Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Nice, I'm aiming for a pair of them for my next skis.

I picked up a pair of Fischer Rangers second hand for this season.

I had initially looked at the rangers for this upgrade but this thread pretty strongly recommended the enforcer / Brahma / mantra cluster of skis. I don’t have any opinion on the rangers, but the thread consensus was that Fischer is not a great brand.

I got these enforcers with marker griffon bindings for about $400 shipped from powder7. They are in great shape, just some cosmetic nicks. Compared against new stuff for around $900 sticker it’s pretty great. Very easy company to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yuns posted:

I'm super excited for the beginning of the northeast/midatlantic season. I've dropped from 240 lbs at 35%+ percent body fat last season to 150 lbs at about 8% now so it's going to be interesting to see how all my snowboards ride when I'm 90 lbs lighter. Landing jumps is going to be way way easier on my body now though.

drat homie, I went from 240ish to 210ish and was feeling like a boss.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Dropping over 1/3 of your body weight in a year is an impressive assertion of dominance.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Yuns posted:

I'm super excited for the beginning of the northeast/midatlantic season. I've dropped from 240 lbs at 35%+ percent body fat last season to 150 lbs at about 8% now so it's going to be interesting to see how all my snowboards ride when I'm 90 lbs lighter. Landing jumps is going to be way way easier on my body now though.

Congrats man, you're going to be an unsinkable shred god. I'm pretty interested in how the board performance (float, flex, edgehold) changes for ya!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Yuns posted:

I've dropped from 240 lbs at 35%+ percent body fat last season to 150 lbs at about 8% now

Jesus, dude. Good hustle.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Yuns posted:

drat. That’s impressive. What did you do to your diet? My winter coat seems to be showing up earlier and earlier.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Moot . posted:

drat. That’s impressive. What did you do to your diet? My winter coat seems to be showing up earlier and earlier.
It was simple but not easy.

Food is 90% of it and exercise only 10%
The fundamental principle of any diet is calories in calories out.
You can do this with a normal diet, keto, veganism etc.

1. Track all my calories using MyFitnessPal App. Everything that I eat has to be tracked.
2. Calculated base metabolism rate (BMR), minimum calories needed if you are total immobile, and total daily energy expenditure (TDEE), calories burned per day. My BMR is about 1500 and TDEE about
2800-2900. When calculating BMR and TDEE use sedentary settings of you are an office worker for general level of activity and the proper exercise level separately.
3. Choose a calorie limit and deficit based on TDEE that gives you about a 7000 calorie a week deficit (2 lbs per week). I actually chose closer to a 3-4 pound deficit Mine was a limit of 1500 calories so about 1300-1400 per day deficit.
4. Stick to the calorie limit every day.
5. No cheat meals; no cheat days
6. Get a food scale for home and one for the office and measure everything for calorie tracking. Don't eyeball and guess. You can be off by 20-40%.
7. Do not increase your calorie limit based on your exercise that day. You will not burn as many calories as you think and so can easily eat more than you burned.
8. No alcohol
9. Get 1 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of GOAL body weight. I needed to eat a lot of egg white, fish and drink a lot of why shakes to do this
10. Get a normal multivitamin and calcium supplement
11. Rest of calories can be divided between fats and carbs as you see fit
12. Avoid sugars, breads, pastas etc and try to get carbs from vegetables (can have some small amount of rice or sweet potato or oats)
13. If you gently caress up don't try to severely restrict calories the next day to make up for it or simply give up for the day. Just immediately stop loving up and get back to the plan immediately.
14. If you hit the limit for the day stop eating.. No matter when.
15. Black coffee and diet soda with caffeine helped me out when I couldn't eat
16. You can socialize without eating or drinking. Just because food is there, doesn't mean you have to have it.
17. Don't get pressured into eating crap and get comfortable with turning down food
18. You will feel hungry. This is false hunger. People eat continuously and are used to having stomachs that are never empty. As a result they feel hunger when they have an empty stomach even if food is still being digested in the small intestine. Learn to recognize real hunger and false hunger.
19. Lift regularly to preserve muscle mass; cardio isn’t critical but find an activity that you like to do. For me that was BJJ and snowboarding.

