Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

Doc tet, is he going to live?
No. He is going to die. Give it fifty, sixty years.

I've seen people bruise like that in a few circumstances. Small deltoid or biceps tears. Hypothetically direct trauma, but that would be a tough place to bounce a bar.

I involuntarily took a few weeks off. Went in with trepidation for a chest day but did 225 x 8/8/4 (ugh). Subsequently felt a twinge in the right shoulder, though. Womp womp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

DONT TELL ME HOW TO LIVE

look here you little punk you tear that poo poo up then i beat you to 10x225 AND i'll keep going and beat you to 10x315 while your weak little gurly arms have to heal up and try to get strong again

Does that sound tough enough? I'm not very good at mean tough guy talk.

What I'm seeing in this thread is basically shoulder joints are poorly designed for lifting :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Shoulder joints are just plain poorly designed period.

It's like the prime subcontracted them out to Chrysler or something.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

QuarkMartial posted:

look here you little punk you tear that poo poo up then i beat you to 10x225 AND i'll keep going and beat you to 10x315 while your weak little gurly arms have to heal up and try to get strong again

Does that sound tough enough? I'm not very good at mean tough guy talk.

What I'm seeing in this thread is basically shoulder joints are poorly designed for lifting :v:

So what I'm getting from this is we're racing to 10x315 next?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

MrChips posted:

Shoulder joints are just plain poorly designed period.

It's like the prime subcontracted them out to Chrysler or something.

They still make more sense than our backward-wired eyes.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Having torn my rotator cuff being stupid*, I can confirm that human shoulders suck. Got a DXA scan last week and while I was only ~4lbs down in weight, I had lost 7 lbs of fat and gained 3lbs of muscle since July. Not amazing, but at least it's progress. I'm just going on the world's slowest body recomposition and I'll end up an extremely jacked 225lbs.

I ate poo poo walking on vacation while turning back to talk to a friend, but I think my hand is healed enough to bench heavy tomorrow. I'm going to see how many reps I can get at 205, but next week is a recovery week so I won't be benching heavy again until the week after thanksgiving.

*Realized I was going to have trouble with my last rep on the bench press, looked around really quick to yell for help but saw only two attractive college aged girls nearby, so I decided to just give it all I had to finish without help. Once my cuff tore, I managed to bounce the bar off my chin, then have all the plates slide off the bar and make a huge sound (I never use collars). It was a good time. This was 7 years ago and to this day my right arm gives out first while benching, despite being my dominant hand.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Benched 9x205, 8x205, 8x195, 7x195 this morning, but overall I felt over my workout and cut it short.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
MORE BENCH FOR BENCH GOD

3x3@225, 1x1@225

Soon.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

UGH ITS KILLING ME (nice work)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

UGH ITS KILLING ME (nice work)

PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

No, it isn't. You're just a weak babby.

No apology here.

No apology here, either.

Hey, yeah, no. Keep working at it!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

MORE BENCH FOR BENCH GOD

3x3@225, 1x1@225

Soon.

I'm curious if it'll be faster for you to add 7 reps and no weight than it will be for me to get an extra rep but have to add 20 lbs. I feel like trying to add ~10% to my bench is going to take longer than I think, seeing as how I'm long past those easy new lifter gains. The one thing I have going for me is I usually do flat bench as my third exercise, so I feel like there are some easy gains to be had from doing it first now.

There should be some sort of height / length of arms adjustment for benching, I end up doing way more actual work to bench a given weight than a short guy with shorter arms.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

BACK IN THE GAME BABY

185x5 205x5 215x5 all felt real good.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yessss

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This spreadsheet was demoralizing at first but like a fine wine it only improves with age.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Fender Anarchist posted:

This spreadsheet was demoralizing at first but like a fine wine it only improves with age.

Hell yes dude get it. It's pretty amazing getting on the small gains train.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fender Anarchist posted:

drat right. That looks to be about 1.7lb per week, which is right in the range of 1-2lb per week for healthy weight loss rate. Keep it up!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

RVA MOB REPRESENT

TASTE OF THINGS TO COME

HOLLA ATCHA BOY

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 27, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

that may be the whitest thing i have ever seen

sick lifts though (go for straight 8 next time tho)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Fender Anarchist posted:

that may be the whitest thing i have ever seen

sick lifts though (go for straight 8 next time tho)

We may or may not have been listening to too much Wu Tang recently.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

...too much Wu Tang...

