Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Junkie Disease posted:

Whats king bean for chili, for me its black and some chickpeas

Chickpeas strike me as completely inappropriate. I do red kidney, pinto and black eyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Beef hindshank: :yeah: or ignore?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Chickpeas strike me as completely inappropriate. I do red kidney, pinto and black eyed.

they're just fine actually

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I use hominy instead of chickpeas, it's way better. I also use pinto, black turtle, and kidney beans.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BraveUlysses posted:

they're just fine actually

I’m sure they are, they just feel wrong to me
somehow. I think of chickpeas as much more of a curry ingredient, not a suitable part of an American dish.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
A lotta recipes in here, any people generally have made and liked? I know this is blasphemous but I like beans in the chili!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

5436 posted:

I know this is blasphemous but I like beans in the chili!

You got it backwards.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

5436 posted:

A lotta recipes in here, any people generally have made and liked? I know this is blasphemous but I like beans in the chili!

I grew up with meatless, almost all bean chili and I'll die on this hill!
I toss in tempeh(sometimes), Textured Vegetable Protein, Soy Chorizo, adobo, and spices and a whole lot of beans

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

5436 posted:

The ICSA chili thread has lots of instances of people making chili!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my favorite:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/easy-pork-three-bean-chili-food-lab-recipe.html

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Raisins and orange juice?

:thunk:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

1/4 cup chili powder
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes packed in juice, roughly squeezed through fingers to chop[/url]

Throw this recipe in the garbage.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The ICSA chili thread has lots of instances of people making chili!
My go-to chili is the one with the least votes; That Works's "chili that should fit most definitions of chili" is a really good fuckin' stock standard chili, only when I make it I'm a monster and add a bunch of beans (zuni golds, sometimes some mortgage lifters if I'm feeling extra nasty) and I just use guajillos and chiles de arbol in a 70/30 ratio; guajillos are loving tasty in that base.

I'm gunna make a new batch today; it's getting cold enough where I need it. I don't know if I have any fish sauce left over, but I've got plenty of umami fluids I can use instead.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Gotta finish with acid for the brightness. I do fresh squeezed lemon juice and malt vinegar or cider vinegar.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I made what I consider Good Chili.

Beef Stock

Ingredients
2 lbs Oxtails
3 lbs Marrow Bones
2 Onions
2 Stalks Celery
2 Large Carrots
2 Tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
4 Cloves Garlic

Process
1. Roast meat in a 400F oven for 30 minutes, turning once.

2. Take one onion (skin on), carrot, celery stock, and cut in half before dumping in a pressure cooker. Crush 2 cloves of garlic and dump inside, along with half the peppercorns.

3. Discover that your pot can only handle half the meat.

4. Accept your failure and add half the meat and bones. Fill with water until you're an inch below the max fill line.

5. Pressure cook on high for 2 hours. Strain liquid, and then repeat the process with the rest of the meat and veggies. Dump the liquid from the first batch into the pressure cooker and hit it again for 2 more hours.

6. Rejoice, for you have tasty brown liquid. Refrigerate overnight and skim off the fat.

Good Chili

Ingredients
6 Dried Ancho Peppers
6 Dried New Mexico Peppers
2 Tablespoons Cumin Seeds
3 Chipotles from Chipotle in Adobo Can
1 oz Dried Porcini Mushrooms
2 tsp MSG
1 Can Tomato Paste
1 Can Diced Tomatos w/ Chiles (Rotel)
1/2 Bar Dark Chocolate
1 Onion
8 Cloves Garlic
4 lbs Bone-In Short Rib
1 lb Loose Breakfast Sausage
4 Cups Homemade Beef Stock

Equipment
Large Enameled Cast Iron Pot
Blender
Spice/Coffee Grinder
Oven (Preheat to 275F)

Process
1. Remove seeds from dried peppers and toast until fragrant. I use scissors to cut them apart into roughly 1" pieces. Toss into blender.

2. Toast the cumin seeds until fragrant and brown, and then grind into powder before adding to blender.

3. Cut the onion in half, remove skin, and roast on skillet. No need to chop it up; just get the bottom browned. Crush the garlic and also toss in the pot to brown a bit. Add onion and garlic to blender.

4. Add mushrooms, MSG, tomato paste, chipotles, diced tomatos, and beef stock to blender. Blend contents until smooth.

5. Cut as much fat as you can from the short ribs and sear on all sides to achieve maximum maillard. Set aside.

6. Brown sausage and drain fat.

7. Combine blended liquid, meat, and chocolate in pot. Heat up contents on stove to a simmer, then place in the oven covered for 2 hours.

