Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
This has undoubtedly been asked before, and I've had a quick Google but nothing stands out as being particularly concrete on the subject.

My question is this:

How much would you save in electricity to run one SSD in a NAS (for storage, not OS) versus one 3.5" HDD over the course of a year?

I am aware that electricity rates vary by region :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

HDD: 4W / 1000 Watt x 8766 hours x 0,20 price per kWh = ~ 7 money per year
SSD: 0,2 / 1000 x 8766 x 0,2 =~ 0,35

that’s assuming the drive is spinning :)

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Hmm. I was wondering about changing from spinning rust to SSD on my mirror array. I guess I'll wait for SSD's to tumble in price a bit more :grin:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Yeah, you'll make back the extra ~1k you spend to get the equivalent capacity in a mere century or so.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

:thumbsup:

EDIT:

On second thoughts. Just you wait Munkeymon, until THE ECOPOCALYPSE in less than a decade, as global warming wreaks havoc and energy becomes a quantifiable remaining resource. Then we'll see who's saving THE SUPERBUCKS on his lovely SSD mirror array! :grin:

apropos man fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 16, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

NAS vendors could do a lot about power consumption by improving standby/wake on lan functionality. :shrug:

Apple Macs have a feature where they advertise their bonjour services to a device in the network running a so called sleep proxy (Airport Express, Apple TV, Time Machine, there‘s even a Linux service for it) that intercepts any traffic directed to the sleeping machine and wakes it up.
This allows you to directly interact with a sleeping Mac as if it was running, the only difference is a 3 second delay on the first connection before it wakes up. It even works via VPN or a forwarded port.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

That's not gonna help much if you're running a torrent client on the thing

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

eames posted:

NAS vendors could do a lot about power consumption by improving standby/wake on lan functionality. :shrug:

Apple Macs have a feature where they advertise their bonjour services to a device in the network running a so called sleep proxy (Airport Express, Apple TV, Time Machine, there‘s even a Linux service for it) that intercepts any traffic directed to the sleeping machine and wakes it up.
This allows you to directly interact with a sleeping Mac as if it was running, the only difference is a 3 second delay on the first connection before it wakes up. It even works via VPN or a forwarded port.

Is this what Avahi does on Linux?

Munkeymon posted:

That's not gonna help much if you're running a torrent client on the thing

How bout this idea for a seedbox: you run the entire contents of your torrent data in RAM and it only wakes the disk when you've finished leeching, dumps the data and then sleeps the disk again.

Super efficient for disk energy consumption and only requires enough RAM for whatever you're seeding/leeching at any one time.

So that's about 64GB RAM on an average seedbox, then :grin:

eames
May 9, 2009

avahi is the linux implementation of bonjour

this would do the sleep proxy thing but I never tried/tested this: https://github.com/awein/SleepProxyClient

btw the storage scheme you described is exactly what Unraid does with its SSD cache (instead of RAM).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
UnRAID also spins down unused drives. You can get around the delay to get directory listings by using the cache Directories plugin.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just ordered a 12 hotswap bay Rosewill rack mount case with an ASrock z170 Extreme 6 with 10 SATA ports. 8GB RAMS. Gonna build an unRAID server. Is there anything I should be aware of? I haven't used unRAID before.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

redeyes posted:

I just ordered a 12 hotswap bay Rosewill rack mount case with an ASrock z170 Extreme 6 with 10 SATA ports. 8GB RAMS. Gonna build an unRAID server. Is there anything I should be aware of? I haven't used unRAID before.

You need a USB drive to run the OS. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

If you have a machine available right now you can run the demo and start preclearing drives.

nerox
May 20, 2001

redeyes posted:

Tell me how loud that rosewill case is when you get it, I was looking at it the other day.

Also get a low profile USB stick, I use a https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/

It doesn't protrude very far and even 32 gigs seems like is is overkill for unraid.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

caberham posted:

Do you have experience with synology?

1618 is kinda heavy duty and I would recommend a 918+ and see how you like it.

What do you mean by heavy duty? Anything beyond just that it's bigger? Any downsides to getting the 6 bay beside that it's 50% bigger and more expensive?
Or was your thinking more along the lines of start with the cheaper one until you know you like it?

