Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Qubee posted:

Stews cooking, ended up adding celery, leek and mushrooms to it, along with the potatoes and peas. I am so disappointed in myself for not making stew with porter all this time, because 1) I discovered I really really like the taste of porter, wish I'd tried it sooner and 2) it makes the stew smell 10x better. I threw in oregano, thyme, parsley, a tiny hint of nutmeg (I love nutmeg) and 2 bay leaves. I also listened to Lawnie and added some bacon. A good dash of worcestershire went in too. I couldn't find any good turnips, there were a total of three in the veg aisle and all were bruised, or on the way to rotting. Wish I picked up a swede, but they're notoriously stubborn and refuse to get cut, so I left it out.

I think this may well be the best drat stew I've ever made, and I haven't even tasted it yet. Took me an hour just chopping everything and watching over the pan as I caramelized the onions and carrots. It smells incredible, and I might just have a few bowls without any dumplings, I bought a fresh loaf of bread from the bakers to break and dip into the sauce, so having no dumplings isn't too bad. I'll use dumplings to prop up tomorrow's leftovers, and maybe add some turnips. I also got beef from the butchers in large slabs, so searing it was easy and the flour really helped thicken the stew, so I won't have to use gelatine.

It was also really therapeutic not being so anal and uptight with chopping. I cut everything up really rustically, so I've got nice big chunks of carrot to bite into, and the potatoes are different shapes and sizes. Before, I'd cut everything so meticulously.

:yeah:

Couldn't tell from your post, but you don't need to add things like celery or peas at the very beginning with the root veggies like potato or carrot. Won't hurt of course, but they might cook away into oblivion :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

whirly pop and im' serious

This is the real deal.

Also, I recommend a small kernel, hull-less popcorn variety if you want near total popping. They're not going to be giant movie theatre puffs, but they will be nice and crunchy and uniform.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lol

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
My hunger for hummus knows no bounds. Anyone got a good recipe? Maybe an instant pot method to make some fresher chickpeas.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Captainsalami posted:

My hunger for hummus knows no bounds. Anyone got a good recipe? Maybe an instant pot method to make some fresher chickpeas.

One time consuming trick to smoother hummus is to get all the skins off the chickpeas after you’ve cooked them and cooled them. You can shake them about to help get the skins off but I advise putting on some good music, getting comfortable and going through each chickpea and getting the skin off.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

tesco and marks and spencers and waitrose (and pretty much most supermarkets) make a really delicious sundried tomatoes and mozzarella thing. I love having it for breakfast: hummus, sundried tomatoes and mozzarella and a pitta bread.

I tried making slow roasted tomatoes, thinking that would be somewhat similar, but the taste wasn't exactly the same. any idea how I can replicate this myself at home? I wouldn't normally bother, but the supermarkets don't seem to sell the sundried tomatoes just on their own.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Helith posted:

One time consuming trick to smoother hummus is to get all the skins off the chickpeas after you’ve cooked them and cooled them. You can shake them about to help get the skins off but I advise putting on some good music, getting comfortable and going through each chickpea and getting the skin off.

If you submerge them the skins float.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

moller posted:

If you submerge them the skins float.

One weird trick! I’ll give this a go when I next make hummus, thanks.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Captainsalami posted:

For cooking the chickpeas, it's best to follow the directions from instant pot. According to their timetable* (for 12 PSI cookers), you'd need 10-15 minutes for soaked chickpeas. I soak chickpeas overnight on the counter. Pick out bad ones, wash a few times until the water doesn't get cloudy, then cover with plenty of water and place a lid over them. Then cook according to instant pot's directions.

Typically for hummus, you might use:
1 cup dried chickpeas (yields 2 cups+ cooked)
Enough chickpea cooking water to get the right texture (start with a few tablespoons)
A few tablespoons of oil
A few tablespoons to 1/4 cup nut butter (typically sesame aka tahini)
A clove of garlic or two (I like to fry it up first)
Lemon juice to taste
Salt to taste

Blend everything except the salt and lemon juice until you get the texture you want. Add more chickpea water if needed. Then transfer to a bowl and begin adding the lemon juice and salt. Mix up after each addition until you get the right acidity/salt level. I usually take the beans right out of the pressure cooker and blend them hot. I also sometimes use freshly roasted sesame seeds instead of tahini. Roast in a dry pan until brown and aromatic, then blend with everything else. The salt level is really important, insufficiently salted bean paste isn't so good, but once you've got the right salt level it tastes great.

