Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

bewbies posted:

There was one good thing about living in El Paso and that was pork adobado/adovado/however you spell it. I would like to recreate this dish

does this look like a good starting point?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/carne-adovada-adobada-chili-braised-pork-recipe.html

It has raisins what do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you dont taste them in the final product

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Raisins don't belong in actual food. Just cereal and fruit cake.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I placed first in my category (traditional no beans) yet lost overall to someone else from the same category. My coworkers voting make no sense!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ranter posted:

I placed first in my category (traditional no beans) yet lost overall to someone else from the same category. My coworkers voting make no sense!

No one actually knows what makes good chili. Anywhere. Not even this thread. For example, one of my coworkers only ever seems to cook with habanero peppers as a base. It's those or spicier and nothing milder. I can respect that, but, come on. Anyway, a couple months ago, they brought in some of their left over chili. I didn't get to try it, but all the other coworkers who did had uh... stomach issues with it. So I went and made some Iron Leg(I guess it's now theysayheygreg?) chili, dolled it up a bit more with some 80% dark chocolate, a really light, malty, local octoberfest beer, and just subbed the whole tomatoes for an equal amount of diced fire roasted tomatoes with garlic, and added a bit of fish sauce for umami. The coworkers tasted it, and I think they were more perplexed than anything else by it. They didn't hate it, but I think they didn't know chili could have things like depth of flavor and texture. The guy who loves habaneros wa blown away that chili didn't have to be hell-scorching hot to taste good. My supervisor, who had *judged* chili cook offs previously, didn't know what to make of it. I'm not bragging here, it was legitimately a bit concerning that so many people were just thrown for a loop over this chili.

Nobody knows what the hell.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It’s almost like if you want to win a chili competition at work you should cater to the tastes of the judges instead of trying to persuade them that your chili is the best because it’s so much more right than anyone else’s.

I get it, we all like to show off our cooking skills and sophisticated tastes, but you have to pitch to your audience if you want to win.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

No one actually knows what makes good chili. Anywhere. Not even this thread.

tomatoes

Yeah good point

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm gonna make some chili tomorrow, its gonna be good :gritin:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Whalley posted:

Yeah good point

Yeah, exactly, thank you.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I won twice in row in the preceding years with the same recipe. My confusion was that I won my category, the judges (coworkers) voted my chili the best no bean chili, but then gave the best overall to someone else in the same category. Logically, my competitor should have won my category too. I wasn't lamenting on their tastes, they have been spot on the last 2 years (when I won them). The plaque posted on the last page was me.

I just heard from my boss that he overheard 2 coworkers asking which one was mine so that they wouldn't vote for it because they wanted to give someone else a 'turn at winning'.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 18, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ranter posted:

I won twice in row in the preceding years with the same recipe. My confusion was that I won my category, the judges (coworkers) voted my chili the best no bean chili, but then gave the best overall to someone else in the same category. Logically, my competitor should have won my category too. I wasn't lamenting on their tastes, they have been spot on the last 2 years (when I won them). The plaque posted on the last page was me.

I just heard from my boss that he overheard 2 coworkers asking which one was mine so that they wouldn't vote for it because they wanted to give someone else a 'turn at winning'.

You aren't gonna let them get away with this are you?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ranter posted:

My confusion was that I won my category, the judges (coworkers) voted my chili the best no bean chili, but then gave the best overall to someone else in the same category. Logically, my competitor should have won my category too.

This is faulty logic. Theirs might not have been as good at being a traditional Texas style chili, thus didn't win your category, but it may have been more pleasing overall to the judges' tastes, thus winning the overall.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Are you sure you didn't overdo the chocolate? If you put too much in, it starts tasting less like chili and more like mole which would elicit a very confused response for someone expecting to eat chili.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Are you sure you didn't overdo the chocolate? If you put too much in, it starts tasting less like chili and more like mole which would elicit a very confused response for someone expecting to eat chili.

