Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Noice. I mean, I do occasionally drink Belgian ales/lambics. My favorite belgian style ale isn't even brewed in Belgium. So I'm a big phony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

danbanana posted:

Finding lambic that isn't Boon, Lindemans, or Hanssens in the US is generally pretty hard.

Hanssens is for some reason very rare over here. I've only ever seen the framboos and kriek I think, and I really want to try their gueueze as I hear they're among the most intensely funky and sour lambics.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Noice. I mean, I do occasionally drink Belgian ales/lambics. My favorite belgian style ale isn't even brewed in Belgium. So I'm a big phony.

Is it Allagash White?

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

So Tilquin sells out in the US on the reg?

It hangs out here for years for the regular and in some cases, months for the others. Even 3F is starting to lose it's luster apparently. 2 weeks ago I was at a couple stores that had dozens of 3F gueuze and kriek in 375s and 750s, tilquin ancienne, quetsche, quetsche namur, and mure in both 375 and 750s just chillin out and very reasonable (<10 USD for 375s and <18USD for 750s). Naturally I bought like 5 of each.

My local store is still working through the Tilquin 15-16 bottles with some 16-17 mixed in at $8 US a pop. The cuvee rene is basically free at $4.51 US a bottle.

But we don't get boon where I am, US 6 packs are 20+ each, and the cheapest macro/AALs are around $48/24 pack. Fair trade I'd say.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

No_talent posted:

It hangs out here for years for the regular and in some cases, months for the others. Even 3F is starting to lose it's luster apparently. 2 weeks ago I was at a couple stores that had dozens of 3F gueuze and kriek in 375s and 750s, tilquin ancienne, quetsche, quetsche namur, and mure in both 375 and 750s just chillin out and very reasonable (<10 USD for 375s and <18USD for 750s). Naturally I bought like 5 of each.

My local store is still working through the Tilquin 15-16 bottles with some 16-17 mixed in at $8 US a pop. The cuvee rene is basically free at $4.51 US a bottle.

But we don't get boon where I am, US 6 packs are 20+ each, and the cheapest macro/AALs are around $48/24 pack. Fair trade I'd say.

In CA it's kind of spotty. They'll hang out on shelves for a bit and then be gone for a bit. 3F has started to become the "thinking man's Cantillon" so it moves pretty quick and Cantillon flies off the shelves because it's like the third "best ever" beer people learn after Pliny and Westy12 or some poo poo

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

No_talent posted:

I think a fresh batch of 3F just went out about a month ago, my store doesn't normally have any left, but had everything in stock when I was in, presumably a restock in time for the festive season.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Really wanted to join the BIF this year, but I have too many beers in the fridge and I'm pretty sure that I will get stabbed. Look forward to seeing the hauls and how much I missed out.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I wasn't looking, as I've had a tough month and don't have the cash to splash on y'all, but did any UK/Euro goons join in, so I know for future?

Cause trying to ship booze safely to the states is awful.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
OG tilquin is easily the best and someone buying the prunes de namur variant over that is a horrible person.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Biomute posted:

Is it Allagash White?

North Coast brew Brother Thelonious. Which I just read has a 3.81 rating! Looks like I have garbage taste and I am garbage human.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

mehall posted:

I wasn't looking, as I've had a tough month and don't have the cash to splash on y'all, but did any UK/Euro goons join in, so I know for future?

I would have, but I figured it was just for the US folks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

North Coast brew Brother Thelonious. Which I just read has a 3.81 rating! Looks like I have garbage taste and I am garbage human.

It's ok dude we all start somewhere. Never feel bad about what you enjoy and never feel intimidated by what you read online. Also stop giving a poo poo about beer ratings. Seriously.

Be open to trying new beers and styles. Heck, you may find out your favorite drink is something odd and goofy like rye pilsners or dry Spanish ciders.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
So funkybottoms sent me some of the Ardent/Off Color collab!

And like 12 other loving beers that I didn’t ask for so gently caress him. My pregnant wife is not going to be happy when I drink 32 oz of a barrel aged doppelbock tomorrow....

Anyway, If You Please is loving great: light, yeasty, wonderful lemon and gin-spices integration. The easy comparison is Allagash House with some extra stuff going on. This is as good as any OC beer i've had and I've had almost all of them...

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Spanish Manlove posted:

dry Spanish ciders.

lmao at this guy not drinking Basque ciders...

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Biomute posted:

I would have, but I figured it was just for the US folks.

Can maybe try and get a UK one sorted in the new year

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We've had real bad luck with international BiF shipping before, 100% failure rate - but setting up a specifically-UK/Euro one might be fun. You could call it a B(rexit)iF!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Biomute posted:

lmao at your two-thousand-and-late rear end not drinking Asturian cider

danbanana posted:

So funkybottoms sent me some of the Ardent/Off Color collab!

And like 12 other loving beers that I didn’t ask for so gently caress him. My pregnant wife is not going to be happy when I drink 32 oz of a barrel aged doppelbock tomorrow....

