Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zerilan posted:

Just watched the TTG movie. Was a lot better than I expected it to be. Arnett was just perfect as Deadpool Slade.

I watched it today too. Never had a movie make me laughcry before.

Note: I am week to emotional manipulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watching the first episode of Hilda, I feel like the subtext is very anti-immigrant?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

asecondduck posted:

Caught up with Voltron, started the Dragon Prince.

I'm actually impressed at how CGI animation has developed to the point that it can be a reasonably good imitation of, well, an ATLA style "anime", especially in the action sequences. I'm way less impressed by the choice to only animate key frames during dialog scenes. The lack of fluidity reminds me more of early Archer more than anything else.

Also the intro was such a confusing loving infodump that I'm not sure what's going on besides elves and humans hate each other and there was a dragon but it's dead now. But I get the impression that's all I really need to know?

The elves and the humans used to live as one kingdom. Humans were the only people in that kingdom who had no "natural" magical qualities, but they co-existed alongside the rest. All of them practised magic, and they drew their magic from various natural sources like the sun and the tides, etc. Then a human wizard figured out how to draw magic from the trapped souls of magical beings, which is an obvious existential threat to magical beings who don't want to be killed and necromantically enslaved as energy sources.

Like, theoretically you can just generate dark magic energy by killing magic butterflies to cast small spells, but any elf or dragon or unicorn who extrapolates that logically is going to feel pretty nervous. So, the humans' use of this magic starts a civil war and fractures the kingdom in two. The humans "win" enough to defend their newfound border, and years later (just before the start of the show) kill the king of the storm dragons, who is the de facto leader of the magical beings' kingdom, using dark magic. This is seen as an unforgivable crime by the elves.

Now the two sides are locked in an intractable war against each other - the humans feel that the elves want to stop them from establishing parity with the elves' natural advantages, and the elves feel that the humans are genocidal ghouls who see magical creatures as spell fuel.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Watching the first episode of Hilda, I feel like the subtext is very anti-immigrant?

I'd say if you're worried about it going that direction, the second episode stomps those fears out.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I will never not be entertained by Hawkmoth's ridiculous monologues.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Holyshit that lineup of animators in that netflix thing is stellar.

Can't wait to see what they produce

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The new She-Ra came out today. If someone wants to make a She-Ra thread, could you call it She-Ra: You say princess like it's a bad thing.?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SardonicTyrant posted:

The new She-Ra came out today. If someone wants to make a She-Ra thread, could you call it She-Ra: You say princess like it's a bad thing.?

She-Ra be good and I would not mind it getting it's own thread

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Gave a couple episodes a watch, seems great for a kids show but feel it's missing that something that makes Voltron or Ducktales fun to me as an adult too.

Might be because of how nonthreatening and weak the evil horde felt?

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 14, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My thoughts on She-Ra, as someone for whom the original cartoon was a little before their time:

The relationship dynamic between Adora, Catra, and Shadow Weaver was really interesting and always kept me wanting to see more of it. I'll throw Scorpia in there too, she's awesome and has a cool story. Everything else about the show was... okay. The animation didn't blow me away, the art style didn't really hook me, and it was never really laugh-out-loud funny. As far as the drama regarding the war for the fate of the world, I think it really would have benefited from showing the perspective of regular people on both sides of the conflict. We briefly see some villagers outside the clutches of the Horde in the first episode, but we don't really learn much about them aside from "they're peaceful and they like to party" and we don't get to know any of them individually. Everyone on the Rebellion side who gets any characterization at all is either a literal princess or is of high enough station that they regularly hobnob with royalty. On the Horde side, everyone we meet who isn't an anonymous mook who gets beaten up by the protagonists is a high-ranking officer or officer-in-training. We have no idea what life is like for commoners under Hordak's rule. I think giving us some "personal" stakes in the welfare of the common people would have really made the world feel more alive and give the conflict more meaning beyond what happens to the royalty of the world.

Non-spoiler: It has some very bright spots but there's a lot of less-well-done stuff between them. Maybe it's just because I rewatched Avatar The Last Airbender less than two months ago but it feels like She-Ra really invites a lot of comparisons with ATLA, and She-Ra comes up short in almost every way.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 15, 2018

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I made the mistake of looking at YouTube comments about the new She-Ra. Evidently the neckbeards have decided this children's cartoon is a crucial battle in their war against the SJWs.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm more or less enjoying it so far but I'm in the middle and I liked the beginning a lot more than the eps I'm currently on; towards the middle it's started feeling very mission-of-the-week with them meeting some quirky caricaturish characters for one-off adventures, which doesn't appeal to me so much.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Argue posted:

I'm more or less enjoying it so far but I'm in the middle and I liked the beginning a lot more than the eps I'm currently on; towards the middle it's started feeling very mission-of-the-week with them meeting some quirky caricaturish characters for one-off adventures, which doesn't appeal to me so much.

This is the low point of the season, and once they get the character introductions out of the way, it improves from there. I had the same feeling.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kind of reminds me of the failed thunder cats reboot, they set up some interesting stuff but also didn't really do anything with it for most of the season.

