Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If you never full screen applications, you're probably an amateur computer user that only has a single monitor. Probably better served by an Ipad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

420 buy iphones everyday

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

w̨͌ͯ̈́̅͢͏͇̬̺̤͚̜ ̳͈͓̼̼͊̿͑̍̄̋̑ę̷̶̞͚̙̻̹̺̙̠̲̐̋͗͌̀̎ͤ̚ ̖̪̹͕̳̺̪̖͕̋̃͑ͨ̊̓̏͡ȩ̵̛̘͈͕͈̭̄ͮͥ͋͑ ͚̰̘͆̾́ͭ̓̃ͨ̆̈́̀d̓̿̾ͩ͏̧͖̭̳͇̞̗̘

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
some applications are good for multiple full screens, I've definitely used illustrator and photoshop full screen on multiple screens

some applications are bad full screen, like chat programs and web browsers since web sites all become awful on 27" screens

some applications are good full screen sometimes and as normal windows sometimes, like text editors

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Xcode is preferably better not full screen, but sometimes it depends. basically i like to move my eyes as little as possible, so smaller code window down low is better

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

some applications are good for multiple full screens, I've definitely used illustrator and photoshop full screen on multiple screens

this is only true because adobe ported their dumbshit mdi interface from windows to the mac

older versions of photoshop acted like mac apps: you could put windows where you wanted them, they could co-exist easily with other windows (perhaps from another adobe app, what a concept), and you didn't have that ocean of gray blocking everything

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

this is only true because adobe ported their dumbshit mdi interface from windows to the mac

older versions of photoshop acted like mac apps: you could put windows where you wanted them, they could co-exist easily with other windows (perhaps from another adobe app, what a concept), and you didn't have that ocean of gray blocking everything

oh yeah I don't run them in the full screen mode per se, just really big windows

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

per se is my favorite thomas the train character

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you can float illustrator pallets outside the main window on both platforms

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

qirex posted:

you can float illustrator pallets outside the main window on both platforms

you mean adobe will give me a packet of sweet n low to sprinkle on my plate of dog poo poo? how generous of them!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Skim Milk posted:

isnt the new 11" pro the same size as the old 10.5"?

should I be worried or celebratory that I completely missed this part of the keynote and even store page somehow

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i have them to cancel out highway and neighbour noise, and they are fantastic

got them and am already enjoying them a lot, very comfy without being gigantic not least

in a funny realization the one bad early review tanking their amazon review score complained of terrible call quality (the people on the other end barely hearing him), where all other mentions says it's good. having them in hand it is really easy to see where that guy had the problem: they are also quite comfortable *backwards* and the printed 'L' and 'R' on the cups is tiny and easy to miss :D

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
posting on the weed page

glad I’ve got one of the iMacs that still had Target Display Mode. now my Mac mini is happily using my old iMac with its very nice color-calibrated IPS panel as a display.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCXCGb3ACDE

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i still can't decide if that would've benefited them or not if they actually named it that

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

is hair force one better at keynotes than timb

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yes

so is the guy who demo’ed the new iPad pros, aka Hair Force Two

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

idk. i like him. maybe he'll be better at being Apple God than timb is when he replaces him

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol weed

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

macos9 talk:

classic macOS is amazingly well designed and uniquely slick but also the worst thing ever and I cannot imagine actually using it daily as your sole os without going literally insane

especially late OS7 and early OS8

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

is hair force one better at keynotes than timb

timb is CEO because of his Republican Party connections, not his keynote skills.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

SRQ posted:

macos9 talk:

classic macOS is amazingly well designed and uniquely slick but also the worst thing ever and I cannot imagine actually using it daily as your sole os without going literally insane

6 was great but extremely limited, 7 and 8 were ambitious but ran terribly. iirc, did they even have memory protection down at that point? os9 was where they got it right, and then X was right around the corner

Weedle
May 31, 2006

this year we’re focusing on improving performance across the board for all our mac devices, old and new. introducing macos 10.16 speed weed. we think you’re going to love it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

timb is CEO because of his Republican Party connections, not his keynote skills.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

SRQ posted:

macos9 talk:

classic mac os has a feature that no other operating system has been able to match

files, folders, and open windows actually stay where you put them and persist across reboots

how is this technology beyond every other operating system

Good Sphere posted:

6 was great but extremely limited, 7 and 8 were ambitious but ran terribly. iirc, did they even have memory protection down at that point? os9 was where they got it right, and then X was right around the corner

none of them had memory protection, but unless you had 80 system extensions it wasn't that big of a deal most of the time

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Good Sphere posted:

8.6 was the best classic OS. 9 broke a ton of poo poo and ran like trash on older machines. the only thing I miss from those days is the platinum look and Chicago system font. the biggest problem with classic mac os was the whole coop multitasking garbage. what a terrible system. i remember having to hit cmd+m to window StarCraft so that the next track would play in audion. what a joke.

the control strip was pretty cool too imo.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

8.6 was the best classic OS. 9 broke a ton of poo poo and ran like trash on older machines. the only thing I miss from those days is the platinum look and Chicago system font. the biggest problem with classic mac os was the whole coop multitasking garbage. what a terrible system. i remember having to hit cmd+m to window StarCraft so that the next track would play in audion. what a joke.

i'm pretty sure starcraft had a box you could check in the preference that said "allow background programs to run" (or something to that effect)

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i'm pretty sure starcraft had a box you could check in the preference that said "allow background programs to run" (or something to that effect)

don't remember anything like this at all. fullscreen games in classic mac os pretty much always took total control.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

got them and am already enjoying them a lot, very comfy without being gigantic not least

in a funny realization the one bad early review tanking their amazon review score complained of terrible call quality (the people on the other end barely hearing him), where all other mentions says it's good. having them in hand it is really easy to see where that guy had the problem: they are also quite comfortable *backwards* and the printed 'L' and 'R' on the cups is tiny and easy to miss :D

there is big red R on the inner side of right cup hinge on mine, not that easy to miss tbh

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

are you talking about the music in Starcraft that would play off the CD? the game didn't do that itself?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The correct way to play background music on a Mac in those days was to buy one of the DOS compatibles, press the key combination to switch over to the PC side and fire up WinPlay3

Wish you could still buy additional computers on expansion cards instead of using sucky virtual machines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sURGCTsC4EM&t=280s

r u ready to WALK fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 16, 2018

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

don't remember anything like this at all. fullscreen games in classic mac os pretty much always took total control.

it was in the "launcher" that opened before starcraft (it looked like a regular mac os window with system styled checkbox and radio button preferences) and if you turned that off i'm not sure how you got it back, holding shift on game run maybe? it's been forever since i've played starcraft but i 100% remember that launcher window and i'm 90% sure that was an option

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you mean adobe will give me a packet of sweet n low to sprinkle on my plate of dog poo poo? how generous of them!
no you can use it the old way if you want, just undock all the palettes from the document window and group then or put them wherever

I’ve found the people who complain the most about adobe apps don’t seem to actually use them

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my system 7 mac still shows up in my dreams sometimes because I apparently imprinted on it more than my parents

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SRQ posted:

macos9 talk:

and yet we did for years and survived

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

The correct way to play background music on a Mac in those days was to buy one of the DOS compatibles, press the key combination to switch over to the PC side and fire up WinPlay3

Wish you could still buy additional computers on expansion cards instead of using sucky virtual machines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sURGCTsC4EM&t=280s
owns

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Chris Knight posted:

and yet we did for years and survived

I think if you run the numbers it wasn’t actually very many people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica