Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Captain Walker posted:

First-time Valkyria Chronicles player here (after buying the PC remaster, then the PS4 port, then the Switch port of the PS4 port). The wiki page has been expanded greatly since last time I looked, but I actually have a story question. No spoilers here, unless you consider "the main character is in charge of a military unit during fantasy WWII" a spoiler rather than the game's concept.

It's early in chapter 4 and Welkin has announced that he has a cunning plan for the upcoming operation. I now have the option to progress the story or view an optional cutscene titled "The Plan". Does this scene actually reveal the plan, and if I progress the story will I be able to go back and view it later? I actually want to continue blind and be surprised when Welkin's stratagem pays off all according to keikaku, but I'm concerned that not knowing how to execute said keikaku will make the mission much more difficult.

You can skip the side-cutscenes. They aren't essential and the mission will let you know what to do regardless. You'll always be able to view and review the cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

LawfulWaffle posted:

You can skip the side-cutscenes. They aren't essential and the mission will let you know what to do regardless. You'll always be able to view and review the cutscenes

Thanks dude. As it turns out the next required story scene revealed the plan anyway. It’s a good one!

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Any tips on Dead Cells? Just got it for the switch and it scratched that metroidvania itch perfectly.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Lucas Archer posted:

Any tips on Dead Cells? Just got it for the switch and it scratched that metroidvania itch perfectly.

My post from earlier in the thread:

Mayor McCheese posted:

I'll keep this as short as I can. There's a bunch of small tips but here's a few of the bigger ones, imo. Hopefully this helps!

Upgrades:
-Health Vials should be your dump option if you have no current goal in mind for unlocks.
-Enemies can drop blueprints. You must complete the level in order to receive them.
-Finishing blueprints will allow those weapons to start spawning in the world.
-Early game you should focus on unlocking blueprints before bothering with the Start with X suite.

Progress:
-As you play you will notice areas you cannot access. These require you to have unlocked Runes and require multiple playthroughs.
-The Major Runes are located at Promenade of the Condemned, Toxic Sewers (part of the prisoner quest), Ossuary, and Slumbering Sanctuary.
-You can use your right thumb-stick to pan the camera around to avoid traps or spot enemies.
-Don't stress the speedrun doors until you've gotten good at navigating the maps.

Combat:
-Play with the different weapons to get a playstyle that fits how you want to complete a run.
-Learn the timing on your dodges and its cooldown.
-Shield parrying only becomes stronger and a more viable option as you continue to unlock upgrades.
-Don't feel obligated to kill everything you see if you're overwhelmed.
-Ideally for bosses you will want to stack toxic, bleeding, and/or fire damage since there is a damage cap to how much burst you can inflict with your melee weapon.
-With the above in-mind, traps are very good at destroying bosses.
-Build your weapons around complimenting stats from other weapons. If you can set something on fire, roll for +damage to targets on fire & +oil streaks etc,.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
As I believe I said the last time you posted that, take particular note of the weapon synergies the last point talks about. A good fire-combo synergy will let you out-damage your own straight damage capabilities by a factor of up to ten. I've seen someone coast through a whole playthrough with barely any upgrades because he got lucky with an oil/fire combo in the first level and then just leveraged it for all it was worth.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Your SPECIAL most directly affects what perks you can take ASAP. It depends how you want to play the game but you’ll probably want to make sure you can qualify for gun and armor crafting at least. The tutorial area gives you one last chance to reallocate things before you start the game too, and IIRC you can look at the Perk chart while there.

Thanks, I looked at the perk chart and made sure I'd be able to quickly hit the perks for making mods (and the one that lets me scrap things for better bits so I actually have the stuff so I can make the mods)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

juliuspringle posted:

Thanks, I looked at the perk chart and made sure I'd be able to quickly hit the perks for making mods (and the one that lets me scrap things for better bits so I actually have the stuff so I can make the mods)
The second level lets you pick out tagged scrap types in the world which can be helpful. It’s best to have a HUD color that sticks out (white, green) since they will be highlighted using that color.

Your original question was a little hard to answer because different playstyles require really different builds. I recommend a stealthy/sneak attack ranged sniper/pistolero who can mod rifles/armor and who is lucky and uses crits to great effect. That said some people can’t stand sneaking, or using VATS criticals, so YMMV.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Uptime Sinclair posted:

The second level lets you pick out tagged scrap types in the world which can be helpful. It’s best to have a HUD color that sticks out (white, green) since they will be highlighted using that color.

Your original question was a little hard to answer because different playstyles require really different builds. I recommend a stealthy/sneak attack ranged sniper/pistolero who can mod rifles/armor and who is lucky and uses crits to great effect. That said some people can’t stand sneaking, or using VATS criticals, so YMMV.