Also from another thread cause it's spot on:

maltesh posted:

the Great Rebellion and the Evil Horde feel a lot more like rival high school sports teams than factions warring for the fate of the planet

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Adora/Catra/Shadow Weaver dynamic was the high point of the season. It really feels like an abusive family, with Catra being the child SW didn't want.

Oh, and Bow. Bow knows exactly what sort of show he's in, and he loves it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
She-Ra is definitely a slower burn. The heavier/deeper stuff doesn't come in until post-Princess Prom but they still had to do those mission-of-the-week episodes to set the table for that.

It was a good start, a B/B+ show. Needs improvement in some areas but still a good watch.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Adora/Catra/Shadow Weaver dynamic was the high point of the season. It really feels like an abusive family, with Catra being the child SW didn't want.

Oh, and Bow. Bow knows exactly what sort of show he's in, and he loves it.

For real, it's a really interesting dynamic where Adora was the favourite child and Catra is straight up told that her mother only keeps her around as a toy for Adora, and if Adora lost interest in her, her only parental figure would just murder her. Meanwhile, Shadow Weaver feels free to torture and intimidate Catra. The scene where they fight straight up has Catra saying that Shadow Weaver's abuse "taught her how to dodge punches". It gets crazy dark, honestly, but it's also a nuanced portrayal.

I also like the subversion of the "face turn" episode near the end of the season. Two old friends, now enemies, are trapped in a magical labyrinth together and forced to work together while reliving memories from their past...and it just clarifies to Catra that she has every reason to be pissed at Adora and that she needs to dive further into villainy. None of what happened to them as children was Adora's fault, of course, but Catra is very justifiably traumatised into thinking that Adora even being present in her life guarantees that she's going to be treated as less than human, because it's been hammered into her psyche all her life that she's only allowed to live because Adora likes her.

Arguably as soon as Catra knew that - and she found it out at a very young age - their friendship could never be even or "real" again. Of course she has sublimated aggression towards Adora - Adora has had the power of life and death over her for her entire life up to now, when she finally sees a chance to free herself from Shadow Weaver and forge her own path.

Definitely the most interesting thing in the season. I really enjoyed it on the whole and am eager for more.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I am finding that the show seems written for a younger audience than some other kiddult/family shows on TV, but that's okay! It's a good "my first serial adventure show" for lil kids, with lots of fun/diverse character designs for them to connect with. I'm excited for my babby nieces to be old enough to enjoy it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

I am finding that the show seems written for a younger audience than some other kiddult/family shows on TV, but that's okay! It's a good "my first serial adventure show" for lil kids, with lots of fun/diverse character designs for them to connect with. I'm excited for my babby nieces to be old enough to enjoy it.

Reading that blurb makes me sad that Amethyst, Princess of Gem World never really took off beyond its one little mini series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I definitely feel like Amethyst was before its time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On She-Ra Catra also felt like she was in Adora's shadow her whole life. And if she left the Horde and went with Adora to the Rebellion, she felt for certain that Adora as She-Ra would cast an even bigger shadow over her.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's part of my brain left from my days as a kid watching Toonami that gets tripped up every time I see Catra spelled without a Q.

Wasn't the original Masters of the Universe stuff remarkable for managing to promote an unhealthy body image to both boys and girls?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just recall it for being really camp.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The original Masters of the Universe was pretty bad but in a really entertaining way that's aged surprisingly well. I actually highly recommend checking it out.

EDIT: LOL, watching some clips and I'm just now realizing that Venture Bros probably based a lot of The Monarch's voice and delivery on Skeletor.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 16, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, He-Man and especially She-Ra are rare shows that still hold up as so bad it's good. The voices are hilarious, the plots are inane, and She-Ra is so ludicrously powerful that you often get the sense she's just toying with her enemies for fun.

Like, half the episodes follow the sequence, "the Horde has a new superweapon!". She-Ra then picks up the nearest gigantic object e.g. mountain, battleship, entire lakebed, and throws it at the new superweapon, effortlessly destroying it. She has to throw things all the time because Standards & Practises were very rigidly against her actually punching people or using her magic sword.

Also, there are some gorgeous painted backgrounds in She-Ra. The Fright Zone in the old show actually probably looks better than it does in the new one.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Is it me or are the characters inconsistently scaled in nü She-Ra? There's some scenes in which supposed giantess She-Ra only has like half a head of height on Glimmer

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

vape queen posted:

Is it me or are the characters inconsistently scaled in nü She-Ra? There's some scenes in which supposed giantess She-Ra only has like half a head of height on Glimmer

I thought I noticed this a couple of times, but when I went back and checked it was just a perspective thing where She-Ra was standing closer to the "camera" than Glimmer. I don't think it was entirely 100% consistent, but maybe not to the extent of "they're barely different in height when she's supposed to be eight feet tall". I could have missed something, though!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Watching She-Ra and I am actually ok with the mission of the week style. I also like the washuu like character in this series.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Android Blues posted:

For real, it's a really interesting dynamic where Adora was the favourite child and Catra is straight up told that her mother only keeps her around as a toy for Adora, and if Adora lost interest in her, her only parental figure would just murder her. Meanwhile, Shadow Weaver feels free to torture and intimidate Catra. The scene where they fight straight up has Catra saying that Shadow Weaver's abuse "taught her how to dodge punches". It gets crazy dark, honestly, but it's also a nuanced portrayal.

