Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DNA Cowboys posted:

What stops people from shaking the bottle city, filling it with water, or using it in a traveling jug band? My hypothetical players need to know.

I assume the city is immune to shaking, but smashing it or filling it with water would destroy the city.

Edit:gently caress I accidently deleted my next entry.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

MonsterEnvy posted:

I assume the city is immune to shaking, but smashing it or filling it with water would destroy the city.

Edit:gently caress I accidently deleted my next entry.

I assume that filling it with water would cause some flooding but also that you need way more water than you'd think (for a more interesting outcome). And the glass is magically strong. That way the bottle repeatedly showing up safe and sound makes sense, and you get plots like 'the cork is in so we can't get out, but we've sent magical messages to evil allies - they need to go defeat this monster and fetch us from its hoard or at least screw the top on tighter so it's not slowly filling up the bottle with a leak.'

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
More Powers, more problems here in Aberrant.

We start back in with G, and another multiple technique power.

Gravity Control: Level 3, Quantum 4. Another day, another multiple technique power where we get a bunch of ways to control something. This time it’s gravity.

Gravitic Blast: So Gravity Control is legit sort of better than the elemental ones, and here’s one reason why: This is actually just a straight copy of Quantum Bolt, able to do bashing or lethal damage as we decide. In the Elemental powers, we had to take those as separate techniques. Anyway if you’re going to take this power you might as well take the Blast, it has the exact system as the Blasts last time.

Gravitational Field: Alter gravity in an area. You can cause a shift of .5 g per success on a Dexterity + Gravity Control roll. The impact on weight is exactly as simple as you’d expect, multiply their weight by their mass and the new value of g. If you manage to set g to a negative value, things will in fact start falling up until they get out of the field. Living things can try to resist being affected at all by rolling Willpower against this. This is potentially REALLY nasty and not just for making something fly up a few meters into the sky then fall for unpleasantness. It’s just in general disabling as hell. They also note that characters without Gravity Control gain one Strength and Stamina (but not rolling over to Mega, since it doesn’t say to), but lose a Dexterity for being in .6 g or lower. Being in 1.5 g or higher without Gravity Control means you lose two dots of Strength and Dexterity. All the penalties are negated by having Gravity Control, but you get to keep those bonuses in low gravity. It’s harder to fly in high gravity and obviously you’ll fall faster. They’re a bit wibbly wobbly about realizing this but moving in negative gravity except to fall up would be really goddamn hard if you can’t fly, it’s a really great way to disable the poo poo out of people you don’t like.

Gravitic Flight: Use gravity to fake fly. It’s not as fast as normal flight powers, because it’s a kludgy solution to the whole ‘flying’ problem.

Gravitic Shield: This is a super powerful defense, way better than most. It only works on physical attacks, but while it’s active you get several benefits. First, projectiles lose successes equal to your dots in Gravity Control. If you can combo this with some bullshit to make them require extra success this can very, VERY quickly make you nearly impossible to shoot. If they DO hit you with a projectile, you also get to add your Gravity Control to your soak. It’s not as effective against hand-to-hand attacks, only subtracting half your dots (rounded up) from their successes. Still, reducing successes is an even better defense against soak sometimes, don’t need to soak attacks that just plain don’t hit you.

Gravitokinesis: This lets you copy the Telekinesis power we’ll see later, using Dexterity + Gravity Control. It’s not as powerful, though, and requires twice as many successes to get the same effect. Still, once you’ve got all the other techniques why not take it.

Healing: Level 3, Quantum 4. A pretty powerful healing ability overall. Touch someone, spend quantum, heal twice that many bashing levels or that many lethal levels. Boom, done, no need to roll. You can only do it once per person per scene, though, so don’t blow it too soon. Against a poison or disease, you can spend quantum to add 1:1 Resistance dice to assist the target. You can regenerate lost limbs and damaged organs as well, but it costs double quantum and a Willpower. This won’t heal Aggravated damage at all, so be careful about that poo poo.

Holo: Level 2, Quantum 1. This lets you create illusions. These don’t have to be visual, you choose one sense when you pick the power. A Manipulation + Holo roll tells you how convincing the illusion is. An illusion cannot itself cause harm, but it can mask reality such that harm occurs. An Extra can let this affect a second sense, which is always nice. This again requires some creativity to do nasty poo poo with but that always feels better than just abusing the action economy and doing a goddamn billion health levels with mega-strength punches right?