I usually try to stealthily pick people off (which I haven't gotten into much yet) I just wasn't sure how to build a decent starting base stat wise. Does difficulty affect number of enemies? Because it seems like enemies are typically showing up in packs. Especially the drat ferals.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

juliuspringle posted:

I usually try to stealthily pick people off (which I haven't gotten into much yet) I just wasn't sure how to build a decent starting base stat wise. Does difficulty affect number of enemies? Because it seems like enemies are typically showing up in packs. Especially the drat ferals.
In that case assuming you’re not playing Survival, can more directly recommend Strength 3 (for Armorer and some carry capacity), Perception 4 (to allow for Locksmith and middling accuracy in VATS), Endurance and Charisma at 1, Intelligence at 6 (for Science to work on Power Armor and energy weapons), Agility at 7 (for Ninja) and Luck at 6 (for Better Criticals).

I think the starting points (maybe plus the bonus one you can find just outside the tutorial) lets you achieve all of the above. That array will let you get all the decent sneak attack perks and be a drat good rifle-or-shottyman/pistolero/smg-blaster. Sneak attacks and crafted gear will let you stay ahead of the difficulty curve in general.

If you use VATS (and invest more into Luck and its advanced critical-based perks) it helps with enemy numbers but I don’t think the number appearing is based in difficulty level. The best solution to ferals is a shotgun

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Uptime Sinclair posted:

In that case assuming you’re not playing Survival, can more directly recommend Strength 3 (for Armorer and some carry capacity), Perception 4 (to allow for Locksmith and middling accuracy in VATS), Endurance and Charisma at 1, Intelligence at 6 (for Science to work on Power Armor and energy weapons), Agility at 7 (for Ninja) and Luck at 6 (for Better Criticals).

I agree with this except for Endurance. End determines your hitpoints, so at Endurance 1 you'll die if someone sneezes in your direction.

If you aren't making a criticals build, go with 1 Luck.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Gynovore posted:

I agree with this except for Endurance. End determines your hitpoints, so at Endurance 1 you'll die if someone sneezes in your direction.

If you aren't making a criticals build, go with 1 Luck.
If you’re a sneak attacker and VATS/critical user the low endurance isn’t much of a liability (plus you can buff it with clothing anyway). You may get the odd death but it’s way less tedious to reload once in a while than to struggle against bullet sponges designed to be critted/limb-crippled.

That said, later in the game if you have a way to regenerate health/rads from high endurance it’s a pretty great QoL enhancement. I tended to put Endurance up during “dead levels” while ticking boxes on my build or else after I’d filled it out.

If you don’t like VATS and/or crits then yeah shift all those points to Endurance for sure.

E: I’m sure it was on the BIP tips but getting your SPECIALs to 11 isn’t a super-priority as going from 10 to 11 doesn’t unlock any new perks and the raw benefits of increasing a SPECIAL by one are pretty linear and of limited utility depending on the stat. It’s better to spend your points on Perks (and higher levels of a Perk) as much as possible rather than having high stats for the heck of it.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 19, 2018

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Uptime Sinclair posted:

If you’re a sneak attacker and VATS/critical user the low endurance isn’t much of a liability (plus you can buff it with clothing anyway). You may get the odd death but it’s way less tedious to reload once in a while than to struggle against bullet sponges designed to be critted/limb-crippled.

That said, later in the game if you have a way to regenerate health/rads from high endurance it’s a pretty great QoL enhancement. I tended to put Endurance up during “dead levels” while ticking boxes on my build or else after I’d filled it out.

If you don’t like VATS and/or crits then yeah shift all those points to Endurance for sure.

E: I’m sure it was on the BIP tips but getting your SPECIALs to 11 isn’t a super-priority as going from 10 to 11 doesn’t unlock any new perks and the raw benefits of increasing a SPECIAL by one are pretty linear and of limited utility depending on the stat. It’s better to spend your points on Perks (and higher levels of a Perk) as much as possible rather than having high stats for the heck of it.

I'm not gonna worry about 11 this playthrough because I got overly excited in Concord and grabbed that perception bobblehead and at this point I feel at like level 11 I've come too far to restart.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

I'm not gonna worry about 11 this playthrough because I got overly excited in Concord and grabbed that perception bobblehead and at this point I feel at like level 11 I've come too far to restart.
It’s absolutely not a big deal at all and the difference in gameplay between someone with all 11s in every stat vs someone with all 10s is all but imperceptible if you can make it to that point.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Uptime Sinclair posted:

It’s absolutely not a big deal at all and the difference in gameplay between someone with all 11s in every stat vs someone with all 10s is all but imperceptible if you can make it to that point.