8. Remove cover, stir, and cook for additional 90 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent skin from forming.

9. Remove from oven and pull out the short ribs from the mixture. Discard bones and any chunks of gristle you find. Shred meat with a fork and return to pot. Stir. Consume.

Fork test successful

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 22, 2018

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elise's chili is the best
best thread :nms:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I made what I consider Good Chili.

Beef Stock

Ingredients
2 lbs Oxtails
3 lbs Marrow Bones
2 Onions
2 Stalks Celery
2 Large Carrots
2 Tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
4 Cloves Garlic

Process
1. Roast meat in a 400F oven for 30 minutes, turning once.

2. Take one onion (skin on), carrot, celery stock, and cut in half before dumping in a pressure cooker. Crush 2 cloves of garlic and dump inside, along with half the peppercorns.

3. Discover that your pot can only handle half the meat.

4. Accept your failure and add half the meat and bones. Fill with water until you're an inch below the max fill line.

5. Pressure cook on high for 2 hours. Strain liquid, and then repeat the process with the rest of the meat and veggies. Dump the liquid from the first batch into the pressure cooker and hit it again for 2 more hours.

6. Rejoice, for you have tasty brown liquid. Refrigerate overnight and skim off the fat.

Good Chili

Ingredients
6 Dried Ancho Peppers
6 Dried New Mexico Peppers
2 Tablespoons Cumin Seeds
3 Chipotles from Chipotle in Adobo Can
1 oz Dried Porcini Mushrooms
2 tsp MSG
1 Can Tomato Paste
1 Can Diced Tomatos w/ Chiles (Rotel)
1/2 Bar Dark Chocolate
1 Onion
8 Cloves Garlic
4 lbs Bone-In Short Rib
1 lb Loose Breakfast Sausage
4 Cups Homemade Beef Stock

Equipment
Large Enameled Cast Iron Pot
Blender
Spice/Coffee Grinder
Oven (Preheat to 275F)

Process
1. Remove seeds from dried peppers and toast until fragrant. I use scissors to cut them apart into roughly 1" pieces. Toss into blender.

2. Toast the cumin seeds until fragrant and brown, and then grind into powder before adding to blender.

3. Cut the onion in half, remove skin, and roast on skillet. No need to chop it up; just get the bottom browned. Crush the garlic and also toss in the pot to brown a bit. Add onion and garlic to blender.

4. Add mushrooms, MSG, tomato paste, chipotles, diced tomatos, and beef stock to blender. Blend contents until smooth.

5. Cut as much fat as you can from the short ribs and sear on all sides to achieve maximum maillard. Set aside.

6. Brown sausage and drain fat.

7. Combine blended liquid, meat, and chocolate in pot. Heat up contents on stove to a simmer, then place in the oven covered for 2 hours.

8. Remove cover, stir, and cook for additional 90 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent skin from forming.

9. Remove from oven and pull out the short ribs from the mixture. Discard bones and any chunks of gristle you find. Shred meat with a fork and return to pot. Stir. Consume.

Fork test successful

This is good chili.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

5436 posted:

I had only had chili with beans and tomatoes until I read No Wave's post below. Now it's the only kind I want to make. I used Arbol, Ancho, and Costeño and only omitted the masa.

No Wave posted:

I made chili this weekend using this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/real-texas-chili-con-carne.html, omitting the cinnamon, allspice, and fish sauce because I was using nice beef and chilis and didn't feel i needed it. (I didn't bother buying masa but if i had some i would have used it). The chilis I used were pasilla, arbol, and choricero.

Searing the chuck as steaks then cubing post-sear was a revelation. Useful for all sorts of stews.

The chili chunks he called for were too big. It was a little labor intensive but I roughly tore apart the meat chunks post-cook then added them back to the sauce - getting rough tears increased the surface area so it ended up really well.

What surprised me was how much the consistency of the sauce changed after sitting in the refrigerator for 48 hours. The sauce went from thin to extremely thick and the meat became substantially more tender, more than braises normally seem to after sitting. I'm wondering if adding the vinegar post-cook has any tenderizing effect on the meat, but it wasn't much vinegar. Wouldn't change anything, recipe came out perfect (having doubled the arbols the recipe called for).

That the chili was so vastly improved after two days of sitting makes me wonder about the logic of chili cook-offs or if special preparations might be required for them vs normal chili. They still sound very fun.
Thank you No Wave.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I won my third work chili-off in as many months today. Hooray for dominating amateur competition.

