Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Getting a psvr soon, what game were you guys talking about that suggested/required headphones? Sounded interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Truman Sticks posted:

I don't know of a way to get rid of guns outright, but you can buy a second Cattleman Revolver from a gun store and it should replace the Worn revolver in your inventory.

Regarding fishing: I've had luck holding the control stick with my thumb and forefinger and rotating it similar to an actual fishing reel.

Buy the off hand holster and you can dual wield single hand weapons, Including sawed off shotguns.

I'm taking a break from rdr2 for a bit and playing Prey (he recent one)
Is anything missable because I didnt't remember what I was doing so I started a new game and now I can't remember where I got some little shocky gun looking thing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PJOmega posted:

Getting a psvr soon, what game were you guys talking about that suggested/required headphones? Sounded interesting.

If you're looking specifically for games that do better with headphones, I'd suggest Tetris Effect and Thumper.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I'll back that Thumper rec 100% (yet to play tetris effect but I can see that being similarly enjoyable) but I think they were remembering this post

exquisite tea posted:

The only things I would recommend for Hellblade besides the 100% mandatory "wear headphones" are that it's one of those games that's better with subtitles turned OFF, and Senua's melee breaks shields and extends combos when used on the last hit of any normal attack string. You also get some different attacks when running or after a perfect parry. The less you know about it going in, the better. I haven't played the VR version myself but I'd like to see your thoughts on it!

which isn't and won't be coming out on psvr.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don’t know if it’s possible to buy an offhand holster but you definitely shouldn’t because you get one for free in an early mission in chapter 2.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

PJOmega posted:

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, probably.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Anyone want to whip up a Fallout 76 post? I feel like "holding down your Pip-Boy key turns on its light" and "the crafting materials in your stash are usable from anywhere" are the two most instant things someone unaccustomed to the recent series might appreciate. Oh and "your microphone is on by default and someone is absolutely laughing while listening to you yell at your mom while making your character"

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Morpheus posted:

If you're looking specifically for games that do better with headphones, I'd suggest Tetris Effect and Thumper.

RRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ!

(Rez)

If you're already played/beaten Rez, it's a little pricey for one extra level, but the VR fits Rez super well and the extra level is amazing, and I'm pretty sure it comes with the soundtrack, so you can Rez it up when you play other games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh one thing - maybe you've got people that like watching you play games or something, and might not like how Senua recommends you wear headphones. Well, if the second person grabs a controller and plugs headphones into it, they can also hear the same things you are.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Can I offer an addition to the tip on the wiki about not taking fall damage in Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey?

I’ve not seen the game tell you this anywhere, but like in Origins, if you press the free-run button (X on PS4, I’m guessing A on the Bone) again just before you hit the ground, you’ll do a roll and take less damage from falling than you would otherwise.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CordlessPen posted:

RRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ!

(Rez)

If you're already played/beaten Rez, it's a little pricey for one extra level, but the VR fits Rez super well and the extra level is amazing, and I'm pretty sure it comes with the soundtrack, so you can Rez it up when you play other games.

I keep my Xbox 360 up and connected specifically to play Rez on relaxing days. Does the PS4 version have the option to run multiple controllers for haptic feedback?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Cultural Marxist posted:

Can I offer an addition to the tip on the wiki about not taking fall damage in Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey?

I’ve not seen the game tell you this anywhere, but like in Origins, if you press the free-run button (X on PS4, I’m guessing A on the Bone) again just before you hit the ground, you’ll do a roll and take less damage from falling than you would otherwise.

Fall damage straight up turns off at level... 10? I think? And will never ever kill you regardless of level. That wolf you landed next to, however...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

juliuspringle posted:

I'm taking a break from rdr2 for a bit and playing Prey (he recent one)
Is anything missable because I didnt't remember what I was doing so I started a new game and now I can't remember where I got some little shocky gun looking thing.
Not really. Suit/Helmet addons are randomized, so they're only missable in the sense that they're never guaranteed anyway. There are all of maybe five different weapon types and they're all found numerous times all over the station, so that's not really an issue, either.