And even if it starts bugging you later for whatever reason, if you're on PC you can just use the console to award yourself an extra point. It's honestly not worth worrying about.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Yeah. When you level up, taking a perk is better than boosting a stat 99% of the time. Only do the latter if there's a perk higher up the tree that you simply must have.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Finally getting around to Yakuza Kiwami; aside from the climax heat moves, is there anything essential from the skill tree I should focus on getting/ignoring?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What do i gotta know for Valkyria Chronicles 4? Coming from sombody that didn't' get very far into the first game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Finally getting around to Yakuza Kiwami; aside from the climax heat moves, is there anything essential from the skill tree I should focus on getting/ignoring?
Just had a look over the trees and nothing immediately sprang to mind. Might be worth to pay attention to the coloured icons telling you what style an upgrade applies to. The Tech tree is altogether split into Rush (left), Brawler (up) and Beast (right) abilities, in case you want to focus on one, although some abilities do apply to more than one style.

Dragon style, as you probably know, is mainly upgraded by fighting Majima. He also tends to give you a shitload of XP. Long story short: personally I followed a strategy of buying all upgrades of one price tier before moving on to the next, selecting whatever seemed good at the time, and I got on okay; I had the Dragon skill tree maybe halfway filled by the end, but the others were already full up maybe as soon as chapter 10 or 11.

I think the really essential stuff is at the outer ends of the skill trees anyway and by the time you have enough XP you'll know the game well enough to know what you want. :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Shame Boy posted:

What do i gotta know for Valkyria Chronicles 4? Coming from sombody that didn't' get very far into the first game.
I'm only like halfway but

-Unlocking and playing through squad side stories either gives them new potentials or fixes negative ones, so they're worth doing. You unlock them by a). having all three characters involved and b). using them a bunch, I think enough so that one gets promoted to Corporal. Unfortunately the only way to know who can do by which chapter is to look it up (I saw a list in the RPG thread I think so I just copied it from there).

-Scouts are no longer OP but you can get a super nifty grenade rifle if you level them up to Elite status (11?)

-Honestly Grenadiers, a new mortar unit, seem fairly crazy. You don't get a lot of them as units but they have insane range and can one shot most infantry, and even kill tanks if you place their shots well.

-There is permadeath in this game, but so long as you get to their bodies in a number of turns they will be fine. Not sure what happens if they are in an APC that gets smoked though.

-Raz is a problem

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Another note about RDR2, the first-person mode is very good to dip into while in towns or buildings. Arthur can strafe, move with a more fixed speed, look directly at items you want him to interact with, and you get a closer look at some of the detail R* put into the game. Lately I've been switching to first person any time I'm in town and it's taken away some of the frustration I used to have controlling Arthur. I wouldn't recommend using first person view while riding a horse, but if you're getting angry because Arthur is difficult to control in camp or a building, press the camera button a few times and see if first person mode helps.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

-There is permadeath in this game, but so long as you get to their bodies in a number of turns they will be fine. Not sure what happens if they are in an APC that gets smoked though.

This happened to me in a mission and the trooper inside was forced to retreat.

e: also, be ready to restart some missions after finding out the big gently caress You move they'll spring on you so that next time you're prepared. Usually the surprises are fine and something you can deal with as it comes up, but sometimes the crap they pull out of nowhere can be a game-ender.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 20, 2018

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Am I right in assuming they got rid of the handy enemy marks on the compass? They only show up when someone notices I'm there and that really destroys my whole shoot people from really far away thing.

edit: If people can take drugs and have visions I demand to magically know where enemies are.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 20, 2018

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Am I right in assuming they got rid of the handy enemy marks on the compass? They only show up when someone notices I'm there and that really destroys my whole shoot people from really far away thing.

edit: If people can take drugs and have visions I demand to magically know where enemies are.
It’s a proximity thing iirc. There are drugs/power helmet mods that can highlight living creatures, or recom scopes that will tag enemies. You can see enemies before they show up as red ticks so you can still snipe them from afar.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

LawfulWaffle posted:

I wouldn't recommend using first person view while riding a horse

On the other hand, I personally would recommend using first person view while controlling a wagon or stagecoach. It can be easier to maneuver without a giant box on wheels blocking your view.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
What I'd like to know about RDR2 is how much racing is involved. Is it every quest, as in RDR1? (I loved the writing and the side things in that, I just find racing really dull.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh dear me posted:

What I'd like to know about RDR2 is how much racing is involved. Is it every quest, as in RDR1? (I loved the writing and the side things in that, I just find racing really dull.)

The only horse racing involved is the rare random passerby on horseback that might ask "neat horse, wanna race for funsies to [Arbitrary Landmark]?"

