Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There's a mod for that, unsurprisingly. Kinda weird when they get kills without dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I love Coast but I've spent 3 campaigns trying to find a use for Animated Hulks and have not yet succeeded. Literally the only advantage I can think of is that they're one tier lower than Mournguls(in a faction that cares less about unit tier than any other faction).

I can't fathom why they didn't give them some kind of niche, like poisoned attacks or anti-large or hand cannons or something that makes them not "worse Mournguls in every possible way".

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

man, i really do not like taking Itza as lord skrolk. the garrison there is just nuts.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

I love Coast but I've spent 3 campaigns trying to find a use for Animated Hulks and have not yet succeeded. Literally the only advantage I can think of is that they're one tier lower than Mournguls(in a faction that cares less about unit tier than any other faction).

I can't fathom why they didn't give them some kind of niche, like poisoned attacks or anti-large or hand cannons or something that makes them not "worse Mournguls in every possible way".

They, uh, look kind of neat?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

I feel like hulks would be better if they could actually use their cannon arms (it's weird to me that they're entirely ornamental). Make them work like some of the melee units in the historical games that are armed with javelins - they get a fairly powerful short ranged attack with very little ammo, so they can disrupt a charge or just fire off a few volleys to soften up a target before charging in. It would help make them more distinct from the other monsters.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Kanos posted:

I think they're a kind of mediocre MP unit rather than a campaign one. They're nothing great but they don't cost too much for a line breaker while the mourns cost a ton for their niche.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

juggalo baby coffin posted:

man, i really do not like taking Itza as lord skrolk. the garrison there is just nuts.

plague destroys lizardmen

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
As Luthor Harkon, are you supposed to just get DOWed by every single Lizardmen and roaming army that you come across?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yeah actually. Any lord that has a SPECIFIC distaste for a race such as harkon for lizards is translated as they have a huge hate-on for you in return.

Kill 'em all. You're their alith anar. Pirates hate lizards.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

Vampire captains get the hunger innately, they don't have to spend a skill point on it like the Counts' version but its in their ability list.

Actually, I just double checked, and in my Noctilus campaign they definitely don't have it as a default skill or as a campaign skill. No "The Hunger" for vampire captains on Noctilus. Maybe it's just for that campaign?

Does anyone have a good AI replacement for "Advanced AI" which apparently isn't getting updated anymore

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
re: Daemons of Chaos talk, it wouldn't surprise me if CA goes with a lesser/greater daemon spread for every god. N'Kari was mentioned cryptically in a couple of epilogues and it wouldn't surprise me to see... them, I guess? as a Lord. And if you're going to have a Keeper of Secrets, might as well have the rest of the greater daemons.

Man, can't wait to have Kolek fight a Bloodthirster.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

TODAYS MAYBE WH3 LL CHAOS GOD: TZEENTCH

How inquisitive
I'm delighted
You've inquired
Who the hell I am

Allow me to elucidate
Perhaps pontificate
Upon the state of my most
Great and perfect plan

Tzeentch: the tricky trickster who tricks, trickily. chaos god of change, fate, hope, ambition, plans, more plans, being a dick all the drat time for no reason, and taking credit for stuff. Nurgle hates him cause nurgle is pretty anti-hope and change, preferring comfy sadness and the status-quo. Tzeentch might have had a hand in encouraging Nagash's ambition to be a big time fucker who created the undead, another mark against him in Nurgle's book.

When Slaanesh was born, Tzeentch tricked he/she/them into starting a war with Khorne and Nurgle, only to peace out at the last second and leave slaanesh to be hit with bodyslam after bodyslam from the top rope by a vengeful Khorne. Tzeentch also tricked Skarbrand, Khorne's greatest bloodthirster, into trying to take out Khorne and become the new big daddy of being red and mad. Skarbrand ended up being thrown so hard he flew for a week before he hit the ground. He tricked Balthasar Gelt into trying to kill Valten, after having tricked him into taking up necromancy in order to maintain the wall of faith that he had tricked all the priests out of maintaining.

His plans don't really go anywhere, because if they did and he won it would be a new status quo, the most he does is gently caress up other peoples plans. It's like that yugioh cartoon they used to show on saturday mornings, where 50% of the dialogue was people playing trap cards that triggered other trap cards, all of which had 700 effects. Nobody wins, especially not the viewer. he is a very lovely boss, because despite his colour being blue and his granting of wishes, he isn't at all like the Aladdin genie. he's much more like the Wishmaster genie, where his entire goal is to get one person to make three wishes, but he makes all the wishes he grants so horrible that nobody ever will ask for the third. you end up serving tzeentch, you guaranteed will end up trapped in 600 stupid intrigues and some sort of ironic curse.

his minions include chaos spawn, guys flying around on evil frisbees, and big pink firebreathing pac-mans who split into smaller blue pac-mans when slain.

