Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mewse posted:

Yes but 50 thousand. How many football fields would that be, lined up end to end

imagine typing even one word fifty thousand times. and i bet most of his posts have more than one word?

that's like a huge friggin book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
How come more fantasy novels don't have sports in them

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Rowling has commented on this, apparently the quidditch matches were the hardest part of the series to write. It was a necessary part of the school-days setting but it was apparently quite difficult for her to 1) set up a set of rules for a fantastical game in a fantastic setting and she felt she kinda failed because the game doesn't really make much sense, and 2) even harder in an ongoing series to tell new quidditch stories every book and still have them be original and interesting.

Data Graham posted:

e: oh there it is, of course, "mirrored stand-lamps", "bustling", how could I have forgotten

Looks like it's only 4-5 pages before the pirate ladies come in though

My favorite detail is the scene where the bathwater goes cold and has to be re-warmed. Like, even he knows this poo poo has gone on too long.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Good news! Sword of Truth has Ja'La dh Jin (I actually looked that up!), something like fantasy football. It's horribly written, just like most of the rest of the books, of course.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Good news! Sword of Truth has Ja'La dh Jin (I actually looked that up!), something like fantasy football. It's horribly written, just like most of the rest of the books, of course.

fantasy football is too generous. libertarian murder football written by someone who has never watched football

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Beaten. I was gonna bring this up as a good reason against sports in fantasy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Does chess count as a sport?

quote:

The three of them manage to reach the isolated city of Manator. Gahan ventures into the city seeking food and water, but is tricked and taken prisoner by the inhabitants. Tara and Ghek are also captured. In Manator, captives are forced to a fight to the death in the arena, in a modified version of Jetan, a popular Barsoomian board game resembling Chess; the living version uses people as the game pieces on a life-sized board, with each taking of a piece being a duel to the death.

Because that's some classic poo poo right there

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does chess count as a sport?

Because that's some classic poo poo right there

I loved those books so much growing up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eke out posted:

fantasy football is too generous. libertarian murder football written by someone who has never watched football

That's what I thought, but I've never seen a game of (American) football, either, so I wasn't sure.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Course now I'm picturing a bunch of sword-wielding medieval heroes sitting around a campfire drawing up their rotisserie rosters and poring over stats on Draft Kings.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I fully believe that Sanderson has a fantasy game he is just waiting to throw in a stormlight book. It will be 60 pages and could act as a rule book if you wanted to play the it IRL.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I'm more thinking of a sport that isn't chess and can't involve a weapon like fencing and isn't people just boxing

You end up with poo poo like pro bending I think because there's not a whole lot of intersectionality between sports fans and fantasy writers

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I fully believe that Sanderson has a fantasy game he is just waiting to throw in a stormlight book. It will be 60 pages and could act as a rule book if you wanted to play the it IRL.

Warbreaker 2 will just be the rulebook for... that game with the colored stones. I'm blanking on a name, if one was given to it at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I'm more thinking of a sport that isn't chess and can't involve a weapon like fencing and isn't people just boxing

You end up with poo poo like pro bending I think because there's not a whole lot of intersectionality between sports fans and fantasy writers

You also end up with the Tournament Problem

Games and sports are inherently, almost definitionally, unimportant. Whatever the book is about, it's almost certainly going to be inherently more important than the sport game, so why are the characters all playing sportball when the world is on fire or the orphanage is about to be condemned or BuckBeak is gonna get executed or ToonTown is going to be Erased or whatever it is? So in poo poo like Dragonball it's half the world is on the line and the other half of the time for some reason we're supposed to care about some dumb-rear end tournament.

The other reason sports are important in the real world is that they function as proxies for tribal identities -- Philly, America, etc. -- and none of those tribes are present in a fantasy world soooo why would we care about their sportsball?

You do occasionally get things like Myth Directions where it's just "The Gang Plays the Big Game" type plots

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I think it works when the sport is part of the storyline like in the video game pyre where everyone's stuck in this lovely situation and the only way to escape is to play ritual fantasy basketball under your captor's rules to escape

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sports can work in a Sanderson book because so many chapters don’t really have a looming threat but just characters doing stuff to flesh out the world. Like that chapter with the fishing village or whatever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I think it works when the sport is part of the storyline like in the video game pyre where everyone's stuck in this lovely situation and the only way to escape is to play ritual fantasy basketball under your captor's rules to escape

In fantasy or SF though that usually turns into Game of Death style thing -- Hunger Games, Hunters of the Red Moon, etc.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

In fantasy or SF though that usually turns into Game of Death style thing -- Hunger Games, Hunters of the Red Moon, etc.

Definitely, I liked in pyre that you didn't die for losing you just had to spend more time playing the game

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sports can work in a Sanderson book because so many chapters don’t really have a looming threat but just characters doing stuff to flesh out the world. Like that chapter with the fishing village or whatever.