Homunculus: Level 3, Quantum 4. Okay no sorry While Wolf you don’t get to spend a whole loving page on a power that’s WAY too expensive for what it does. You can break off your body parts into individual bits that you can mostly control (if they get too far away then you’re kinda in the poo poo) and if you have four dots in the power you can break yourself into a swarm of insects which is literally the only cool thing this power does. But it’s still poo poo. You might say ‘oh but I bet you can break the action economy’ and yeah I guess if you don’t mind someone being able to hit your split off limb once and then WHOOPS it’s destroyed and I hope you took Healing or the Regeneration Mega-Stamina power because this power doesn’t let you regrow poo poo that you don’t manage to get back to you and re-attach. Seriously no matter how fun and flavorful this is just don’t take it, it’s absolute poo poo.

Hypermovement: Level 2, Quantum 1. You can move super fast. While active you increase the multipliers used to calculate movement rates by 6 per dot. You have to pick Hyperrunning, Hyperswimming, or Hyperflying when you take this. This won’t work on any of the fakey special ways of getting flight, though, only the actual Flight power. You can easily cause poo poo like sonic booms when moving with Hypermovement, and it’s very hard to hit you (add one to the difficulty for each dot while moving). There’s a special attack option you get that models a hyperspeed attack, we’ll talk about that later. Hypermovement is always fun, and it’s not super expensive to have a little. It’s also not giving you extra actions at all.

Hypnosis: Level 1, Quantum 1. Either described as poo poo Domination, or Literally the Hypnotic Gaze Enhancement. You’re allowed to go a bit heavier than the Hypnotic Gaze by rolling Intelligence + Hypnosis vs Willpower, and this does have the advantage of lasting longer than Domination. But you’re much more limited in what you can do even if you get some serious successes, this requires some serious creativity to get good work out of.

Immobilize: Level 2, Quantum 1. This lets you, well, immobilize someone. Spend your quantum, roll Dexterity + Immobilize vs their Dexterity. Each success plus a number of automatic successes equal to your Quantum reduces their Dexterity by 1 (starting with Mega-Dexterity). If their Dexterity goes to zero, they’re immobilized. The target is stuck until they can break out, which requires them to exert an appropriate Attribute (usually Strength, but in practice whatever fits best with how you’ve decided your power manifests). The Immoblize has as much Strength, soak, and ‘health levels’ equal to your Quantum + power rating, and yes its Strength rolls over into Mega Strength for every two levels above 5 it would have. You can’t miss someone who’s fully immobilized, but they do get to add the soak of your Immobilize to their own (and presumably you’ll damage it as well as them). There’s a pair of suggested Extras, one doubles the health and the other makes the soak and health levels not protect the victim. This is a REALLY powerful save-or-die in the right hands, who cares if versions that are super hard to break out of are also good at protecting the target. Just take something like a Mental Blast that doesn’t even let them soak and you won’t even touch your own Immobilize. Or just use it to take targets out of the fight, or even just to slow down some douchebag with a bunch of Dexterity and make them never be able to hit you again. The applications are endless.

Immolate: Level 2, Quantum 2. Monster jam, you’re on fire! Maintain to surround yourself in energy that does either Quantum + (rating x 3) bashing dice or Quantum + (rating x 2) lethal dice when you touch something. This does NOT have to be in exclusion of a regular attack, you just add this effect to your regular damage. Combo with Mega-Strength and Claw and Quickness + Multitasking to become fun-Hitler and drop giant gross lethal pools on any combat encounter you see. One Extra lets you choose between two types of energy which whatever, the other is just mean because this power is specifically allowed to take Aggravated which lets you choose to just do power rating levels of Aggravated damage instead of that other chump poo poo. Then who cares what else you have with it besides as many extra actions as possible.

Intuition: Level 1, Quantum 1. This is an interesting power. First of all, it’s always on and costs nothing. Roll Perception + Intuition, if you succeed the Storyteller has to give you a vague warning as to the presence of danger. The more successes the more you get, but it’s never going to be as good as the superior but more spendy Premonition power we’ll see in another update. Still, Level 1 powers are super cheap so this could be valuable on someone who’s already got good Perception.

Invisibility: Level 2, Quantum 1. This lets you turn yourself invisible, like it says on the box. Roll Wits + Invisibility, add your Quantum to that. People need to beat that on an Awareness roll to detect you, unless they have a special power that lets them see you. If someone doesn’t have some reason to be specifically looking for an invisible person, they don’t even get a roll. If they succeed at the roll, they can attack but have a one die difficulty penalty. This doesn’t cloak you from other senses unless you buy the Enhanced Effect Extra, which adds one obscured sense per success. You need to be naked or only in Eufiber for this to work if you don’t have Attunement. There are a LOT of ways to counter this honestly, it’s not as strong as it could be.