Nah, I threw 4 squares of a bar of lindt's that I had in the freezer into something like 4 or 5 quarts of chili. All told, I'd say it was maybe a tablespoon and a half of chocolate? Just enough to get a very slight bittersweet note in the background at the very end.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
What I love about chili is that it’s better after a day or 2 in the fridge, so you can make a big pot the night before a party. Great food with zero effort on party day

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Any suggestions for a chili that is way spicier than I was planning? Its been cooking for 2 hours and I did a taste test to check on the flavor and it was way spicier than I expected, I guess those dried chili arbols had more kick in them than I remembered

I added some molasses, but I was wondering what other suggestions people have for it

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

The Glumslinger posted:

Any suggestions for a chili that is way spicier than I was planning? Its been cooking for 2 hours and I did a taste test to check on the flavor and it was way spicier than I expected, I guess those dried chili arbols had more kick in them than I remembered

I added some molasses, but I was wondering what other suggestions people have for it
I used arbols too and thought it was gonna be hella spicy at that point but after cooking 4+ hours and then leaving it in the fridge overnight the spice really mellowed out to just a slight kick

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Citrus juice can help cool it down.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Take out half the cooking liquid and replace it with stock and reseason.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

There was one good thing about living in El Paso and that was pork adobado/adovado/however you spell it. I would like to recreate this dish

does this look like a good starting point?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/carne-adovada-adobada-chili-braised-pork-recipe.html

this was outstanding

used way less OJ and raisins than it called for. gravy was fantastic. was a bit greasy, would use a pork loin next time vice a butt.

make this if you want to change it up from chili con carne and or want tacos

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I added some more molasses and some pureed tomatoes and that seems to have gotten everything back to the preferred flavor profile. I pureed the initial batch of peppers (fresh serranos and poblanos, rehydrated chipotles and arbols) I put in there, so I can't really swap out the liquid.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Doom Rooster posted:

This is faulty logic. Theirs might not have been as good at being a traditional Texas style chili, thus didn't win your category, but it may have been more pleasing overall to the judges' tastes, thus winning the overall.

I must be very stupid because I don't understand. The category was 'no beans'. You're saying this makes sense logically if the voters felt that it was in the wrong category? Hm ok.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ranter posted:

I must be very stupid because I don't understand. The category was 'no beans'. You're saying this makes sense logically if the voters felt that it was in the wrong category? Hm ok.

Say there are two lists. Best Punk Band and Best Band. Now Green Day could potentially appear on both lists. Let's say the best punk band was the Ramones. They just beat the pants off of Green Day. It's still entirely possible that Green Day appears higher on the Best Band list, especially if that's judged by total album sales or weeks at #1 or number of times their songs get played at prom. The suggestion would be that there's a different metric for best overall chili than there is for best no bean chili. Maybe No Beans gets judged (privately and subjectively) on meatiness, overall spice, and thickness while Best Overall is judged (again subjectively and privately) on balance, spice, and texture. There'll be some overlap there, but it doesn't necessarily imply that the best no beans is the best overall.

That being said, it's a strictly philosophical point. I think you're right that it's likely winner fatigue.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
So, I'm aware this is going to be sacrilege to many of you and get me some hate, but does anyone else use MSG in their chili? I used to knock it a lot but then I started trying it and it does wonders with meaty dishes like chili. That and Carolina Reapers (used with great care)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BedBuglet posted:

So, I'm aware this is going to be sacrilege to many of you and get me some hate, but does anyone else use MSG in their chili? I used to knock it a lot but then I started trying it and it does wonders with meaty dishes like chili. That and Carolina Reapers (used with great care)

MSG is loving great and I love using it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BedBuglet posted:

It adds oomph. I dress my chilli with fish sauce at the end if it's lacking depth, works a charm. MSG is the same thing but without the risk of your house smelling like a cat's expressed anal glands. The two smells are remarkably similar.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Forgot to post this, I added way too many Arbol Chiles, but it was still really good

It's got chorizo, short rib, and Chuck steak in it

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

too many Arbol Chiles
:confused:

Every chili I make, either Arbol or Guajillo is the primary pepper flavor. Ain't no such thing as too many.

