Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bethesda really has no excuse for keeping the shambling corpse of gamebryo running or for their lazy quality assurance. Gamebryo itself isn't a terrible engine but when coupled with Bethesda's abysmal bugfixing skills it exacerbates the problems the engine does legitimately suffer from.

my hope is that for starfield, its more of COD 4 engine type deal. where there is still a bits and pieces there but its overall a new engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Motto posted:

Reading the article, it's not "76 won't have bugs", it says "blaming all Bethesda jank on The Engine is built on some misconceptions", which seems uncontroversial? I recall hearing in the wake of telltale dying that a lot of animation issues often blamed on "the engine" lagging was actually those animatioms being genuinely rushed and unfinished due to working conditions.

also generally install/uninstall stuff has nothing to do with the engine so it's a weird thing to put side-by-side with that article

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

Reading the article, it's not "76 won't have bugs", it says "blaming all Bethesda jank on The Engine is built on some misconceptions", which seems uncontroversial? I recall hearing in the wake of telltale dying that a lot of animation issues often blamed on "the engine" lagging was actually those animatioms being genuinely rushed and unfinished due to working conditions.

Pretty much everyone who played the beta with even a whiff of understanding how to mod Fallout or break network coding was able to tear the game wide open and dance on it in ways that are inexcusable for an online game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well that's why their harddrive space is being held for ransom.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my hope is that for starfield, its more of COD 4 engine type deal. where there is still a bits and pieces there but its overall a new engine.

Your hope might be misguided because Todd made it seem pretty clear that Starfield will still be running on Creation/Gamebryo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seinYJ0i2o8

The bits and pieces leftover that you mention will be the same bugs that have permeated every Bethesda game from oblivion to the present.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 15, 2018

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Did anyone else get completely demonetized this morning? Every video I've ever made is yellow right now and most of them are confirmed. It happened to BasedShaman too but I don't really have too many youtubers I'm in contact with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR95GO0zMuY

Jim is not pleased with Fallout 76.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Motto posted:

It’s both.
The community has been modding Bethesda’s games for years upon years and has become intimately familiar with all the enormous problems with their now ancient game engine.
The games aren’t just always buggy, they are always buggy in the same ways over and over again

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

I hope Bethesda eats poo poo for this, but who knows.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Augus posted:

It’s both.
The community has been modding Bethesda’s games for years upon years and has become intimately familiar with all the enormous problems with their now ancient game engine.
The games aren’t just always buggy, they are always buggy in the same ways over and over again

It's hilarious that Skyrim rereleases still have bugs that been in since the release of original Skyrim and that have also been fixed by modders ages ago

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Andrast posted:

It's hilarious that Skyrim rereleases still have bugs that been in since the release of original Skyrim and that have also been fixed by modders ages ago

Some people will get bent out of shape if you call devs lazy, but Bethesda are loving lazy as could be.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean the game's 11 years old and people still buy whatever version comes out for whatever platform, what's their incentive to care

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I mean the game's 11 years old and people still buy whatever version comes out for whatever platform, what's their incentive to care

Same but also microtransactions.

rvm
May 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I think Brad Jones’s days of being someone who’s work is postable in this thread are officially over as of tonight. And good riddance too.

I mean, of all CA alumni hi and Spoony have an ounce of talent, so I'm not sure about that. And I can understand the guy perfectly. If my close relatives were harassed, I'd be pretty pissed off, to say the least, and I might say things I'd regret later... Anyway, the point is, that he is entertaining, unlike most of so called 'Internet Critics', so I don't really care about the drama all that much.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Some of those critics and content producers post in this thread. If you care more about someone's value as an entertainer than the damage they can do to other people in reality, you can gently caress off.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Calaveron posted:

theoretically, any degree of pride in their work

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Oh, hey since someone else bit the bullet and brought up Brad's poor behaviour I guess its now safe for me to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t7qHzuvVMs

The channels small and a lot of the videos are about the Change the Channel thing, but I thought they were pretty measured responses and explained a lot of what went on.

I also like her other content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCvgRlfRTSI

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You know, there's another CA alumni (it's info that's available on the Internet but I see no point in flat out naming them as they've not commented on the recent developments) who was pretty well known to take issues with Brad but the reasons why were never quite understood. Kinda get it now.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Some of those critics and content producers post in this thread. If you care more about someone's value as an entertainer than the damage they can do to other people in reality, you can gently caress off.

Let me clarify. Most internet critics are disposable, as in you can find one that fits your political views, tastes, etc., etc. Spoony has legitimate talent, but his personality and his health issues interferes with it big time, while Brad Jones fills the niche that nobody else really occupies. I mean, Brandon Tenold, for example, tries pretty hard, but he's not there yet in my opinion. I don't care about those people. They aren't my relatives, friends, etc. They don't care about me either. They can post in this thread all they want, but that won't change the fact, that the only thing that I expect of them is their content, and that's the only thing I'm going to judge them on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not sure you should have clarified. It really didn’t do you any favors

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Yeah, "I don't care if they're a horrible person IRL as long as I like their stuff" isn't a good stance to take on this issue.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

rvm posted:

Let me clarify. Most internet critics are disposable, as in you can find one that fits your political views, tastes, etc., etc. Spoony has legitimate talent, but his personality and his health issues interferes with it big time, while Brad Jones fills the niche that nobody else really occupies. I mean, Brandon Tenold, for example, tries pretty hard, but he's not there yet in my opinion. I don't care about those people. They aren't my relatives, friends, etc. They don't care about me either. They can post in this thread all they want, but that won't change the fact, that the only thing that I expect of them is their content, and that's the only thing I'm going to judge them on.

