Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Epilogue: lol John really fuckin skipped leg day huh

his physique is described as "perfect" if you check your weigh immediately upon controlling him in the epilogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oxxidation posted:

The legendary bull gator is the focus of a (terrible) story mission, so it’s not available to hunt until later chapters.

I was honestly half expecting that story mission to just give me the goddamn gator corpse at the end of it. I have this legendary panther pelt that looks good with everything but I want that hat to complete the set.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Caught the legendary beaver and I wasn't even out to find him. I was just on a Murfree Purge of the area and stumbled upon his dam. Thanks for the gloves little guy!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oxxidation posted:

The legendary bull gator is the focus of a (terrible) story mission, so it’s not available to hunt until later chapters.

Oh okay yeah I remember doing that. I rushed through the story and I'm doing a slow burn playthrough now so that's good to know.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This is really irritating. Twice now I've pulled a gun on law enforcement when trying to surrender. The second time I even made sure to have just my fists equipped before I did it. Why does this happen?

It's especially irritating I got charged with assault for trying to lasso someone who was SHOOTING at me.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it makes absolutely 0 sense for a number of reasons but it’s my personal head canon that Uncle is Red Harlow somehow

just because Red was kind of enough of a dork that I can buy him accomplishing his revenge quest and just loving off to spend the rest of his life telling questionably true tales about his past and lazing about

kind of neat that both RDR1 and 2 now acknowledge that Revolver happened in this universe at least to some degree

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but I just realized that when you enter the territory of a legendary animal and then check your map there is a very small question mark that marks off the first piece of evidence. Now I feel like a dumbo for all the mindless running around. You may need to be within its vicinity but I'm not sure of that.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mandrel posted:

it makes absolutely 0 sense for a number of reasons but it’s my personal head canon that Uncle is Red Harlow somehow

In RDR1, Uncle wears a glove on only his right hand, like Red did.

Rockstar says that the games aren't in the same universe but I've also always thought that he was Red.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have some tips to more easily do the art exhibition thing where they want a cardinal and a woodpecker?

I've follow the online suggestions to just wander the dakota river in the morning, but never seem to see the required birds (or if I do, they're rarely 3 star quality).

Am I missing something here, or is this way harder/frustrating than 90% of the other challenges?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

UnknownMercenary posted:

I spent a week in-game away from camp hunting birds and eventually Bill came to find me and asked me what the gently caress was going on. This game. :allears:

Haha, I just ran into Charles on my way out of St Denis after spending roughly a week camping out looking for that legendary buck (which I finally got), and he said Dutch was really concerned that I was never in camp anymore.

Dutch has been hanging out with the Sheriff in Rhodes for WEEKS now waiting for me to pop in to see him :laugh:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I hope online mode gives you a strong incentive to hunt, fish and generally explore. It was great early on when I had no money but ever since that bank robbery in chapter 3 I had more money than I knew what to do with.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Republicans posted:

I hope online mode gives you a strong incentive to hunt, fish and generally explore. It was great early on when I had no money but ever since that bank robbery in chapter 3 I had more money than I knew what to do with.
While it's hard to beat drugs for avoiding immediate death, big game meat + Herbs are real loving good if you want a hefty gold core buff on demand.

I wish you could just buy herbs instead relying on picking them out of the dirt. I pass by so many herbs while hunting because you are not allowed to pick them while the 'tracking animal' meter is up, and some mint isn't worth the risk of losing track of 3 star animals :v:

Though half the time I'm feeding Morgan premium herb steaks is just to give him some variety from a diet of 90% Plain Venison. (I've finally got that perfect bod. Thanks, chocolate bars!)

Honestly I wouldn't feel the need for having such a cash buffer if not for the fact I'm a very boring guy who likes paying off my bounties ASAP. But it's been worth the pricetag for being able to take everything at my leisure, rather than get booted out of the trapper menu before crafting a nice new jacket and other pranks from bounty hunters.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 18, 2018

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

JosefStalinator posted:

Does anyone have some tips to more easily do the art exhibition thing where they want a cardinal and a woodpecker?

I've follow the online suggestions to just wander the dakota river in the morning, but never seem to see the required birds (or if I do, they're rarely 3 star quality).