I half assed it from fall of last year to April and went from 240 to 227 in like 4-6 months. I got serious and came up with my plan on April 21 at 227 and dropped to 150 by mid-November.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 16, 2018

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'm in awe of your willpower. i've lost ~20 lbs so far in prep for my japan ski trip and was feeling good about being 200 lbs :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, that's very impressive. It's like a 12-year old was sitting on your back and has now jumped off.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I’m always super psyched to see a new diet until I see no alcohol, then I reject that diet. Every diet has no alcohol so I just decide that I’m going to work out every day instead. That’s no life I want.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kiimo posted:

I’m always super psyched to see a new diet until I see no alcohol, then I reject that diet. Every diet has no alcohol so I just decide that I’m going to work out every day instead. That’s no life I want.

Maybe try the fine wine diet. Get into exclusive stuff from Burgundy and Bordeaux, then you can no longer afford food and your weight plummets.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
You can actually use my plan with alcohol but you still need to make the calorie limits and protein requirements which is hard to do if you are drinking a lot. You also have to avoid snacking while drinking unless you count all the calories and fit them in your limits.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

kiimo posted:

Rule 8 is also my problem. My job is becoming more sedentary so I’m gonna have to get back into the gym.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They need to amend the alcohol classes you are forced to take when you get a DUI.

4 drinks = Binge Drinking
4 drinks for Italians = Dinner

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
How good of a skier do I need to be for heli-skiing to be worth it?

Stellar is doing a locals day for $550 CAD - 6 runs, 3000m vertical. I'm a lovely skier but I'm tempted...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bringer posted:

Stellar is doing a locals day for $550 CAD - 6 runs, 3000m vertical. I'm a lovely skier but I'm tempted...

You generally you need to be able able to ski resort blacks. The people you go with are all going to be black diamond skiers. Unless you have a whole bird (so four people) at your ability you are either going to be slowing everything down and making people mad or you are going to have to wait out runs or something.

For the price though it is a loving steal. Through in another $100 for the lead and tail guide and just drat is that cheap.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kalman posted:

In honor of the earliest DC area snow I’ve been here for, if you like Nieheus trail maps, he’s kickstarting a book of them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orsc/james-niehues-the-man-behind-the-map

This is sweet. Backing this one for sure.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

One of the nice things about managing rich peoples’ vacation homes is you occasionally find treasures like this

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How do we like the chips headphones? Better than just shoving some AirPods up in there?

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

spwrozek posted:

You generally you need to be able able to ski resort blacks. The people you go with are all going to be black diamond skiers. Unless you have a whole bird (so four people) at your ability you are either going to be slowing everything down and making people mad or you are going to have to wait out runs or something.

For the price though it is a loving steal. Through in another $100 for the lead and tail guide and just drat is that cheap.

I’d say I’m ok on resort blacks - I spent more time on blues last year though because I bought skis for Cypress / the PNW and then moved to the Kootenays. 85 or 90mm waist, full camber - fun for groomers but not powder highway skis.

I’ll have new gear this year but not a lot of days on it... but for that price I’m not sure how worried I am about being the last guy down a run.

Thanks for the post, something to think about.

bringer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 17, 2018

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

bringer posted:

My helicopter experience was what we would call double blue to single black terrain. We had Florida Man with us and he immediately lost a ski and went tumbling down a face, like within 2 minutes of getting out of the helicopter. I also lost a GoPro session during a powder bath. Definitely do it if you can, that’s a great deal. Just riding in the whirlybird is awesome.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

How do we like the chips headphones? Better than just shoving some AirPods up in there?

Buy a pair of these if you want to go cheap and mostly just want to listen to music. You don’t get the “earpiece is a button” part, but it’s also 15 bucks and is good enough for music and listening to voicemails. (There’s a mic in the controller but probably won’t wind up anywhere useful for actually talking.)

