Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Awesome! posted:

yeah i find like 3+ pens every league

I have terrible luck with them. I've found 2 void batteries while finding 0 poet's pen this league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
In terms of leveling starter characters in new leagues or in self found, what's more important in terms of progressing -- 4/5 links or rare stats?

I find I seem like I hit a problem even in leveling builds where I either find my 4Ls early and then get locked into pretty crappy gear because I can't get anything else good to drop and don't want to drop all my gem links, or have decent rare rolls but immediately blow all my fusings trying to get 4Ls and a 5L on my chest.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Stats are probably more important. Your DPS drops to 0 if you're dead, after all.

vvv Having one 4L for your main skill is legit though

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Aerox posted:

In terms of leveling starter characters in new leagues or in self found, what's more important in terms of progressing -- 4/5 links or rare stats?

I find I seem like I hit a problem even in leveling builds where I either find my 4Ls early and then get locked into pretty crappy gear because I can't get anything else good to drop and don't want to drop all my gem links, or have decent rare rolls but immediately blow all my fusings trying to get 4Ls and a 5L on my chest.

I stopped really caring about trying to get a 4l for anything but my main skill and it super helped the leveling process. like, you probably don't need a 4l CWDT setup until maps, who really cares about your orb of storms + curse on hit + ele weakness setup for bossing, etc. Manually cast your golem, set up some auras, get a good 4l for your main skill and movement skill and your probably all set.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Hmmm I've never played a witch so this league seems like a good time to try it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Aerox posted:

The proper answer is it depends on build, but the practical one is neither. Every class can level with 3 links. Sure, 4-5 is better and awesome max rolled mods is great, but far more important than all of that is making sure you're using skills suitable for levelling.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Both links and stats are important, it's not an either/or situation. It's worth wearing an item with bad stats if it's your only 4 link option but probably not worth wearing a 2nd bad item just for the 4th link.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Don't bother trying to link anything yourself until maps. Just alch or essence a random white 4link you find and use it for your main skill until you get to endgame, barring finding a better 4link. You can use the rest of your gear to fill in life and Res and don't really need much else in the way of links for most builds until finishing them up.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Cool, thanks!

Similar question as well -- when you're leveling a more expensive build that requires a bunch of specific uniques, are there any kind of goto skills/builds to use for leveling when your main build is totally non-feasible for pre map content before you get your level 66/70 uniques? I've only been playing budget/starter builds that are viable from the getgo, and when I look at a lot of builds on the forums they often don't have any info other than a fully completed skill tree and a list of end game gear and I'm never sure how to get to that point.

Thanks for all the responses! Coming back has been fun so far and I think I'm really going to dive in seriously for this next league.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can level basically any build with sunder or a spell like firestorm or arc or bv

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Can I get a guild invite again? SageNorthcuttt

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Are there any builds out there that use Bladefall or is it just a terrible skill?

A few leagues back (actually, more than a few now that I think about it) I did a maxblock Gladiator that used Aegis Aurora to be nigh-unkillable and ran Blade Flurry CWC Bladefall for offense. It was fun.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

"All Veiled mods will be craftable at your crafting bench once they're unveiled."

So, multimod items are going to be the default endgame for, uh, everything now right?

e: also, is it possible for a party to play the ctf pvp because i am at my loving wits end trying to get into a pubby match for this achievement

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 16, 2018

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Andy Dufresne posted:

Can I get a guild invite again? SageNorthcuttt

dantae posted:

Could I get a guild invite prior to the league start rush? My character name is secret_witchlord

Betrayal sounds real cool and I think I finally got some friends interested in playing!

Invite sent

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I could use a reinvite too, Chaotically

e: thanks Rodent

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 16, 2018

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
A few thoughts about veiled mods:

1) Veiled mods seem to be in the same category as benchcrafted mods, suggesting that they can probably be rerolled if you have an item with great rolls and a crappy veiled mod.

2) Some veiled mods could be quite rare. Therefore, there could be enormous trade value in landing a rare one on your account and then selling the ability to benchcraft them for others. There could also be value in mass selling veiled items in hopes that one of them will roll your desired veiled mod.

3) If the ability to craft these mods sticks post-Betrayal, any standard players are going to want to play as much Betrayal as possible to power up their entire account.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Arrhythmia posted:

e: also, is it possible for a party to play the ctf pvp because i am at my loving wits end trying to get into a pubby match for this achievement

i’ve been meaning to organize something to get a bunch of goons that achievement. maybe the first weekend after betrayal starts?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Wait...this game has PvP?