There's an important bug you might want to keep in mind, though. Near the end of the game, there's a locked door with a corpse sitting within a fire nearby it. On that corpse is a key card. The corpse has a tendency to clip through the wall if you touch it, though, and there's no duplicate or alternate route anywhere. If you ever run into a situation like that, save first, because that killed off my first run-through of the game and haven't been able to bring myself to try again since.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don’t know if it’s possible to buy an offhand holster but you definitely shouldn’t because you get one for free in an early mission in chapter 2.

You can get one early by completing the first tier of one of the challenges and buying it at the Trapper.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kruller posted:

Fall damage straight up turns off at level... 10? I think? And will never ever kill you regardless of level. That wolf you landed next to, however...

At level 20, you stop taking damage from fall damage and the falling animation changes to a really heroic looking leap and roll.

At level 35 you can do a ground pound.

It's even narratively fitting!

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

The Iron Rose posted:

At level 35 you can do a ground pound.

You know, it's really hard on your knees. Totally impractical.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is Odyssey some kind of series crossover with Infamous or something? Because this conversation kinda makes it sound like it's trying to be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In function it plays more like an open-world RPG ala TW3 or Mass Effect complete with branching dialogue choices, skill trees, sparkly loot, and even romance options. Except you also get to climb real high too I guess.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
So Sunset Overdrive just came out on PC and I just bought it on Steam.

Is there anything I should know before I play it?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Is Odyssey some kind of series crossover with Infamous or something? Because this conversation kinda makes it sound like it's trying to be.

I didn't think it was possible but you sold me on Odyssey. How are the microtransactions?

For Prey: The recycler grenades that the wiki recommends as an alternative to leverage requirements suck stuff towards them including you. Wasn't expecting that so I figured I'd mention it so someone else can be more careful.

Now that I FINALLY have access to a copy of Fallout 4 I should actually be able to run properly is there anything I absolutely should know first. I've put a bunch of hours into 3 and NV (and 11 hours into 4 on steam before it got patched and hated my built in graphics card) I have all the dlc but I'm mostly just concerned with getting locked into the main storyline or locked out of content. I'm hoping I can just dick around like before but none of the dlc existed back when I did my 11 hours. PLEASE try to avoid anything too specific storywise since thankfully I don't really remember anything I accidentally learned up until now.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Quiet Python posted:

Ditto. So far all I've gathered is you need to use a controller and the steam controller doesn't cut it very well but I haven't hosed around with tweaking the config and there isn't a community favorite yet. I somehow doubt it'll have ds4 support, and I'm probably in the minority on this issue.

Otherwise the tutorial seems to be doing a good job but I'm like two hours in maybe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quiet Python posted:

Progress the story until you get the airdash. After that do whatever seems fun to you and upgrade whatever you feel like.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

juliuspringle posted:

I didn't think it was possible but you sold me on Odyssey. How are the microtransactions?

Absolutely ignoreable

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Now that I FINALLY have access to a copy of Fallout 4 I should actually be able to run properly is there anything I absolutely should know first. I've put a bunch of hours into 3 and NV (and 11 hours into 4 on steam before it got patched and hated my built in graphics card) I have all the dlc but I'm mostly just concerned with getting locked into the main storyline or locked out of content. I'm hoping I can just dick around like before but none of the dlc existed back when I did my 11 hours. PLEASE try to avoid anything too specific storywise since thankfully I don't really remember anything I accidentally learned up until now.

If you have it on an SSD there is a mod you can get called fast loader or some poo poo to get it to load waaay faster. Cut it down from a minute to 10 seconds for me, though another goon said you can accomplish the same outcome by running in windowed borderless mode

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

juliuspringle posted:

It's stupid that cash shops exist in a single-player game at all, even if they are mostly for cosmetic gear, but the clickbaity youtube thinkpieces about needing to grind for levels in Odyssey are totally out of line with my own experience. If you just play it like a normal RPG, do sidequests, climb some buildings, clear some outposts, you'll be way ahead of the leveling curve.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It's stupid that cash shops exist in a single-player game at all, even if they are mostly for cosmetic gear, but the clickbaity youtube thinkpieces about needing to grind for levels in Odyssey are totally out of line with my own experience. If you just play it like a normal RPG, do sidequests, climb some buildings, clear some outposts, you'll be way ahead of the leveling curve.

I might have to get it eventually then because I love inFamous but I haven't played AC since I think Black Flag on PS3.