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
There are challenges along with gunslinger and bandit etc. categories that unlock unique stat-boosting equipment. One of them is all about horse riding and making the best time, some restricting your route, between towns.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there a reason the recon scopes in Fallout 4 only tag enemies SOME of the time? I know it doesn't work if they are behind a wall (at least right now, I don't have where I can vats through cover) sometimes is better than never but it's annoying to pick off a handful of people and go in to loot bodies only to find out at gunpoint that somehow you missed like 3 more.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I believe all of the racing in RDR2 is optional and it doesn't make a big impact if you lose

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Is there a reason the recon scopes in Fallout 4 only tag enemies SOME of the time? I know it doesn't work if they are behind a wall (at least right now, I don't have where I can vats through cover) sometimes is better than never but it's annoying to pick off a handful of people and go in to loot bodies only to find out at gunpoint that somehow you missed like 3 more.
It’s possible perception plays a role but I’ve never had a character that had more than a few points in it. Literally any obstruction can throw off the target painting though.

Also I should have mentioned it before, briefly flipping into VATS is a relatively good way to pick up on enemies. Apparently the red tick in the compass only shows up if they have (partially) noticed you.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

juliuspringle posted:

Worth mentioning that, unless they patched it, recon scopes are buggy. Tagging a friendly with a scope will sometimes be considered a hostile action.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

It seems that despite being see through railings count as a solid object so you can't tag between the rails or anything like that. Does taking the castle lock me out of anything? Because I've reached that part. Also is there a limit to power armor frames in this or do they just randomly populate like loot? Because I've started hoarding them and I'm up to six frames (still only like 1 complete set of parts though) and like 19 fusion cores.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

juliuspringle posted:

It seems that despite being see through railings count as a solid object so you can't tag between the rails or anything like that. Does taking the castle lock me out of anything? Because I've reached that part. Also is there a limit to power armor frames in this or do they just randomly populate like loot? Because I've started hoarding them and I'm up to six frames (still only like 1 complete set of parts though) and like 19 fusion cores.

Frames aren't generated randomly, but yeah, there's a lot.

As for cores, you'll find a lot of them too. It's not too hard to be Power Armor All The Time Man.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

The Castle is a good second choice for a hub besides Sanctuary Hills. Minutemen doesn’t lock you out of anything in the main game. Preston Garvey isn’t really down with the whole Nuka Land DLC factions though.

Power Armor frames are uncommon but not very rare. You end up using them as mannequins for your alternate power armor pieces and/or giving them to companions, if you’re so inclined.

Fusion cores are commonly found in shops so feel free to actually use the power armor.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Uptime Sinclair posted:

The Castle is a good second choice for a hub besides Sanctuary Hills. Minutemen doesn’t lock you out of anything in the main game. Preston Garvey isn’t really down with the whole Nuka Land DLC factions though.

Power Armor frames are uncommon but not very rare. You end up using them as mannequins for your alternate power armor pieces and/or giving them to companions, if you’re so inclined.

Fusion cores are commonly found in shops so feel free to actually use the power armor.

His opinion doesn't really matter if I don't bring him with me though right?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

His opinion doesn't really matter if I don't bring him with me though right?
He only gets salty if you decide to leads raids on the Commonwealth, which is like Act 3 of that DLC (which doesn’t require him to witness it– he’ll have words for you next time he sees you and will quit the party entirely over it I think).

There’s a good bit of Nuka World you can do without upsetting him and there’s a good (not interesting) path that takes you more or less through it that he finds inoffensive so I hear.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I've read the wiki entry on Hollow Knight (and learned about the map button double-tap!), but is there anything else someone would like to add? I'm just starting the game and some bits are getting frustrating because I mostly hang out in areas where I don't have a map or die far from the closest bench.

I find it kinda funny that this game finally made me get the original complaints about Dark Souls.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Basic Dragon Quest XI question that didn't seem covered in the wiki -- is it fine to sell gear that I no longer need, or should I hang on to everything in case I need it for crafting later? Is there anything that I'm able to sell, but it's not a good idea to sell because it will have some later use?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Anything I should know before beginning Masquerada: Songs and Shadows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Uptime Sinclair posted:

He only gets salty if you decide to leads raids on the Commonwealth, which is like Act 3 of that DLC (which doesn’t require him to witness it– he’ll have words for you next time he sees you and will quit the party entirely over it I think).

There’s a good bit of Nuka World you can do without upsetting him and there’s a good (not interesting) path that takes you more or less through it that he finds inoffensive so I hear.

Do I need to boost up settlements before I try to take the castle or can I just go with it. I'm wondering if people will die if I try too early. My plan is too attack at night because I have a nocturnal 308 pipe bolt action rifle and a nuka grenade ive been saving. This feels like something to break out power armor and my fatman for. I found a chameleon metal armor arm but it makes it really hard to read the pipboy and the light effects when I stealth and destealth get annoying. Anyway to turn those off or mitigate them or should I just dropping out of stealth to check the pipboy. Guess I could start using the companion app again if it comes to it.