Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

client
Aug 19, 2010

For the guy a million pages back having trouble bating people into getting killed by the town law - go to strawberry, the sheriff there is insanely hostile and will straight up headshot anybody who starts poo poo with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Welp, I've hit a brick wall with this game. I've cleared every challenge possible, gotten all collectibles I can, hunted and fished everything available to me, and have fully decked out guns and wardrobes.

I guess it's finally time to do mission two of chapter 3.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Had a cool bug during the chapter 6 mission "Paying a Social Call" where Dutch and Micah kept teleporting ahead of me and either dying or failing me for abandoning the gang. After a few failures the game gave me the option to skip the checkpoint which was literally the only way I could beat the mission. I take it this is a rare bug because I haven't heard anyone else complaining about it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I heard about Abernathy pig farm a few times but when I got there I may have accidentally shot everyone

Oops

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Zaa Boogie posted:

So let me tell you about the time I caught two three star steelhead trout by having them swim up on the beach and then flop over.

Not sure if this is intentional or not, but when I'm up near the top of Mt. Hagen perfect crows will just drop from the sky. It is pretty cold and windy up there.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Not sure if this is intentional or not, but when I'm up near the top of Mt. Hagen perfect crows will just drop from the sky. It is pretty cold and windy up there.

I was chasing copperheads up in the mountains and I think they just ran for a bit and died? Like fall damage killed them? They snaked too hard and left me perfect skins.

Anyway this guy keeps asking me to help him bust out of his prisoner irons and i shot his foot so whoops. probably the end of that quest chain.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Chp6 ending

I had full white hat at the end and Arthur just died peacefully while watching the deer in the distance. Was that the "good" ending or is that after the epilogue quests?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Moridin920 posted:

I heard about Abernathy pig farm a few times but when I got there I may have accidentally shot everyone

Oops

This right here, nobody seemed the least bit curious when Arthur got his double-barrelled shotgun off his horse before going inside, but it wasn't long before they found out exactly why :clint:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I need some oleander sage and i"m following twelve different guides and i agree with the gamefaqs guy that it doesn't exist and that all these guides are actually thinking of milkweed.

Is it gated? Is it milkweed until chapter 4 and then it magically becomes what you make poison arrows out of?
I just want to silently murder livestock at night goddamn it.

e: Followed a second guide, went to the exact spot, he looks down, I look down, he's looking at poison arrow making oleander sage with huge red flowers, I am looking at milkweed, which heals me, with purple flowers. This is bullshit.

Some idiot stumbled out of a bush telling me not to eat the red flowers and if I knew that was an event that spawned oleander sage I'd have picked it up instead of riding into denis and selling my pelts.

e2: oh wait no it's that other flower that looks exactly the same just a little bit behind the milkweed nevermind

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 16, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What the gently caress trying to get perfect kills with the first dead eye and the varmint rifle is wack as gently caress. It's practically impossible to just mark the drat thing once and not two or three times without using a scope, which lets you manually pull the trigger (but makes hunting from the back of your horse a real pain).

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Do like exactly one mission in chapter 2 and you get the option to paint Xs on things you want and not automatically.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
There are like 3 oleanders in your chapter 4 camp site.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ, the giant snake hanging over a tree branch in the swamps just about gave me a heart attack when I realized I was standing directly beneath it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kalsco posted:

Welp, I've hit a brick wall with this game. I've cleared every challenge possible, gotten all collectibles I can, hunted and fished everything available to me, and have fully decked out guns and wardrobes.

I guess it's finally time to do mission two of chapter 3.

Ahaha that's the mission I've been putting off as well. Dutch ain't been in camp for days now!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm a little confused on what I'm supposed to do with three star pelts. I know they're for crafting, but do I sell them to the trapper guy in Saint Denis? Or donate them to Pearson in camp? Are their inventories shared?

I've been just hunting whatever 3-star animals I come across and skinning them, thinking I'd get a stockpile of pelts for crafting later but it seems like I may have to just pick something and specifically track down the components for it. Otherwise I might sell the pelts to the wrong person and *whoops* can't craft.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Aranan posted:

I'm a little confused on what I'm supposed to do with three star pelts. I know they're for crafting, but do I sell them to the trapper guy in Saint Denis? Or donate them to Pearson in camp? Are their inventories shared?

