Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

They probably do double fry but if you mistime the first fry then let them sit in a strainer for hours theyre probably going to loving suck no matter what you do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also its entirely possible to do a single fry but you have to cook them well done and you also need a method of immediately wicking off the grease

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Control Volume posted:

Also its entirely possible to do a single fry but you have to cook them well done and you also need a method of immediately wicking off the grease

my dude that literally does not work lol

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
You can make good single-fried potatoes, but they're not going to be the same type of fries as double-fried, the texture changes during the starch retrogradation period and there's no way to fake that. The actual chemical and physical structure of the potato change.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The only good single-fry method I've found is to start them in cold oil and bring up to a fry for a few minutes. The only downside is if you don't make enough :saddowns:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You can make good single-fried potatoes, but they're not going to be the same type of fries as double-fried, the texture changes during the starch retrogradation period and there's no way to fake that. The actual chemical and physical structure of the potato change.

Yeah theyre more like the halfway point between fries and chips, really

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I had a beautiful burg today with the most lovely fried egg on it. Didn’t come with fries though, which is a crime. Didn’t take any photos cause it was a kinda dark bar.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Couldn't avoid Burgin in Vanuatu this week because I am weak

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

That looks incredible.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

iajanus posted:

How much did that run you? Are there many cows in Vanuatu?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fenrir posted:

That looks incredible.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hi! Don't know if maybe I closed that by accident, mea culpa.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Brawnfire posted:

np

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How much did that run you? Are there many cows in Vanuatu?

About 1300 vatu, which is about $15 AUD. Beef is fairly plentiful on the main island, and they do pretty awesome steaks and burgers there. Great little getaway from our place that takes less time to get to then half the places in our country and is way cheaper.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Brawnfire posted:

Another national nightmare over now that the thread is open again.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Another national nightmare over now that the thread is open again.

I couldn't believe the outpouring of concern from towns across the US

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

I couldn't believe the outpouring of concern from towns across the US

I draped my monitor in a black blanket to show my respect.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I was searching GWS for Burger Thread III and was kinda sad that I didn't find it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Went to Short Order on Don's recommendation.

A couple of times in the past fortnight

Pretty great though they need to melt the cheese more.

Being that close to the main city station is unfair.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hoodburger are further away. Well it depends if you mean Perth underground or Wellington st. It's closer to Wellington st.

Also they melt the cheese well.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah went to them too, no good pics though. And they are better, just further.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don’t like the use steam to melt cheese method so that cheese and burg look beautiful to me. Let the cheese melt as the burger finishes cooking and let it be. Only thing I’d do is to have one slice per patty

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gatts posted:

I don’t like the use steam to melt cheese method so that cheese and burg look beautiful to me. Let the cheese melt as the burger finishes cooking and let it be. Only thing I’d do is to have one slice per patty

I can tell just looking at that burger though there won't be enough heat left in those thin patties to melt that much cheese. If you don't like the steam method I suggest just putting the cheese on while it cooks for the last roughly 30 seconds. If you are using a grill with a lid simply putting the lid on helps a lot too.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Casu Marzu posted:

Pretty sure they're not double fried. Double fried fries should not be a floppy soggy mess after 30 seconds in the bag.

Unless you're my mother. In which case, (this is going back to the early to mid 80s). The local fish and chip shop would pre-fry their chips and set them in huge pile, finishing to order. But no, mum asked for an order of cold chips (cheaper) then put them in a hot oven in a goddamned casserole dish, week after week so they would turn 1. gluey, 2. still soft on the outside, 3. drat near inedible. Every drat week on a Friday.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

BastardAus posted:

Unless you're my mother. In which case, (this is going back to the early to mid 80s). The local fish and chip shop would pre-fry their chips and set them in huge pile, finishing to order. But no, mum asked for an order of cold chips (cheaper) then put them in a hot oven in a goddamned casserole dish, week after week so they would turn 1. gluey, 2. still soft on the outside, 3. drat near inedible. Every drat week on a Friday.

Matricide is underrated

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BastardAus posted:

iajanus posted:

Matricide is underrated

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

BastardAus posted:

thats so hosed mate i am sorry

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The worst part about this story, is that in 1980s/early 90s australia, $3-4 would get you enough chips to choke a pelican to death. There was literally no reason to ever do this.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

The worst part about this story, is that in 1980s/early 90s australia, $3-4 would get you enough chips to choke a pelican to death. There was literally no reason to ever do this.

Hell it still will, minimum chips is still more than one person should eat usually.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

Hell it still will, minimum chips is still more than one person should eat usually.

It's also a decent beer

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Got to Hoodburger this week. And yeah probably best in Perth.

Was not expecting the chicken tenders to be that big or I'd have just ordered one, Christ.

iajanus posted:

It's also a decent beer

Yeah it isn't bad.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

Got to Hoodburger this week. And yeah probably best in Perth.

Was not expecting the chicken tenders to be that big or I'd have just ordered one, Christ.

Yeah it isn't bad.

:allears:

It's just such a good burger, I can't help but get a bit emotional. I think about how long we've had to put up with overcooked pub burgers or overpriced waygu chefburgers in this city, and now we actually have a choice of decent burgs, and reasonably priced too. Wanna try Big Rigs in Fremantle next.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the littlest prince posted:

Smashburg:
1. Put a pan on the stove, med-high to high heat (mine has the option of a second burner ring on the outside, I don’t use it)
2. Take some meat, make two lumps about the size of a golf ball. Smash them with a wet spatula on a cutting board. They should be about five inches wide maybe? Remember they will shrink a lot. If they look like they might fall apart when you pick them up then you have it right
3. Smear a tiny amount of mayo on both halves of a bun, this will keep the bun dry when you put the burg on it later. If it’s a thick bun, smash it a bit before adding mayo
4. Put the burgs in the pan when it’s hot
5. Wait about 2-3 minutes, then flip and put a slice of cheese on one. I tear off the corners and put it on the other burg so not too much spills into the pan but some will anyway, most of the time
6. Put the bun in a toaster right before/after flipping
7. Wait another 2 and then put them on the bun
8. I like to let it sit for a few minutes at this point to make it hold together a little better, but it’s not a big deal and you can eat it immediately

Result:

Just made these with greek seasoning and provolone, bumping so this wonderful page 2 burg can be the every page burg

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
https://i.imgur.com/yygaQte.mp4

It's probably more of a meatloaf now but whatever

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

So how fast would I have to finish it in order to get a free t-shirt?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gamerofthegame posted:

10/10 on the pro cheese melt

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I love this so much.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah hell, two eggs for probably 25 lbs of beef I'll give it a pass for not being meatloaf.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Epic meal time ain't got poo poo on that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like how he dices while smiling at the camera