Oh. You’re just an rear end in a top hat. Got it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Anyway, here’s 10 minutes of Mike Stoklasa joyfully rambling about how much he loves ghost hunting TV shows that Jay had to cut from the latest Half in the Bag.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair his original post said as much.

Usually you clarify to make your point clearer, he just restated it.

Lol it’s funny seeing Mike trying to valid his obviously dumb belief.

rvm
May 6, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm not looking for favors. I just thought I was unclear.

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah, "I don't care if they're a horrible person IRL as long as I like their stuff" isn't a good stance to take on this issue.

Messing with their relatives would make most people a horrible person.

And I actually want someone to take Brad's place. He stagnated, and his latest stuff is boring and tedious.

And, honestly, as a Christian anarchist, I see people as fundamentally flawed, and, if I based my viewing habits on my convictions alone, I'd have more or less nothing.

Sorry for the meltdown I guess.

rvm fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 15, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean, you're allowed to keep watching whoever you want. Just... Alison posts in this thread and IMO contributes some awesome stuff, so I'd personally be happier if we avoided putting up any Brad stuff up just to be able to have her stick around and feel comfortable contributing. Though I'm not sure anyone talked that much about his stuff in the thread outside of Channel Awesome scuttlebutt.

Changing topic, here's a new Mark Brown about Symphony of the Night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1hHOVIkrcc

I replayed the game recently myself and I definitely noticed how lacking the second half of the game is. Though I don't totally agree with Mark's assessment that the items are the only reward for exploration; I felt like getting to see all the new cool locations and set pieces (and awesome monsters) was the real reward, and the items just kind of there. (Which makes the second half especially lackluster, since it's mostly the same stuff, only turned upside-down and given a less interesting palette. Also only a few music tracks spread out over looooong distances. Bleah.)

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

rvm posted:

They can post in this thread all they want, but that won't change the fact, that the only thing that I expect of them is their content, and that's the only thing I'm going to judge them on.

:yikes:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rvm posted:

And, honestly, as a Christian anarchist, I see people as fundamentally flawed, and, if I based my viewing habits on my convictions alone, I'd have more or less nothing.

hell yeah post of the year

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

rvm posted:

If I based my viewing habits on my convictions alone, I'd have more or less nothing.
Too long for a new title. :smith:

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Eli Roth missed an opportunity have Mike on the Ghost Stories episode for the former's History of Horror.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

CharlestheHammer posted:

well he's sort of right in that all the alt-right/chud critics I see are completely disposable and are all constantly discussing the exact same loving topics at all the same times so maybe there is something to it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alaois posted:

Is Goons_TXT still updating? Because that's some Grade-A Goons_TXT material there.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Thompsons posted:

well he's sort of right in that all the alt-right/chud critics I see are completely disposable and are all constantly discussing the exact same loving topics at all the same times so maybe there is something to it

I mean, you can safely boycott someone like Orson Scott Card without losing much of anything, but when it comes to, say, Roman Polanski... yeah, good luck with that. Or a whole bunch of great writers of 19th - 20th century who were anti-semites or Nazi sympathizers from good ol' Dost to Knuth Hamsun. (I'm not comparing Brad loving Jones to those people, btw, to be clear.) We're lucky in that most, let's say, right wing folks these days happen to be fervently anti-intellectual and extremely tedious to boot, especially in the field of movie / game / etc. criticism, but that hasn't always been the case.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

dig up stupid

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

bold of you to assume they know how to dig

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Rapidly Going Deaf › Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: I'm not comparing Brad Jones to the Nazis, but...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

Yeah, I mean Lindsay’s reviews are ok, but have you considered how we’re all tainted by the mark of original sin? It’s all I can think about when she’s talking about RENT.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hell yeah let’s bring up Roman Polanski. A dude whose work is literally unavoidable.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Speaking of critics that fill a niche, is there a youtube critic that is similar to MovieBob that isn't a CHUD/Eugenics loving idiot? I'm just looking for quick & lite 10 minute reviews, not 30-40 minutes of rambling at a camera that most critics seem to engage in or super in depth analysis (got that covered)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TheHeadSage posted:

Speaking of critics that fill a niche, is there a youtube critic that is similar to MovieBob that isn't a CHUD/Eugenics loving idiot? I'm just looking for quick & lite 10 minute reviews, not 30-40 minutes of rambling at a camera that most critics seem to engage in or super in depth analysis (got that covered)

like movies.

not reviews, but this dude makes cool interesting videos about generes and directors that are mostly under 20 min.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfjy9IdZ2n0_OIXPf2VQw4Q