I've been just hunting whatever 3-star animals I come across and skinning them, thinking I'd get a stockpile of pelts for crafting later but it seems like I may have to just pick something and specifically track down the components for it. Otherwise I might sell the pelts to the wrong person and *whoops* can't craft.

They have separate inventories. Pearson can make you satchel space upgrades, so for most people that is the priority. He can also make cosmetic upgrades for the camp. The trapper is where you sell legendary pelts. You can also sell him various pelts to make a whole slew of clothing and outfits.

The game desperately needs a tracking feature, but in it's absence just write want you need down.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Aranan posted:

I wrote down a list of the stuff Pearson takes for my own use, I'll paste it here. It's missing one or two things that I've already turned into him.

Perfect Ram Carcass
2x Perfect Ox Hide
4x Perfect Boar Pelt
1x Moose Antler
1x Perfect Beaver Pelt
1x Perfect Muskrat Pelt
1x Perfect Fox Pelt
2x Perfect Wolf Pelt
1x Perfect Cow Hide
2x Perfect Goat Hide
1x Elk Antler
1x Buck Antlers

And I think at some point I also gave him 1 Perfect Wolf Carcass

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The satchel upgrades should be your first priority. As for the trapper, he can make clothes out of legendary and regular 3 star pelts but it's entirely cosmetic poo poo. You can make do with the basic clothing you start with for all weather conditions although it's pretty dope to wear a fox head as a hat. What you *do* want out of legendary parts are the trinkets and talismans from the fence, which is separate entirely from the pelts.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That's kind of annoying, but oh well. Guess I'll have to start tracking this stuff on a notepad next to the console.

Also playing cowboy dress up is super important to my gameplay experience, so I need all those goody coyote hats and bison jackets from the trapper.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I beat the game without doing a single bit of that crap and never had any problems so for anyone wondering you don’t have to hunt etc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I beat the game without doing a single bit of that crap and never had any problems so for anyone wondering you don’t have to hunt etc.

I didn't give Pearson jack poo poo on my run through of the game. I drank maybe five tonics over the course of the entire game and was always out of space for food because you never need like 95% of what you're carrying in the basic bag.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Finally crafted the Legend of the East satchel. Now I can finish that Herbalist challenge to craft and use 5 special miracle tonics. It's so nice not to have to worry about storage space and I'm only in Chapter 3.

Think I'm gonna pivot away from the story for a while and complete more challenges. I have one left for Master Hunter and just a few for Herbalist and Survivalist.

Aranan posted:

Also playing cowboy dress up is super important to my gameplay experience, so I need all those goody coyote hats and bison jackets from the trapper.

This. I'm so glad that the rewards for hunting are worthwhile even if I find it fun in and of itself. I've bought the various outfits in all the catalogs but prefer mostly to wear stuff I've crafted from the trapper. Nothin' like wearin' your best day's work.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 16, 2018

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Finally crafted the Legend of the East satchel. Now I can finish that Herbalist challenge to craft and use 5 special miracle tonics. It's so nice not to have to worry about storage space and I'm only in Chapter 3.

Think I'm gonna pivot away from the story for a while and complete more challenges. I have one left for Master Hunter and just a few for Herbalist and Survivalist.

This. I'm so glad that the rewards for hunting are worthwhile even if I find it fun in and of itself. I've bought the various outfits in all the catalogs but prefer mostly to wear stuff I've crafted from the trapper. Nothin' like wearin' your best day's work.

don’t forget the trinkets and talismans

speaking of which (and it sounds like you’re way past this point, but for the benefit of anyone who isn’t) the legendary buck trinket has been great so far, we’ll worth the giant pain in the rear end of getting the buck to spawn

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Tell you what, it feels good to just need a panther pelt to craft all the satchel upgrades while in chapter 2.

To swim to that island west of Rhodes you have to be pretty buffed up in stamina. And I *still* needed to gold core and gold bar it just to make sure.

Also there's Alligator Snapping Turtles on that island, too. Too bad I didn't have my bow with me.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

UnknownMercenary posted:

The satchel upgrades should be your first priority. As for the trapper, he can make clothes out of legendary and regular 3 star pelts but it's entirely cosmetic poo poo. You can make do with the basic clothing you start with for all weather conditions although it's pretty dope to wear a fox head as a hat. What you *do* want out of legendary parts are the trinkets and talismans from the fence, which is separate entirely from the pelts.

Head AND tail.

