Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
How do you play your Gnoll Skalds in the beginning to survive? Forego the spells for heavier armor for more survivability? Cast everything all the time? I have no idea how to really play hybrids, either going all in one melee or magic usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the optimal gnoll earlygame strat is "hold down tab lmao you have like 8 levels in your weapon skill"

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Aumanor posted:

Deep Elf, purest of blaster casters. Pray for an early Vehu altar.

E: Speaking of blaster casters, can I petition for Gooncrawl to move Buddysphere back to lvl 4? That change is what made me drop conjurers.

E2: Speaking of buddysphere and having checked the wiki, can I petition for Gooncrawl to put Buddysphere back into the conjurations starting book?

Blaster casters are boring to me, I just wanna collect a shitload of utility spells to facilitate me safely hitting things with a polearm. I think I'm gonna go with either ogre with a bunch of fighting or try to get some light armor casting going on with a human.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

tweet my meat posted:

Blaster casters are boring to me, I just wanna collect a shitload of utility spells to facilitate me safely hitting things with a polearm. I think I'm gonna go with either ogre with a bunch of fighting or try to get some light armor casting going on with a human.

Pole arm wizards are good, so are stabby wizards, and so are archer wizards. DEWz with a bow is really cool. If you go DEWz, take advantage of your hexes aptitude and go for slow. It’s dubious on most wizards, but great for DE. People are mentioning how dangerous rPois reptiles and amphibians are for wizards, but slow makes them easy to handle.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Now a polearm ogre is great and all, but how good is the giant spiked club with the new lovely mace apts?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

tweet my meat posted:

Now a polearm ogre is great and all, but how good is the giant spiked club with the new lovely mace apts?

It’s still really good, but a regular giant club might be better, depending on how much you want to invest in magic and throwing and whether you are following oka (heroism) or ash(skill boost). Giant clubs are super efficient in damage to xp investment, while GSCs are typically more suited for pure bruisers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tweet my meat posted:

ogre apt got bumped back up in gooncrawl

honestly i was hoping it would be only partway, theres really no loving competition weapon choice wise

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When you're the only race who can hit with the giant club, you should be good at it. :colbert:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any weapon that's super at killing things shouldn't be balanced by "but the only way you can use it just makes it kinda bad at killing things".

SGC on underskilled characters should instead have a chance of partial self damage.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i just want to swing something else around as a big fat lad sometimes yknow? but its hard when theres a +2 apt and theres generally some kinda mace worth picking up pretty quick and

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

I am Otis posted:

for un mephable reptiles I spam cast summon imp till I get a few ice imps then run around and drop a conjure flame if I still have mana. That usually kills them or lets you get away

But by then hopefully you have something else to kill them with like sticky flame or an ice spell or a branded weapon

Yeah you can get away with a lot through clever flame conjures, especially in the dungeon with tight hallways but once you get to the lair or other places with wide open areas you really have to plan your defensive/offensive flames to either block monsters off properly or funnel them into the death cloud. I generally won't risk lair if I haven't gotten something from Veh or found a book with some higher level kill spell.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

i just want to swing something else around as a big fat lad sometimes yknow? but its hard when theres a +2 apt and theres generally some kinda mace worth picking up pretty quick and
Inb4 demigod discussion again.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Tollymain posted:

My feeling is that the character of the species and the way it fulfills a particular melee glass cannon niche work better with the very high m&f aptitude. I understand wanting other choices to be viable, but aside from just going for coolness or different experiences, weapon choices aren’t very interesting in Crawl to begin with, so I don’t think it’s a terrible sacrifice. There are also enough species available overall that equating weapon choice with species choice is okay in a few cases. That’s admittedly a subjective opinion, though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there some kind of way to open the skills menu automatically when i start a game? I constantly forget to set my skill training in the beginning.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Tollymain posted:

add a new racial skill for giant creatures that lets them pick up a small wounded enemy and use it as a cudgel

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tweet my meat posted:

Is there some kind of way to open the skills menu automatically when i start a game? I constantly forget to set my skill training in the beginning.

You can do it with a lua script in the rc file:

code:
######################################################################
# To automatically open the skill menu when starting a new game, add
# the following to your options file.

{
local need_skills_opened = true
function ready()
  if you.turns() == 0 and need_skills_opened then
    need_skills_opened = false
    crawl.sendkeys("m")
  end
end
}

######################################################################

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Aumanor posted:

Deep Elf, purest of blaster casters. Pray for an early Vehu altar.

E: Speaking of blaster casters, can I petition for Gooncrawl to move Buddysphere back to lvl 4? That change is what made me drop conjurers.

E2: Speaking of buddysphere and having checked the wiki, can I petition for Gooncrawl to put Buddysphere back into the conjurations starting book?

