Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you're thinking about the 500GB version and have a free M.2 slot, the NVME HP ex920 500GB is currently $90 on Newegg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Looks like NewEgg also has 1TB EVO 860 2.5" at 127.99
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147673&ignorebbr=1

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I bought a Crucial MX300 275GB drive a couple of years ago to use as a boot drive. A few months ago I was unable to boot Windows, so I formatted the drive, did a clean install and moved on.

Two days ago, the same thing happened, but now I can't even format the drive. If I format through the Windows installer, I subsequently get an error when I try to install the OS. If I try using diskpart, the format process never moves past 0%.

Is my SSD dead?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You could check the SMART data. Most likely, yes, it is dead.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Stickman posted:

If you're thinking about the 500GB version and have a free M.2 slot, the NVME HP ex920 500GB is currently $90 on Newegg.

This or the WD Black 500GB NVMe for $99 on Amazon?

[Edit] Hmm, WD has better warranty.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Try a new cable on that ssd. Sure does sound dead though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

teagone posted:

This or the WD Black 500GB NVMe for $99 on Amazon?

[Edit] Hmm, WD has better warranty.

HP bumped up the warranty on the 512 GB and 1TB versions to 5 years.

Also, Newegg has the 1TB HP EX920 for $165.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

just realized my m2 slot only fit for 60mm ssds :(

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I currently have an 850 EVO SATA III drive in my gaming PC. Are regular SATA M.2 drives the same speed as their 2.5" counterparts?

Would the only upgrade be an NVMe drive?

Any standout deals right now? I see the 500GB 970 Evo for $117 on amazon. There's also the 1TB 860 Evo for $128 but maybe that's no faster than my 850?

I'm aware I'll need an add-on card plus a modified bios for an NVMe to work with my Z87 mobo.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I currently have an 850 EVO SATA III drive in my gaming PC. Are regular SATA M.2 drives the same speed as their 2.5" counterparts?

Any standout deals right now? I see the 500GB 970 Evo for $117 on amazon. There's also the 1TB 860 Evo for $128 but maybe that's no faster than my 850?

I'm aware I'll need an add-on card plus a modified bios for an NVMe to work with my Z87 mobo.

my understanding of this is that an M.2 SATA drive is the same speed as regular SSD drives on a SATA. M.2 is more like a connector which can support different bus interfaces (SATA, PCIe/NVMe, USB, etc.)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Yes, SATA performance is the same regardless of connection format.

The HP ex920 512GB is $90 at Newegg, but only for the next 2 hours! Prices are expected to continue to drop for a while, though, so we'll likely see these prices (or better) again in the future.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I have never heard of an HP SSD before. Are they considered decent, reliability-wise?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Unless you need more space right now I'd recommend waiting as long as you can because the prices are cratering. They'll probably continue to decline well into next year.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SourKraut posted:

HP bumped up the warranty on the 512 GB and 1TB versions to 5 years.

Good to know! Looks like the WD Black is out of stock now. RIP. I'm finalizing my parts list, and I just saw Micro Center will knock off $10 from a 970 EVO 500GB NVMe when I bundle it with an eligible CPU, bringing it down to $104.99 with the $5 off $30 coupon. Hmm.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Could you link this $5 off $30 coupon for Micro Center?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Could you link this $5 off $30 coupon for Micro Center?

It's the retailmenot exclusive coupon that's been around for a while. I used it back in 2015 too heh. https://www.retailmenot.com/view/microcenter.com

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

teagone posted:

It's the retailmenot exclusive coupon that's been around for a while. I used it back in 2015 too heh. https://www.retailmenot.com/view/microcenter.com

Yeah, shortly after asking, I ran a search for "Micro Center Coupon" and found it. I was thinking about using it on a trio of ML120s, since I plan on going push-pull on my H150i PRO (since every degree counts with a 9900K), and since I heavily plan on using Red and Blue when it comes to RGB, I figured the front three fans on my radiator poking out from under the Evolv X's front should be white. Red, white, and blue. :patriot:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Oof, that's a little rough; most are 80 mm but after that 42 mm seems the second-most common length (which you may be able to fit if your device has another mounting point.)

On that subject, what happened to the Toshiba RC100 480 GB version? It was a single-chip DRAMless NVMe 42 mm model but the highest-capacity 480 GB part seems to have been de-listed from e-tailers like Amazon & Newegg. :confused:

Edit: That 1 TB 2.5" SSD for $100 is back for a couple weeks.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 19, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Express-NGFF-Adapter-Heatsink-Support/dp/B01MY5FSZO :confuoot:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

KingKapalone posted:

NVMe won't improve anything on a gaming PC, and having to go through extra hoops to make it work is doubly useless. Put your money in the piggy bank to save for upgrading the whole machine.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

NVMe won't improve anything on a gaming PC, and having to go through extra hoops to make it work is doubly useless. Put your money in the piggy bank to save for upgrading the whole machine.

Oh I thought that was the new thing? I guess I don't need a hard drive.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

KingKapalone posted:

NVMe is faster than sata, a lot faster. But average desktop and gaming stuff is not constrained by the bandwidth limitations of sata so it's not really visible. During a level load a sata SSD can supply data fast enough that the game is spending more time waiting on the CPU and memory while setting up the geometry and stuff.

For now the performance advantage of NVMe is useful to people doing databases, high-end video editing, servers, etc.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I know that not all m2 slots support NVMe drives, but is there a chance to encounter m2 slots that do suport NVMe but not Sata drives?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

NVMe is faster than sata, a lot faster. But average desktop and gaming stuff is not constrained by the bandwidth limitations of sata so it's not really visible. During a level load a sata SSD can supply data fast enough that the game is spending more time waiting on the CPU and memory while setting up the geometry and stuff.