I was originally thinking of getting a 5 bay, but they came out with a new 6 bay so I figured more future proof since it's more expandable and has a newer CPU and supports more RAM.

Four bay seemed like it didn't have much room for expansion since you gotta use 4 drives for SHR2 anyway.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Also gonna chime in and say I'm still running FreeNAS with no janitoring since the initial setup three or four years ago. The most in depth I ever got was tinkering with an OwnCloud jail, but other than that I just want my fileserver to be a fileserver and it's been doing the job admirably and unremarkably.

FreeNAS sounds like good software, but I'm at a point in my life where I'm no longer excited about piecing together hardware and just want something that works out of the box that someone else thought through :)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

cheque_some posted:

Or was your thinking more along the lines of start with the cheaper one until you know you like it?

Yeah this. And a few factors to consider:

Maximum concurrent users do you have?
What’s the most CPU intensive process do you need?
What kind of files are you storing?
And how much are you using?

quote:

Four bay seemed like it didn't have much room for expansion since you gotta use 4 drives for SHR2 anyway.

I guess so but as a prosumer who stores stuff for random movies and more important backlog of photographs SHR1 is plenty enough since I make actual backups elsewhere.

With storage prices getting cheaper and cheaper in the long term I feel that I can just get a new box down the road. And the synology tax for bigger bays do get a little steep compared to rolling your own machine.

I rather save the money for a better backhaul like 10gigabit lan or upgrade my internet connection to 2.5 GBs buy a bigger gaming monitor

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
What kind of drives do you guys use for file sharing and photo/video storage? Based on past recommendations I figure I'll dip my toe into the NAS water with the Synology 218play. Found these 4TB WD Reds on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Red-4TB-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B00EHBERSE/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1542466881&sr=1-5&keywords=DS918%2B&th=1 but the recent reviews have a fair amount of complaints.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
WD Reds are pretty much standard, yeah. If you want to get fancy, you can shuck the drives out of the EasyStore USB drives--they're almost always either straight up Reds, or Reds rebadged as white labels. You can get them for much cheaper that way, though you need to save the casings in case you ever need to RMA them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
WD Elements 8TBs have HGST drives in them, also easily shuckable. $149 each or less.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DrDork posted:

WD Reds are pretty much standard, yeah. If you want to get fancy, you can shuck the drives out of the EasyStore USB drives--they're almost always either straight up Reds, or Reds rebadged as white labels. You can get them for much cheaper that way, though you need to save the casings in case you ever need to RMA them.
I remember there were some reports of people successfully RMAing the bare drive.

Anyway I’ve now shucked 8 of these and highly recommend it! Somehow I got EFAX drives every time.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nerox posted:

Tell me how loud that rosewill case is when you get it, I was looking at it the other day.

Also get a low profile USB stick, I use a https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/

It doesn't protrude very far and even 32 gigs seems like is is overkill for unraid.

Will do, I'll take a few pictures.

Ha. I actually glossed over needing a USB drive for boot. That kind of sketches me out.. using a memory stick as boot for an important NAS. That one is really cheap. Would there be a better model?

quote:

If you have a machine available right now you can run the demo and start preclearing drives.

I'll wait for all the stuff to come in. I don't have the drives yet.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 17, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

redeyes posted:

Will do, I'll take a few pictures.

Ha. I actually glossed over needing a USB drive for boot. That kind of sketches me out.. using a memory stick as boot for an important NAS. That one is really cheap. Would there be a better model?

I'll wait for all the stuff to come in. I don't have the drives yet.

The USB is basically read only. There really isn't much to worry about. I've had my sandisk going for almost 2 years with no problems.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

The USB is basically read only. There really isn't much to worry about. I've had my sandisk going for almost 2 years with no problems.

I looked it up and actually unraid requires USB boot. So thats fine I guess.

Would this one work ok (just USB 3.0 instead of 2.0)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGTG41W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

[edit] actually I'm going to get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010NTIGNU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

and a full sized Samsung USB 3.0 32GB drive.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 17, 2018

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

cheque_some posted:

FreeNAS sounds like good software, but I'm at a point in my life where I'm no longer excited about piecing together hardware and just want something that works out of the box that someone else thought through :)

That was directed to the people talking about Unraid vs. FreeNAS, but I didn't piece my hardware together either. I bought a TS140 Thinkserver for $200 and put my drives in, installed FreeNAS and haven't had to do anything since then other than software updates.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!

sharkytm posted:

WD Elements 8TBs have HGST drives in them, also easily shuckable. $149 each or less.

