Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nur_Neerg posted:

I made a bread or two!

Also I am terrible at plaiting.

I'd challah at that any day of the week!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Anyone have a go-to dinner roll recipe they like? Thinking of making something fresh for Thanksgiving to bring along.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

These are pretty great. If you put them all in a square or rectangle pan and let them all bake up against each other they are like the store bought brown and serve rolls. Just little squishy carb bombs that are perfect for this time of year.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/soft-white-dinner-rolls-recipe
The dough is good for cinnamon rolls too:btroll:

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I committed to 3 separate Thanksgivings worth of dinner rolls and planned to use King Arthur’s sourdough version, but apparently NOBODY carries potato flour around here. Luckily that non-sourdough recipe Thumposaurus posted is basically the exact same but with instant potatoes instead. Didn’t know that was a viable alternative.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
I'm making some dinner rolls as well for Thanksgiving. I made an initial batch today since I haven't made bread in a long time and I need the practice. I mixed the ingredients and kneaded the dough by hand for about 7 minutes. I left the dough in a greased bowl, covered it and let it rise for about 1 hr 20 min. However, it didn't really expand as much as I'd hoped it would. I think it's because my condo is quite cold, and I couldn't find a good, warm spot to let the dough expand. I can't really warm up the place either, since I would have to put the heater on ridiculously high and I don't really want to do that.

Any tips for letting dough rise when you've got a cold house? Does it just take more time in a cold room? I also considered turning my oven on briefly, turning it off and letting the bowl sit in the oven, but that's not ideal.

Edit: Here's the recipe I'm using, if it helps-
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/soft-buttermilk-dinner-rolls/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Vinny the Shark posted:

I'm making some dinner rolls as well for Thanksgiving. I made an initial batch today since I haven't made bread in a long time and I need the practice. I mixed the ingredients and kneaded the dough by hand for about 7 minutes. I left the dough in a greased bowl, covered it and let it rise for about 1 hr 20 min. However, it didn't really expand as much as I'd hoped it would. I think it's because my condo is quite cold, and I couldn't find a good, warm spot to let the dough expand. I can't really warm up the place either, since I would have to put the heater on ridiculously high and I don't really want to do that.

Any tips for letting dough rise when you've got a cold house? Does it just take more time in a cold room? I also considered turning my oven on briefly, turning it off and letting the bowl sit in the oven, but that's not ideal.

Turn on the oven light and put the dough in.

I've also briefly turned on the oven like you described, it worked fine.

Bread question, when I form a loaf I tend to end up with a seam running along the bottom of the loaf and up inside it, which makes it want to split when I slice it. It feels like the act of forming a boule is conducive to that dough-butthole on the bottom, so what should I try to avoid it?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Vinny the Shark posted:

I boil some water in the microwave then pop the dough in with it. Keeps it warm and humid.

I did a test run on my dinner rolls as well, pretty pleased with the result. I was going to bring them to a family get-together tonight but my wife convinced me we should keep them for lunches this week. “They’ll get them on Thursday!”

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Turn on the oven light and put the dough in.

I've also briefly turned on the oven like you described, it worked fine.

Bread question, when I form a loaf I tend to end up with a seam running along the bottom of the loaf and up inside it, which makes it want to split when I slice it. It feels like the act of forming a boule is conducive to that dough-butthole on the bottom, so what should I try to avoid it?

are you using a lot of flour when you shape?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hell Yeah posted:

are you using a lot of flour when you shape?

Probably this, but also how long from shaping to going into the oven? If the dough is still pretty moist any flour 'up in the butt' should just incorporate given a bit of time, maybe give your boules another 30-45 minutes before baking?

With the Forkish method the bottom of the boule become the top anyway, so that natural seam just becomes an attractive organic split in the crust.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

These are pretty great. If you put them all in a square or rectangle pan and let them all bake up against each other they are like the store bought brown and serve rolls. Just little squishy carb bombs that are perfect for this time of year.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/soft-white-dinner-rolls-recipe
The dough is good for cinnamon rolls too:btroll:

I made these over the weekend and they were just what I was looking for. A little denser than the super fluffy hawaiian rolls but still sweet and buttery. They did come out looking a little weird because I really struggled with portioning + shaping. After the first rise the dough was a little... tough? It just kind of held its shape and resisted rolling in to a ball from the hard edges that I cut when portioning.

Probably give them another try tonight as I can't risk loving it up for Thanksgiving. I'd never live it down.

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?
Not sure about your tough dough, but in case you didn't know a neat trick for portioning is simply rolling the bulk dough into a log and splitting in half, and then splitting those halves in half, and so on until you get the size/number of rolls you want.

I just made the sourdough version of that recipe that still uses yeast. Was pretty good.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If it's tough to shape you need to let it relax a bit.
I always portion everything first then go back and shape the first one. By the time you get back around to it they should all have had enough time to rest and relax. Otherwise cover them up with a clean towel for 5 mins or so and they should be easier to shape.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i have a very good SD starter right now. i made it from just king arthur whole wheat flour and ap flour and spring water.

all white:

20% whole wheat:

the whole wheat really surprised me, i often can't even get a result like that with yeast.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Hell Yeah posted:

i have a very good SD starter right now. i made it from just king arthur whole wheat flour and ap flour and spring water.

all white:

20% whole wheat:

the whole wheat really surprised me, i often can't even get a result like that with yeast.