Invulnerability: Level 2, Quantum 1. A permanent and focused power. Choose a form of attack, which has to be reasonably specific (i.e. fire would be okay, but not ‘energy attacks’). Each dot of this gives you 6 extra soak against those attacks, even if they’re aggravated. You can take an Extra to pick a broad category like physical attacks or energy attacks, and if you want to nope out Mega-Strength then congrats this is the way because while yes it’s five dots in a level 3 power (since you need an extra) that’s 30 soak to counter the 25 automatic successes. And they can’t even try and bullshit some way to make those punches aggravated. Still, probably not actually worth it.

We’ll be jumping to L next time, there’s no j’s or k’s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ronwayne posted:

This seems like one of those systems where its a solved game in initially non-obvious ways, but once those ways are discovered, doing suboptimial stuff becomes a deliberate choice on your part.

That's about right. Were I to fall and hit my head in the tub and decide to run it, I would indeed insist on a gentleman's agreement and that's never a good sign for a system. Often happens with supers games, but still never a good sign.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
The first thing we did after an initial foray was remove all the "techniques that basically does another specified power" things from the "X control" powers, and ruled that if you had, say, both quantum bolt and gravity manipulation at the same level, you could opt to use the rules for one or the other. It was kludgy and didn't come close to solving all of aberrant's problems, but it was the most glaring issue to us in the very first game we ran. We had one guy who built a more general telekinetic-ish hero with some quantum bolt, some flight, some defensive shield, and some mega-strength to depict a newish superhero that had a fairly rounded common powerset. Then we had another player want to do a gravitokinetic, and who just bought that up real high since that was the focus of her powers. The gulf in ability was pretty absurd; I remember we calculated it out and figured out that while yes, eventually telekinetic guy could catch up and out perform gravitokinetic girl in those core shooting/flying/defense stats, it would takes months and months worth of xp to do so.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

DNA Cowboys posted:

What stops people from shaking the bottle city, filling it with water, or using it in a traveling jug band? My hypothetical players need to know.

Typically you have to break into the Fortress of Solitude first.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also I should be doing more to point out the terrible german in the Empire book (though it's in such a way that I'm sure it's intentional) and will try to remember to do so in the future.

For example, the lovely tyrant family trying to take over Averland is the Alptraum family. That's German for Nightmare. The woman who had everyone in Streissen hung for trying to be a freistadt is named Ludmilla Nightmare.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I was always fond of Dr. Mordenheim in Ravenloft.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The most glorious noble family in the Empire will always be von Saponatheim.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!

Night10194 posted:

Also I should be doing more to point out the terrible german in the Empire book (though it's in such a way that I'm sure it's intentional) and will try to remember to do so in the future.

For example, the lovely tyrant family trying to take over Averland is the Alptraum family. That's German for Nightmare. The woman who had everyone in Streissen hung for trying to be a freistadt is named Ludmilla Nightmare.

Hi I'm Friedrich Alptraum-Nachtmahr, of the Todeslager Nachtmahrs, a Neuntoter on my mother's side...

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Dawgstar posted:

That's about right. Were I to fall and hit my head in the tub and decide to run it, I would indeed insist on a gentleman's agreement and that's never a good sign for a system. Often happens with supers games, but still never a good sign.

The thing is I see some interesting parts in there its just that I see too much turn-of-the-century era White Wolf, specifically 1st edition Exalted (mechanical clunk, high power level, general "You are an uncontrollable obnoxious man-child destined to blow up the world", etc)

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

DNA Cowboys posted:

The text does not specify defenses for these things, but given that it was adrift in the ocean for quite some time I presume the inhabitants built architectural or magical counterbalances if it would be a problem.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

HerraS posted:

The most glorious noble family in the Empire will always be von Saponatheim.

Soap home? And I'm told that one of the antagonists is a dude named "Lord Dentist", so who's that?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Getting information on him out of Games Workshop is like pulling teeth.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

darthbob88 posted:

Soap home? And I'm told that one of the antagonists is a dude named "Lord Dentist", so who's that?

:v: say von Saponatheim out loud

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HerraS posted:

:doh:

That's terrible.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

1st Edition material is a treasure trove of names so dumb you can't but chuckle at them.