Tzeentchampions

Vilitch the Curseling

who run barter town?

Vilitch and Thomin were born twins in some village, somewhere. Thomin was big and strong, Vilitch was weak and feeble. Thomin was a big time dickhead, always beating Vilitch, and their father never bothered to intervene. Vilitch prayed to Tzeentch one night, and when he woke up he was fused to his brothers body as a weird mutant goblin guy. Fortunately he now controlled his brother completely, and also got really strong magic powers for some reason. Using his combined brains and brawn he destroyed the whole village, who kind of had it coming, and tracked down every warrior descended from his village and mind controlled them as his minions.

In the End Times for some reason things got switched up and Thomin took control again and Vilitch became mindless. I dont know how that helps tzeentch cause I dont think thomin knows any magic or really anything at all, but whatever. The end times was stupid.

He's my pick for Tzeentch LL #1, because hes one of Tzeentch's only real characters, he's current, and people like him.

pros:
- two heads are better than one
- runs barter town
- cool looking

cons:
- stupid eventual fate
- might have kind of a whiny personality

The Blue Scribes

teamwork makes the scheme work

These guys are BY FAR my favourite Tzeentch guys. i like em so much i want them more than i want big hats for the chaos dwarves. however, i dont think they will make it in as a LL because prior to WH2 i wrote my predictions for WH2's launch LLs, and my main pick for skaven was my beloved guy Thanquol. I thought it was inconceivable for him to not get in, with how much personality he has and how funny he is. He didn't get in. These two are WH3's thanquol.

Tzeentch one time wanted to gather up every spell in the universe, so he created two minions to do it: P'tarix and Xirat'p, The Blue Scribes of Tzeentch. But Tzeentch is a paranoid motherfucker, and feared what would happen if anyone got a hold of the records the twins had made, or if the twins got it into their heads to go into business for themselves. So as a security measure, he made it so that P'Tarix can identify spells and write them down in a language of arcane glyphs, but cannot read what he has written. Xirat'p, on the other hand, can't write, doesn't understand anything about magic, but can recite the spell scrolls perfectly to cast them.

The system is supposed to be that they find a spell, P'Tarix writes it down, then Xirat'p casts it to make sure the spell is the real thing. But given that they fly around the mortal realm by themselves looking for spells, they get into a lot of scrapes, and when they get into scrapes, what tends to happen is a lot of squabbling as they get frustrated trying to find and cast the right spell for the situation. They're a demonic abbot and costello, constantly casting random spells by mistake. I love them.

Pros:
- super fun
- two stooges
- great spellcasting
- cute
- lots of personality

cons:
- too cool to end up in a game
- random spellcasting

Kairos Fateweaver

the big bird of sesame street

Kairos is a Lord of Change, Tzeentch's signature big bird demon. Sarthoreal from total warhammer 1 is a lord of change, so same family. Tzeentch got mad he couldnt see the future so he went to the well of eternity in the center of time, but just to be safe he threw in a whole bunch of lords of change instead of going in himself. Only Kairos survived, and when he came back out he had two heads. one could see the past, one could see the future, but both were blind so he can't see the present at all. Also one head tells the truth and one always lies, because hes a dick. He can see stuff that even Tzeentch can't, so he uses that to have a little fun with people.

Not a bad character, he could be a fun sneaky bird, but we already have Sarthoriel so CA might just go with their pre-existing lord of change lord over Kairos. Please pretend this entry is also about Sarthoriel, cause I think theres a chance of them shining him up to be the tzeentch LL for WH3, but I dont want to write a post about him because he doesn't really have a story beyond what is in the game already.

pros:
- twice the bird, twice the nerd
- classic riddler
- got a very big pretty model recently

cons:
- kind of the stock tzeentch guy
- probably irritating to be around with all his riddles

THE CHANGELING

i been to the desert on a horror with no name

this boy is another special horror like the blue scribes, a special boy cooked up for a special purpose. in this case, his purpose is to turn into other people and cause mischief. Only Tzeentch knows his actual name, so only tzeentch can have power over him. But despite that, Tzeentch doesn't actually ever make him do anything. he lets the changeling do whatever it wants, and then takes credit for the result having been his plan all along (seriously).

I'm being kind of flippant about this guy, but i do actually like him. He pulls a LOT of pranks. He cut off slaanesh's hair and wove it into a cloak that tzeentch gave to one of his mortal champions, he locked Khornes doors to his house behind him when Khorne went out to war, so Khorne had to break down his own door. he stole all of khornes dogs' brass collars, and melted them down into little dioramas of times Khorne and his forces lost battles. He put nurglings on the skull throne, so they all farted when khorne sat on them. He stole Slaanesh's silver apples of knowledge, snuck them into nurgles garden, then got bored and abandoned them there to rot. Slaanesh and Nurgle had a mini war over that incident.