Am I missing something here, or is this way harder/frustrating than 90% of the other challenges?

Haven't found a woodpecker yet, but I've found a ton of little birds on this location. They seem to spawn on the rocks in the river, each bird has it's own rock. So you can look for them with your binoculars, and if you've found the bird you need, you can camp until it's a 3 star one. Studying them does seem to trigger them into flying away though. So I suggest looking around until you find the bird you're looking for, camping and then the next morning just shoot it with your bow as soon as the reticle turns red.

Here's the general location:

And here it's zoomed in. Around the 'V' of Roanoke Vally is where there are a ton of rocks in the river where the little birds should spawn.

There's a perfect raven there that sits on a rock and flies away as you approach. So if you see that, you're in the right spot.

I'll try and get some in-game screenshots later, but I'm at the other end of the map at the moment and well :effort:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but I just realized that when you enter the territory of a legendary animal and then check your map there is a very small question mark that marks off the first piece of evidence. Now I feel like a dumbo for all the mindless running around. You may need to be within its vicinity but I'm not sure of that.

The question mark only appears if you are close to it, activating the special vision mode makes it appear further away on the minimap.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

JosefStalinator posted:

I bagged a 3* woodpecker and a 3* cardinal last night, in the area of the northern shore at Flat Iron Lake between Flatneck Station and Gill Landing. It took over an in-game day, traipsing around on foot while aiming at anything flying overhead.

The woodpeckers each spawned alone, flying overhead. I saw one cardinal do that too, and also saw cardinals mixed with flocks of other birds (sneaky jerks)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

This game has got us sharing good fishing spots, hunting tips, and tall tales. I love it.

I feel like there are problems with vendor/incidental dialog that take away from some neat things. For example the fur trader mentions the legendary animals/fish and their approximate locations so you don't just have to stumble into them. A post office worker told me about a findable axe around Wallace station, etc etc. Neat, little clues in context help build up this little world.

Let's go back to the fur trader, because I think we have all been there often. When you leave the buy or sell screen the main character sometimes says, "Thank you, you're very helpful". Not for the services but for sharing info (?) Problem is the vendor didn't say his line. I think the game treats any interaction with the vendor as a "stranger event", just like giving money to the drunk beggar results in you being told about a robbery target. Too many thing going on for any one thing to work correctly 100% of the time.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hey I killed the legendary cougar and the mission made me take it to a butcher. Should I have bucked that and gone to the fur trader with it? I see he sells things that require a legendary cougar skin.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Untrustable posted:

Hey I killed the legendary cougar and the mission made me take it to a butcher. Should I have bucked that and gone to the fur trader with it? I see he sells things that require a legendary cougar skin.

that was not the legendary if its the mission in the cave, thats just a rare one made for that

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Oh. Good. Thank you.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Odd question: Are there any animals that go into trees? I find it odd that everything is either at eye height or lower or flying way up in the air, there's no birds perching in trees or squirrels in them that I've seen.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

Flannelette posted:

Odd question: Are there any animals that go into trees?

My Horse

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ok I’m not the only one.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

JosefStalinator posted:

A lot of the birds you're looking for will land along the rocks close to the river's edge. Walk up and down along it and keep a scoped rifle out for any bright/miscolored spots along rock formations. Be aware that birds will only perch on the rocks during day time. Once you find a perched bird you're looking for you'll want to equip small game arrows on your bow, then charge the shot before marking said bird in Deadeye to give yourself a better chance to hit. If you have the legendary buck trinket you can shoot them with a varmint rifle and there's also a chance you'll get a perfect carcass out of it.

The specific area of the Dakota river you want to be looking at it is due west of Horseshoe Overlook, and around Limpany/Flatneck Station. Aside from a cardinal and woodpecker, you also need a robin, oriole, songbird, sparrow, cedar waxwing, blue jay and crow for later stages of this quest. All of those can spawn in that area.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

90% of the time the horse will move to the side of a tree but then sometimes he decides to eat poo poo and I have no idea.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Krinkle posted:

90% of the time the horse will move to the side of a tree but then sometimes he decides to eat poo poo and I have no idea.

