Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Has anyone with a Pokéball Plus tried connecting to a PC to see if it shows up as a regular gamepad like the Joy-Cons do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kly posted:

im new to switch but cant you just push the button on top to put it to sleep?

Yes that is correct

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Someone released a ROM claiming it was the new Pokémon Let’s Go game for cracked Switches for pirates and it turns out it’s code that bricks the Switch and I’m :laffo:ing at some of the responses on the site because they have no self awareness to them

lmao

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Leal posted:

Phantasy Star was the one with the hackers who could do crazy poo poo like delete your inventory right?
That was Phantasy Star Online, but yes for the most part. The game was ridiculously easy to cheat in without consequences and certain game crash scenarios could delete all non-equipped items from your player inventory.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm pretty pro homebrow myself but lol at the righteous indignation on those posts. Shouldn't have been playing with piracy if you can't handle the possibility of bricking a $200 device, lovely prank or no lovely prank

And by lovely I mean hilarious. They bricked their switch trying to play (imo) a game not worth ruining your console over.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Beastie posted:

Anybody know if Let’s Go will unlock tonight?

First party games traditionally do, but I'm not quite sure if Pokémon is considered a first party game. Who knows!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

enojy posted:

First party games traditionally do, but I'm not quite sure if Pokémon is considered a first party game. Who knows!

It looks like it will unlock at 11pm Central, so hooray for working from home tomorrow.

I could have bought it off my Aussie or JP account, but by the time amazon approves the transaction I’d end getting it like an hour early. Thanks to the goon that suggested that.

We’re gonna play it tonight and this weekend before we decide on the PokePlus doodad.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

.TakaM posted:

I'll admit the weapon selecting is cumbersome in SM, but I'm talking more about the general gameplay of how Samus controls.
I love the controls of Super Metroid and I think it's the best of the 2D games because it provides more finesse and gameplay options.
I prefer controls that require some level of skill to master and offer a higher skill ceiling, the GBA games are awesome but the controls are so simple there's barely any depth to the gameplay.

Not really sure what's so obnoxious about aiming diagonally in SM either, the fact it has separate buttons for diagonally up and down?

Exactly what you said. The GBA games just have a toggle you hold down, and you push up to aim diagonally up and down to aim diagonally down. Simple. I don't have to remember which shoulder button is mapped to up and which down.

Also I don't know what you mean about simple controls in the GBA games vs. Super Metroid. The games control... fundamentally the same. If the GBA games are "simpler" it's just because they have fewer buttons, and yet they still manage to not cram 6 different things on one lousy button. And the GBA games had plenty of depth. The Shinespark puzzles in Fusion and especially Zero Mission were downright devilish. That was some good poo poo. What does Super Metroid gain by making you hold down a button to Shinespark?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Has anyone with a Pokéball Plus tried connecting to a PC to see if it shows up as a regular gamepad like the Joy-Cons do?

I see I'm not the only one eagerly awaiting the Dark Souls runs :hmmyes:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
also Super Metroid is clunky as poo poo but also a good game, namaste

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Anyone else tried playing Wasteland 2? I kind of burned out on Valkyria Profile 4 at about the Winter Witch level (oh great another mechanic to deal with) and so grabbed it but man is it hard to tell what's going on in handheld mode. I don't really have much opportunity to use TV mode these days, but I'm hoping it's a vastly improved visual experience.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Super Hydorah is beautiful

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Blazingflare/status/1063230045785706496

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Exactly what you said. The GBA games just have a toggle you hold down, and you push up to aim diagonally up and down to aim diagonally down. Simple. I don't have to remember which shoulder button is mapped to up and which down.

Also I don't know what you mean about simple controls in the GBA games vs. Super Metroid. The games control... fundamentally the same. If the GBA games are "simpler" it's just because they have fewer buttons, and yet they still manage to not cram 6 different things on one lousy button. And the GBA games had plenty of depth. The Shinespark puzzles in Fusion and especially Zero Mission were downright devilish. That was some good poo poo. What does Super Metroid gain by making you hold down a button to Shinespark?
Well, I think it's much more clunky having to adjust the diagonal aim up and down, I say it's more streamlined having separate buttons to aim in different directions.
I'm talking about how you can't do a lot of stuff in the GBA games that you can do in SM, like how mid air morphing cancels your momentum, how you could angle your shots by moving and shooting at the same time.

If anything, my point is your issues with the game are subjective and they're the reason the game is one of my favourites.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Metroid 2 was an impressive game for the time but the lack of color and screen crunch makes it much more frustrating to navigate than Metroid 1. Samus Returns is much better and worth playing.
The movement/combat mechanics of Metroid 2 are much closer to Super Metroid than NES Metroid. I also argue that it's a more accessible game due to save points (admittedly resolved by save states) and health refills. It's true that the backgrounds having a single color palette means that navigation is, perhaps, more difficult than NES Metroid. However it's also a more linear game and you're, more or less, locked into smaller areas so finding the critical path is much easier. There's very little random bombing of walls like in NES Metroid's Norfair.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Would it be better to get the 3DS VC version of Metroid II or just get the Samus Returns remake? Does it do to 2 what Zero Mission does does to Metroid?
If you like NES Metroid in 2018 I would give Metroid 2 a shot. Samus Returns is a good game in its own right, but there's too many changes to the gameplay and atmosphere to make it a definitive replacement for Metroid 2.