*it's hilarious how they've put a picture of mung beans for lima beans and black beans for navy beans. Plus tiny chilis for green beans? What the hell?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Captainsalami posted:

Read this.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need to know how to make the ideal popcorn, in incredible detail. I'm not looking for flavorings or whatever, just technique.

Right now, I make it in a high-sided pan on the stove, using a hefty amount of avocado oil, heating the oil first to around ~400 and then adding popcorn, lidding it and shaking until done. There's enough room for the popcorn to move around in there.

Should I be adding the popcorn before heating or while it's already heated? What temperature should the pan be? Should I use a solid lid or a vented lid? What popcorn/oil ratio? Anything else I'm missing?

I still end up with a disproportionate amount of small, dense pieces, and too many half-popped ones. This seems to happen with both types of popcorn (mushroom and flowery kinds), white and yellow, and many different brands, from cheap-rear end dollar popcorn to the ten dollar ~artisinal~ kind.

The trick on the stovetop is to only do a single layer of kernals on the bottom of your pan. I forget how much oil I used or the time but it's similar to this:
https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/perfect_popcorn/

But now I just use one of these because you don't need oil at all, and it's one less pan to clean.

Buy whichever one is cheapest on amazon, it sound be under $10.

My favorite recipe is
pop
toss in ~ 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
toss in popcorn salt
toss in nutritional yeast

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

+1 vote for nooooootch

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
So I've got kind of a weird one here:

I'm currently undergoing radiation therapy for cancer, and my oncologists have said a few times that while I'm going through treatment, I want to minimize intake of antioxidants. This makes sense, since they protect you from cell death, and the goal of the treatment is to kill lots of cells.

I've been having a really hard time finding guidance on what I should specifically be trying to avoid, though. I was told to try and minimize Vitamin C intake, but it looks like there are other vitamins that also act as antioxidants?

I'm having a lot of issues with my appetite so I'd like to make some nutrient dense smoothies that don't taste disgusting, and that aren't packed with antioxidants. Everything I have found online is geared towards post-radiation treatment or normal folks who want lots of antioxidants. I'm sure I could figure this out (and I've got a meeting with a dietitian to clarify) but I'm hoping that some folks here can come up with some good ideas.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Good luck with the cancer, pal.

I'd honestly recommend waiting for your meeting with the dietitian for something like this. There are a lot of potentially spurious articles out there like this one that I wouldn't recommend using as a backbone for your nutritional intake while battling cancer. If your appetite is an issue, a good way to get lots of calories would be to cook a lot of pasta in lots and lots of some kind of oil, grate a whole bunch of cheese and pepper over it. Basically cacio e pepe, which isn't terribly nutritious from a micronutrient standpoint but will fill you up and provide tons of calories.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

E-Money posted:

I'm currently undergoing radiation therapy for cancer, and my oncologists have said a few times that while I'm going through treatment, I want to minimize intake of antioxidants. This makes sense, since they protect you from cell death, and the goal of the treatment is to kill lots of cells.

I've been having a really hard time finding guidance on what I should specifically be trying to avoid, though. I was told to try and minimize Vitamin C intake, but it looks like there are other vitamins that also act as antioxidants?

I'm having a lot of issues with my appetite so I'd like to make some nutrient dense smoothies that don't taste disgusting, and that aren't packed with antioxidants. Everything I have found online is geared towards post-radiation treatment or normal folks who want lots of antioxidants. I'm sure I could figure this out (and I've got a meeting with a dietitian to clarify) but I'm hoping that some folks here can come up with some good ideas.

Godspeed on the radiation, dude.

Like the Midniter said - this is one where you want clear guidance from the dietician. Not sure how long you have to wait before that meeting, though.