I'm honestly kind of surprised in the wax/wayne era there's no coinshot/lurcher sports

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I'm honestly kind of surprised in the wax/wayne era there's no coinshot/lurcher sports

Rioters and Soothers embedded in the crowds

Even better it's like a meta-competition between the teams' fans: who has the best emotional Allomancers on their side?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Warbreaker 2 will just be the rulebook for... that game with the colored stones. I'm blanking on a name, if one was given to it at all.

I think it never is mentioned by name, which is extra funny. It's just "the game with the coloured stones" and he keeps winning.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tahirovic posted:

I think it never is mentioned by name, which is extra funny. It's just "the game with the coloured stones" and he keeps winning.

I thought it was just him playing marbles, but I could be wrong. I know I don't know the drat rules to that.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It sounds like a long range Boccia / Boccia for giants or something similar. It does have rules but it's only stated that that Lightsong doesn't know them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

seaborgium posted:

I thought it was just him playing marbles, but I could be wrong. I know I don't know the drat rules to that.

Nah, it's not marbles because the colors and positions are more important, and the rules are apparently so complex that they just have someone there to tell you the score.

Which is what makes Lightsong just loving around and winning all the funnier.

Vasher was playing it too when he was on Roshar in guise of sword master Zahel

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly Rithmatist already kind of feels like this. Like it's very easy to see how you could turn it into a real-time strategy or tactics game.

Giving me flashbacks to pro bending in Legend of Korra.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cicero posted:

Giving me flashbacks to pro bending in Legend of Korra.

poo poo, I knew something was tugging at the back of my mind about this subject.

FWIW I thought that pro-bending stuff worked really well in-universe, I loved the whole idea of it and it made total sense.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

They are, they just don't normally have modern sports because it's not a modern setting.

Though you do occasionally find not-soccer or not-baseball in some series.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Data Graham posted:

poo poo, I knew something was tugging at the back of my mind about this subject.

FWIW I thought that pro-bending stuff worked really well in-universe, I loved the whole idea of it and it made total sense.

Yeah pro bending made sense to me. It seemed like the rules were well thought out and there were no obviously cheap win conditions

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The problem with most fantasy sports is, holy poo poo, why aren't the fields littered in corpses

Like given Quidditch speeds and heights it's played at bodies should just be droppin'

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The problem with most fantasy sports is, holy poo poo, why aren't the fields littered in corpses

Like given Quidditch speeds and heights it's played at bodies should just be droppin'

It's a sport that takes place in a magic school where the focus is tilted heavily towards defensive and support magic. Maybe someone skimming the ground and suddenly crashing could still happen, but someone falling out of the air a few dozen feet and hitting the ground without a ref or some other wizard catching them?

The biggest question is why the school has a house that is literally "we exist to produce assholes and evil wizards" and that nobody thinks it might be a bad idea.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Most fantasy novels are medieval schtick where everyone is fightin' all the time, so the "sports" are duels like in Kushner's Swordspoint or GRRM's jousting tourneys or Abercrombie's fencing tournament with Jezal and Gorst in the first trilogy. In the magic school subgenre there's Not Quidditch like in the Magicians. No really successful fantasy novel has done anything like Ian M. Banks did in Player of Games, as far as I'm aware.

A Dresden Files novel might have done something with the aztec stone ball game, but it wasnt super memorable.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Pratchett did sports kinda ok. He had not-Chess in Thud and not-soccer/rugby in Unseen Academicals.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Pro bending is probably the coolest implementation of fantasy sports using the actual elements of the setting.

I can see the modern-set mistborn having cool magic sports, but iron and steel allomancy are the only cool flashy powers that would work in sports and there's only so much you can do with those two.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I would say the reason there arent more organized sports in fantasy is because organized sports are very much an invention of the industrial era and most fantasy takes place before that

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would say the reason there arent more organized sports in fantasy is because organized sports are very much an invention of the industrial era and most fantasy takes place before that

I thought football (the non-US version) started formalizing rules prior to the Industrial Age.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean the color factions of Rome were a huge thing for a long time. Hell they survived the dark days of the Arab incursions.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Don't forget the famous ballgames practiced by various pre-Columbian Mesoamerican societies.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the color factions of Rome were a huge thing for a long time. Hell they survived the dark days of the Arab incursions.

Oh, yeah I forgot completely about the Roman chariot racing. It was a professional sport with four main teams: Red, Blue, Green and White. Drivers got paid per race and there was a HUGE betting culture around the races.

Since it was free for people to attend in the cheap seats, a LOT of people followed it. Circus Maximus could hold upwards of 250,000 people.

Before that even the Greeks had hippodrome races and the Olympic Games could be used as evidence of organized sports. But the Roman races is one of the first example of professional athletes, I believe, if not THE first.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

navyjack posted:

Pratchett did sports kinda ok. He had not-Chess in Thud and not-soccer/rugby in Unseen Academicals.

In Thud it's actually not-Hnefatafl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
It's SF not fantasy but there's plenty of entertainingly written sport in the Culture novels by Iain M Banks, including batball, dog fighting, and dinner games of skill with the Affront in Excession, lava river rafting and other tidbits in Look to Windward, and then pretty much the entire plot of The Player of Games is spun out through games and sport.