Thanks for the tips about breaking down external drives! I'll look at getting 2 of these 8TB versions.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
I'm a little confused on buying storage expansion arrays. I currently have a full-blown server running FreeNAS. Would it be compatible with an additional storage array like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Netapp-DS2...0dfee:rk:1:pf:0 ? Could my server just be linked up with fiber to the storage array?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cheque_some posted:

Before I pull the trigger on a DS1618+ anything I should be aware of? They got the issues with the Intel Atom processors sorted out, right?

Basically I just want an easy to manage NAS that I don't have to spend a lot of time janitor-ing, but has some cool features, too.

Doooo it. Just don't expect it to render video in real time. (I haven't looked at the specs.)

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

cheque_some posted:

Before I pull the trigger on a DS1618+ anything I should be aware of? They got the issues with the Intel Atom processors sorted out, right?

I don’t think that processor supports quicksync so the cpu demand will be much more then say a ds918+ on transcodes with plex pass.

Either then that it’s really nice!

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

H110Hawk posted:

Doooo it. Just don't expect it to render video in real time. (I haven't looked at the specs.)

Viktor posted:

I don’t think that processor supports quicksync so the cpu demand will be much more then say a ds918+ on transcodes with plex pass.

Either then that it’s really nice!

Thanks. After this I started debating if I should get the 918+ or wait for the 1018+ because, what if I want to transcode 4K video for Plex? The 1618+ can only do 1080p in realtime? Then I realized I have no 4K video, and I don't use Plex. But somehow knowing that there was something out there "faster" is hard. I convinced myself I really just wanted the storage, and if I really end up needing to do transcoding later I can just get a little mini PC or something.

...and then I discovered Newegg had sold out of the 1618+ since I checked yesterday :sigh:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cheque_some posted:

Thanks. After this I started debating if I should get the 918+ or wait for the 1018+ because, what if I want to transcode 4K video for Plex? The 1618+ can only do 1080p in realtime? Then I realized I have no 4K video, and I don't use Plex. But somehow knowing that there was something out there "faster" is hard. I convinced myself I really just wanted the storage, and if I really end up needing to do transcoding later I can just get a little mini PC or something.

...and then I discovered Newegg had sold out of the 1618+ since I checked yesterday :sigh:

Yeah I bought a nuc to do the heavy lifting. I also just pre-encode everything because I have 1 client.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Ok so I have a comp I set aside a while ago to use as a NAS, and I have a bay installed with space for six 2.5 drives. If I'm just using the regular Intel RST for the RAID, and not a dedicated device, can / should I still get drives like the WD reds, or are regular drives like the blues ok?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The controller doesn't have any impact on your drives unless you want to run SAS drives for some reason. You'd still want Reds in a 24x7 situation since they're far less aggressive about parking the heads and that in itself can change the lifespan of the drive significantly.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

The controller doesn't have any impact on your drives unless you want to run SAS drives for some reason. You'd still want Reds in a 24x7 situation since they're far less aggressive about parking the heads and that in itself can change the lifespan of the drive significantly.

Thanks. I don't need super fast drives or anything, I was just wondering if it was worth the premium. I was just reading on Western Digital's site about the drives, and it's all geared towards what drives you want in what appliance, and I'm not using an off the shelf solution so I wasn't sure. Guess I'll go with the reds then.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I think the drives in my FreeNAS box are on their way out, one is reporting a sector as unreadable and I've tried the commands that zero out the sector and tell freeNAS to just ignore it, but it isn't working. I want to migrate to all new drives but all my drive bays are full, so what options for migration do I have?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I think the drives in my FreeNAS box are on their way out, one is reporting a sector as unreadable and I've tried the commands that zero out the sector and tell freeNAS to just ignore it, but it isn't working. I want to migrate to all new drives but all my drive bays are full, so what options for migration do I have?