If appetite is a problem, and you're looking for smoothies because they go down easy, then this is the rare case where I'd say artificial flavors might actually work in your benefit. If you've got a blender, try something like this:

1 cup milk (dairy, or plant based, whatever sounds good to you)
1 cup greek yogurt
1/4 cup rolled quick oats (optional) (Note: DON'T use steel cut, or old fashioned. They stay chunky. Quick oats have been pre-cooked and will dissolve more readily.)

2 tsp. Nestle Quik (Strawberry)
-or-
1 packet of Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa powder
-or-
2 TBS Maple Syrup and 2 TBS Peanut Butter
-or-
Whatever flavor you want

Put it all in a blender and just keep it running until it is nice and smooth.

If my math is right, the most vitamin C you'll be getting out of that is 2% of your daily allowance - assuming you picked Strawberry Quik.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Booyah- posted:

The trick on the stovetop is to only do a single layer of kernals on the bottom of your pan. I forget how much oil I used or the time but it's similar to this:
https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/perfect_popcorn/

But now I just use one of these because you don't need oil at all, and it's one less pan to clean.

Buy whichever one is cheapest on amazon, it sound be under $10.

My favorite recipe is
pop
toss in ~ 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
toss in popcorn salt
toss in nutritional yeast

The best way to do popcorn is to heat a tbsp of oil on high with two or three kernels in: when they pop, tip in just enough kernels to form a single layer, and take off the heat for 30s. Then back on the heat until popping stops. Done.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just toss a big ol handful of kernels into a deep fryer filled with ghee.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

E-Money posted:

Vitamin E is an anti-oxidant.
Most plant pigments are carotenoids which are anti-oxidants.

One of the things you have to be mindful of with anti-oxidants is that not only do they inhibit oxidative processes (which is why, counterintuitively, mega doses of anti-oxidants tended to kill premature infants who were prone to infections, as the anti-oxidants obliterated oxidative components of their immune systems) but they can actually be turned into nasty free radicals if you're under abnormal oxidative load. There was a study a few decades back that was terminated early because smokers who were taking beta carotene supplements developed far more lung cancer than those who were taking a placebo.

I think most of your standard fare smoothie friendly fruits and vegetables would be out. Protein powders are likely low in anti-oxidants. If you're just looking to get enough calories in, adding plant oils to pudding mix or something might be tolerable. Naturally, consult with a professional.

Edit: Oh yeah, corn will contain lutein, which is an anti-oxidant, so beware.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

So my mom passed recently, and for the first time in several decades I have no reason to travel 5+ hours to see the rest of my family for thanksgiving (plus, I’m primary on-call so ...). I’m looking for a dinner idea for thanksgiving for one (or two, I’ve got nothing against leftovers). I’m thinking something with turkey cutlets, mashed ‘taters and dressing (yes, I know, double starch but gently caress it). I am also a huge fan of sweet-potato casserole (with pineapple and marshmallows).

I can handle the sides, but I’m looking for something a little more exciting than sautéing cutlets or roasting a frozen turkey breast.

Ideas? TIA

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Butterfly and stuff or whole hog and make Kenji's turchetta. Say gently caress it to Thanksgiving conventions and make turkey curry maybe.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Butterfly and stuff or whole hog and make Kenji's turchetta. Say gently caress it to Thanksgiving conventions and make turkey curry maybe.

Turkey porchetta looks interesting. Thanks!

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
It's delicious and kinda fun as a cooking project. Make sure you have good ventilation for the exterior sear stage at the end.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

LongSack posted:

So my mom passed recently, and for the first time in several decades I have no reason to travel 5+ hours to see the rest of my family for thanksgiving (plus, I’m primary on-call so ...). I’m looking for a dinner idea for thanksgiving for one (or two, I’ve got nothing against leftovers). I’m thinking something with turkey cutlets, mashed ‘taters and dressing (yes, I know, double starch but gently caress it). I am also a huge fan of sweet-potato casserole (with pineapple and marshmallows).