That looks loving beautiful

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

BedBuglet posted:

MSG is fantastic in Chili and all the health concerns about it are completely bogus as far as I know

The Glumslinger posted:

Forgot to post this, I added way too many Arbol Chiles, but it was still really good

It's got chorizo, short rib, and Chuck steak in it
Did the rib meat make it greasy? That’d be my concern

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

The last time I did short rib chili I cut off as much fat as possible and the results were great.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

MSG is fantastic in Chili and all the health concerns about it are completely bogus as far as I know

I skimmed some of the grease off while cooking, cant really say if it was from the shortribs or the chorizo

The issue with Arbols was that I put way too many in and even after adding more tomatoes and molasses, it was still really hot for me and barely edible to my friends

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The last time I did short rib chili I cut off as much fat as possible and the results were great.

Agree here. I haven't had too much problems with short ribs, but if you use something like country cut boneless pork ribs, you definitely want to trim the fat. I think skimming tends to cut down the spiciness a bit, given the fat solubility of capsaicin.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've done short rib chili many times and it comes out great. Only problem is the price.

Used to be a buffalo meat vendor at the farmer's market near my old place that had these giant buffalo short ribs, they were perfect for chili.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Hello chilli goons. Im a lousy UK dweller and when im not worrying about brexit or fighting chavs down my local town centre I like to make chilli.

I've just acquired a bunch of dried Mexican chillis which are

Ancho
Pasilla
Mulato
Guajillo
De Arbol
Cascabel
Pecan Smoked Chipotle

So, which ones should I put in my chilli, I'm assuming the correct answer is all of them but I would imagine that would mean they all cancel another out flavour wise, so what should I do goons

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

hitchensgoespop posted:

Hello chilli goons. Im a lousy UK dweller and when im not worrying about brexit or fighting chavs down my local town centre I like to make chilli.

I've just acquired a bunch of dried Mexican chillis which are

Ancho
Pasilla
Mulato
Guajillo
De Arbol
Cascabel
Pecan Smoked Chipotle

So, which ones should I put in my chilli, I'm assuming the correct answer is all of them but I would imagine that would mean they all cancel another out flavour wise, so what should I do goons

Guajillo and Pasilla both give dried fruit kind of flavors, so I'd just pick one or the other. Ancho is a good middle ground between them and a more bright spice like De Arbol, and the Chipotles are going to have an obviously very smoky flavor. I have no experience with Mulato or Cascabel.

My chili paste is usually 60% guajillo, 20% ancho or arbol, and 20% chipotle, with apple cider vinegar and coffee to bring out bitter and acid. I'd say just soak one chili each in hot water for ten minutes or so, then do some small tastes of the chili teas to get a feel for their flavors, then start mixing the waters together until you have a combo you like.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Cascabels are really fruity.

Anchos and Mulatos are both really dark and raisiny, so I would pick only one of them. Ancho is a more traditional flavor, but Mulatos are great and still pretty similar.

Personally, my mix would be:

Ancho
Pasilla
Chipotle
Arbol

The arbol are mainly about heat, so if you want a milder chili, the chipotle will cover a nice warm spice. If you want spicier, add arbol.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 18, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've become an advocate of simplicity in chile selection.

Guajillo as the base, for fruitiness
Ancho for chile-ness
Cayenne (or arbol) for heat

...that's it.

I think dried chipotles add too much smoke and bitter, use the stuff in the can.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Nice one chaps

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bewbies posted:

I've become an advocate of simplicity in chile selection.

Guajillo as the base, for fruitiness
Ancho for chile-ness
Cayenne (or arbol) for heat

...that's it.

I think dried chipotles add too much smoke and bitter, use the stuff in the can.

Def agree on all points, with one objection. Canned chipotle are way better, with San Marcos brand being the best I have found, but... If my option is dried chipotle or no chipotle, I definitely still want some in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

bewbies posted:

I think dried chipotles add too much smoke and bitter

I prefer them to the stuff soaked in corn syrup for that reason. The flavor is more pure and they are easier to use without the extra poo poo in the adobo.