E: don’t wear them as is, yank the guts out and drop them into the chip slots on your helmet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dangerllama posted:

My wife and I both use the wireless ones, zero complaints. Much more enjoyable than managing wired earbuds under my hat like I used to.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dangerllama posted:

I have a pair of wired and wireless. They are the best helmet specific headphones I've tried. Unfortunately, my helmet fits better without the liner so I have no way use them anymore.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have a rich rear end in a top hat brother and I never know what to get him for Christmas. However, he just bought a condo in telluride. He loves the area. I am thinking of like a framed map of the ski area. Do any of you know of a sort of artistic ski area map, I’m not looking to just frame one of the Niehues ones.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Got to winter park yesterday. Not exactly much to write home about, but it was great just to get out there. I know they got some new snow overnight though, so maybe things are looking good today. The new gondola won't be open until mid december. Anyone hit up copper yet? I was thinking of doing that next weekend.

New boots are great. They're still going to take some breaking in, but they're miles better than what I was skiing on. Going to go look at new skiis this afternoon.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I have a rich rear end in a top hat brother and I never know what to get him for Christmas. However, he just bought a condo in telluride. He loves the area. I am thinking of like a framed map of the ski area. Do any of you know of a sort of artistic ski area map, I’m not looking to just frame one of the Niehues ones.

https://www.circlesquarediamond.com/

I got one of these from a secret santa a couple years ago and it was awesome.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

HookShot posted:

I've got a rich rear end in a top hat brother who bought a ski condo too, and have the same problem, so this is perfect!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

this is the content I crave

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

bringer posted:

Day heli is a rip; 3000m is a good weekend of touring, or like 2.5 runs at kicking horse

tbh it's worth it if you want the experience, but otherwise meh

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Landsknecht posted:

Day heli is a rip; 3000m is a good weekend of touring, or like 2.5 runs at kicking horse

tbh it's worth it if you want the experience, but otherwise meh

I would disagree. Stellar is nice since you will get 3000-5500 meters in (it will depend on what the snow pack looks like), the bird only has room for 4 and the guides (so much less tracks), and for the price, the price is killer. Just up the road Selkrik Tangerines charges $1115 USD for a day, this is about $450 USD. Heck a day pass at Vail to wait in lift lines on a powder day is $200.

Is sled access and skinning more fun in this part of Canada? I would say yes generally but the price is hard to beat.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 403 days!
well i got a season pass for Big White, the most creatively named mountain, so i guess i better learn how to snowboard

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
In a shocking outcome, Shiffrin smashed the women's field and Hirscher pipped Kristoffersen to win the first slalom of the season in Levi.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

spwrozek posted:

I would disagree. Stellar is nice since you will get 3000-5500 meters in (it will depend on what the snow pack looks like), the bird only has room for 4 and the guides (so much less tracks), and for the price, the price is killer. Just up the road Selkrik Tangerines charges $1115 USD for a day, this is about $450 USD. Heck a day pass at Vail to wait in lift lines on a powder day is $200.

Is sled access and skinning more fun in this part of Canada? I would say yes generally but the price is hard to beat.

oh if they're doing an a-star that's a better deal, especially if you fill the machine

selkirk tangiers is a huge gamble imo; they only have a few good places for bad weather (cranberry lmao) and those sometimes get tracked up by sleds

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

The conditions in Aspen for an early opening are better than they were at Christmas last year

New boots are torture though

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://snowbrains.com/noaa-2-snow-...5eb9-RpXQ7z17g4

Here comes some serious snow

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Steamboat pass is here, I’m missing the top of my head.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Selkirk Tangiers went to pot when they sold the outfit to RMR back during the pie-in-the-sky days just after the resort opened. I don't blame them for cashing out, because everyone in town did (houses went from $70k to $700k in 12 months, it was insane), but drat its like RMR was some kind of monkeys paw which poo poo on everything it touched if you didn't immediately gtfo in '07-'08.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Denverites,

Is there a ski/snowboard outlet (last year's gear) shop down there somewhere? MSO in Dillon used to kick rear end up here, but the last few times I have been there, its all current gear and near list price.

I need to get the wife some new snowboard bindings, and have to make an airport run tomorrow. Hoping there is somewhere I can swing by quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moey posted:

Denverites,

Is there a ski/snowboard outlet (last year's gear) shop down there somewhere? MSO in Dillon used to kick rear end up here, but the last few times I have been there, its all current gear and near list price.

I need to get the wife some new snowboard bindings, and have to make an airport run tomorrow. Hoping there is somewhere I can swing by quickly.

Powder 7 in Golden would be your best bet probably