Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

jagstag posted:

however if you apply no wrong readings to everything how are you going to cover satire

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A reading can never be wrong. However, it can be weak or inconsequential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

cheers

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The only way for a reading to be wrong is if it's factually inaccurate about the contents of the text, but then it isn't a valid reading in the first place. Assuming that you're talking about what's actually described in a satire, you can absolutely choose to read it as an endorsement of what it condemns. It would be dumb, but it wouldn't be wrong.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

so if i was to say that a modest proposal was actually pro baby eating you would say that the reading is weak/inconsequential and not wrong?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Franchescanado posted:

An example of this from CineD*, from about a year ago, a goon couldn't comprehend how to interpret film beyond what the film presented or reading about the filmmaker's intention. Symbolism, interpretation, themes, motifs, all of it was beyond their own creative interpretations. It became such an issue that they were given a Mod Challenge to come up with any interpretation of any aspect of Alien. All they had to do was pick one or two signifieds and then discuss their signifiers; it could be bat-poo poo insane, as long as it was an original interpretation. They were even given examples of how to do so. Their result? An essay detailing the art director's intention, the cinematographer's intention, the writer's intention, and Ridley Scott's intention. They were incapable of anything other than reading imdb trivia and wikipedia articles. Heavy reliance on author intention creates goons like that. (If I can find a link, I'll edit it in, because it's a great argument for Death of the Author.)

As someone who only knows what signified and signifier means is because they googled it as a result of this post, let mejust say that would be an amazing thread to read. Especially where it concerns my own difficulty with theme, symbolism and what have you. Though I would hope in my case it's more lack of experience then total inability.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

jagstag posted:

so if i was to say that a modest proposal was actually pro baby eating you would say that the reading is weak/inconsequential and not wrong?
Correct.

Edit: Mel's answer is better.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

jagstag posted:

It would depend on how you explain your reasoning. Criticism is not just going "this book is about this" without providing any analysis.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The only way for a reading to be wrong is if it's factually inaccurate about the contents of the text, but then it isn't a valid reading in the first place. Assuming that you're talking about what's actually described in a satire, you can absolutely choose to read it as an endorsement of what it condemns. It would be dumb, but it wouldn't be wrong.

then who is to say what is a dumb reading and what is a good reading?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

jagstag posted:

You are.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Why does there have to be some infallible authority on the Correct Reading of a text?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

As someone who only knows what signified and signifier means is because they googled it as a result of this post, let mejust say that would be an amazing thread to read. Especially where it concerns my own difficulty with theme, symbolism and what have you. Though I would hope in my case it's more lack of experience then total inability.

Mythologies by Roland Barthes

I know I bang the drum about Barthes all the time but I really do consider it the bible for beginner critical theory

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

jagstag posted:

the reader of the reading

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the reader of the reading

and then that reader of the reading can misconstrue what the author of that reading says

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

jagstag posted:

and then that reader of the reading can misconstrue what the author of that reading says

now you're getting it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

OscarDiggs posted:

Mel's post from last page (P.2, Sec. 2 "Post Structuralism") defined signified and signifier and sign in simple terms, and Roland Barthes Mythologies defines them in the essay Myth Today (page 55 of this PDF, pg 107 of the actual document).

I've asked several threads and CineD's discord for a link to that thread. If I find it, I'll happily post it.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

jagstag posted:

im pretty sure this is at least partly how the current resurgence of nazis came about. people taking satire and 'irony' and reading it literally. so no, not even necessarily inconsequential.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
contrary to the author, Godwin is very much alive

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I read At the Mountains of Madness and it reminded me of the time I took a trip to the mountains, so it is a happy book for me. This is a strong reading of the text.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Seldom Posts posted:

I read At the Mountains of Madness and it reminded me of the time I took a trip to the mountains, so it is a happy book for me.

explain why

I mean in general, I don't get why dinguses think a subjective reading is wholly voluntary. Like they seem to think you can go "so I can say War and Peace is about migratory penguins and you can't say I am wrong" :smug:

Subjectivity is not voluntary, subjectivity is inherent. A book can have infinite meanings to the reader as subject, but the reader is not reading subjectively if they are just tossing interpretations they don't believe in for the sake of it.