I am gaining confidence in people's taste for good chili.

Also an Iraqi guy apparently entered "eggplant chili" and got second and I love everything about that. I did not get to try the chili, however.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I always use equal parts pasilla, ancho, and guajillo to tribute the mild portion of my chili powder. Should I mix it up? I've never done an in-depth breakdown, just figured variety is good.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I usually pick a mild, large chili as the base of my paste and accent it with a variety of sizes and spiciness. They all have their own flavor and type of burn so play around with your flavors to find what you like.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They all have their own flavor and type of burn.

Can you please give us a quick break down of their types of burn?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Habanero takes like 20 seconds before it starts burning and has a floral taste that goes well with citrus, pasilla negro is dark and earthy with low to medium heat that sets off pretty quickly. Green jalapeños have a green bell pepper type flavor with low to medium heat and also has a fast onset and chipotles are smoked red jalapeños so they're a little sweeter. Green poblanos are mild, fresh tasting and take a while for their spiciness to hit and ancho are dried/smoked red poblanos that is also really earthy with a little sweetness. Serranos, arbol, cayenne have quick, hot burns with variance in flavors and power.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 30, 2018

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I discovered this thread last night and I'm about to make my first chili paste from dried chilis, but I don't want to gently caress it up and make it so hot my ears bleed so I'm seeking advice.

From my selection at hand, what would be an acceptable combination that won't make me want to kill myself?

• New Mexicos (dried)
• Chipotle (dried)
• Chipotle (canned in adobo)
• Habaneros (dried)
• Pasilla (dried)
• Jalapeno (fresh)
• Red bell pepper (fresh)

I'm missing the "small, hot, dry chilis" as per the seriouseats recipe, but I have both the New Mexicos and Pasillas, so I guess what I'm wondering is if habaneros can be swapped into that small/hot/dry slot at the same ratio or whether I should dial it back?

I'll be using Costco stew beef and chorizo sausage for the meat, with white mushrooms, yellow onion, a shallot or two, fresh ground cumin and mustard seed, garlic, bay leaf, and a shitload of beans, if it helps to iron down a more acceptable than non acceptable ratio.

The goal is for this chili to be edible. I've only ever tried this once before and it wasn't, so as long as I can cross that barrier I'll be content.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 31, 2018

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Handen posted:

I discovered this thread last night and I'm about to make my first chili paste from dried chilis, but I don't want to gently caress it up and make it so hot my ears bleed so I'm seeking advice.

From my selection at hand, what would be an acceptable combination that won't make me want to kill myself?

• New Mexicos (dried)
• Chipotle (dried)
• Chipotle (canned in adobo)
• Habaneros (dried)
• Pasilla (dried)
• Jalapeno (fresh)
• Red bell pepper (fresh)

I'm missing the "small, hot, dry chilis" as per the seriouseats recipe, but I have both the New Mexicos and Pasillas, so I guess what I'm wondering is if habaneros can be swapped into that small/hot/dry slot at the same ratio or whether I should dial it back?

I'll be using Costco stew beef and chorizo sausage for the meat, with white mushrooms, yellow onion, a shallot or two, fresh ground cumin and mustard seed, garlic, bay leaf, and a shitload of beans, if it helps to iron down a more acceptable than non acceptable ratio.

The goal is for this chili to be edible. I've only ever tried this once before and it wasn't, so as long as I can cross that barrier I'll be content.

I think follow the serious eats recipe of New Mexico’s, Pasilla, chipotle in adobo (try some of the sauce by itself, it’s tasty!), and then yeah do the habs. Save the fresh peppers for either a topping in the finished chili or roast the bell peppers before adding with the stock. I’d say leave out the bay leaf. Be careful with the beans, because it’s very likely that they won’t get cooked enough before the beef is done. I think it would be okay to cook them separately in a flavorful broth (maybe use the jalapeños as aromatics? Or maybe that would make an off flavor, i dunno) then add in the last half hour or so of simmering. Make sure to cook the liquid out of those mushrooms until they get actually crispy. They’ll reabsorb the chili liquid but can act like little meaty bits in the chili if you add at the end. Also in my experience the Kenji chili mellows out the spice a bit after sitting overnight.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Handen posted:

chili paste

I highly recommend chili paste with only guajillo, california, new mexico, and or pasilla, chipotles in adobo, and some stock. You can vary the heat level and add any other flavors etc while cooking the chili.

