Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe not back in the day, but now it totally fits for a college graduate to still be unable to find gainful employment and live on a boat because they can't afford a house.

I mostly don't think he'd have the patience to sit through all the lectures and written tests. I'm not a smug rear end in a top hat who thinks that a college degree means automatic employment and therefore that all unemployed people are uneducated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Donald said they were college buddies; he never said he graduated. :haw:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The look on Scrooge's face when Donald said that he owned McDuck Enterprises was fantastic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

That last one begs the question of what the heck Panchito and José would be doing in the navy.

People who get their college paid for by the GI bill still go to the same civilian college with the non-military folk.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Shout out to Dewey's lovely tragedy-aping Instagram posts.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Good ep is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mkiGMtbrPM

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sockser posted:

Can we uhhhh get Jose and Panchito as recurring characters please

I second this motion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sockser posted:

Can we uhhhh get Jose and Panchito as recurring characters please

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I second this motion.

Yes. I'm quite pleased that all three of them turned out to be broke losers lying their asses off to impress each other.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm pretty nonplussed they got away with the egg drop joke

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm pretty nonplussed they got away with the egg drop joke

There's a joke I want to make but it's in insanely poor taste, so I won't.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes. I'm quite pleased that all three of them turned out to be broke losers lying their asses off to impress each other.

Hey now, Jose is doing very well for himself :colbert: being a flight attendant is a perfectly respectable career. They have a strong union, they get health insurance, and they earn lots of travel miles they can put towards vacations. Let us not thumb our noses at working class birds.

But yeah, it was cute that they wanted to impress each other :3:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

cant cook creole bream posted:

Donald doesn't strike me as the college type. And I'm pretty confident that he hasn't gotten his degree. I wonder what his major was. Nautical engineering? History? He did apply for an office job in the first episode, so maybe he studied something completely mundane like economics.

I want to believe the he tried to study computer science and was thrown out when he smashed the university's main frame in a fit of rage after a slight error in his programming.

He was trying to become a speech therapist. :(

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The Three Caballeros was my favorite movie growing up and when they started singing the song I basically burst into tears.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Is it an omelet joke?

I rewatched The Spear of Selene! yesterday. I don't recall whether or not I caught Louie's Cynical quip the first time around.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I've never actually seen The Three Caballeros, how is it? Also were Jose and Panchito voiced by their original actors in this, or if not did they at least sound close?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The animation holds up great and the musical numbers are excellent. The actors that played Jose and Panchito originally are both long dead, I believe (the film came out in 1944).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

So I've never actually seen The Three Caballeros, how is it? Also were Jose and Panchito voiced by their original actors in this, or if not did they at least sound close?

Are you talking about the movie, or the streaming show they did this year?

If you mean the movie, I watched it once when I was a kid, so I only have spotty memories of it, but it’s... weird. It’s a lot like Fantasia: a series of songs/animation/live action sequences designed to teach white kids about Mexican, Central and South American culture in the span of 90 minutes and in the least-racist way that the Walt Disney Company of the 1940s could manage. The film is largely driven by Panchito and Jose, again, from what I remember, and contributed a lot to their enduring popularity despite barely showing up in anything else Disney’s done until this year.

Haven’t watched the show, but from what I’ve seen it’s an update take on the movie with an actual plot this time spread out over like 10 or 12 episodes. Panchito and Jose don’t use the same voice actors for DuckTales as they do for the series because Jamie Camil and Eric Bauza already play Don Karnage and the Beagle Boys, respectively, so they wanted different voices for DuckTales.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The final musical number is the only weak point in the three caballeros because it just drags on and on instead of being a rousing fun number like the rest

Go watch it

It’s great

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Disney was hired by the US government during WW2 to make the original movie as a sort of "goodwill package" to Latin America, to reinforce American culture there against a perceived creeping Nazi influence.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

Yeah it and it's prequel Saludos Amigos are fun movies, but then pretty much the only movie in the Disney Animated Canon that is completely without merit is probably Dinosaur in my opinion

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also from that era, the animated adaptation of The Wind in the Willows narrated by Basil Rathbone is worth watching.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cant cook creole bream posted:

Donald doesn't strike me as the college type. And I'm pretty confident that he hasn't gotten his degree. I wonder what his major was. Nautical engineering? History? He did apply for an office job in the first episode, so maybe he studied something completely mundane like economics.