Battlesphere is too good to be only level 4.
That being said, Force Lance is a very nice spell that you'll be glad you took.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Sludge elves are the only good elves.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the only good elf is a dead elf

thankfully, you can repeat this hundreds of times over in the Elven Halls

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This ogre wizard I've got going might be the run. I found a yred altar on d2 so it's not exactly a difficult run, but hey if I get yred early for once I may as well. I'm to the point where I can either go all in on conjurations with IMB from a book of conjurations or go all in on the dumb utility gimmick spells with ring of fire and alli. I like the idea of a ring of flames, but how well do friendly summons deal with it?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can do it with a lua script in the rc file:

Just what I needed! This plus skill targets makes distributing xp a breeze instead of a chore.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Speleothing posted:

Battlesphere is too good to be only level 4.
That being said, Force Lance is a very nice spell that you'll be glad you took.

It used to be lvl 4 when I was starting at the game. It was pretty much my entire early game plan when going DECj.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Battlesphere is still totally dope at lvl5. I can sort of understand getting rid of it; BS totally eclipses everything else a Cj has due to being the holy grail of Conjuration spells; a mana efficient, single-target, omni-applicable nuke. For comparison; IMB isn't as mana efficient by a mile, and IooD is unreliable.

The trouble with cutting it out of the starting spellbook is that it's totally implausible to have it randomly spawn in time for a character to be able to make good use if it. If it's not in a starting book, you might as well cut it from the game.

DECjs can and should beeline it anyways; you have +1/+3 in the relevant apts, and Oh no, you now how a lot of points in charms, whatever shall you do?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Poulpe posted:

This game is coded in C++?! Aw hell
Don't give me a reason to take on a new hobby you guys D:

this is not a sane person's reaction to learning that something is written in c++

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Jazerus posted:

this is not a sane person's reaction to learning that something is written in c++

C++ Dev Gonna C++ :shepface:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Nearly took this last ogre wizard of yred all the way. Struggled a bit with snake, literally just o tabbed through shoals without casting a spell, then my army finally hit the wall in vaults 5 which I wanted to try taking head on with my undead and summoned army.

I always regret taking yred as a caster because it just becomes a game of trying to do cool stuff with your spells before your squad of servitors and bone dragons slaughter everything. The big end vaults are really fun but the majority of the game you just overwhelm everything.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont know how to code and i dont know c++ but also im waiting for this pull request process thing and i want to dump this bunch of bad species concepts on yall already. never underestimate the power of a sufficiently determined moron to bullshit a thing

apparently ive pushed the species list too large and a couple species are available but not visible til theyre highlighted (shortcut still works too)

im not entirely sure how to fix that but i figure its ok for a little while considering two are basically proposals to overhaul existing species

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

look im sure it's easy to just pick up c++ and work o

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/source/Makefile

oh

E: not trying to be a dick but holy gently caress do not do c++ as a first language, as a person who did c++ as a first language

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 16, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd like to introduce you to my project where I reimplement the whole of Dungeon Crawl in python

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Teal posted:

I'd like to introduce you to my project where I reimplement the whole of Dungeon Crawl in python

code:
def spawn_unique(floor_num):
    if floor_num == 2:
        spawn(SIGMUND)
    else:
        spawn(None)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goatsestretchgoals posted:

look im sure it's easy to just pick up c++ and work o

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/source/Makefile

oh

E: not trying to be a dick but holy gently caress do not do c++ as a first language, as a person who did c++ as a first language

the key is im stone blown on weed and i have no idea what im doing

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

memory is cheap, free() is just something big ram pushes to move product imo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
just program the game to save to disk and force restart every 2 hours and it'll automatically free everything at once, no need to do it manually

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
So after being away from crawl for maybe a year or more, I got in the mood again and decided to play a game. Decide to go with an Octopode Assassin.

D1 goes fine. D2 I step into a teleport trap and find myself facing a D2 Centaur. Not to worry, as I avoid him and run immediately into Robin, and turn around again to find Sigmund.

gently caress you too Crawl. Good to be back.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Every game is a xom game to some extent

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

so, uh, what does it look like when the Abyssal Rune spawns, anyway

I've been wandering in and out of the Abyss for nearly half of this game so far and it hasn't shown up yet

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

- The rune only spawns at A:3 and below, and most players wouldn't recommend going deeper unless you know what you're doing.
- Every time the game spawns an item it might spawn the rune instead, with a corresponding vault
- Rune vaults are all handcrafted, and are thus can usually be recognized. There's only a few of them and you'll easily remember them across games, but good general advice is (taken from Majang's guide)

quote:

As said above, this rune is always found in a vault-like structure (only on level 3 or below). When you see something with doors, or with anything resembling a symmetrical lay-out, or a ring of trees, or a place guarded by lightning spires, go and investigate. Chances are that you have found the rune. But you need to be careful, as there is usually a strong guard placed around the rune.

You'll find it eventually, although sometimes it takes a while.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Victory Position posted:

so, uh, what does it look like when the Abyssal Rune spawns, anyway

I've been wandering in and out of the Abyss for nearly half of this game so far and it hasn't shown up yet

I've never seen the rune a single time and I've spent at least an hour looking for it on the correct levels

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Abyssal Rune always feels so all or nothing to me. Either you find it in like five minutes after Sonja grazes you once, or you spend so long in there you feel like you're level grinding.

Edit: Or you spend fifteen minutes in there and get murdered by Starmasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I've gotten down to Abyss:10 and have far more rations than when I first started looking for it :confuoot: