Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

eschaton posted:

LOL you say that like it’s some horrible inefficiency to traverse a few runtime data structures

I said nothing about efficiency, I am talking about your code not being a god drat spaghetti mess that you have no idea what it's actually doing

Runtime reflection is especially bad because it totally defeats static analysis tools like find usages etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

gonadic io posted:

defeats static analysis tools like find usages etc.

So, at JOB, we're using a plang.
Some genius actually heard that, you know, we should have basically something like enums to store string/int values to actual human readable names.

So they declare them as static variables in a class.
To be more precise, these constants are declared in A STATIC ARRAY IN THE CLASS, so instead of poo poo like user::FOO_VALUE, we got to do user::CONSTRAINTS_ARRAY['fooValue']
So if you want to find out what's referencing the value of food value, welp time to search for strings~

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

gonadic io posted:

I said nothing about efficiency, I am talking about your code not being a god drat spaghetti mess that you have no idea what it's actually doing

Runtime reflection is especially bad because it totally defeats static analysis tools like find usages etc.

the annoying shittiness of reflection is one of java's strengths imo. you can get the black magic if you really need it but it has obvious limitations and juniors will have a hard time getting it to work correctly on their machine let alone anyone else's

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
pretty much any line of business app in c# or java depends profoundly on reflection to do serialization so at a minimum look forward to twiddling the set of attributes on your model classes. not that this is a bad thing.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

brap posted:

pretty much any line of business app in c# or java depends profoundly on reflection to do serialization so at a minimum look forward to twiddling the set of attributes on your model classes. not that this is a bad thing.

this is me 100%

if you look at newtonsoft json it has options to auto generate type properties on the output so that you can cast to a specific interface implementation when deserialising later and I was like "holy poo poo I literally implemented this myself I knew I wasn't crazy thinking this was a good idea"

It's kind of weird that .Net mvc has no built in equivalent though...thinking about it it wouldn't be that hard to bake it in by adding a html helper that binds a type property and then just having the model binder automatically pick that up and cast to that. currently you have to implement and register a customer binder yourself for every different interface you use

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao i got the code form the academic paper after literally 3 months of emailing them reminders

i forgot how bad academic code is:
- only works in one specific snowflake os configuration
- crashes randomly due to missing files
- virtually no points of customization or extension
- global variables galore
- lots of spaghetti

all in all its real shoddy code, just pure crap.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

floatman posted:

So, at JOB, we're using a plang.
Some genius actually heard that, you know, we should have basically something like enums to store string/int values to actual human readable names.

So they declare them as static variables in a class.
To be more precise, these constants are declared in A STATIC ARRAY IN THE CLASS, so instead of poo poo like user::FOO_VALUE, we got to do user::CONSTRAINTS_ARRAY['fooValue']
So if you want to find out what's referencing the value of food value, welp time to search for strings~

until the time somebody decides to be clever and does
String myVal(String valType) { user::CONSTRAINTS_ARRAY['foo' + valType]} and again you're megafucked

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

brap posted:

well ACTUALLY libraries on the java side are moving away from reflection more and more, to do things at compiletime instead. Jackson has the afterburner module for instance, and there are frameworks popping up such as micronaut.

also anything in the Android space basically limits reflection as much as possible

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

lmao i got the code form the academic paper after literally 3 months of emailing them reminders

- lots of spaghetti

oh cool our offshore team are publishing at last

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh cool our offshore team are publishing at last

there was a script missing, so i wrote to ask them about it and i was told "oh that one is still in progress, here follows a manual procedure that i did some weeks ago" and its a page of words but i tried to suss it out & wrote a script that did it in like 30 lines of python and it works with the next script

so im like, that cant be it? youve been doing that poo poo manually for weeks?!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Krankenstyle posted:

there was a script missing, so i wrote to ask them about it and i was told "oh that one is still in progress, here follows a manual procedure that i did some weeks ago" and its a page of words but i tried to suss it out & wrote a script that did it in like 30 lines of python and it works with the next script

send it to them and blow their loving minds

and then get queries from them asking you to support it for the next 20 years

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gonadic io posted:

send it to them and blow their loving minds

and then get queries from them asking you to support it for the next 20 years

lmao

im gonna do that once i know what license their code is under and what my boss will allow (hes probably on board, he literally asked if we could put any of my stuff on github the other day)

well see what they reply in 2-3 months time

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 16, 2018

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

Probably this translates to "we've been using writing this script as a way to onboard an undergrad"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

VikingofRock posted:

Probably this translates to "we've been using writing this script as a way to onboard an undergrad"

i guess thats ok. from looking them up, a bunch of them are linguists

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Krankenstyle posted:

we're too busy to change this manual process into an automatic one, no matter how long the transition might take

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i mean sure, they were too busy to emaiil the files for 3 months after their paper said they would be ready, so it kinda figures lol

e: actually the paper was 8 months old when i first emailed them lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think a decade ago there was some sort of software created as part of academic research somewhere that looked really cool that I kept hoping they would release, but after saying they would release it eventually for several *years* the people who made it just gave up and said they had decided that it was impossible (despite the software apparently functioning fine on their systems).

I think one of the problems was that it was written in smalltalk or something so they inevitably rewrote a lot of built in functionality until their software was incompatible with a normal environment (for some reason it seems like smalltalk or smalltalk derivatives like squeak not only allow but actually encourage this?).

I can't remember exactly what the program was, but the software itself was the point of the research, so it was pretty weird. It wasn't like software for performing calculations in a physical science field where it was created as an incidental part of the research and/or releasing it would allow people to check their work, showing that they screwed up their calculations and their research would have to be retracted, so they didn't really have any particular incentive to not release it, they just hadn't bothered to think about developing it in a way where it could be redistributed when creating the software (of course this makes you wonder if they could even reinstall it if their hard disk crashed or something).

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 16, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
My name is gazpacho and i am ... a terrible programmer. not because i strove for terribleness, but becaus I had it thrust upon me :smith:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

- lots of spaghetti

I have a broken brain, I read this and my first reaction was "this sounds like an interesting 'refactoring' project" :negative:

Boiled Water posted:

we're too busy to change this manual process into an automatic one, no matter how long the transition might take

oh hello do we work together

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I have a broken brain, I read this and my first reaction was "this sounds like an interesting 'refactoring' project" :negative:

oh hello do we work together

logstash has an issue where if you start it in a fresh docker container it can't start until it gathers enough entropy or some bullshit in practice this means a 15 min startup time

this has been happening for months and have i lifted a finger to fix it and save time? like gently caress, i like being all "pushed the button now time to stretch my legs"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mystes posted:

I think a decade ago there was some sort of software created as part of academic research somewhere that looked really cool that I kept hoping they would release, but after saying they would release it eventually for several *years* the people who made it just gave up and said they had decided that it was impossible (despite the software apparently functioning fine on their systems).

I think one of the problems was that it was written in smalltalk or something so they inevitably rewrote a lot of built in functionality until their software was incompatible with a normal environment (for some reason it seems like smalltalk or smalltalk derivatives like squeak not only allow but actually encourage this?).

I can't remember exactly what the program was, but the software itself was the point of the research, so it was pretty weird. It wasn't like software for performing calculations in a physical science field where it was created as an incidental part of the research and/or releasing it would allow people to check their work, showing that they screwed up their calculations and their research would have to be retracted, so they didn't really have any particular incentive to not release it, they just hadn't bothered to think about developing it in a way where it could be redistributed when creating the software (of course this makes you wonder if they could even reinstall it if their hard disk crashed or something).

in my experience its 50/50 "aaaa conference deadline!! gently caress everything as long as this piece of poo poo works" + "ew this code is gross, lemme clean it up real quick before releasing"

still no excuse for using global variables at the onset tho

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

AggressivelyStupid posted:

ive already started lol, i cant help myself

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Heh, so my ex-co-worker was asked to ask me if I would be willing to talk to the CEO for some potential work.

I was thinking some 1099 stuff that I could sub-contract so I said sure.

I got an SMS a few hours ago with a "Hey, ex-coworker said you were curious about the embedded position opening up on our Design team in 2019. We are open to considering you as a candidate based on your history with ${product you made by yourself}. So I have to ask - after your first experience with ${company}, and your satisfaction with your current position, why would you be interested in re-joining us?"

To which I replied "I'm not, I am happy with my current position, but I have noticed that ${company} has had my old job posted since I left 6 months ago. If you are interested in me doing some 1099 work, I will gladly consider it! My rate is $150/hr 10 hours minimum."