Hell, there's a minor villain in TEW whose name is straight up Goebbels.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!
I noticed that in CJ Carella's Armageddon, the Antichrist's name is Goring. Seems like an on-the-nose choice, considering there really aren't any famous Goring/Goering's besides ol' Hermann and his brother who covertly helped people escape the Nazis.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HerraS posted:

I'm convinced that these kinds of groaning puns were designed to catch out GMs at the table who don't notice the pronunciation before saying it out loud to their players.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Could be worse, there's a minor Punisher villain named General Kriegkopf.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HerraS posted:

idgi :saddowns:

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Once upon a time

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Once upon a time I explained a joke about von Saponatheim.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I see. For me -theim and -time just don't make the same sound.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Angrymog posted:

It's not exact. Like most dumb wordplay jokes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Angrymog posted:

Wasn't just you, wasn't obvious with my syllable emphasis/pronunciation either.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So once I get off my rear end and resume the 2e AD&D review, and then finish it, I got my hands on a Pathfinder product called Legacy of Fire, entirely because I was told it was some really weird Magical Realm poo poo from Paizo involving non-consensual mpreg and the like.

quote:

<????> I played one of their modules, it involved monsters lactating black milk
<????> also sewing up people in monster wombs

I truly look forward to this exciting adventure, because it sounds like a loving 2e Exalted Infernals crossover.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

We really do need a :yikes: + :barf: emoji

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

DNA Cowboys posted:

Scale. As you pour the water in, it scales down and creates a small puddle on some backward street. If you pour another portion in, it splashes a local master assasin and ruins his brand new silken tunic..

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Open the bottle and hold it under the surface of the local river.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The next campaign, you play the tiny survivors of the bottle city out for revenge.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

So once I get off my rear end and resume the 2e AD&D review, and then finish it, I got my hands on a Pathfinder product called Legacy of Fire, entirely because I was told it was some really weird Magical Realm poo poo from Paizo involving non-consensual mpreg and the like.

I truly look forward to this exciting adventure, because it sounds like a loving 2e Exalted Infernals crossover.

I played this campaign. I don't remember a whole hell of a lot of it, save that two of our characters(frost bomb-throwing alchemist, and a gnoll who used a freezing burst scimitar) were completely useless in the last book thanks to Paizo randomly deciding that a bunch of monsters vulnerable to cold damage were suddenly resistant (if not flat-out immune) to it, and that during the end guy fight, the DM randomly decided that the surviving PCs lost the fight after three rounds of combat. For some unknown reason that just completely defies logic and common sense, he read the author's comment that he "wanted the PCs to lose the final fight" and made up a rule whole-cloth where the PCs had 1d6 rounds to finish the fight.

The other two players I was with complained enough that the DM changed his mind after a literal half-hour long argument. Didn't matter so much to me; my alchemist got killed about a round and a half into the fight.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How does a GM see a back half of the campaign wherein everything is immune to two PCs and not either offer to alter the elements on their weapons or alter the enemy vulnerabilities.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Night10194 posted:

How does a GM see a back half of the campaign wherein everything is immune to two PCs and not either offer to alter the elements on their weapons or alter the enemy vulnerabilities.
There are a lot of very bad DMs out there, and it sounds like this one was very "by-the-book" here.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

except for the add on 'win in X turns', this sounds like the guy who thinks the DM's job is to "Win"

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Tibalt posted:

There are a lot of very bad DMs out there, and it sounds like this one was very "by-the-book" here.

Robindaybird posted:

except for the add on 'win in X turns', this sounds like the guy who thinks the DM's job is to "Win"

He isn't very good at DMing D&D. He did pretty all right when he ran Star Trek Adventures last week (but to be fair, the pre-published STA adventure I ran sucked rear end.)

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Night10194 posted:

A) someone new the hobby and genuinely unsure of their ability to modify / improvise content, so they adhere to the rules in the adventure like they were delivered from the divine on stone tablets
B) someone that takes great delight in being an adversarial GM and gets an illicit thrill from punishing players for making a suboptimal choice in the past, despite the fact that they had no way of knowing they were making the wrong choice when the choice was presented

one of those people might be worth hanging on with, provided they've got an active interest in learning to improve. the other is a lost cause and the faster you can cut that kind of BS out of your hobby time, the happier you will be

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Alright, more Aberrant Powers, let’s see how far we can get today.