Is there a recommended SPECIAL for starting out Fallout 4? I don't know if it changed or it's just been so long I didn't remember but it apparently expects me to allocate everything myself instead of just starting kind of middling and fine tuning as I go.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

In function it plays more like an open-world RPG ala TW3 or Mass Effect complete with branching dialogue choices, skill trees, sparkly loot, and even romance options. Except you also get to climb real high too I guess.
That series has gone strange places since I played Brotherhood.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cardiovorax posted:

That series has gone strange places since I played Brotherhood.

it had a soft reboot when the third game crashed and burned (leading to the very successful pirating game Black Flag) , and then another again more recently with origins/odyssey when they decided to slow down development and stop trying to get one out every year after a few very rushed and buggy launches

it's been a good move, but I very much would love a revisit to the Ezio style someday

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flatluigi posted:

it had a soft reboot when the third game crashed and burned (leading to the very successful pirating game Black Flag) , and then another again more recently with origins/odyssey when they decided to slow down development and stop trying to get one out every year after a few very rushed and buggy launches

it's been a good move, but I very much would love a revisit to the Ezio style someday

Slight correction; Syndicate is the first "maybe we shouldn't work our staff to death for mediocre annual iterations" release. They learned some lessons the hard way out of Unity.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It definitely didn't have any of the gameplay changes of Origins, though, which was what I was saying

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the changes, because I liked Italian Stabby Times, but I guess less rushed and buggy titles are always a good thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ubi kind of repurposed Assassin's Creed to fill in the RPG void left behind by whatever the hell Bioware is doing now, and it seems to have worked out well for them. I hadn't played any AC since Black Flag but I was all-in on the concept of Odyssey as soon as it was announced.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I just want to be gay and stab cis people in ancient greece

Barudak
May 7, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

I might have to get it eventually then because I love inFamous but I haven't played AC since I think Black Flag on PS3.

Is there a recommended SPECIAL for starting out Fallout 4? I don't know if it changed or it's just been so long I didn't remember but it apparently expects me to allocate everything myself instead of just starting kind of middling and fine tuning as I go.

You always allocate everything at the start in fallout. The difference is now you level an infinite number of times and can take "improve a special stat by one" at any time when you level.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

In the base game you can eventually get every stat to 11 if you game it properly. 12 in one with the SPECIAL book and having a negative temporary modifier to the stat you want to raise.

Unlike in some of the previous games Endurance increases are retroactive so you get the full HP boost when you increase it.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Kruller posted:

Oh for sure, fall damage will never kill you, but it will deplete your health bar, which is obviously why that pesky wolf will kill you. Doing the little strategic roll though leaves you with a bit of health that might help you withstand a wolf bite. Or a loving snake. gently caress those guys.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

You always allocate everything at the start in fallout. The difference is now you level an infinite number of times and can take "improve a special stat by one" at any time when you level.

So just dump points into whatever at the initial creation? I'm just worried I'm gonna find out 3 hours in that I screwed myself somehow.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

juliuspringle posted:

So just dump points into whatever at the initial creation? I'm just worried I'm gonna find out 3 hours in that I screwed myself somehow.
Your SPECIAL most directly affects what perks you can take ASAP. It depends how you want to play the game but you’ll probably want to make sure you can qualify for gun and armor crafting at least. The tutorial area gives you one last chance to reallocate things before you start the game too, and IIRC you can look at the Perk chart while there.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
First-time Valkyria Chronicles player here (after buying the PC remaster, then the PS4 port, then the Switch port of the PS4 port). The wiki page has been expanded greatly since last time I looked, but I actually have a story question. No spoilers here, unless you consider "the main character is in charge of a military unit during fantasy WWII" a spoiler rather than the game's concept.

It's early in chapter 4 and Welkin has announced that he has a cunning plan for the upcoming operation. I now have the option to progress the story or view an optional cutscene titled "The Plan". Does this scene actually reveal the plan, and if I progress the story will I be able to go back and view it later? I actually want to continue blind and be surprised when Welkin's stratagem pays off all according to keikaku, but I'm concerned that not knowing how to execute said keikaku will make the mission much more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

juliuspringle posted:

You can't do absolutely everything on one playthrough, because going too far with one faction locks you out of the others. Other than that, nothing is permanently missable.