I can handle the sides, but I’m looking for something a little more exciting than sautéing cutlets or roasting a frozen turkey breast.

Ideas? TIA

This'll be my first solo Thanksgiving in a while, too. Someone recently told me that Chinese restaurants are pretty great on thanksgiving. I happen to have a real nice one nearby so I'm going to check that out.

Sorry about your mom.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

For a few years now my wife and I have done Masaman curry with leftover turkey for my family the day after Thanksgiving and it's always a hit. I might mix it up and do gumbo this year instead, or do gumbo with the turkey that we get sent home with.

Sorry about your mom Longsack.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I need the ultimate recipe for sweet potato pie filling. Preferably one that differentiates it from pumpkin pie somehow.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

I need the ultimate recipe for sweet potato pie filling. Preferably one that differentiates it from pumpkin pie somehow.

Smitten Kitchen's sweet potato pie has been one of the better ones I've had.

Or, try using Japanese or Korean sweet potatoes if you really wanna differentiate from pumpkin.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
How do I make chili oil for Asian foods? Apparently every store here stopped carrying it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

Or, try using Japanese or Korean sweet potatoes if you really wanna differentiate from pumpkin.

That looks good, and the buttermilk, lemon juice and extra salt could be just what I need for that edge. Thanks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Captainsalami posted:

How do I make chili oil for Asian foods? Apparently every store here stopped carrying it.

Buy crushed chili peppers, put in heat resistant bowl, heat veg oil, pour over chili.

Not too hot or it will burn but hot enough to sizzle.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Smoking the turkey again this year, but I'm curious what spices/rubs y'all might suggest.

Gimme ideas.

(but don't tell me to spatchcock it because I won't)

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Smoking the turkey again this year, but I'm curious what spices/rubs y'all might suggest.

Gimme ideas.

(but don't tell me to spatchcock it because I won't)

If you want to go for a rub instead of a brine, I recommend a subdermal rub. Get under the skin and put the spice down there so it stays on and soaks into the meat during smoking.

Don't go too heavy on the salt, at most I'd have 20% of the rub be salt. Personally I like thyme, paprika, garlic powder, lemon zest, sage, and rosemary. Def. put a pepper blend in there as well, up to you - black, white, chili, or grain of paradise.

Oh and if you can get it, put some Monarda (a.k.a. Bee Balm) in the rub. It was the traditional Native American spice used for poultry in the eastern US, and it is really wonderful. Depends on if an herb store near you sells it or not.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 16, 2018

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Hmmm... I've never used Grains of Paradise for anything before. Might be interesting!

If I'm rubbing in lieu of a brine (dry or otherwise) do I still apply the rub 12-24 hours prior to cooking?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Hmmm... I've never used Grains of Paradise for anything before. Might be interesting!

If I'm rubbing in lieu of a brine (dry or otherwise) do I still apply the rub 12-24 hours prior to cooking?

Yeah do it ahead of time. Only the salt will do anything with the extra time, but it does need it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Any reason not to do a dry brine before smoking?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
A Peruvian style rub(salt, cumin, paprika, black pepper, garlic, vinegar) is awesome on smoked turkey

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Annath posted:

Any reason not to do a dry brine before smoking?

Laziness? Fear of salt?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You may want to cut a little brown sugar into it as well (no more than 10 to 20%) if you would like a nice smoky glaze to form from the rub.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, I just found out that my parents' truck broke down, and will not be available for me to bring the smoker to their house for Thanksgiving.

So, how much of the prior advice still applies for an oven roasted bird?

I've cooked the turkey in the smoker for the last 10 years, so my memory of oven based techniques is dim and untrustworthy.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Annath posted:

So, I just found out that my parents' truck broke down, and will not be available for me to bring the smoker to their house for Thanksgiving.

So, how much of the prior advice still applies for an oven roasted bird?

I've cooked the turkey in the smoker for the last 10 years, so my memory of oven based techniques is dim and untrustworthy.

Ah, if you've got a broken truck at your disposal, might I suggest:

https://youtu.be/niegc7QcilM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

It's unsettling, however, that this doesn't have any molasses or even any brown sugar