You can swap the disk and pray, or get an external enclosure and pray. Once the disk is empty RMA it or recycle it. If you're worried about "remnant data" when recycling it hit it with a claw hammer a few times.

ebacho
Oct 26, 2010

Greatest Living Man posted:

I'm a little confused on buying storage expansion arrays. I currently have a full-blown server running FreeNAS. Would it be compatible with an additional storage array like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Netapp-DS2...0dfee:rk:1:pf:0 ? Could my server just be linked up with fiber to the storage array?

It'll work but you need the correct cables and HBA. I'm using a DS4243 attached to a LSI 9207-8e in my FreeNAS setup.

The hookups to the IOM3/6 in the DS2246/4243/4246 would require a Mini-SAS to QSFP+ cable like this which is kinda pricey: https://www.amazon.com/Data-Storage-Cables-C5697-1M-Electronics/dp/B00AAHQJB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511460461&sr=8-1&keywords=QSFP+8088

You can also buy the actual Netapp HBA and use QSFP+ to QSFP+ cables which are cheaper but I don't recommend this since it really doesn't like SATA drives. If for some reason you want to do this the part number is 111-00341/PM8003, it's plug and play in FreeNAS if you use SAS drives or have interposers for your SATA drives. Runs really hot so you'd need good airflow in your case.

Another alternative if you want to use normal Mini-SAS to Mini-SAS cables is to buy a controller for the Xyratex HB-1235 and swap it for the IOM in the Netapp shelf but some Servethehome users have said this setup periodically drops disks, so ymmv

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

apropos man posted:

How bout this idea for a seedbox: you run the entire contents of your torrent data in RAM and it only wakes the disk when you've finished leeching, dumps the data and then sleeps the disk again.

Super efficient for disk energy consumption and only requires enough RAM for whatever you're seeding/leeching at any one time.

So that's about 64GB RAM on an average seedbox, then :grin:

Spinning up a drive takes more power than keeping it spinning for, well, some amount of time that'll depend on the drive's construction. IIRC, spin-up/down cycles also cause more wear than steady spinning, again, for some time depending on the drive. What I'm getting at is min-maxing your microwatts of savings in your home is probably not worth the time and energy you'd spend thinking about it.

Now, if you run a datacenter where SANs energy usage can be measured in city block equivalent units, then what the hell are you doing reading this thread for advice :v:

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

ebacho posted:

It'll work but you need the correct cables and HBA. I'm using a DS4243 attached to a LSI 9207-8e in my FreeNAS setup.

The hookups to the IOM3/6 in the DS2246/4243/4246 would require a Mini-SAS to QSFP+ cable like this which is kinda pricey: https://www.amazon.com/Data-Storage-Cables-C5697-1M-Electronics/dp/B00AAHQJB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511460461&sr=8-1&keywords=QSFP+8088

You can also buy the actual Netapp HBA and use QSFP+ to QSFP+ cables which are cheaper but I don't recommend this since it really doesn't like SATA drives. If for some reason you want to do this the part number is 111-00341/PM8003, it's plug and play in FreeNAS if you use SAS drives or have interposers for your SATA drives. Runs really hot so you'd need good airflow in your case.

Another alternative if you want to use normal Mini-SAS to Mini-SAS cables is to buy a controller for the Xyratex HB-1235 and swap it for the IOM in the Netapp shelf but some Servethehome users have said this setup periodically drops disks, so ymmv

So you have a 24 bay enclosure but need one lsi 8e for each 8 drives?

Is there any benefit to going with the pricier Dell used options like powervault?

ebacho
Oct 26, 2010

Greatest Living Man posted:

So you have a 24 bay enclosure but need one lsi 8e for each 8 drives?

Is there any benefit to going with the pricier Dell used options like powervault?

Nah, you only need one cable per shelf.

Powervaults are pretty much the same as far as I know, don't think there's any advantage.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

cheque_some posted:

You can lookup the cpu models “passmark” and plex’s guideline section at https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/ for what passmark generally works per stream.

Where your not using plex it’s not so much of a issue! Where I guess sending on the client it would be doing the heavy lifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the best (relatively simple to set up, headless, requires minimal upkeep) solution for a home media server storage solution? I have an apple TV and would like to use something like Plex for streaming. Would a synology be ok for this? Would it be able to do 4k?