Did you use the KA sourdough starter recipe by chance?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'm not sure what theirs is but it's probably similar. i just used 100g of the red whole wheat flour and 100g of water, then every day after that i feed it 50/50 cheap AP flour and spring water. my tap water kills starters so i had to use bottled.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hell Yeah posted:

all white:

20% whole wheat:

What's the hydration on these?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

70% with a 1 hr autolyse (no salt or yeast)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I made some bread.

It's the pain à l’ancienne recipe from The Bread Baker's Apprentice, so, 79% hydration, I think? I've made bread before but this was my first time weighing the ingredients and making a shaped loaf instead of just putting the dough in a dutch oven. I was a little nervous (see the bits at the end where I had to fold them in at the last minute because I realized they were too wide), but it turned out really well. Great flavor, and the crust was nice and crispy and chewy. Not burnt on the bottom either, which I was worried about. I'll definitely be making more later.

[Pictured: the one end that flopped out over the edge]

If anyone else has experience using a baking steel for bread, do you know if there's any risk of rust from doing the "hot water in a pan to make steam" thing? I would assume not since the oven is still so hot while it cools down, but I figured I'd check.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i wouldn't worry about rust but you will probably experience some mineral scaling that can be removed with vinegar. nice crumb

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm going to try some 100% hydration 100% rye sourdough. Any suggestions?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I had a bunch of leftover pumpkin pie filling and am sick of eating pumpkin pie so I added a couple cups of flour and some baking powder and made it into a quick bread.

Probably should have used a shorter loaf pan to get a taller loaf but it worked out ok in the end.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thumposaurus posted:

I had a bunch of leftover pumpkin pie filling and am sick of eating pumpkin pie so I added a couple cups of flour and some baking powder and made it into a quick bread.

Probably should have used a shorter loaf pan to get a taller loaf but it worked out ok in the end.

Looks great! Did you add sugar or some other sweetener? I wouldn't have been able to keep myself from adding walnuts.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It was literally pie filling so it already had sugar , spices ,eggs, etc...
I did add a pinch more salt.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So I'll be making, among other things, fresh bread for a friendsgiving this Saturday. I'm fairly experienced but am looking for any ideas on what kind of bread to make, and approximately how many cups of flour I should aim for with that many people. I love the Dutch oven overnight bread, but think that would take too long since I'd have to bake each loaf individually.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

poverty goat posted:

Remember to take lots of pictures.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

poverty goat posted:

When you're handling it, don't use flour to keep it from sticking (that won't work), use water. Dip your hands in cold water frequently; as soon as they dry out, the dough sticks. Move smoothly and decisively.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Maybe have someone else take pictures.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Hi all! I took the plunge on the urging of a friend and started a starter. Things have been going well except I’m not getting good “ears” on my slashes. Am I just not slashing deeply enough?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, slash deeper and at an angle closer to parallel to the floor.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Stringent posted:

Impossible, sadly

I had imagined that I would shape it into a boule, proof it in a banneton and bake it in the Dutch oven but it did not want to be worked with once I got it onto the counter and I ran out of time so into a loaf pan it went to proof, and probably over-proofed a bit. The result is great, though, with an open crumb that's not too dense, good crust and flavor.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

for 100% rye that looks pretty great. i was expecting a big chunk of cement lol

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I've made bread exactly once like a year ago but want to get started again. What are some good recipes/basics to get me going.

Want to get the sourdough train rolling but not right tonight. Tonight I just want to get ripped and make bread

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

I've made bread exactly once like a year ago but want to get started again. What are some good recipes/basics to get me going.

Want to get the sourdough train rolling but not right tonight. Tonight I just want to get ripped and make bread

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/french-style-country-bread-recipe

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I made a half recipe of this, but added rye flour to the final dough instead of wheat flour: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/extra-tangy-sourdough-bread-recipe

It came out ok, didn't rise vertically as much as I'd like but the crumb and flavor are fine.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Brilliant, thanks.

On a sourdough note. Is there a best method for getting a starter going? Should I be finding someone with an established one and steal some?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

Brilliant, thanks.

On a sourdough note. Is there a best method for getting a starter going? Should I be finding someone with an established one and steal some?

Carl's starter has been nice and vigorous for me, and all it costs is a stamp: https://carlsfriends.net/source.html

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

100% hydration 100% rye, second attempt. I did this pretty much no knead style- just mixed the starter into the water, mixed the dough, proofed in a bowl for 2 hours, scraped it into a buttered loaf pan, proofed overnight and baked in the morning. It rose better in the oven but still fell a bit internally. I used altus (nothing is more rye than flavoring your rye bread with old rye bread) and some appropriate seeds this time. All in all it's a pretty good rye bread.

What's going on with the cavity I'm ending up with in the top? Is it overproofed? Would a pullman pan fix it?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Hell yeah, bread.

I'll crack it open first thing tomorrow but I'm super happy with how this turned out!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've been Forkishing with the Saturday Whole Wheat bread and it's so drat tasty.

First Loaf 70/5/25 Whole Wheat/Rye/AP

Crumb:

Loaf 2: 60/10/5/25 WW/Rye/Semolina/AP

I've also made some cinnamon raisin bread, but am having delamination issues with the layers.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Buteo
Dec 27, 2017

what?
All this very good looking bread was making me jealous so I made some challah today. Now instead of my planned dinner I'm just eating big honkin' slices with butter and honey. Extremely worth it.