Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Takoluka posted:

So the GO Plus is a bracelet that lights up when a Pokémon or PokéStop is nearby in GO. When you press the button, it will try to catch the Pokémon or spin the PokéStop and collect items from it, without the need to pull out your phone, wake it up, and do it manually.

The Pokéball Plus can be used as a GO Plus.

How’s it work without the app open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm playing Metroid Prime, just got the ice beam and got told to find eleven more artifacts. How long does that take? I'm doing a 'normal' sequential run.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Renoistic posted:

I'm playing Metroid Prime, just got the ice beam and got told to find eleven more artifacts. How long does that take? I'm doing a 'normal' sequential run.

It's average length quest, probably a couple hours max. The 2nd game has a similar quest that is actual hell, but the one in this game is not bad

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Spellman posted:

It's average length quest, probably a couple hours max. The 2nd game has a similar quest that is actual hell, but the one in this game is not bad

Cool, thanks. I'm not overly fond of 'hey let's backtrack through every area again and comb it for easily missable stuff' quests. How do 2 and 3 compare to the original?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Some are hidden really good. If you get down to needing one or two, just google it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Renoistic posted:

To add on you'll be setup to do a lot of regular items finding while hunting the mcguffins down. Plus you got a lot of other game to do before you can reach all 12 anyway.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So my it's my brother in laws birthday and his sister forgot to get him a gift and I thought maybe I can get him something for his Switch.

The guy has a huge library on Steam and is a video game programmer himself, so I'm thinking a game that's less than 30 or so and game developers themselves can appreciate. He's color-blind though so... nothing where that can affect it (he had issues with the Witness for example).

Any ideas?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

For Black Friday deals, keep an eye out for discounted gift cards. 20% off is not uncommon and can be used to effectively get a discount on sale-less new release first party games.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So my it's my brother in laws birthday and his sister forgot to get him a gift and I thought maybe I can get him something for his Switch.

The guy has a huge library on Steam and is a video game programmer himself, so I'm thinking a game that's less than 30 or so and game developers themselves can appreciate. He's color-blind though so... nothing where that can affect it (he had issues with the Witness for example).

Any ideas?

He'd probably enjoy an eshop card. If he's got a giant steam library, he might prefer indie releases to big box games.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Any ideas?

Hollow Knight

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Hollow Knight

I would've but he's done it on Steam. I know he really liked the Messenger and Celeste both. As well as Yoku's. He also got Badnorth so he's into testing smaller newer things.

I haven't tried them but I've thought between Marble it up, Mr. Tako, or Hidden Folk, which I've struck me as the best indie games recently released. Also I don't think he has Dead Cells on Steam (as it's on his Wishlist) so there's that. Though he may have tried it some other way.

We still can't gift through the Switch store though huh?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Dead Cells did get a physical release, so there is indeed that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

We still can't gift through the Switch store though huh?

No 😭

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

LethalGeek posted:

To add on you'll be setup to do a lot of regular items finding while hunting the mcguffins down. Plus you got a lot of other game to do before you can reach all 12 anyway.

Yeah, turns out that the latest four artifacts I've tried to reach are impossible (or very difficult) to find without certain upgrades. Really annoying! Why give me hints to eight or so artifacts when I can't even reach them because I don't have the right color on my gun? It's really annoying and a waste of my time. I'll just go for all the upgrades for now instead.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah, there are a lot of great digital indie releases I COULD recommend, but there's not really much point in the context of giving a gift...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Might be a stretch, but maybe get him a Labo?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Uh, Cave Story got a physical Switch release, and that game has a lot of sentimental value to big indie fans/devs, so maybe he would enjoy that?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Might be a stretch, but maybe get him a Labo?

Genuinely would but it's not in the budget. I think he'd be pretty into it though.

I think we're going with Dead Cells. If we can't find it at the store on the way we'll just pick up a gift card with that being the intent.

Thanks for the rushed decision!

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Genuinely would but it's not in the budget. I think he'd be pretty into it though.

I think we're going with Dead Cells. If we can't find it at the store on the way we'll just pick up a gift card with that being the intent.