I want to believe the he tried to study computer science and was thrown out when he smashed the university's main frame in a fit of rage after a slight error in his programming.

He was trying to get a job as an accountant in the first episode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Apparently Jose and Panchito have gotten lines recorded for a future episode.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Also from that era, the animated adaptation of The Wind in the Willows narrated by Basil Rathbone is worth watching.

I know, factually, that's what it's called, after the source material of the same name. But for whatever reason, I can't help but call it 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride'.

Personally, I blame my mother's love of theme parks..

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I know, factually, that's what it's called, after the source material of the same name. But for whatever reason, I can't help but call it 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride'.

Personally, I blame my mother's love of theme parks..

To be fair there's a reason why "X's Wild Ride" is such a catchy and recurring refrain in this insane decade. It's a great title onto itself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently Jose and Panchito have gotten lines recorded for a future episode.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them showing up more in Donald-centric episodes. Might be a bit of a theme given he's finally got a steady babysitter (and a second home) for the triplets and they're getting old enough to take care of themselves, so Donald finally has some free time for probably the first time in a decade at least.

I didn't finish the possibly-accidentally-released Three Caballeros series (It's kinda average, though with ups and downs) but I did kinda miss Jose and Panchito's more developed character quirks from that. Would be interesting to see them contrasted with the triplets; Jose's personality in the series was a bit like Louie and Dewey trying to talk and charm his way out of everything (though he's not quite as much of a polyglot as he thinks he is) while Panchito's kind of a lunatic.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

nine-gear crow posted:

Panchito and Jose don’t use the same voice actors for DuckTales as they do for the series because Jamie Camil and Eric Bauza already play Don Karnage and the Beagle Boys, respectively, so they wanted different voices for DuckTales.

They've also said they wanted voice actors who actually matched their nationalities.

drrockso20 posted:

pretty much the only movie in the Disney Animated Canon that is completely without merit is probably Dinosaur in my opinion

Or The Wild, if you live in Europe.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

fractalairduct posted:

They've also said they wanted voice actors who actually matched their nationalities.

Or The Wild, if you live in Europe.

If it were up to me I'd strike both from the Canon and stick something else in their place, like The Nightmare Before Christmas or A Goofy Movie, something that was actually good

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Does Chicken Little count as Disney Animated Canon? Because if it does then it's complete crap too. Even on a technical level, it wasn't ahead of what Pixar was producing at the time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pakled posted:

Does Chicken Little count as Disney Animated Canon? Because if it does then it's complete crap too. Even on a technical level, it wasn't ahead of what Pixar was producing at the time.

Well, it was in Kingdom Hearts so technically yes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I wasn't really following news about the show or anything, so when I started watching this last episode and saw Portuguese I popped SUPER HARD for Zé Carioca, you guys don't even know. Although I have to say that Zé Carioca holding a freakin' job is an affront to canon. :colbert:

Ducktales is really good, y'all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled posted:

I believe it's counted as such, as is Meet the Robinsons.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

New episode is up on streaming.

A couple of nods to the old cartoon with the harpies. Overall, a good Ghostbusters adaptation with a Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory chaser.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"Harpies do exist! Niche publication vindicated!"

The Thor flight was also a nice touch.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 17, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, Dewey has been the MVP of drive-by gags this year.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is Hercules is certainly no stranger to doing odd jobs with a fair amount of collateral damage, though probably not used to the modern employment context.

Storkules and Donald actually have a lot in common.

ed: D'aww, Huey has a nightcap cap.

I do love that Dewey realises he has no counter-argument to Louie's assertion that he'd be a terrible employee. (A bit funny since he HAS worked for Mark Beaks in the past, but probably has to admit that was all style over substance)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 18, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ed: D'aww, Huey has a nightcap cap.

He's slowly transforming into Featherly.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is Hercules is certainly no stranger to doing odd jobs with a fair amount of collateral damage, though probably not used to the modern employment context.

Storkules and Donald actually have a lot in common.

Hercules also had anger issues like Donald, but it gets decidedly less funny coming from somebody with super strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I liked that Storkules referred to all his chores and tasks as 'Labours'.