I mean, at some level I do envy the ability for a barely literature manchild to stumble upon the last half century of critical thought and think "heh, idiots, if the book can have infinite readings than I can just say whatever I want."

Like, do you really think this is not something critics realized?

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 16, 2018

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Seldom Posts posted:

I read At the Mountains of Madness and it reminded me of the time I took a trip to the mountains, so it is a happy book for me. This is a strong reading of the text.

I think, if I am understanding the point, that yeah, sure. If you read At the Mountains of Madness as a happy book, congrats; more happiness in the world for you. You might have been drunk off your tits or hallucinating stuff up as you were reading it, or you may have been at your most perceptive and cogent, picking up on things no one else ever has. You can read At the Mountains of Madness in such a way because you are an autonomous human who has had your own lived experiences. And those expereinces are the lens through which you interpret the stuff in the book.

So, just as someone with schizophrenia might interpret something on the radio as a sign from God to start the harvest, you can read At the Mountains of Madness as a happy book. Because the life you have experienced thus far up to that point has led you to interpret it as such. And indeed, in 20 years time you may re-read it and with the additional 20 years of lived experience you have gained re-think and say "Actually, At the Mountains of Madness is about migratory Penguins!" and there is nothing inherently wrong with that. And 10 years ago you may have read it and thought "I am so sick of these allegorical books about wheat farming during the Civil War."

But people may be skeptical of your reading, and may ask you to back it up with an argument why you think that is the case. Which is why Mel could say your interpretation of At the Mountains of Madness as a happy book because it reminded you of a trip you took once is a weak one.

I think so anyway.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Read motherfucking Lord of the Flies.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Speaking of which, Lord of the Flies might be the wrongest taught book in all of American fiction

Second only, maybe, to The Scarlet Letter

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of which, Lord of the Flies might be the wrongest taught book in all of American fiction

Second only, maybe, to The Scarlet Letter

Can you elaborate?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

Can you elaborate?

They are both books that seem be taught by public schools (at least in my experience) as an Easter Egg hunt for "symbols" that are meant to be concrete and inarguable

It reinforces the most pedestrian sort of reading, an author-centric riddle box that needs to be "correctly" "solved"

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

explain why

I mean in general, I don't get why dinguses think a subjective reading is wholly voluntary. Like they seem to think you can go "so I can say War and Peace is about migratory penguins and you can't say I am wrong" :smug:

Subjectivity is not voluntary, subjectivity is inherent. A book can have infinite meanings to the reader as subject, but the reader is not reading subjectively if they are just tossing interpretations they don't believe in for the sake of it.

I mean, at some level I do envy the ability for a barely literature manchild to stumble upon the last half century of critical thought and think "heh, idiots, if the book can have infinite readings than I can just say whatever I want."

Like, do you really think this is not something critics realized?

:thejoke:

Questioning your ability to interpet texts here, Mel.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OscarDiggs posted:

I think, if I am understanding the point, that yeah, sure. If you read At the Mountains of Madness as a happy book, congrats; more happiness in the world for you. You might have been drunk off your tits or hallucinating stuff up as you were reading it, or you may have been at your most perceptive and cogent, picking up on things no one else ever has. You can read At the Mountains of Madness in such a way because you are an autonomous human who has had your own lived experiences. And those expereinces are the lens through which you interpret the stuff in the book.

So, just as someone with schizophrenia might interpret something on the radio as a sign from God to start the harvest, you can read At the Mountains of Madness as a happy book. Because the life you have experienced thus far up to that point has led you to interpret it as such. And indeed, in 20 years time you may re-read it and with the additional 20 years of lived experience you have gained re-think and say "Actually, At the Mountains of Madness is about migratory Penguins!" and there is nothing inherently wrong with that. And 10 years ago you may have read it and thought "I am so sick of these allegorical books about wheat farming during the Civil War."

But people may be skeptical of your reading, and may ask you to back it up with an argument why you think that is the case. Which is why Mel could say your interpretation of At the Mountains of Madness as a happy book because it reminded you of a trip you took once is a weak one.

I think so anyway.

Missed this in my response to Mel.

I mean, yes this is completely the point I was trying to make, using the literary device known as Irony. So I'm glad you got it, even though you think I'm a dunce.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Seldom Posts posted:

Missed this in my response to Mel.