Everyone hates the changeling, but they can't ever catch him. I'm not sure he is LL material though, I could see him as more some kind of special immortal agent the tzeentch faction would start with, like cylostra's ghost paladin.

pros:
- prankster
- good sense of fun
- imitates guys and doesn't afraid of anything

cons:
- yes he has done a LOT of cons

so all four of those guys have very recent models, are relevant in the end times lore, and even in age of sigmar, and I think are all popular. For every chaos god there are a bunch of very, very old champions who CA could always dredge up, but its not really worth me writing them up because in most cases they don't have anything to write up. They're just guys with very short backgrounds from a book in the 80s. Tzeentch's guys like that are Egrim Van Horstmann (a traitor white wizard from the empire, the most powerful wizard to ever defect), Melekh (a guy with a deformed son who ended up with magic powers through events), Aekold Helbrass (guy who makes stuff come to life around him wherever he goes), and Tzchar'zanek (generic chaos champion who i guess was in warhammer online).

here are pics of them in the order i listed them:

this post has taught me that unlike what i said before, tzeentch does actually have some cool and likeable characters, so thank you for that, this post.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

do you have any links to your old posts from your wh2 guesses and all that i'd love to read all sorts of lores and i like how you post em

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i'm finding that the most dangerous thing for my pirate armies by far is shallow hills my gunners can't shoot over and enemy archers can :saddowns:

although even just the "can't shoot over" part kinda sucks if it lets enemy melee get to you without advancing through a hail of gunfire

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Zyla posted:

do you have any links to your old posts from your wh2 guesses and all that i'd love to read all sorts of lores and i like how you post em

im afraid not, i think I only really did predictions for skaven in this format. i think i wrote some general lore stuff about tomb kings and nagash prior to wh2 coming out also, but they're all in the old thread.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Aekold Helbrass is a fun Tzeentch champion. I don't think he was a wizard, unlike most Tzeentch champions, and he was blessed with a power that indiscriminately healed things and caused plants to bloom and such, like a Disney princess. I think during this time GW wasn't nearly as focused on the the "rebirth" part of Nurgle's portfolio as they are today.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Haven't tried it myself yet but I've read that Animated Hulks are a better option for early game flank anchors than Deckhands or pistol zombies, since they're meaty and do AP damage. Early game in this case is like T2; with non-shotgun crabs being T3, Animated Hulks -> Rotting Prometheans seems like a natural flow if you decide to go monster recruitment chain over melee recruitment chain.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dongattack posted:

Man, Bretonnia (like the entire area along the western cost) is ridiculously unprepared for Heinrich Kemmler and The Barrow Legion. The game said it was gonna be HARD in big red letters, but but there's just nothing they can do to a skeleton/zombie blitzkrieg rush. Units too lovely and area too fractured, I LIKE IT

in my current cylostra game Kemmler rang me up when the Age of Exploration rolled around and said "yo, I see you don't like elves, wanna hang out?" and he owns like all of Bretonnia

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Man, Bretonnia (like the entire area along the western cost) is ridiculously unprepared for Heinrich Kemmler and The Barrow Legion. The game said it was gonna be HARD in big red letters, but but there's just nothing they can do to a skeleton/zombie blitzkrieg rush. Units too lovely and area too fractured, I LIKE IT

I had a similar problem playing Khalida in Mortal Empires. loving Last Defenders broke a non-aggression pact literally one turn after they agreed to it and the starting Tomb King roster just has nothing that can effectively deal with a big stack of saurus warriors. I ended up having to fight his army with two full stacks of my own and still barely scraped by. After that I made sure to completely rush his territory before he recovered just so I wouldn't have to deal with him again.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So uh, how does everyone pronounce Tzeentch? Is the first "T" just silent? Or is it like a really drawn out "change"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tzeentch also gets a special shout out as the go-to Chaos God for a lot of the video games in both fantasy and 40k. Mainly because his aesthetic is “normal chaos stuff but cooler” and much easier to translate into ESRB: Teen rated games

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So uh, how does everyone pronounce Tzeentch? Is the first "T" just silent? Or is it like a really drawn out "change"

“Zeeench” but start with the front of your tongue pressed flat against the roof of your mouth

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the only way to increase capacity of mournghul haunters is via ship buildings?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

In case anyone didn't know, you can disable skirmish mode by default in the Options menu

gently caress

Ammanas posted:

the only way to increase capacity of mournghul haunters is via ship buildings?

doesn't one of the pirate cove buildings do that too?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, one of the cove buildings does. That thing is super-buggy, I swear I've seen it raise both Mournghoul Haunter and Gunnery Wight caps by one on the first building of its kind, then each subsequent building only says it raises cap for Mournghouls, but it still also raises Wight cap.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Also one head tells the truth and one always lies, because hes a dick.