Luck: Level 1, Quantum 1. This is a permanent power that makes you just generally more lucky. Once per scene you can ask to roll your Luck. You’re not guaranteed to be allowed to do it, though. Every success on the roll will give you some bonuses depending on your situation. In combat you get to add one automatic success per success to your attack or defense rolls (or split them between the two) for a turn. For a normal Ability use, you get to use your Luck successes as automatic success on a roll. Backgrounds can also benefit from Luck, in the same way. If you botch a Luck roll, though, you’re in gently caress city. For a full scene you’ll be unlucky, and botch if you get no success and roll either a 1 or a 2 on any die. This is a bit limited and risky, though automatic success is always nice I guess.

Magnetic Mastery: Level 3, Quantum 4. Another day, another Mastery power with multiple techniques. This one makes you Magneto, and always lets you attempt to Block a metal attack with Dexterity + Magnetic Mastery which is kinda nice. At least this one has a few sorta unique techniques I guess? There’s also a million of these, way more than you can take even at 5 dots.

EMP: Emit an EMP to disrupt electronic equipment. Roll your Wits + Magnetic Mastery against the “Stamina” of the device, a measure of how well shielded it is. Each net success disables the device for an hour, though minor and fragile devices may simply be destroyed.

Magnetic Blast: A bashing-only Quantum Blast effect. This one’s a pretty good example of a Power that makes literally no sense and just works because you’re basically magic. At least we’re not supposed to believe you can cause a lethal effect by just shooting magnetism at someone.

Magnetic Field: You create an intense magnetic field with Wits + Magnetic Mastery, the successes will add one to the difficulty of anything involving electronic equipment. No idea why this needs to exist when you have EMP but whatever.

Magnetic Levitation: You can sorta poo poo fly, just like the gravity one.

Magnetic Shield: While this is active, subtract your dots in Magnetic Mastery from the successes of any attack using a metal weapon of any kind. A solid defense when it applies, but it’s a bit more limited than some of the others.

Magnetic Storm: Fling a bunch of metal poo poo around. Everyone in the area loses two dice form all their pools and takes twice the power rating in bashing every turn. If the magnetic objects in the area are especially unpleasant, this could do lethal.

Magnetize: Magnetically charge ferrous metal objects. They’ll project an effective Might equal to your Quantum + the successes on a Dexterity + Magnetic Mastery roll. This is stronger than it seems, you could really get some poo poo stuck if you do it right. Still, why are you taking any of this bullshit when you could just evaporate fools?

Magnetokinesis: Telekinesis but only on metal objects. It’s a shame literally all these magnetic mastery techniques are kinda poo poo.

Matter Chameleon: Level 3, Quantum 5. This power lets you take on the properties of any material you touch. Use the power, touch the material, roll Stamina + Matter Chameleon. If you get any successes, then the power works. Nothing this power gives you can exceed the material’s normal properties or three times the rating of this power. If you keep some cool poo poo on hand, you could keep doing crazy poo poo like turning into diamond. Note that you can do poo poo like turning into energy, which is nice. You can use this to try and assume the properties of an attack as it hits you. If you don’t have a delayed action available, you will need to spend a Willpower. Then you spend your quantum and roll Stamina + Matter Chameleon. Even one success allows you to assume the properties, and you’ll suffer one less damage from the attack per success. This is a strong power in its versatility but you need to be creative, again.

Matter Creation: Level 3, Quantum 5. This lets you just make poo poo out of nothingness. Raw materials are easy, just roll Wits + Matter Creation and you’ll get more the more successes you roll. If you want something complex, complexity makes you need more successes while size adds difficulty. Objects are temporary, and cost a point of permanent Willpower to make permanent which I’m not really sure about. I’d be nicer about it, honestly.

Mental Blast: Level 2, Quantum 3. Mind blast a motherfucker. Roll Intelligence + Mental Blast resisted by Willpower. Each success inflicts a level of bashing damage, no soaking this poo poo. If they’re out of bashing levels, this starts rolling over into lethal. If you’re a cheating cheater you ignore that the entry has a soft implication that you shouldn’t be able to add an Extra to make this Aggravated and just do it. This isn’t a terrible power but just doesn’t do a ton of damage most of the time sadly.

Mirage: Level 2, Quantum 3. This is kind of like Holo, but instead of generating an actual phenomenon you instead just make someone believe they’re seeing something. Roll Manipulation + Mirage against Willpower, more successes makes a more convincing illusion. This illusion works on multiple senses and is able to inflict damage on the target if you have achieved at least three net successes (though the damage will only be a Stun effect, not even bashing). You do have to try and be consistent with reality, though, if your illusion is obviously bullshit they’ll get a Perception vs Intelligence + Mirage roll to try and break out. A potentially very strong power, definitely better than Holo.