Also a hat with a rat head on the front of it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

don’t forget the trinkets and talismans

speaking of which (and it sounds like you’re way past this point, but for the benefit of anyone who isn’t) the legendary buck trinket has been great so far, we’ll worth the giant pain in the rear end of getting the buck to spawn

I finally got that loving thing to spawn, and as it crested the hill I took a moment to think,"How beautiful and majestic, it almost seems a shame to ki-" and then 4 wolves ripped my dick off and I lost all the perfect boar pelts I'd been storing on my horse :cripes:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Zaa Boogie posted:

Tell you what, it feels good to just need a panther pelt to craft all the satchel upgrades while in chapter 2.

To swim to that island west of Rhodes you have to be pretty buffed up in stamina. And I *still* needed to gold core and gold bar it just to make sure.

Also there's Alligator Snapping Turtles on that island, too. Too bad I didn't have my bow with me.

Your horse can swim and has much more stamina than you.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zaa Boogie posted:

The game actually lies about how to perfect kill turtles. Small game arrows ruin the carcass, and you need to use a full power rifle.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Your horse can swim and has much more stamina than you.

I thought to try it but I also didn't want to risk it, ha.

At least saving and loading got me off rather than having to swim back.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

The Fool posted:

I've resorted to taking screenshots of the strategy guide on my phone so I can look at it on my computer.

Each chapter has a very nice overview of how the chapter flows, and which missions unlock which activities and when they become available.

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

If people are interested I can post the later chapters as well.

In addition, the bank job in valentine is for the special edition, so if you don't have it and get a conversation about missing it, don't feel bad there is nothing you could have done.

Quoting this for later tonight.
Great job btw

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
This has probably been answered before but, at what chapter does everything unlock? I'm at chapter 3 right now and there's still a bunch of guns I can;t buy and I'm assuming there's probably other locked things i just haven't noticed or don't remember.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Dalael posted:

This has probably been answered before but, at what chapter does everything unlock? I'm at chapter 3 right now and there's still a bunch of guns I can;t buy and I'm assuming there's probably other locked things i just haven't noticed or don't remember.

Some of the guns don't unlock til like Chapter 6. A bunch of sidequests are also gated. Plus I think a couple minor game mechanics - the last major one is the manual deadeye tagging in Chapter 2.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Wait, what? The Valentine bank job is an unmissable story mission I'm pretty sure; it's called "Sodom? Back to Gomorrah". The guide lists another bank job in Rhodes as the special edition exclusive.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Wait, what? The Valentine bank job is an unmissable story mission I'm pretty sure; it's called "Sodom? Back to Gomorrah". The guide lists another bank job in Rhodes as the special edition exclusive.

That is accurate, yes. Whoever posted that meant to say Rhodes, not Valentine.

Edit: for a mini-review of the special edition bank robbery: It was pretty short and you don't get a lot of money out of it, but I enjoyed the banter and I'm one of the people that always likes doing a mission with Uncle. I bought the Ultimate Edition of the game for various reasons so this came along with it. I don't think I would pay money for it separately but I'm glad I had it and I enjoyed it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I did the gold glitch in Limpany right at the beginning. All the complaining about not being able to leave due to lack of funds is pretty funny, considering my Arthur has $140000+

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lambert posted:

I did the gold glitch in Limpany right at the beginning. All the complaining about not being able to leave due to lack of funds is pretty funny, considering my Arthur has $140000+

Game needs a secret ending where if you hit a certain money threshold you just get the option to buy out Cornwall's oil company out from under him. The rest of the game is a wacky comedy where a former band of outlaws has to learn how to run a business together.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Aranan posted:

I made lists for Pearson and the Trapper. Their inventories are not shared.

Pearson:

e: I missed "elk pelt" in the main list here, but it's in the satchel list

Trapper:

(legendary pelts not included)
e2: missing "deer pelt (3)"

as was mentioned, make sure to hang onto these items if you find them; for crafting talismans at the fence:

*vintage civil war handcuffs
*gold jointed bracelet
*silver chain bracelet
*quartz chunk
*gold earring
*cobalt petrified wood
*abalone shell fragment
*silver earring
*old brass compass

Slush Garbo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 16, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where do you find the quartz and cobalt petrified wood?

Also, if I sell a gold earring to the fence, doe he make the talisman from that or does it need to be in my inventory?

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
do not sell to the fence. unlike the trapper or pearson, the items I listed must be in your inventory

it's dumb because it's the opposite of the other two guys I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I found a loving meteorite lol