Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BioMe posted:

Huh, yeah, that's true. He's not concerned about paychecks or implementation problems.

I wonder what his secret is :thunk:

Yeah he doesn't care about money or paychecks.

It's why he made sure his first wife got nothing due to a pre-nup when he dumped her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

orcinus posted:

They’re 2170s if from Model 3 - 21 mm radius x 70 mm.
So thinner than a D, but thicker than a vape pen battery.

If they’re from an S or X it’s an 18650 (18 x 65mm), i.e. exactly what you’d find in a vape pen.

21700. Tesla decided to break the naming convention because of course they did. Don't buy into their bullshit.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

orcinus posted:

They’re 2170s if from Model 3 - 21 mm radius x 70 mm.
So thinner than a D, but thicker than a vape pen battery.

If they’re from an S or X it’s an 18650 (18 x 65mm), i.e. exactly what you’d find in a vape pen.

I'm actually surprised they aren't using AAA batteries, given the reliability those cars have been displaying.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

MisterOblivious posted:

21700. Tesla decided to break the naming convention because of course they did. Don't buy into their bullshit.

No one else uses that size, so they can call it whatever they want, really.
Can be called PoopTube TM as far as i'm concerned.

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

orcinus posted:

No one else uses that size, so they can call it whatever they want, really.
Can be called PoopTube TM as far as i'm concerned.

poop tube is something climbers use when doing big walls, it's a length of PVC pipe you can unscrew on one end and take a dump into

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know someone who got busted for white collar crime, still does stock market stuff. Basically he does exactly that, buy a stock, let it go up a bit, and sell it all off. She made 63k off of that.

What I'm saying is a lot of the wealthy don't sit on their stock, they buy it and likely sell it within days.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Boner Pill Connoisseur posted:

poop tube is something climbers use when doing big walls, it's a length of PVC pipe you can unscrew on one end and take a dump into

Perfect.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1063865779156729857

Delightfully counter-intuitive.
To Elon. To everyone else it was obvious.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Meenacreates/status/1063661594620628992?s=20

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

orcinus posted:

Perfect.

Jesus christ you loving idiot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

you're just like nikola tesla, a sexually repressed weirdo with terrible unworkable ideas

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Btw,

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

you're just like nikola tesla, a sexually repressed weirdo with terrible unworkable ideas

tbf he does seem to require a lab in order to impregnate a woman

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

His ideas were unworkable in the sense that democracy is unworkable.
Fake edit: Unworkable because it'd just be so hard for the ruling class, ya know?
Fake edit 2: Look, they just desire complete control over the lives of everyone who can't personally fund an invasion/occupation force, and that's just the way it is.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Who are these people so desperate to worship someone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tubgoat posted:

His ideas were unworkable in the sense that democracy is unworkable.
Fake edit: Unworkable because it'd just be so hard for the ruling class, ya know?
Fake edit 2: Look, they just desire complete control over the lives of everyone who can't personally fund an invasion/occupation force, and that's just the way it is.

what the hell are you even talking about?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What is he referring to as "counter-intuitive" about the BFR in the first place?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

what the hell are you even talking about?

I was wondering the same.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Goodpancakes posted:

Funny you say that, whenever I browse through the front page of Reddit these days there always seems to be some pathetic, swooning story to do with Musk that present there with tons of upvotes. This one is one of the most recent and particularly embarrassing, the whole 'Bioweapon Defense Mode' line sounds like something somebody would make up to make fun of the sort of puffed up terminology that Musk would label his basic, barely working crap.

Anyway usually I just write this off as Reddit being Reddit, but I've actually been wondering recently if there is some astroturfing nonsense going on in Tesla or SpaceX's marketing departments to shore up PR like this on open user sites like Reddit or Twitter since they seem to have lost so much face recently that I wouldn't put it past them.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

God is dead op

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

khwarezm posted:

Funny you say that, whenever I browse through the front page of Reddit these days there always seems to be some pathetic, swooning story to do with Musk that present there with tons of upvotes. This one is one of the most recent and particularly embarrassing, the whole 'Bioweapon Defense Mode' line sounds like something somebody would make up to make fun of the sort of puffed up terminology that Musk would label his basic, barely working crap.