Anyway, If You Please is loving great: light, yeasty, wonderful lemon and gin-spices integration. The easy comparison is Allagash House with some extra stuff going on. This is as good as any OC beer i've had and I've had almost all of them...

give her some of that doppelbock and she'll cheer right up/pass out; it doesn't taste anywhere close to its actual ABV.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Biomute posted:

it's a joke because I would solely drink those every day if I could.

Well maybe one of these days I'll be able to afford to go back to Spain and make a trip up to asturias again. Maybe. One day. :unsmith:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's ok dude we all start somewhere. Never feel bad about what you enjoy and never feel intimidated by what you read online. Also stop giving a poo poo about beer ratings. Seriously.

Be open to trying new beers and styles. Heck, you may find out your favorite drink is something odd and goofy like rye pilsners or dry Spanish ciders.

Haha no worries, I never understood the beer rate thing anyway. I feel like anything above a 3 in a scale of 5 is pretty ok.

I drink pbrs and modelo on the regular! I'm a man of simple taste !

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Modelo negra is the poo poo

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:modelotime:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Seconding the deliciousness of the Ardent/Off Color collab. Dry and zesty, very surprisingly quenching and slammable for something with juniper and peppercorns. Pounded that crowler like it was nothing. The crowler of BA doppelbock looms threateningly over my Friday night.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mehall posted:

Can maybe try and get a UK one sorted in the new year

Id be up for that totally.

Recently picked up these

http://imgur.com/a/MG59XCJ

From Yonder, I hadn't really heard of them before but excellent beers, really interesting honey and hay wild beer and a plum and thyme beer. Not tried the Dunstanes Exile yet which is a mix of wine and beer yeasts with grains of paradise, orange peel, juniper berries and lavender.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Id be up for that totally.

Recently picked up these

http://imgur.com/a/MG59XCJ

From Yonder, I hadn't really heard of them before but excellent beers, really interesting honey and hay wild beer and a plum and thyme beer. Not tried the Dunstanes Exile yet which is a mix of wine and beer yeasts with grains of paradise, orange peel, juniper berries and lavender.

Those exact three from Yonder just came in to my local store, I was thinking about picking up the plum and thyme one.

Not been in yet though, just saw on the stores twitter feed.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mehall posted:

Those exact three from Yonder just came in to my local store, I was thinking about picking up the plum and thyme one.

Not been in yet though, just saw on the stores twitter feed.

I would recommend. Not for everyone like any tart wheat beer but I found it very nice, plums are subtle thyme comes though well, nice and floral.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
drinking austrian trappist beer :D

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Edit - ticket is gone

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 17, 2018

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Look at all this garbage beer I'm def not gonna buy for the beer exchange

:ninja:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The people who want to buy and drink a bottle of 4 year old IPA are wrong in the head

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Well it's a belgian ipa so you shouldn't buy it anyway.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
So Great Notion has an IPA called Space Invader and they're having to change the name because the game company that owns the rights to the name told then they need to stop using it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

dphi posted:

So Great Notion has an IPA called Space Invader and they're having to change the name because the game company that owns the rights to the name told then they need to stop using it.

When will craft beer brewers learn to not be dipshits? Not until thier lawyers make them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dphi posted:

They should change the name to Illegal Aliens

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Picked up two cases of Fuzzy Baby Ducks at the can release today. Keeping one for myself and the SO, I’ll give out the other six packs for gifts.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Biomute posted:

For Belgians I would go:

Rochefort 8 (10 is not as drinkable)
Westmalle Tripel (has a superior bitterness)
Orval (awesome fresh, awesome aged, pour carefully)
Saison Dupont (defines the style for many, best value beer in the world imo)
A good Gueuze (3F and Cantillon are hard to get and expensive so I would go with Tilquin, maybe Beersel if you just want to dip your toe with something mild)

UK beers:

Anything Fullers is pretty good and available, just check the date.

I'd go Kernel over fullers for any given beer personally, but that'll definitely be harder to find stateside.

Siren, Cloudwater, Magic Rock, Northern Monk are great and should be gettable in the US?

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 18, 2018

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

mehall posted:

I didn't because likewise I assumed nobody else was from the uk/eu here. But I'm definitely up for that in the future.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Fullers ESB is not overrated. Drinking that smooth at 5.8% is not really responsible though.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
Just picked up a collab beer made with a brewery that's local to my BiF person that they can't get there :frogc00l:

Not sure who you are but you're gettin a nice box. Not shipping for at least a week tho.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Biomute posted:

Fullers ESB is not overrated. Drinking that smooth at 5.8% is not really responsible though.

Most of their stuff is pretty bland and forgettable, esb and anniversary ale are the only good ones I've had in the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Klaus Kinski posted:

Most of their stuff is pretty bland and forgettable, esb and anniversary ale are the only good ones I've had in the last few years.

London Porter is loving good.

Also good: the last of these Ardent Pilsners. The other two were very very good too.