No response back.

The loving hubris of these jackwagons is astonishing. :allears:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 16, 2018

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ratbert90 posted:

Heh, so my ex-co-worker was asked to ask me if I would be willing to talk to the CEO for some potential work.

I got an SMS a few hours ago with a "Hey, ex-coworker said you were curious about the embedded position opening up on our Design team in 2019. We are open to considering you as a candidate based on your history with ${product you made by yourself}. So I have to ask - after your first experience with ${company}, and your satisfaction with your current position, why would you be interested in re-joining us?"

To which I replied "I'm not, I am happy with my current position, but I have noticed that ${company} has had my old job posted since I have left, and you haven't been able to fill my position. If you are interested in me doing some 1099 work, I will gladly consider it! My rate is $150/hr 10 hours minimum."

No response back.

goonspeed

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

today I had a conversation with the lead of a team that manage a system that deals with multi million dollar balance movements and who is extremely pissed that they're having performance problems because "apparently we're running out of database connections what the christ" and just lol god how is someone having db connection pooling issues in tyool 2018 with a sub 100 user base like how is that even possible

it's because they used to hard associate a user with a connection from some hosed up visual basic gui that would require regular server restarts to free up connections and they've ported the same hosed up idiot process to the Web version lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I just love the "we are considering you as a candidate!" part.
I purposefully mentioned the 6 month thing because this fucker said to my face that if I quit he could find a replacement in 2 weeks.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you should've quoted $1500/hour

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

ratbert90 posted:

To which I replied "I'm not, I am happy with my current position, but I have noticed that ${company} has had my old job posted since I left 6 months ago. If you are interested in me doing some 1099 work, I will gladly consider it! My rate is $150/hr 10 hours minimum."

No response back.

Why are you giving these guys a 50% discount on your usual rate????

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you should've quoted $1500/hour

$69 per 10 minutes, 4:20 hours minimum

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

today I had a conversation with the lead of a team that manage a system that deals with multi million dollar balance movements and who is extremely pissed that they're having performance problems because "apparently we're running out of database connections what the christ" and just lol god how is someone having db connection pooling issues in tyool 2018 with a sub 100 user base like how is that even possible

it's because they used to hard associate a user with a connection from some hosed up visual basic gui that would require regular server restarts to free up connections and they've ported the same hosed up idiot process to the Web version lmao

aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA

Krankenstyle posted:

ive already started lol, i cant help myself

im jealous

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

Why are you giving these guys a 50% discount on your usual rate????

Because I would be giving them 10% of my time. :v:
I would just sub-contract EVERYTHING to my South American contacts.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:awesomelon:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

internationally subcontracting a 1099 is probably real fun thing to remember during tax season

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

internationally subcontracting a 1099 is probably real fun thing to remember during tax season

I've done it for a few years now. I have a tax guy for this poo poo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

I've done it for a few years now. I have a tax guy for this poo poo.

bless, also you are really industrial lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

in 05 i interned at an sf company for i think 500 a week

decided not to pay taxes cause gently caress america

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im older now, and no longer cheat on my taxes

i also will not work in america to pay for their horrors

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

logstash has an issue where if you start it in a fresh docker container it can't start until it gathers enough entropy or some bullshit in practice this means a 15 min startup time

this has been happening for months and have i lifted a finger to fix it and save time? like gently caress, i like being all "pushed the button now time to stretch my legs"

SSH has this poo poo too, you have to install haveged

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
ratbert.log still goin strong

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

elite_garbage_man posted:

ratbert.log still goin strong

lol

I’m not trying! The mix of arrogance, incompetence, and all in all dissolution of reality are just making for some good stories.

I guess one other update I forgot to mention: The one other engineer who stayed when I left put his 2 weeks in a few days ago. So now they will have 0 programmers left who know anything about any of the code.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

bless, also you are really industrial lol

The way I see it: they are my contacts, I have known them for a few years now, as far as third party and foreign goes, they are quite good and are used to how I want code to look/be formatted/be organized.

It’s not a moral problem for me either. A company pays me for ${product} and I provide that. How I went about it doesn’t really matter so long as it’s legal and the quality is good yeah?

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 17, 2018