Thanks for the rushed decision!

Best Buy might still have it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Silver Snail posted:

Best Buy might still have it.

Good intentions but there's no Best buy where I live. We made a nice card. If I have to grab his system and pay for it that way it's fine.

I suggested labo and my partner just started on in me how we're not paying that much for cardboard no matter how much she liked her brother.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You can often just straight up buy a download code from GameStop's website

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Heath posted:

You can often just straight up buy a download code from GameStop's website

That wouldn't work from Europe would it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I can't believe I'm seriously considering trading in my perfectly good Switch to EB and dropping two bills to get the Eevachu edition.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Pokeball Plus auto spins Pokestops which is a game changer.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Same for Amazon. Would that work?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I noticed Dark Souls got an update. Anyone have patch notes? Did it fix the audio issues?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kirios posted:

The Pokeball Plus auto spins Pokestops which is a game changer.

Like no need to interact? I’m about to go on a drive with my kid who always asks for my phone for pokemon (and I always say no). I am thinking of just handing him the ball.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I noticed Dark Souls got an update. Anyone have patch notes? Did it fix the audio issues?

https://www.destructoid.com/dark-souls-switch-gets-a-patch-that-addresses-myriad-online-play-problems-531365.phtml

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Correct, used it all day yesterday. You push to try to catch Pokemon but stops are 100% automatic.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm playing Metroid Prime and have wasted 40 missiles trying to knock down a stalactite in the frost cave. Normally I get it right the first time but I think the game might hate me.

Edit: turns out the solution was to turn off free aim.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 17, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Technically you could make a US account and download it that way, but Amazon is your best bet.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feenix posted:

Like no need to interact? I’m about to go on a drive with my kid who always asks for my phone for pokemon (and I always say no). I am thinking of just handing him the ball.

Pretty sure you can drive and use the Pokeball Plus at the same time, just hold it in one hand and squeeze the top when it vibrates.

Not that you should.

But if you did, hypothetically, you could catch as many as 25 mons on the way to and from your local grocery store that's only a few miles away.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

asecondduck posted:

Pretty sure you can drive and use the Pokeball Plus at the same time, just hold it in one hand and squeeze the top when it vibrates.

Not that you should.

But if you did, hypothetically, you could catch as many as 25 mons on the way to and from your local grocery store that's only a few miles away.

My kid in the car seat would be operating the ball. I would never.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Feenix posted:

This is a bunk compromise and your kid is gonna think so too.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Girlfriend played Pokémon all night. Woke up and played some more in bed this morning. She came out while I was playing BFV to tell me I can buy her a Switch for Christmas if I want.

Probably have to given Animal Crossing next year.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Renoistic posted:

I'm playing Metroid Prime and have wasted 40 missiles trying to knock down a stalactite in the frost cave. Normally I get it right the first time but I think the game might hate me.

Edit: turns out the solution was to turn off free aim.

Yeah, free aim being added to Prime 1 and 2 was both a boon and a curse. Prime 1 especially really depended on the lock on for certain aimed shots. Those stalactites are definitely the worst of it though, and free aim is super great for some of the bosses.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mega64 posted:

How difficult would it be to strap a JoyCon to your penis/a strap-on and catch a Pokemon that way?

e: Asking for a friend

wii sports tennis is WAY better for this

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kirios posted:

Correct, used it all day yesterday. You push to try to catch Pokemon but stops are 100% automatic.

Do you know, if I auto swiped a stop but otherwise didn't interact with any stops that day would it count towards my streak?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Feenix posted:

Come on man be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spiffster posted:

That song means you totally hosed up... or succeeded depending on your view.

No mercy/Genocide is your path to Megalovania

Speaking of that I finally got through that fight but reset after without finishing the job. Not completing that crap. Just wanted to say I got through one of the hardest fights they can throw at you.

Unfamiliar is bad to most people and these are the same people that clamor for something new at the same time that get riled up when a company delivers

Lol taking a feature out without replacing it with anything is not something new. Nor does something new automatically make it good. That’s really silly