I mean, yes this is completely the point I was trying to make, using the literary device known as Irony. So I'm glad you got it, even though you think I'm a dunce.

Sorry!

If it's any consolation I wasn't sure if I was right or not until you said so, so it's definetly me who's the dunce.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Irony doesn't work when its indistinguishable from sincerity

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They are both books that seem be taught by public schools (at least in my experience) as an Easter Egg hunt for "symbols" that are meant to be concrete and inarguable

It reinforces the most pedestrian sort of reading, an author-centric riddle box that needs to be "correctly" "solved"

I like hearing others' interpretations of the various pieces of symbolism. I think the various instances of symbolism can be debated, but that the novel is fairly clearly and objectively an allegory. He uses the boys to explain what he experienced in the war.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OscarDiggs posted:

Sorry!

If it's any consolation I wasn't sure if I was right or not until you said so, so it's definetly me who's the dunce.

No you're cool.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I havent read Lincoln in the Bardo yet but I read a short story by George Saunders called escape from spider head and it owns.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

in my reading Hamlet's dad's ghost is actually a hologram projected by space aliens and Yorick's skull is that of the starchild, therefore Shakespeare is arguing ancient aliens are real, prove me wrong!!

I have known someone who was an obstinate believer in "objective readings" and would say dumb poo poo like this to prove that subjectivity is wrong or w/e, and they were an English major :/ :/

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

I have known someone who was an obstinate believer in "objective readings" and would say dumb poo poo like this to prove that subjectivity is wrong or w/e, and they were an English major :/ :/

There is a sort of person who desperately wants there to be a right answer to art and for them to be smarter than others for knowing it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

my bony fealty posted:

in my reading Hamlet's dad's ghost is actually a hologram projected by space aliens and Yorick's skull is that of the starchild, therefore Shakespeare is arguing ancient aliens are real, prove me wrong!!

Maybe his brain was poisoned by bad undergrad classes. No reading of The Tempest was too contrived or masturbatory for my sophomore Shakespeare class to turn into an hour-long tangent.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

I dont take poo poo that far. I like to attribute various things to other things since my mind works through symbols and metaphors. I guess there really is no objectivity. I thought golding said some poo poo that he wrote lotf about his war time was where I was thinking "objectively". Hmm. im objectively gay.

Edit golding was just a bit of a oval office it seems.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 16, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

vandalism posted:

I guess there really is no objectivity.

get that man a cigar

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A professor I had claimed that the methods of New Criticism allowed for there to be objective readings of texts. The class was a very complicated game of students pooling their information about what his sources for interpretations were so we could write our essays with the exact same interpretation, otherwise we'd fail. A guy who was a physics major was actually the best at guessing his exact views, so got the highest grade.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That professor owns.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He was pretty intense. He has this quote from Richard Rorty emblazoned on his website, and was relentlessly critical of the other professors in the Department (he didn't have to worry about them hating him cause he had tenure):

" I think that the English departments have made it possible to have a career teaching English without caring much about literature or knowing much about literature but just producing rather trite, formulaic, politicized readings of this or that text. This makes it an easy target. There's a formulaic leftist rhetoric that's been developed in the wake of Foucault, which permits you to exercise hermeneutics of suspicion on anything from the phonebook to Proust. It's an obviously easy way to write books and articles, and it produces work of very low intellectual quality. That makes this kind of thing an easy target from the outside. It permits people like Roger Kimball and D'Souza to say these people aren't really scholars, which is true."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Ccs posted:

He was pretty intense. He has this quote from Richard Rorty emblazoned on his website, and was relentlessly critical of the other professors in the Department (he didn't have to worry about them hating him cause he had tenure):

" I think that the English departments have made it possible to have a career teaching English without caring much about literature or knowing much about literature but just producing rather trite, formulaic, politicized readings of this or that text. This makes it an easy target. There's a formulaic leftist rhetoric that's been developed in the wake of Foucault, which permits you to exercise hermeneutics of suspicion on anything from the phonebook to Proust. It's an obviously easy way to write books and articles, and it produces work of very low intellectual quality. That makes this kind of thing an easy target from the outside. It permits people like Roger Kimball and D'Souza to say these people aren't really scholars, which is true."

So is this guy a rare non left literature professor? Is he critical of this... hermeneutic? I'm kinda lost here.