Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the most recent Hugtto episode basically confirms there's a 6th Cure out there (most likely Hugtan herself) or at the very least we now have an idea of what that weird angel from the OP is supposed to be.. It's probably not going to come into play until we get close to the final battle though. Do we have any idea yet how many episodes Hugtto will be in total?

Still a little worried about Lulu right now but since this series doesn't really kill off it's major hero characters all that much she'll probably be ok (though some temporary reprogramming may not be out of the question).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Rewatching futariwa, the vice principal monster in ep 7 is very good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Futari Wa, was that originally planned to be a much shorter series than it wound up being? When you get close to the end of the first 26 episodes it feels like that show is building up to a climax somewhat but then it just sort of keeps going. There were some good bits in the later half but it kind of started to wear out its welcome by the time we hit Max Heart (also as it went on it sort of became The Nagisa Misumi Show). Still a good show though and definitely among my top favorites.

Also, the first series sort of implied that Honoka's grandmother knew Mipple from her youth but I forget, was that ever expanded upon in the second season?

Off the subject but as problematic as Happiness Charge was, DokiDoki would be almost unwatchable if it weren't for things like Regina (who really should have become a Cure herself), Alice, and those related to Alice (Sebastian was awesome and should come back one day).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 15, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Yeah I think the false ending mid-season was so if the show ended up tanking they could just quietly pull the plug.

I don't think Honoka's grandmother really got expanded on, the show hinted around a lot that she knew about Precure as a concept but it kind of left that up for the viewer to speculate on. I still really loved her character though, that one flashback bombing of Tokyo episode was just... wow. Kinda dark stuff.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Dokidoki was lovely and good, all precures are good and perfect. Even Hapcha. I care not for toy sales.

Also, Glitter Force is dead, toei’s trademark expired.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Yeah I think the false ending mid-season was so if the show ended up tanking they could just quietly pull the plug.

I don't think Honoka's grandmother really got expanded on, the show hinted around a lot that she knew about Precure as a concept but it kind of left that up for the viewer to speculate on. I still really loved her character though, that one flashback bombing of Tokyo episode was just... wow. Kinda dark stuff.

That makes sense. And yeah, Honoka's grandmother 100% knew that Nagisa and Honoka were the Precure but I just couldn't remember if they actually ended up doing anything significant with her (hell, you could have had her be a former Cure herself. It worked for HeartCatch).

And to be fair I don't exactly hate any season per se, there are just some that I like less than others. If I had to choose my top favorites would probably be (in no particular order):

Futari Wa/Max Heart
Hugtto
HeartCatch
Suite
Kira Kira
Splash Star

Also on the subject of Glitter Force, do you think another attempt at bringing Precure to the west could work these days? If so, what would probably be the best season to start with for a hypothetical dub?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 15, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hugtto is pushing rules but I doubt they'll do anything super extreme like having Ruru get brainwashed/reprogrammed for an episode. This is a kids show after all

I honestly think Toei will try again with Precure, on the anime side except for Precure they do seem fairly open to licensing shows. It probably would be with Netflix though since I think they want all of it licensed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Go Princess would be where I'd start if I was taking another stab at licensing it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

Go Princess would be where I'd start if I was taking another stab at licensing it.

Any specific reason why you chose that season in particular?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Didn't Toei recently trademark "Pretty Cure" and "Precure" in North America or something like that? Although I guess they could just be doing that to cover their bases without actually having plans.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 15, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, apparently the Doki Doki dub only came out a year ago which is far more recent than I originally assumed. I believe that, Smile, and the original series (though it was only aired in Canada as far as I know) are the only Precure shows that have been brought over to the west so far though. I'm not sure how successful those shows actually were over here but the Magical Girl genre is still fairly popular so I think it could potentially work provided it was handled right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Any specific reason why you chose that season in particular?
Partly just because its one of the better ones that they haven't tried yet, plus the setting/themes are so western that it'd probably be an easy fit even from a heavy localization perspective.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the US will be getting its own Sailor Moon musical on March 2019.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1063947357807620096

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:kimchi: blessed/cursed gif

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

"Made by Ichika"

god bless the manga

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Kira Kira, somehow it just dawned on me that Gelato (an ice cream lion)'s civilian name literally means "Blue Mane" (Aoi Tategami). Are the other characters also similar puns and have they done this for other Precure shows as well? I know in Suite the main protagonist is named Sound (Hibiki) at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 18, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most precure names are really obvious puns/symbolism, yeah. the heartcatches all have flower names (tsubomi is 'flower bud,' erika is named for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erica , itsuki is timber trees, yuri is lilies). Personal favorite is Cure Twinkle, whose family name (Amanogawa) is literally just the Japanese word for the milky way.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Yeah they've all had pun names from the very beginning. Yukishiro Honoka (Yukishiro = snow castle) and Misumi Nagisa (Misumi = beautiful ink). Which means that the English pun names they got in the dub (Hannah Whitehouse and Natalie Blackstone) are actually pretty accurate.