Is there such a thing?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Oh you fucker.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
But, six ain't ten, so I ain't frettin.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I wish my yes wasn't hosed up, because I'd show you kids a thing or two, with my 235x12x3 like it ain't no thang.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo, it's going to be really awkward when I try to recreate the same video at the YMCA. Can I just bring a hard hat in and give it to a rando to wear?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

RVA MOB REPRESENT

TASTE OF THINGS TO COME

HOLLA ATCHA BOY

:lol: Amazing.

keep that rear end on the bench :colbert:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 27, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

poo poo, it's going to be really awkward when I try to recreate the same video at the YMCA. Can I just bring a hard hat in and give it to a rando to wear?

PLEASE

Suburban Dad posted:

:lol: Amazing.

keep that rear end on the bench :colbert:

Yeah my form is poo poo. I should work on my form. When I beat y'all to 225x10 expect a lot better form in the video.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What you lack in form you make up for in hype. :woop:

I've always been poo poo at bench. I think at my best I could do maybe 200 lbs once. I will continue to throw stones from my glass house over here. :ohdear:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 19, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
This will have to wait until next week...ish. Broke traction on the bench and just about dropped 225 on my neck. It was already slick, I scrubbed it and thought I had whatever made it slick off of there, but I didn't. I was doing the third rep of my first set of 225, slipped back on the bench, and couldn't get the bar up; it was caught on the hooks somehow. Yeah, not fun, and not a single rear end in a top hat at this Y bothered to help or even ask if I was fine.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Jfc sorry to hear that. Hope you're alright.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm good, was just shook up and mad. Next time I'll just go to the Y by my house (this one is on my way from work) where the benches are better.

E: I was, and still am, more mad that no one bothered to help. Like, I get stared at when I come in the gym, but no one bothers to help someone in trouble. Fuckin people.

Anyway, I'm fine. I'll get 10x225 soon. I'm not injured and won't worry about it further.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 19, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Fender Anarchist posted:

You'll be below 300 by the end of January at this rate, that will be a nice milestone!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Went to the gym looking for gains, got ringworm because bros are too cool to wipe down the loving equipment instead.

Grats, Fender! Keep up the good work!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm good, was just shook up and mad. Next time I'll just go to the Y by my house (this one is on my way from work) where the benches are better.

E: I was, and still am, more mad that no one bothered to help. Like, I get stared at when I come in the gym, but no one bothers to help someone in trouble. Fuckin people.

Anyway, I'm fine. I'll get 10x225 soon. I'm not injured and won't worry about it further.

Rest assured I would help you when you tried to decapitate yourself. I would also shout at you for being weak constantly. You loving weakling. Why haven't you beaten me to 10x225 yet? Weak. WEAK.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Because your weakness is holding me back. Ugh. I could feel it leaching my strength over the internet. Ugh.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

A strong person wouldn't let that affect them. Weak.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Trip report: this is my deload (recovery) week of my first cycle on the new RP templates, the main difference being I had 6 weeks of actual lifting versus 4, and you start off with a lower number of sets per exercise in the beginning weeks. I tried to avoid my usual method of rushing to add volume, and felt pretty good until the end of the 6th week. Maybe it was the cold going around the office, but I was definitely ready for a break by the end of the 6th week. I figure between this week being very light and all the Thanksgiving food and events, I should be ready to go hard again next week. I will ignore the programming on the templates for my bench and go ahead and start at 215 next week to see what I can get.

I did 38 strict form pullups on Saturday (across 5 sets), and I still have lat DOMS. Also, I fit in my bike leather pants again, so I've lost the fat I gained in 2017 when I went from working from home at a job that required almost no time to an office job where I'm here a minimum of 10hrs/day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hey.

Thanksgiving's over.

Stir yourselves. :v: Back in the gym later today after a week off, gonna hurt good.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Back doing real weights again, only benched 9x205 and 10x185. Will try 215 either Thursday or next Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Been "deloading" on bench since my left arm was feeling weird in three different places.

However did back and biceps on Saturday... hitting shoulders today!