Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
loving HEATHENS in this darn sacred thread, only one kind soul has suggested the most important part of ones communion: the dang dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Jamón de Serrano trip report: tastes much different from any other cured meat I’ve tried, but I like it. This is fortunate because it’s going to take me weeks to work through it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Don't want to put you off your ham, but if you start seeing tiny tiny bugs on it, don't panic and throw it out the window. It is quite normal and expected for a jamon to get these and you either ignore them and eat away (like my dad) or wipe them off + plus give the top slice to your dad (me).

https://erikras.com/2014/12/05/spanish-ham-mites-entomology-and-jamon-iberico/

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
As Costco membership is worldwide, we brought my wife's card back with us from Korea to see what the local branch was like.

Kind've weird to see the little regional differences (Eg. At Leeds you can get a platter of sushi rolls, but not sashimi like in Seoul). Although we didn't buy a whole lot this first trip, we plan to make more infrequent trips once we get a hold on what we need. Some stuff was an absolute steal though (24x500ml bottles of water for 2.49).

We were a little worried there wasn't a food court at first, because half the reason to go was to get a dog and try the chicken bake. But it was tucked away in a little section with the tables. Chicken bake was good, but there was no onion dispenser, the server just asked if you wanted your dog with or without. Got a bbq chicken pizza to take out for dinner (and breakfast), which was pretty decent for the price.

PBUC

Edit for Jamon chat: one of the local supermarkets had jamon legs for sale last xmas at something like ~£30. Didn't bother getting one for one reason or another. By New Year they were on sale for ~£20. By the end of January, with only a month on their use by date left, they were down to ~£10.

I ate a whole lotta jamon in February.

StevoMcQueen fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 17, 2018

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Thinking about picking up a few months supply of daily contact lenses at Costco, any positive/negative experiences over ordering them off a shady website?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Pookah posted:

Don't want to put you off your ham, but if you start seeing tiny tiny bugs on it, don't panic and throw it out the window. It is quite normal and expected for a jamon to get these and you either ignore them and eat away (like my dad) or wipe them off + plus give the top slice to your dad (me).

why would you post this

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Pookah posted:

Is that dancing sensation on your tongue flavor or bugs? You decide.

I'd still eat it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Lazyhound posted:

why would you post this

I'm sorry, I really was trying to be helpful :(

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Got that $300 14" HP laptop. It's pretty good. Expandable memory, which fixes it's only real weakness. Typing this post from it and everything. PBUC.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018

Pookah posted:

Jesus this poo poo could not get any less appealing to me. This is even worse than that sardine poo poo.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Bummey posted:

when pizza's on a bagel you can eat pizza any time

And poo poo it out all the time

StevoMcQueen posted:

Edit for Jamon chat: one of the local supermarkets had jamon legs for sale last xmas at something like ~£30. Didn't bother getting one for one reason or another. By New Year they were on sale for ~£20. By the end of January, with only a month on their use by date left, they were down to ~£10.

I ate a whole lotta jamon in February.

It’s cured, right? so is the use by date more of a polite suggestion like in the States?

durrneez fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 17, 2018

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

durrneez posted:

It’s cured, right? so is the use by date more of a polite suggestion like in the States?

Sure, but then again, there was that lovely post about those tiny bugs.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

durrneez posted:

I had the rest of my chicken tortilla soup last night, 7 days after I opened the package. It says to use it within 3 days of opening.

All of those "use by" dates/times are suuuper conservative.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

So I tried the chicken bake hotdog thing, only with a bunless Italian sausage.

Insertion did not go well.

Tasted okay, but I'm sticking with my usual hotdog or combo slice.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Does anyone frequent Costcos in San Jose? If so, what is the best Costco? Which is the best for ethnic options? Really hoping someone can help me out here. I love San Jose and work there, but I commute over so I don't really feel like going to all of the different Costcos to see which one is best.

Omnipotent Fist
Aug 18, 2018

WHAT DO YOU ALL HAVE AGAINST Wal*Mart™ (Save money, live better)
I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW IT IS A RESPECTABLE BUSINESS WITH a great selection of high-quality merchandise, friendly service and, of course, Every Day Low Prices!

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Mods?????

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just picked up a turkey and some beer. Grabbed a dog on the way out.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Costco gives all their employees a free turkey for Thanksgiving every year. I haven't paid for a turkey in almost a decade PBUC.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Taima posted:

Does anyone frequent Costcos in San Jose? If so, what is the best Costco? Which is the best for ethnic options? Really hoping someone can help me out here. I love San Jose and work there, but I commute over so I don't really feel like going to all of the different Costcos to see which one is best.

Raleigh Rd. the new one is so much less busy than the others.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

pnumoman posted:

Size queen gets tore up ITT.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

pnumoman posted:

what have i done

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Omnipotent Fist posted:

WHAT DO YOU ALL HAVE AGAINST Wal*Mart™ (Save money, live better)
I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW IT IS A RESPECTABLE BUSINESS WITH a great selection of high-quality merchandise, friendly service and, of course, Every Day Low Prices!