I also like the subversion of the "face turn" episode near the end of the season. Two old friends, now enemies, are trapped in a magical labyrinth together and forced to work together while reliving memories from their past...and it just clarifies to Catra that she has every reason to be pissed at Adora and that she needs to dive further into villainy. None of what happened to them as children was Adora's fault, of course, but Catra is very justifiably traumatised into thinking that Adora even being present in her life guarantees that she's going to be treated as less than human, because it's been hammered into her psyche all her life that she's only allowed to live because Adora likes her.

Arguably as soon as Catra knew that - and she found it out at a very young age - their friendship could never be even or "real" again. Of course she has sublimated aggression towards Adora - Adora has had the power of life and death over her for her entire life up to now, when she finally sees a chance to free herself from Shadow Weaver and forge her own path.

Definitely the most interesting thing in the season. I really enjoyed it on the whole and am eager for more.

Yea I'm a sucker for the classic 'friends turned enemies forced to survive together' trope but having it end with 'no, actually gently caress you, you're holding me back and now that you're gone I can be the queen bitch of evil mountain so have fun being a rainbow princess or whatever.' was a really good move. They did it well with a fake out resolution and actually gave Catra solid feeling reason to feel that way even if it comes from a place of trauma and hate. The general theme of She-Ra's villains being mostly broken, angry, people is a good one, and Catra isn't even wrong when she does poo poo like sell Entrapa on the horde with 'those princesses only like princesses who are like them, we may be scumbags here but at least you can be yourself'. The Horde is never shown as 'good' but I think if the next season doesn't acknowledge that yea diversity aside the princesses are incredibly homogeneous when it comes to worldview it's gonna be kinda a waste. We've had our season 1 'gotta get the band together' story and that was fun but after that subplot we kinda need to have a 'but also the bad guys aren't entirely wrong when they call us assholes too' bit.

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, He-Man and especially She-Ra are rare shows that still hold up as so bad it's good. The voices are hilarious, the plots are inane, and She-Ra is so ludicrously powerful that you often get the sense she's just toying with her enemies for fun.

Like, half the episodes follow the sequence, "the Horde has a new superweapon!". She-Ra then picks up the nearest gigantic object e.g. mountain, battleship, entire lakebed, and throws it at the new superweapon, effortlessly destroying it. She has to throw things all the time because Standards & Practises were very rigidly against her actually punching people or using her magic sword.

Also, there are some gorgeous painted backgrounds in She-Ra. The Fright Zone in the old show actually probably looks better than it does in the new one.
yea old He-Man and She-Ra still kinda own pretty hard. It's just pure, iconic, stupid 80's toy based kid show, I'd even rank it above GI Joe and Transforms when it comes to 'can you actually get drunk and marathon this one night and have a nice time'.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 17, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man a lot of people online are complaining and bitching about She-Ra for reasons I almost don't understand.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We watched the first two episodes last night of She-Ra, and it’s good.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
My main gripes are the animation quality but everything else is decent. Really th r complainants and nitpicking don't really bother me.

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 17, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man a lot of people online are complaining and bitching about She-Ra for reasons I almost don't understand.

People are holding hands so obviously it's propaganda.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
People starting to question their fascist upbringing is a big no-no.
Also there's a lot of environmentalist propaganda.
Not to mention the fact that the show implies that females could be powerful.

I liked the show quite a bit, but it's not hard to imagine how terrible people might hate it.
The end felt a bit convenient, though.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 17, 2018

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Mostly it’s just sexist weirdos getting mad that the creators aren’t designing the characters to suit their personal sexual tastes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I finally watched Hilda, and it owns. It might be the closest thing to a Bad Machinery TV series.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

readingatwork posted:

Mostly it’s just sexist weirdos getting mad that the creators aren’t designing the characters to suit their personal sexual tastes.

it's mainly this yea. Like you can critique the general art style if you're not a fan but most is just 'I DON'T WANNA JERK IT TO SCORPIA ANY MORE THIS IS A BETRAYAL'

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, it's the latest shibboleth for "I am getting mad at the SJWs!". I'm betting the vast majority of people who hate the new show for what it's done to the characters weren't exactly giant fans of an incredibly camp 80s kids' show featuring princesses, pegasi, and a rainbow elf called Loo-Kee that ran for 2 years before being cancelled. They're just looking for the next talking point that will allow them to rant about social justice gone mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The show was good. I agree with everyone else that the Adora/Catra relationship was the best part and Catra was my favorite character easily.

Conspiracy theory time: I noticed that when Lighthope was showing Adora all the princesses one of them was orange and had a cat tail. That might be something.

Hopefully a season 2 would clue us in on where exactly Shadow Weaver found Adora and Catra and why she treated them like she did.