Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I can see the Rosa Parks episode working if they play it as it's a fixed point in history that someone's trying to disrupt to change history, and The Doctor and her friends are running around in the background to make sure the plans fail with any of the principal characters (Rosa, etc) knowing that they are there.

But they probably won't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Aliens are trying to change history to make Rosa Parks more successful. Racism is gone by 1980, but this leads to a nuclear war by 2022. Can the Doctor and her friends join the side of the racists to keep racism alive in the US for another 50 years? Find out on the exciting new episode of Doctor Who, Rosa!"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Astroman posted:

"Aliens are trying to change history to make Rosa Parks more successful. Racism is gone by 1980, but this leads to a nuclear war by 2022. Can the Doctor and her friends join the side of the racists to keep racism alive in the US for another 50 years? Find out on the exciting new episode of Doctor Who, Rosa!"

That's still what I wish the plot of Victory of the Daleks had basically been, that the Daleks had determined the way to make humanity easier to defeat in the future was to undo the post-WW2 tech boom by ending the war earlier and helping the Allies defeat the Nazis.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I feel like any attempt at “someone’s trying to disrupt Rosa Parks’ protest and only The Doctor can help!” is going to come across as a really gross attempt at inserting your fictional character into an extremely sensitive and important historical matter. I don’t think there’s a writer alive skilled enough to pull that off.

Counterpoint: in the 2004 Stephen King novel Song Of Susannah(set at some point in the 1990s I think), the main characters find themselves unable to destroy an evil magical object, so they store it in a lockbox in New York. They joke that maybe the object would be destroyed if the whole building they're storing it in fell on it, then it's revealed they stored it in one of the Twin Towers

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why not just set it after the bus?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I can see the Rosa Parks episode working way better with the current cast than it ever would have with a white male Doctor and white companions. Having a perfect 50/50 ratio of white/non-white, male/female crew will make it less patronizing no matter what.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
So long as someone doesn't say "You're a credit to your race" and have one of our heroes throw shade with a "Y-You too" then it's better than I imagine.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3r8KN17wP0

The reason why this works so well is that these heroes are artificially jacked up with 1950s Bullshit, and aren't how they REALLY are

And Green Lantern BARELY tolerates that regardless

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

2house2fly posted:

Counterpoint: in the 2004 Stephen King novel Song Of Susannah(set at some point in the 1990s I think), the main characters find themselves unable to destroy an evil magical object, so they store it in a lockbox in New York. They joke that maybe the object would be destroyed if the whole building they're storing it in fell on it, then it's revealed they stored it in one of the Twin Towers

That really was a dumb book.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
A White Time Lord Set Them Free

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Martin Luther King was a Zygon.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Martin Luther King was a Zygon.

Don't be silly.
He was a Rutan.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Oh boy, there's a credited actor playing MLK in the episode.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

TinTower posted:

That'd be the first since Black Orchid, yeah?

Sure, if you only count :airquote: televised episodes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like all of Who fandom is sucking air through its teeth in apprehension at this episode. 😬

Yeah, definitely. I'm just going to prepare to cringe and hope that I'm wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ep 5 &6 summary:

The Tsuranga Conundrum

“RISK TO LIFE: ABSOLUTE.”

Injured and stranded in the wilds of a far-flung galaxy, The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan must band together with a group of strangers to survive against one of the universe’s most deadly — and unusual — creatures.

Guest Stars:

Suzanne Packer
Ben Bailey Smith
Brett Goldstein
Lois Chimimba

Demons of the Punjab

“WHAT’S THE POINT OF HAVING A MATE WITH A TIME MACHINE, IF YOU CAN’T NIP BACK AND SEE YOUR GRAN WHEN SHE WAS YOUNGER?”

India, 1947. The Doctor and her friends arrive in the Punjab, as the country is being torn apart. While Yaz attempts to discover her grandmother’s hidden history, the Doctor discovers demons haunting the land. Who are they and what do they want?

Guest starring Shane Zaza, Amita Suman and Hamza Jeetooa. Written by Vinay Patel. Directed by Jamie Childs.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
So an entire episode about Yas' gran in the past? That's kind of insensitive to Ryan, no?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oh look, another "Universe's Most Deadly Race Ever For Real We Swear This Time"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Next episode synopsis. Not on Earth then.

“Delivery for the Doctor!” A mysterious message arrives in a package addressed to the Doctor, leading her, Graham, Yaz and Ryan to investigate the warehouse moon orbiting Kandoka, and the home of the galaxy’s largest retailer: Kerblam!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Also, New Years Day special synopsis, which is vague at best, but does reveal Team TARDIS is still together.

quote:

As the New Year begins, a terrifying evil is stirring from across the centuries of Earth’s history. As the Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz return home, will they be able to overcome the threat to planet Earth?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Clip from the next episode. Features a pretty good gag.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/11/doctor-who-episodes-nine-and-ten.html

Looking forward to Kevin Eldon playing a non-animated character in Doctor Who.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BSam posted:

Now I'm gonna have the It's Kevin theme song stuck in my head

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BSam posted:

The Actor Kevin Eldon?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C2Jmg82_1g

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

By the time this season's over I really hope someone puts together a "13th Doctor Weird Noises" supercut. Because she's just adorable when she's excited or confused by things.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Still me? :allears:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Actor Kevin Eldon?

no, the pope kevin eldon

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Dabir posted:

no, the pope kevin eldon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKvAKef3vno

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So, the next episode looked like it’s not a pure historical like was rumoured. :smith:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dabir posted:

no, the pope kevin eldon

also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04NfM2s-zc8

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Ah yes, I remember his sitcom days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpcL9plQS_A

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

So, the next episode looked like it’s not a pure historical like was rumoured. :smith:

I really hope it isn't another story about evil witches actually existing during witch-hunt hysteria.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

"The problem isn't the witch hunts, it's the fact that witches like you are terrorising these poor communities".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gravastars posted:

"The problem isn't the witch hunts, it's the fact that witches like you are terrorising these poor communities".

lol

The Doctor admonishes the witches with a stern warning that it isn't McCarthy who's the problem, it's how people use McCarthy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ultimately, the important lesson learnt was that the witches were equally culpable for the pain they suffered. If only they'd expressed their minority cultural practices in socially acceptable ways, then this whole witch pricking, lady burning, mob justice escapade could have been completely avoided. Oh well, at least no one of consequence was hurt.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully King James will learn the valuable lesson that time wasted on witches could have been better spent on Catholics.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

BSam posted:

Ah yes, I remember his sitcom days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpcL9plQS_A

I'll give it to Charlie Brooker, he did capture the BBC Three sitcom style perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US6Gqerlc3s

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Rumor right now is that the New Year special is going to feature the return of the Daleks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m intrigued by the talk of losing the bronzed look.