Hikari is even more blatant because Hikari is just the word for "light", which is why the Cures say it in their little "Emissary of Light!" catchphrase.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Kira Kira, somehow it just dawned on me that Gelato (an ice cream lion)'s civilian name literally means "Blue Mane" (Aoi Tategami). Are the other characters also similar puns and have they done this for other Precure shows as well? I know in Suite the main protagonist is named Sound (Hibiki) at least.

Yes. For Usami Ichika, "Ichika" means "Strawberry flower" and "Usami" is very similar to "Usagi" which means "Rabbit".

Arisugawa Himari has "rise" in it, which means "Squirrel".

Kotozume Yukari has "Zume" which can mean "fingernail" or "claw", and "Yukari" is an outdated word for Violet.

And for Kenjou Akira, The kanji for "Ken" here means sword, but "Ken" is sometimes used as the reading for the Kanji 犬 "Inu", which means "Dog"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice. Speaking of which, how is the Futari Wa dub? I heard it was actually fairly accurate to the source aside from changing some cultural references and most of the character names.

In the same vein, how bad were the Glitter Force dubs (Smile and DokiDoki)? I know the latter cut out a bunch of content at least (the original DokiDoki was 49 episodes, the dub is 30).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 18, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Futari Wa Dub is pretty okay for a TV dub but it's also very much an Ocean/Blue Wave dub so your mileage may very. Glitter Force's dub is Cardcaptors/DIC SM bad that it warps around to be amusing in places just for all the changes they made and the fact it aired on Netflix when they really didn't need to make changes

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Dic is better than Cloverway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Dic is better than Cloverway.

Yeah, at least DIC Usagi didn't sound like she was 40 (at least), also some of the songs they wrote for the original dub of Sailor Moon/R are actually pretty drat good to be honest (I kind of liked British Grandma Luna as well). Speaking of voice actors, I just recently learned that Zirconia in the Viz dub of SuperS was voiced by Barbara Goodson (Rita Repulsa in Power Rangers, Goku in the original Dragon Ball).

Out of curiosity, why was the Futari Wa dub never aired in the US? As far as I know it only came out in Canada and maybe the UK.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 18, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Toei was in the process of disassociating itself from 4kids for loving one piece up beyond all recognition at the time IIRC.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Toei was in the process of disassociating itself from 4kids for loving one piece up beyond all recognition at the time IIRC.

4Kids did license the show at one point but never actually wound up doing anything with it (which in retrospect was probably for the best anyway). The dub that did air was handled by a different company.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 19, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPThsaYrwBw

Magic Knight Rayearth is gonna be in the new super robot wars, for whatever that's worth.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On the one hand is "Prince of Darkness" gonna be this generation's "Endless Waltz"?

On the other, LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE.

BTW: Why was Dunbine called twice?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 19, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

On the one hand is "Prince of Darkness" gonna be this generation's "Endless Waltz"?

On the other, LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE.

BTW: Why was Dunbine called twice?

One was the OVA sequel, maybe?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Still no Happy Robo or Xenoglossia

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well in regards to the latest Hugtto episode my hunch was correct, there is a 6th Cure and she is indeed Hugtan (herself being a de-aged Cure Tomorrow). Also had they not created a 5th PreHeart through the power of Robo Love the normal 4th Precure would have been Emiru. If I'm interpreting that brief flashback correctly it would also seem that Lulu was modeled after Dr. Traum's actual daughter.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 20, 2018

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found some copies of MIXX while sorting out stuff from middle school and decided to buy the Magic Knight Rayearth manga boxed sets so I could finish the series.

Does the anime adaptation do much to expand on the story? I know there’s at least one original character added.

Also, it’s funny how much the bonus content printed in 2003 references the Sega Saturn game that was released in 1998 and limited to a few thousand copies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The main difference I remember in the anime was Presea dying which they had to quickly undo when the sequel manga got adapted.

There's also the loving weird OVA that's all X like and has people from the Rayerth universe invading Tokyo and having robot fights there.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 20, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what may possibly be a leaked Star Twinkle image has recently surfaced:

If it's real it would appear the next season is more likely to be Idol-themed rather than space as was originally assumed. Which would be somewhat disappointing to be honest but on the other hand we've had two decent seasons in a row so far (or three depending on your thoughts regarding Maho Girls) so hopefully it'll still be good regardless.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 24, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

could be space idols, such as macross

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm for it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

could be space idols, such as macross

True, there's a definite space theme in the logo so it's possible that it could be both. I kind of like the unicorn motif on Pink at any rate.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given how we've had 2 Rock and Roll Precure the last 2 years I'm all for Precure Idols saving the Earth as long as they make sure to have one Itano circus as a finisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

as long as it's not Innocent Form's finisher