:v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Arrhythmia posted:

Why not just not get the achievement

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Wafflecopper posted:

Why not just not get the achievement

mods??

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is there anything comparable in terms of being very tanky and not needing to push many buttons to RF Jugg? I've played that a few times in recent leagues and I'm starting to get a bit bored of it, but stuff where I have to spam abilities, though cooler, does get annoying for me. Maybe summoner?

Is there any hot new tech in terms of gems/uniques for either of those?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Soulwrest (a unique staff) makes for a fun extra variety of summoner. Pair it with permanent minions or rely on the phantasms it makes with any corpse consuming skill.

It's quite strong, though I don't know that it has the potential to scale quite as drastically as other builds.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

zxqv8 posted:

Soulwrest (a unique staff) makes for a fun extra variety of summoner. Pair it with permanent minions or rely on the phantasms it makes with any corpse consuming skill.

It's quite strong, though I don't know that it has the potential to scale quite as drastically as other builds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZRRFs-cWdA

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Jack the Lad posted:

Is there anything comparable in terms of being very tanky and not needing to push many buttons to RF Jugg? I've played that a few times in recent leagues and I'm starting to get a bit bored of it, but stuff where I have to spam abilities, though cooler, does get annoying for me. Maybe summoner?

A lot of summoner builds actually require a lot of button pushing, you've got your offering, spell to curse and proc EE, your movement skill, your summon for temp summons or convocation for permanent summons and potentially an additional spell to create corpses for your offering during boss fights. I've probably felt more ability slot starved on summoners than just about any other build.

You can automate with cwdt or cut some of these out but you're likely cutting efficiency to do so. You can also look at specific builds like soulwrest that cut out the need to summon or convocate.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

zxqv8 posted:

Don't know how available Soulwrest will be since it's from Delve only IIRC

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I mean, we'll be delving this next league too

Also I thought it was just a unique that was introduced this league, not an exclusive drop

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jack the Lad posted:

Maybe a Death's Oath build?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ele hit scion is ele hit and blink arrow. you can add like decoy totem, phase run, weapon swap with fortify but they arent needed

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What time of day does the league start usually? I know mid league patches tend to be very late evening for me (the signal that I should go to bed), is that still the case and if so is it the Thursday/Friday or Friday/Saturday?

I usually just get into it on the Saturday but I've got some leave to burn and figured I may as well take a day for monster clicking.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Usually Friday afternoon, like 3 or 4pm eastern

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Jack the Lad posted:

A lot of melee builds use one main skill, warchief and their movement skill. All other skills can be tied into cwdt.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

So, I'm thinking of playing with a Slayer (SSF), maybe with Cyclone or Earthquake or something. Played around a bit with a Double Strike Slayer this league and fell in love with the absurd leech. Good or bad idea?

My goal is being able to do T12 to T15s (maybe 16?) fairly comfortably.

Edit: Oh yeah, obviously using 2H.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Should be solid. Reasonable 2h uniques are pretty common nowadays, and vaal ds can shore up your dps for bosses.

I'd just go scion with slayer as one of the picks, but you do you

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
What advantages do mines have over traps and torems? Trying to figure out why there's so many gc mine builds and not gc traps/totems

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
GC totems are definitely a thing but mines are nice because the mine support gem gives a big damage multiplier and the targeting on them works better than if you used traps (for GC specifically).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BobbyK posted:

What advantages do mines have over traps and torems? Trying to figure out why there's so many gc mine builds and not gc traps/totems

They're like traps but you don't need an enemy to set them off.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Deformed Church posted:

What time of day does the league start usually? I know mid league patches tend to be very late evening for me (the signal that I should go to bed), is that still the case and if so is it the Thursday/Friday or Friday/Saturday?

I usually just get into it on the Saturday but I've got some leave to burn and figured I may as well take a day for monster clicking.

There's two answers: when they aim for the league to start, and when the leagues actually ends up being stable and playable without 20k long login queues.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Do gem MTX work when its cast via a totem?

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jack the Lad posted:

Death's oath + Blight on a trickster is very simple. Shield charge around, shoot a quick blight and everything is dead. One added button for bosses to place your wither totem. It's not as tanky or as damaging as RF jugg but it's fast and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

LordVorbis posted:

Do gem MTX work when its cast via a totem?

Yes, totem mtx are applied separately to the support gem