A thing I should point out about this, is that the heads don't stay consistent about this. When Kairos talks, one head tells the truth while the other goes for an equally believable lie. But same heads swap their roles.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

"Dzeentch"

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

A thing I should point out about this, is that the heads don't stay consistent about this. When Kairos talks, one head tells the truth while the other goes for an equally believable lie. But same heads swap their roles.

this is a very good point i forgot to mention. kairos really likes to have fun with people, even with tzeentch, i guess as payback for throwing him into the Toilet of Time

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Afriscipio posted:

Any tips for playing the Vortex with Alith Anar? I feel like my campaign grinds to a halt after I secure Nagarythe and then the dark elves all start declaring war on me.

I'm usually proactive and don't bother with Nagarythe at all until I've dealt with most of the surrounding Dark Elves. Conquer their poo poo to prevent them from getting too strong and also strengthen your position. Nagarythe can wait, it won't immediately help you too much anyways.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, one of the cove buildings does. That thing is super-buggy, I swear I've seen it raise both Mournghoul Haunter and Gunnery Wight caps by one on the first building of its kind, then each subsequent building only says it raises cap for Mournghouls, but it still also raises Wight cap.

It's the smugglers cove, I think. Whichever also raises your Lord recruit level by 1. The tooltip bugs out for some reason.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I planned to do Sartosa ME as a 1 settlement/1 stack challenge, until about 50 turns in I finally looked at the victory conditions... gently caress. Holding 8 capital settlements is ridiculous considering you get almost none via alliances (everyone hates pirates, especially after I start stealing money from all of them).

gently caress it, I'll still do it and just declare myself the winner at some arbitrary point.

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 16, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here's how my current Heinrich Kemmler campaign is going.
Live footage of the entirety of bretonnia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUR-sg5jRBQ

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

I got really lucky with this in my Skrolk campaign. The College of Pyrotechnics spawned near me and got a settlement off someone, and then I managed to get them to ally with me. I was able to get them to actually pay attention to an attack coordination marker and I got to attack Itza's garrison and the 13 unit army that was hanging out in there with Skrolk's army reinforced by Ceclio Portoanez and his 19 units of Helstorm batteries. Friendly fire killed almost all of my infantry but the fifteen minutes of sustained explosions were worth it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Yall ever notice campaign AI in mortal empires just bugging out and doing nothing? In my Cylostra campaign I've been keeping a close eye on Hexoatl the whole time since they could be a real problem to deal with, and they've done literally nothing the entire game aside from building up a full stack in their capital.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

God drat Lokhir is incredibly broken, even on impossible. I have only been recruiting from Black Arks and not even bothering to build local recruitment buildings, which saves a ton of money. I locked down the starting province and the Altar of the Horned Rat province. Then I got a military alliance with my TK neighbors and immediately dragged them into a war with Teclis (which they won through attrition).

Once you've done this you have the flexibility to go anywhere and sack a bunch of random cities to boost your slave count to crazy town. It's turn 50 and I have 80k I have no idea what to do with. I've sent maxed out intervention armies to anyone who tries to pull anything with the vortex and easily capped Karond Kar.

I really wish they spiced up the end-gsme somehow.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

To give credit to the devs I've bothered winning a pirate vortex campaign which is like the 3rd ever campaign i've ever bothered finishing in a total war game. It even got boring at the end though and i was really just playing the last few turns to win it.

The end game is always lame as heck.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I finished the Vortex with Luthor Harkon yesterday.

Really like the final quest battle. What an unrelenting goddamn clusterfuck.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

hemale in pain posted:

To give credit to the devs I've bothered winning a pirate vortex campaign which is like the 3rd ever campaign i've ever bothered finishing in a total war game. It even got boring at the end though and i was really just playing the last few turns to win it.

The end game is always lame as heck.

I totally get that it's hard to plan for what the player will be doing and how powerful they will be 60 turns down the road but there has to be a better solution than the lame mopping up we have.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm still surprised that there isn't an end times meter that begins pumping chaos/vampiric/skaven corruption up as victory conditions are met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

I'm still surprised that there isn't an end times meter that begins pumping chaos/vampiric/skaven corruption up as victory conditions are met.

This would be cool if they gradually ramped up enemy stacks in addition to the doomstacks that spawn when you start a ritual.

I just find that, even though there are more battles in the end game, I end up autoresolving 99% of them and I end up not having a real battle for like ten turns.