Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So I did a stupid thing and traded in my perfectly fine PS4 Pro that I had for about 7 months for the new model with the supposedly quieter fan. The fan noise has just been a constant annoyance for me, even before I found out it was a common thing in a lot of Pro models.

Holy poo poo it's like night and day. On God of War and RDR2 on my old Pro, the fan would constantly blast at (I assume) max speed and sound like a jet engine. On the new Pro I tested both games and I literally can't hear the fan changing from any more than low hum.

Again, it was a total waste of money and no one should do what I did, but I'm kinda glad I did? Also I now have an extra copy of RDR 2 I need to trade in or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lol, the “never buy the first version” rule applies to revisions now

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Hey guys I'm thinking on buying a couple of games in this sale. What do you guys think about:

- Dad of BOI
- Dragon's Crown Pro
- Prey Deluxe Edition (the mooncrash dlc looked cool in the trailer)

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

DanZX posted:

Hey guys I'm thinking on buying a couple of games in this sale. What do you guys think about :

- Dad of BOI

Get this, it's currently at an amazing price on PSN.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dad of Boi is my favourite game this year. It's so good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dad of Boi is excellent, please ignore the two goons who are going to come and tell you it’s meh

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wouldn't play GoW on the higher difficulties but I had a blast with it and got everything on my playthrough.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just Cause 3 with all the DLC for 9$ is a god damned bargain.

Also grabbed TLOU cause, hell, it's 6 bucks.

It's worth spending 6 bucks to me to not have to dig around to find the game disc from back when I originally bought it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

DanZX posted:

Hey guys I'm thinking on buying a couple of games in this sale. What do you guys think about :

- Dad of BOI
- Dragon's Crown Pro

BOI and Prey, definitely.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

god of war is at least in contention for goty imo. fantastic game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Renoistic posted:

I wouldn't play GoW on the higher difficulties but I had a blast with it and got everything on my playthrough.

I played on hard and found it to be a good level of challenge for the most part.

That said, there are some optional fights that are pretty much unwinnable if you come to them at the wrong time. I think it wants you to leave and come back when you have better stats, but God of War is extremely bad at letting you track stuff like that, so I would just turn down the difficulty for those fights rather than hope I could find my way back again.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DanZX posted:

- Dad of BOI
- Dragon's Crown Pro

theres been a lot of contention about prey as it apparently does not (did not? they fixed it maybe?) run great on console and you can end up in situations where you do a lot of backtracking or zone transitions so that would probably harm your experience

but prey is really fun, especially if you like ~immersive sims~ or whatever people call arkane games. i mean its an arkane game, and its their best as far as non linear map exploration goes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PantsBandit posted:

I played on hard and found it to be a good level of challenge for the most part.

That said, there are some optional fights that are pretty much unwinnable if you come to them at the wrong time. I think it wants you to leave and come back when you have better stats, but God of War is extremely bad at letting you track stuff like that, so I would just turn down the difficulty for those fights rather than hope I could find my way back again.

I gritted my teeth through those extremely difficult early optional fights, emerged victorious after about an hour of attempts, and became a stronger dad for it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one thing about god of war that i think might wildly affect your difficulty experience is i guess the runes you get arent static? i got a bullet time activation rune that auto procs off of perfectly timed dodges and its made combat WAY easier. i got it pretty early, too.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is it worth getting a PS4 Pro if I don't have a 4k tv but do have a 1440p monitor

no

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My heart tells me that I already own a PS4 and should get a PSVR instead because Everyone Loves Astro Bot

yes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

rabidsquid posted:

one thing about god of war that i think might wildly affect your difficulty experience is i guess the runes you get arent static? i got a bullet time activation rune that auto procs off of perfectly timed dodges and its made combat WAY easier. i got it pretty early, too.

Wait, really? I missed a lot of chests early but I assume the runic and talisman stuff was all fixed location . That's nuts

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

God of War and Hollow Knight, get 'em

Diablo III also a good buy, I thought about picking it up, but remembered I really exhausted it on PC. I did quit before the Necromancer expansion, though... never really cared much for necro in D2... AUGHGH shoutin' it out of my head! Don't Buy It Again

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

mcbexx posted:

There is so much hidden/obscure stuff in that game, just judging from two clips I watched on Youtube - ghosts, a ghost train, a vampire (or dude claiming to be one) and tons of hats and unique weapons hidden at remote locations (like a conquistador on top of a mountain with a helmet).

I have stopped watching those clips for fear of getting spoilered, since I am still in chapter 2, but it seems Rockstar has put an insane amount of content into this game that 90% of players will never even see.

RDR2 just came out at the wrong time for me. I was having fun in Odyssey and I am going to go back to that, but I am basically rushing through the story in RDR2 because it's somewhat interesting even though I think the gameplay is mundane.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
It'd be nice if Sony would hand out that $15 credit from the Countdown to Launch already to use in this sale :argh:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

Nah I got the witch time rune early too, in elf land. Pretty sure it's at a fixed location

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Quite a bit of handwaving on Last Guardian's performance. If the moment to moment actions all carry a sense of uncertainty because you have no idea if your actions will actually take or not so you can progress is a pretty terrible if not tedious atmosphere. It felt like pixel hunting to be in the right spot to call the catbird at the right time to make anything happen. That trashfire that should have never released.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

A few pages late but The Last Guardian just simply sucked, sorry to say. Yeah it was cute with charm & a poignant ending but beyond that it wasn’t good at all imo

Quote-Unquote posted:

Also, buy Rez. I can't recommend this enough!