If you haven't already played it, you may want to give Axiom Verge a try at some point. It has a contentious reputation here, but it's very much a spiritual reimagining of NES Metroid. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if they did a hard reset before playing

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Lmao yikes

Viridian forest looking pretty cool otherwise though

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Leal posted:

Why does Mr Mime have dodge balls on his shoulders

they googled 'realistic pokemon' and hired the the guy behind the first result

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

it's not pokemon if it's not running <10 fps

those 3d models are gonna have to last at least one more console generation

RME posted:

they googled 'realistic pokemon' and hired the the guy behind the first result
I just love this fact so much

both because of the ridiculousness of doing that without understanding the context, but also because it's nice that they actually hired the dude

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Super Metroid is an incredible game and i've played it with its original controls before but generally i prefer to just use the Control Freak romhack when i replay it now, which just makes it control more like the GBA games

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Your Computer posted:

it's not pokemon if it's not running <10 fps

those 3d models are gonna have to last at least one more console generation

I just love this fact so much

both because of the ridiculousness of doing that without understanding the context, but also because it's nice that they actually hired the dude

i hate it because of the result

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's the same forest as kokiri forest, that's why

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Also, Japanese companies and gamers seem to not give a gently caress about frame rates or resolution.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RME posted:

i hate it because of the result

that, too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Also, Japanese companies and gamers seem to not give a gently caress about frame rates or resolution.

...the gently caress?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Elderbean posted:

...except for when they do

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

now excuse me while I gear up for a hearty round of fallout with a buttery smooth framerate of "around 15ish, give or take"

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Heath posted:

Super Hydorah is beautiful

Hydorah is an awesome game and I wholly recommend it to anyone who likes shmups. It's like a playful, less stodgy Gradius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaVsNc2rFdg

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 16, 2018

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That looks really cool, although it's a shame the size of the areas is limited to the size of the areas in the old Game Boy games.

I'm not saying Pokemon needs to be Breath of the Wild, but something like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, where every town has a big open area just outside it, would be pretty fantastic.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Just how Super is Super Hydorah? I played the original release back when it first came out and loved it, but $20 seems steep when the PC version is free.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's portable. :shrug: 20 bucks is a bit steep but I'm enjoying it enough that I feel like I'll get my money's worth. And if it motivates people to port more cool indie stuff, all the better.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m new to buying “not digital” and even newer to buying games from Best Buy. If I have Pokemon on preorder for in store pickup from BB, do I need to wait for an email tomorrow or just go in at open?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Just how Super is Super Hydorah? I played the original release back when it first came out and loved it, but $20 seems steep when the PC version is free.

Similar in scope to the changes between Maldita Castilla and the EX version. A handful of new levels and weapons, some tweeks and improvements to the original content, and notably, 2 player local co-op.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 16, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Feenix posted:

I’m new to buying “not digital” and even newer to buying games from Best Buy. If I have Pokemon on preorder for in store pickup from BB, do I need to wait for an email tomorrow or just go in at open?

You’ll get an email telling you it’s ready.... probably tonight even.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MarcusSA posted:

You’ll get an email telling you it’s ready.... probably tonight even.

Thank you for your service.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

.TakaM posted:

Well, I think it's much more clunky having to adjust the diagonal aim up and down, I say it's more streamlined having separate buttons to aim in different directions.
I'm talking about how you can't do a lot of stuff in the GBA games that you can do in SM, like how mid air morphing cancels your momentum, how you could angle your shots by moving and shooting at the same time.

If anything, my point is your issues with the game are subjective and they're the reason the game is one of my favourites.

I mean it's all subjective, innit? It is my subjective opinion that Fusion and Zero Mission are both better games. :shrug: The separate buttons for diagonal shots annoyed me, right enough. However the GBA games didn't even have the best way to do directional shots. That would be Samus Returns. Hold down button, can aim in any direction. That's the good poo poo.

Anyway I'm not saying Super Metroid is a bad game. Just that the game that came after it refined on what it started and came up with something better.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Here's what's new in the Super version:
  • All the levels and graphics have been tweaked and reworked to be gooder
  • Optional CRT filter, if that's your jam
  • Each level now has an extra secret hidden in it
  • Shield powerups to make hard areas less frustrating
  • Autosaves after every level, if you're not quite good enough to beat it in one sitting (yet!)
  • 5 new levels consisting of 8 new sublevels.
  • 5 new bosses and ~30 new enemies
  • ~11 new songs
  • Two player mode! With a Robot Chase multiplayer minigame
  • "Rookie Shield" mode - take three hits instead of one before dying, but your score is halved.
  • Supports cool indie devs that have put out so many awesome free games

The Kins fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 16, 2018

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Also trying to weigh the value of the deluxe version of an originally freeware game is kind of flawed thinking. Locomalito is an indie dev who comes from the pre-steam time before charging for your work was a very viable way to get it into players' hands. And Hydorah is a great, polished game compared to most of the fluff showing up in the eshop. The fact that it's been free for years is a cool bonus, but I feel that it is worth more than free. Uh, waiting for a sale is cool too, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh poo poo I played some mighty bomb Jack and actually really liked it