Must be hard to go through life with profound brain damage, PBUC.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Got some new shoes, a new coat to prepare for the move up to dc, turkey and provolone sandwich, and two cases of la Croix because they had three types (!!!) and I wanted the plain/lemon/lime and the tangerine/berry/cranraspberry

pbuc

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I finally did it guys, I got the Costco dog on my way out today. Today I finally lived.

We also got this giant jar of quinoa artichoke salad and some basic necessities. But the dog was the star.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Good soup! posted:

Got some new shoes, a new coat to prepare for the move up to dc, turkey and provolone sandwich, and two cases of la Croix because they had three types (!!!) and I wanted the plain/lemon/lime and the tangerine/berry/cranraspberry

pbuc

whoa whoa whoa. yours has multiple variety packs? mine only has the terrible 6 gross lemon, 12 revolting lime, 6 ambrosia of the gods grapefruit pack

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 18, 2018

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Jingleheimer posted:

Costco gives all their employees a free turkey for Thanksgiving every year. I haven't paid for a turkey in almost a decade PBUC.

Thank you for your service.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

pnumoman posted:

Sure, but then again, there was that lovely post about those tiny bugs.

The guy in that article casually mentioned they found it in their shed, having forgotten about it since summer so I imagine if you're not abandoning it in a dark area for months at a time you'll be fine.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bummey posted:

whoa whoa whoa. yours has multiple variety packs? mine only has the terrible 6 gross lemon, 12 revolting lime, 6 ambrosia of the gods grapefruit pack

Typically we only have two at a time - the 12 plain/6 lemon/6 lime and one of those fancier ones with the blackberry, cantoulope or whatever, and the watermelon kiwi (or some poo poo, I haven't gotten it in a while)

They've occasionally done the 12 tangerine/6 berry/6 cranraspberry, sans the fancy one, but this was the first time I've seen all three at the same time

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Good soup! posted:

Typically we only have two at a time - the 12 plain/6 lemon/6 lime and one of those fancier ones with the blackberry, cantoulope or whatever, and the watermelon kiwi (or some poo poo, I haven't gotten it in a while)

They've occasionally done the 12 tangerine/6 berry/6 cranraspberry, sans the fancy one, but this was the first time I've seen all three at the same time

my envy deepens

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Bigchops posted:

Raleigh Rd. the new one is so much less busy than the others.

Great tip, thanks! That location is pretty nuts. No wonder it's less crowded, it's almost not even in San Jose

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

durrneez posted:

And poo poo it out all the time

I think so, to a point.

The instructions with the one I got stated that it should be covered in a little oil to help keep it from spoiling between uses, and it had a muslin cloth bag to put it in. But even with that, you start to notice the odd bit of discolouration or small white dots of mold forming, though apparently that's normal.

Still, I ate the lot within a month, and didn't die. Would do again. Pro-tip: when you get bored of doing it properly and making wafer thin slices, just cut a 1/4-1/2 inch thick slab off and gently fry it like a gammon steak.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
not sure if anyone's said this yet but NEVER buy Kirkland beer

literally the only time in my life when I had to poo poo and vomit at the same time. they skunked one of their batches real loving bad this year and I see no reason why they won't do it again

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Greetings from the past. almost one year to be exact; this is how far behind I am on this thread

Since it is cold and I had $70 in rebate cash that I never got around to using, I made the holy pilgrimage to my (new to me since I moved) local Costco, which praise be, is far less busier than the Costco I used to frequent and purchased the most sacred of items:

I look forward to submitting myself to its warm embrace tonight

also don't buy those nut bars, they are wicked bad

in conclusion,

Argyle posted:

Once inside my local Costco, while I wandered, not quite lost, though
Eating many a quaint and curious sample from every row--
While I shopped for beef and flannels, Kirkland gin and huge flat-panels,
Suddenly a raven perched upon my sherpa throw.
“‘Tis some awesome bird,” I muttered, “Hunting bargains just like me.”
Quoth the raven, “PBUC.”

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

AF posted:

also don't buy those nut bars, they are wicked bad

i thought they were okay

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

olives black posted:

literally the only time in my life when I had to poo poo and vomit at the same time. they skunked one of their batches real loving bad this year and I see no reason why they won't do it again

My father in law is a 70 year old machinist who is still working. He will drink almost any old lovely beer. Normal fare in his house is Old German or Pabst, although he will also enjoy some micros if my wife is ordering for him (he's deaf and communicating with waitstaff can be difficult, so often he will just say he'll have whatever you are having). When I walk into one of his regular drinking spots with him, the owner says, "HI BOB! YOU WANT HAMM OR BUSCH?!"

He tried to make me take a case of Kirkland beer from him because he didn't like the taste. After trying one, I refused. He ended up throwing it away.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
the box says they're good 'till 4/19, but they taste really stale and kind of bland

a huge bummer because I was really looking forward to them and also I now need to force myself to eat 28 more of them :newlol:

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

olives black posted:

I'm a person with very low standards and I like almost any beer I try.

That said, Kirkland Light is awful garbage and nobody should ever drink it.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
The Kirkland craft beer is pretty good but yeah, the KS light is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I went in one day looking for that garbage costco beer only to be told they havent received it in moths!

The craft Costco beer is meh. Drinkable.