Molecular Manipulation: Level 3, Quantum 5. This lets you gently caress around with unliving matter. You can spend a quantum to roll Perception + Molecular Manipulation to identify a substance. Let’s look at the techniques, see how lazy they are this time.

Animation: This lets you animate objects, giving them a semblance of life. Roll Manipulation + Molecular Manipulation, and animate one object of about human size per success (or larger objects with more combined successes). The objects have the Strength score you’d expect from their composition and Dexterity equal to your Wits. You can also do things like make guns shoot, for example. It’s pretty cool, go all sorceror’s apprentice.

Destruction: Destroy unliving stuff. Roll Dexterity + Molecular Manipulation to hit, then inflict Quantum + Molecular Manipulation levels of damage to the object. Materials can have soak against this, but that is definitely a lot of damage.

Molecular Alteration: Turn one type of thing into another type of thing. What you can do depends on the successes you roll. One lets you change the substance, two lets you change the size. Three lets you change the shape, and four lets you change the complexity. The changes are as temporary as those from Matter Creation, but it’s at least easier to use since you need actual matter to start with.

Second Skin: Harden the air around you to go all Greed, getting + 2 soak for each dot in the power.

Shape Alteration: This is a power just for changing the shape of existing matter. It’s way better at doing that than Molecular Alteration I suppose. Still kind of weird that they’re reduplicating this much.

Poison: Level 2, Quantum 1. You can poison and disease people with a touch. You roll Stamina + Poison and add your Quantum to the successes. You can do Stun Attack, bashing, or lethal damage, or subtract from the victim’s die pools. One success converts into a Stun Attack damage, two into a bashing level or a die reduction, and three into a lethal. Diseases are a resisted roll against Resistance, the more successes you get the worse a disease. You can spit this poo poo with an Extra too. I’m a fan, in principle, though this is hardly the most efficient offense.

Premonition: Level 2, Quantum 1. This is like Intuition, but stronger. You spend your quantum for the scene, and then any time you’re going to run into danger you may make a Perception + Premonition roll to detect it. The difficulty of the roll is related to how severe and direct the danger is, with both being easier to detect. You don’t get an idea what exactly the danger is, though, only that it exists and about where it will be coming from. With an extra you can also detect danger to people near you. This is a pretty sweet power in some circumstances, though it’s kind of a lot to keep track of when you’ve got it active sometimes.

Pretercognition: Level 3, Quantum 4. Predict the future and see the past. More successes let you see farther forward or back. This lets you poo poo all over any mystery and just in general be really annoying. Visions of the past are probably accurate but the future is not necessarily more than a likely possible outcome. There’s basically no systems for how to handle something like that either, good luck. Maybe just don’t even let anyone take this.

Psychic Shield: Level 1, Quantum 1. A permanent power that makes you harder to affect with mental powers. Just add two extra successes per dot to your roll to resist any of them, no fuss no muss. This doesn’t work on empathic poo poo, though, only direct mind attacks. With an Extra you can also extend it to people you’re touching. A bit limited but very strong, extra successes on a resisted action are loving amazing.

We’re going to Q next time, which is pretty rich since there’s a lot of Quantum <x> powers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

A) someone new the hobby and genuinely unsure of their ability to modify / improvise content, so they adhere to the rules in the adventure like they were delivered from the divine on stone tablets

A is why making pre-mades that do a good job of teaching the rules is such an important aspect of pre-made design, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Night10194 posted:

A is why making pre-mades that do a good job of teaching the rules is such an important aspect of pre-made design, I think.

yeah, transparency in system design in general is something that's extremely important to me now, having played TTRPGs for multiple decades. i think we could go one step further and hope for pre-mades that not only teach the potential players how the game is played, but also teach a potential why a game was made a certain way, essentially teaching them how to be a GM for a given game. sometimes books will tell GMs "If you/your players aren't having fun, absolutely feel free to change anything/everything about the rules so that the fun can resume" which is a great sentiment, but if you're truly new to a system (or new to being a GM) that doesn't really give you any clear indication about what you should change, or how you should change it.

i think it'd be cool for pre-mades to treat GMs like they're brand new too, and have explicit suggestions about how to alter content. "Does you player group lack a healer? Omit monster A and monster C from this encounter. Does your player group lack elemental damage? Don't have monster B use its damage immunity power. Did your player group try to resolve the encounter with dialogue instead? The monsters are persuaded by X, Y and Z and are willing to trade for anything of similar value."