Have you ever met a horse IRL?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Discovery: the horse will slide all the down Mount Hagen with the r1 button held down.

Geralt White Snowboarding: Wild Wild West Edition.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

poor F******s, thought about trees and died

Did we ever figure out why you're not allowed to name your horse "Freckles" in the game? Does that contain a foreign swear word or something?

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
I never knew horses were so flammable. I learned the hard way to not use any type of fire weapon near my horse. Horse reviver appears to not work on crispy horse corpses.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Necrosaro posted:

I never knew horses were so flammable. I learned the hard way to not use any type of fire weapon near my horse. Horse reviver appears to not work on crispy horse corpses.

Horse reviver only works on mostly dead horses.
https://youtu.be/xbE8E1ez97M

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My horse slightly brushed a moving train once and indeed the horse reviver wasn’t enough to recover from that. Fortunately I had just made a manual save as I always do before taking the train.

Also to be clear I hadn’t bought a ticket yet, the train was pulling through the station and my horse just wandered from near the hitching post to just into getting lightly brushed by train range.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

In RDR1, Uncle wears a glove on only his right hand, like Red did.

Rockstar says that the games aren't in the same universe but I've also always thought that he was Red.

yeah I don’t know why they say that when characters in both games make direct references to Revolver including taking about Red Harlow by name

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Doc M posted:

Did we ever figure out why you're not allowed to name your horse "Freckles" in the game? Does that contain a foreign swear word or something?

I Googled a lot of the words on the naughty word list and a lot of the seemingly innocent common nouns are on there because they're really obscure racial slurs. Now I know that the word "eggplant" is offensive.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dogen posted:

My horse slightly brushed a moving train once and indeed the horse reviver wasn’t enough to recover from that. Fortunately I had just made a manual save as I always do before taking the train.

Also to be clear I hadn’t bought a ticket yet, the train was pulling through the station and my horse just wandered from near the hitching post to just into getting lightly brushed by train range.

i pulled up next to a moving train, the horse LOOKED left and his mouth touched the train and insta-killed him

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the train engine does more damage or something because i have had my horse get clipped multiple times by carriages and live through it

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I like that every time I seem to pan the camera back over near my horse I always seem to catch it taking a poo poo. GOTY

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I Googled a lot of the words on the naughty word list and a lot of the seemingly innocent common nouns are on there because they're really obscure racial slurs. Now I know that the word "eggplant" is offensive.

I think I learned that one from season 2 of fargo.

I've never heard of freckles as a slur though. Is it a ginger thing?

cage-free egghead posted:

I like that every time I seem to pan the camera back over near my horse I always seem to catch it taking a poo poo. GOTY

Horses poo poo constantly, it's immersive of the game to represent that. Most pop culture never shows it but it's extremely real

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I’m at the point in the game where I’m cleaning up requirements for 100%, and let me tell you, the Hunting Requests and Exotic quest are tedious as gently caress. Spending hours running around with your binoculars out trying to find specific species of birds to kill...good thing I had a lot of unplayed podcasts to get through.

Also gently caress the American Robin.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

qbert posted:

I’m at the point in the game where I’m cleaning up requirements for 100%, and let me tell you, the Hunting Requests and Exotic quest are tedious as gently caress. Spending hours running around with your binoculars out trying to find specific species of birds to kill...good thing I had a lot of unplayed podcasts to get through.

Also gently caress the American Robin.

I tried to 100% RDR1 and I got extremely close; all I had to do was find some cougars to wrap up a hunting a challenge. Then I accidentally saved over my file and that burned out whatever completionist tendencies I may have had, and I'm glad for it, because I had a lot more fun with this game knowing I wasn't gonna bother with any of that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I tried to 100% RDR1 and I got extremely close; all I had to do was find some cougars to wrap up a hunting a challenge. Then I accidentally saved over my file and that burned out whatever completionist tendencies I may have had, and I'm glad for it, because I had a lot more fun with this game knowing I wasn't gonna bother with any of that stuff.

rdr1 was way more arcadey so 100%'ing wasn't too big of an ask

trying to 100% this game would be a miserable grind maybe only matched by trying to 100% the yakuza games