Also make sure you seed at stem the chilis before you boil them.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
e: nvm

goodness fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 31, 2018

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

No Wave posted:

I made chili this weekend using this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/real-texas-chili-con-carne.html, omitting the cinnamon, allspice, and fish sauce because I was using nice beef and chilis and didn't feel i needed it. (I didn't bother buying masa but if i had some i would have used it). The chilis I used were pasilla, arbol, and choricero.

Searing the chuck as steaks then cubing post-sear was a revelation. Useful for all sorts of stews.

The chili chunks he called for were too big. It was a little labor intensive but I roughly tore apart the meat chunks post-cook then added them back to the sauce - getting rough tears increased the surface area so it ended up really well.

What surprised me was how much the consistency of the sauce changed after sitting in the refrigerator for 48 hours. The sauce went from thin to extremely thick and the meat became substantially more tender, more than braises normally seem to after sitting. I'm wondering if adding the vinegar post-cook has any tenderizing effect on the meat, but it wasn't much vinegar. Wouldn't change anything, recipe came out perfect (having doubled the arbols the recipe called for).

That the chili was so vastly improved after two days of sitting makes me wonder about the logic of chili cook-offs or if special preparations might be required for them vs normal chili. They still sound very fun.

I made this recipe but added a bottle of Guinness. The chili came out pretty good but was a little thin and SOMETHING was missing. I was thinking about using some gochujang paste for heat and a umami kick next time.

Also for thickening it up, should I use flour / a roux / reduce it more next time?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The starch from beans thickens it up or you could crumble a charred corn tortilla into it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I made this recipe but added a bottle of Guinness. The chili came out pretty good but was a little thin and SOMETHING was missing. I was thinking about using some gochujang paste for heat and a umami kick next time.

Also for thickening it up, should I use flour / a roux / reduce it more next time?

I usually just cook it for longer or not add as much liquid to start. If it's good and you want it thicker, masa would be traditional, but crumbling in corn tortillas or tortilla chips works fine. Just careful of salt if you use chips.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Anyone know of any good green chili recipes? Tried finding some online and they are all lazy rear end in a top hat recipes that involves dumping in jars of salsa verde and poo poo. I was hoping for a recipe that involves actually roasting the tomatillos, peppers, and onions, but couldn't find any that looked good.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

fishing with the fam posted:

Anyone know of any good green chili recipes? Tried finding some online and they are all lazy rear end in a top hat recipes that involves dumping in jars of salsa verde and poo poo. I was hoping for a recipe that involves actually roasting the tomatillos, peppers, and onions, but couldn't find any that looked good.
Kenji to the rescue.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Tried finding some online and they are all lazy rear end in a top hat recipes that involves dumping in jars of salsa verde and poo poo.

What search term did you input into google? The first 3 results that I clicked for chili verde are all real tomatillo and fresh peppers recipes.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Ranter posted:

What search term did you input into google? The first 3 results that I clicked for chili verde are all real tomatillo and fresh peppers recipes.

Thank you.

Ranter posted:

I searched "green chili with chicken". I want to use chicken instead of pork so I have the requisite bones to make my own stock. First bunch of hits just didn't look good to me.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

This is what I do. Simple verde is incredible. I am not sure if it would be as good with chicken, but I'd definitely use thighs for it if you do.

Oil in pot with white onion and garlic
Cube a pork shoulder, brown cubes in pan, then add to pot. Deglaze pan and all brown bits into pot. Add some cumin and oregano.
Seed and stem and poblanos and jalapenos, 7-8 peppers total. More jalapenos = hotter. Cut in half, roast in oven until blackened, remove skin, put in blender
Shuck some tomatillos, cut in half, roast until blackened, throw in blender
Throw cilantro and some stock in blender. Blend
Add green salsa to pot, simmer covered for a few hours or until pork is tender, salt and pepper to taste, cayenne if you want it spicier

note: that green salsa is incredible on its own

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

gwrtheyrn posted:

Elise's chili is the best
best thread :nms:

i'm getting flashbacks to a particular kate & kate episode

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Used this recipe and it came out quite good. Thanks!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Looks like the community team's Chili Cook-off budget got a significant bump this year.

Our grocery expenses will be reimbursed and this just popped up on the wall outside our kitchen. It's like Japanese restaurant-fancy embossed fake food, super cool.

Going for the hat-trick in 2 weeks, but the poo poo-talking has been getting pretty intense and our company doubled in size since last year. Still, I have hope...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
There was one good thing about living in El Paso and that was pork adobado/adovado/however you spell it. I would like to recreate this dish

does this look like a good starting point?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/carne-adovada-adobada-chili-braised-pork-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
work cook-off starts in an hour. 20 entries this year.