I would buy a console for Rez. PS4 was my 3rd time buying it, and VR makes it so dope

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I gritted my teeth through those extremely difficult early optional fights, emerged victorious after about an hour of attempts, and became a stronger dad for it.

I'm specifically talking about the rift fights and Valkryie fights, both of which you can access at any time after a certain point in the game. They don't really give you any indication of when you're supposed to do them, so sometimes they'll be easy and other times they'll be nightmares. Some of those are satisfying to brute-force your way through, like you said, some are just frustrating uphill battles as you whittle away at a massive health bar then die after 10 minutes because you got stun-locked and killed in 3 hits.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PantsBandit posted:

I'm specifically talking about the rift fights and Valkryie fights, both of which you can access at any time after a certain point in the game. They don't really give you any indication of when you're supposed to do them, so sometimes they'll be easy and other times they'll be nightmares. Some of those are satisfying to brute-force your way through, like you said, some are just frustrating uphill battles as you whittle away at a massive health bar then die after 10 minutes because you got stun-locked and killed in 3 hits.

Yup, I did every single optional fight as soon as it technically became accessible with the exception of the last few valkyries. In retrospect I would not recommend doing this.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SettingSun posted:

Return to Arkham for 5 bucks. How was that remaster?

Excellent, though locked to 30fps if that matters to you. Five bucks for Asylum and City is an insanely good deal though, and the in-game lighting and texture quality is drastically improved.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do the PS+ memberships go on sale cheaper than 40bux? Was thinking about getting that to reup my sub but since black friday is around the corner, I don't know if it's ever been cheaper around that time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

A few pages late but The Last Guardian just simply sucked, sorry to say. Yeah it was cute with charm & a poignant ending but beyond that it wasn’t good at all imo

I’m glad you felt the need to bring this up after a few pages so you could post your detailed, well-reasoned, eloquent opinion, which truly adds to the conversation

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Quite a bit of handwaving on Last Guardian's performance. If the moment to moment actions all carry a sense of uncertainty because you have no idea if your actions will actually take or not so you can progress is a pretty terrible if not tedious atmosphere. It felt like pixel hunting to be in the right spot to call the catbird at the right time to make anything happen. That trashfire that should have never released.

The Last Guardian sounds like a game that I probably would have loved when I was younger and had a lot more time.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Jimbot posted:

Do the PS+ memberships go on sale cheaper than 40bux? Was thinking about getting that to reup my sub but since black friday is around the corner, I don't know if it's ever been cheaper around that time.

Maybe you could combine a sale with coupon codes to once in a while get it for like $36 or something, but $40 is basically the standard floor price and I'd jump on it just to save yourself future hassle. I'm probably gonna get 2 years just to not have to think about this again next year.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DanZX posted:

- Dad of BOI
- Dragon's Crown Pro

I got Dragon's Crown and as someone who was able to stick through Castle Crashers to the end- which isn't the same but that's the best beat em up example I've got right now- I don't think I even made it to level 18 before putting it down. It's weird. Something about it just didn't click with me. Not being able to make a party of your own characters so they can level up along side you so you don't spend 4 hours playing Dwarf and get to level ~34 or something and then go back to playing a lvl 1 elf was a very lacking feature in the game for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DanZX posted:

- Dad of BOI
- Dragon's Crown Pro

God of War is a system defining game. Dragon's Crowns is cool but I got tired of it pretty quickly. Prey is a great game, but personally I'd get gow if forced to pick.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just started Spyro. It looks pretty drat good but two things stick out to me: Holy poo poo, so much motion blur, and wow this framerate is not at all consistent.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've never played a Persona game and I have no interest in the personal lives of high school students. Should I get Persona 5?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

enojy posted:

God of War and Hollow Knight, get 'em

Diablo III also a good buy, I thought about picking it up, but remembered I really exhausted it on PC. I did quit before the Necromancer expansion, though... never really cared much for necro in D2... AUGHGH shoutin' it out of my head! Don't Buy It Again

The necromancer isn't any kind of expansion it's just a character.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

me your dad posted:

I've never played a Persona game and I have no interest in the personal lives of high school students. Should I get Persona 5?

Probably not.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

me your dad posted:

I'm the exact same. I played the game on thread recommendation and enjoyed it a lot. It's stylish and fun, but I never finished it because it's so god drat long. If it's on sale definitely give it a try, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it and have a perpetual plan to go back to it, but other games exist.

Policenaut posted:

Probably not.

I think it's on sale. I'd say it's worth the risk at a good discount

JBP fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 16, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It looks like Best Buy will also be selling 12 month PS+ cards for $40 on black friday, in case you want the option to let your subscription lapse when there's crap games. If you fail to procure one on black friday from Best Buy, you can come back to the PSN sale which goes on to the 27th

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

me your dad posted:

Definitely not.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Welp, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a PSVR headset. There's finally enough stuff out that I want to try, and the black friday special (I got the Moss / Astrobot bundle) is pretty good*, so here we are. I've never tried VR before, so this should be novel in the very least.

*This isn't active yet, but Best Buy honors in-house price drops during the return period. I also ordered some move controllers :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

me your dad posted:

High school student barely applies except when it gets weird with the teacher. It's an 80 hour anime jrpg. You know if you're up for that or not.