Anyway usually I just write this off as Reddit being Reddit, but I've actually been wondering recently if there is some astroturfing nonsense going on in Tesla or SpaceX's marketing departments to shore up PR like this on open user sites like Reddit or Twitter since they seem to have lost so much face recently that I wouldn't put it past them.

he's been buying media adoration for years now there's no way reddit astroturfing wasn't also part of that

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

khwarezm posted:

They frequently advertise for social media jobs to spread the word around twitter, Reddit and others. And of course a good amount of it is people who will do that on their own for free for their savior.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goodpancakes posted:

Do you see now why it took like ten thousand years for humanity to start shaking off religion?

Except we never really did, we just replaced gods with brands and cults of personality of politicians, actors and moguls of the industry.

Most people are forever going to be broken brained monkeys who need an idol to function.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PlugInFUD/status/1063910877018161152

Disruptive!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baloogan posted:

isn't that completely insane? i thought it was one big battery

Batteries are clusters of cells, which is what most people mean when they say battery :smug:

For some reason in grade 4 they were rigorous in drilling this distinction into us, that's why I remember

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you could even say they're a battery of cells

amazing

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
And you can even have a battery of N=1 cell!
Amaezing.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

poo poo, he didn't say he loves the car

call the private security

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Nikola Tesla was a brilliant visionary whose inventions were a threat to oligarchic hegemony, rather than a steadfast supporter thereof.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/letsrebel1/status/1063870325811625985

Quora is not completely lost to Church of Elon.
Almost completely, but not completely.

Yet.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Concerned Citizen posted:

they're lithium ion 18650 cells. you can find them in your laptop battery, too:

the advantage to tesla is that these things are insanely common, so it's vastly cheaper to just buy tons of these rather than try to roll their own solution.

Dumb question: is the pictured pack putting out 4.2 amps?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Nikola Tesla was a brilliant visionary whose inventions were a threat to oligarchic hegemony, rather than a steadfast supporter thereof.

tell us more about free energy broadcast

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dumb question: is the pictured pack putting out 4.2 amps?

No, that depends on the discharge rating, which is usually stated in multiples of the capacity (confusingly enough) as nC, e.g. 5C.
So if the battery from the photo were rated 5C, it would be rated for 5*4.2 amps.

But that also doesn't paint the whole picture, as there's burst discharge and continuous discharge, and the discharge rating changes based on temperature and charge left as well.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

tell us more about free energy broadcast
How much technology is plausible but not profitable? Wouldn't even be the craziest thing the ruling class is lying about.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you heard it here folks, the inverse square law is a lie. nothing but a blind pulled over our eyes by big science to keep energy companies in business

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

you heard it here folks, the inverse square law is a lie. nothing but a blind pulled over our eyes by big science to keep energy companies in business

Science is not running the show, it's doing tricks on the circuit to avoid another painful shock from its stylish slave necklace.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Nikola Tesla is the actual real life example of an eccentric who had tons of cool and awesome ideas and tons of dumb and impossible ideas but who actually did end up making important contributions to human society because of his unique personality and outlook, of course Musk and Tesla the car company is the pulsating mass of maggots and detritus wearing his skin and name trying to pretend like they are the same thing.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Now imagine if Musk was competent and had a genuine desire to improve the world and not just gently caress a fine goth broad until his victims spilled over the barricades.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

orcinus posted:

Perfect.

A rocket that doesn't go into controlled descent, but rather explodes before take off; delightfully counter intuitive!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Goodpancakes posted:

congradulations athiests ya replaced a hot peacenik rabbi from 2k years ago with elon musk and donald trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

congradulations athiests ya replaced a hot peacenik rabbi from 2k years ago with elon musk and donald trump