For now the performance advantage of NVMe is useful to people doing databases, high-end video editing, servers, etc.

While you're right and switching won't provide any appreciable benefit to the average gamer, the advantage of NVMe isn't just in throughput but also in the lower latency and higher queue depths the protocol provides.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sininu posted:

I know that not all m2 slots support NVMe drives, but is there a chance to encounter m2 slots that do suport NVMe but not Sata drives?
Yeah, as an example the Asus Z97-A mainboard's M.2 slot only supports PCIe mode.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KingKapalone posted:

As has been said, if you're going from a low-end SSD, NVME can probably start nudging into "a little noticeable" realm in terms of improvement for a gamer, but it's pretty small. Since you have a 850 EVO, I don't think you'll notice anything significant.

If you need to get a new hard drive anyway, NVME is still probably in the "Not Worth the Money", but the ADATA or HP drives are not too far outside the price/perf curve to be ridiculous. I needed a new drive recently and got the ADATA just because I wanted to see what one was like and didn't really mind spending the 15% upcharge.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Lockback posted:

As has been said, if you're going from a low-end SSD, NVME can probably start nudging into "a little noticeable" realm in terms of improvement for a gamer, but it's pretty small. Since you have a 850 EVO, I don't think you'll notice anything significant.

If you need to get a new hard drive anyway, NVME is still probably in the "Not Worth the Money", but the ADATA or HP drives are not too far outside the price/perf curve to be ridiculous. I needed a new drive recently and got the ADATA just because I wanted to see what one was like and didn't really mind spending the 15% upcharge.

So the Samsungs will probably never be worth it from a gaming performance standpoint until they've replaced the existence of SATA from a price standpoint?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KingKapalone posted:

So the Samsungs will probably never be worth it from a gaming performance standpoint until they've replaced the existence of SATA from a price standpoint?

For Home-gaming enthusiast:

"Worth it" is subjective, but the samsung line is even further off the price/perf curve, and what Samsung is giving you for the money isn't likely to be something you'd use anyway. I can see some people wanting to pay more for the higher projected rewrites and Samsung's reputation for better QC, but other drives are well exceeding needs for life and performance so in the general use case I'd say spending more isn't going to do anything positive. It's not like the years past where different SSDs actually had significant differences and you had to be careful on what you got. The NVMEs posted here are all solid and will all far exceed what is going to be perceived by a user.

For Home Datascience Experiments, servers, etc:

You might actually see benefit from the better theoretical throughput and latency, and the rewrite projections might also be significant. I'd still imagine most home users wouldn't see much difference, but if your use cases go beyond gaming then it becomes more of a choice. I still can't see Samsung MSRP being a good bet, but during the sales I think there is a use case where you'd look at the EVO or possibly even Pro line.

For Enterprise:
The ADATA Home drives/EVO line are not what you need anyway in terms of feature set.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ve been messing with NVMeoF (over Fabric) at work and it is really slick. 100GbE with an array of x4 Gen3 drives over optical :getin:

Probably not something that will ever make it to the home user but would be nifty :haw:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ordered my server upgrade parts save for the new boot drive as I'm still considering my options. I managed to get a great deal on a motherboard that has two M.2 slots (MSI B450M Mortar). According to the manual, the 1st M.2 slot supports PCIe 3.0 x4, PCIe 3.0 x2, and SATA, and the 2nd slot near the chipset supports PCIe 2.0 x4. So to my understanding, the second M.2 slot won't work with regular SATA M.2 drives, right? It'd only work with an NVMe drive, but operate "slower" since it's PCIe 2.0?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

teagone posted:

Ordered my server upgrade parts save for the new boot drive as I'm still considering my options. I managed to get a great deal on a motherboard that has two M.2 slots (MSI B450M Mortar). According to the manual, the 1st M.2 slot supports PCIe 3.0 x4, PCIe 3.0 x2, and SATA, and the 2nd slot near the chipset supports PCIe 2.0 x4. So to my understanding, the second M.2 slot won't work with regular SATA M.2 drives, right? It'd only work with an NVMe drive, but operate "slower" since it's PCIe 2.0?

Basically, yes and yes. m.2 is the form factor, and can support any electrical interface from: USB, PCIe, SATA. To be on the safe side I'd assume that 2nd slot is NVMe only if it doesn't explicitly state SATA support (and USB, if present, would be for some accessory like a Wifi card) and it might nominally be a bottleneck for a fast SSD, but in practice I don't think you'll be in a position to notice.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Lambert posted:

You could check the SMART data. Most likely, yes, it is dead.

LRADIKAL posted:

Try a new cable on that ssd. Sure does sound dead though.

It was the SATA cable, thanks for your help.

On a positive note, I now have an extra SSD.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I've had 2 SATA cables die on me in the last 5 or 6 years and I haven't had any hard drive die on me since like 1999. I don't know what the deal is with SATA cables but they seem to want to die as a natural state.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did you save up all the dead ones to switch into a co-workers PC?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

priznat posted:

I’ve been messing with NVMeoF (over Fabric) at work and it is really slick. 100GbE with an array of x4 Gen3 drives over optical :getin:

Probably not something that will ever make it to the home user but would be nifty :haw:

:stonk::fh:

I'm still loving around with stupid IB drivers

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Potato Salad posted:

:stonk::fh:

I'm still loving around with stupid IB drivers

I go easier with ethernet, IB is a mystery to me. Mellanox dual 100GbE with gen4 x16 PCIe from ibm power9 to mellanox host with drive fanout. Just 3m copper mostly but easy to swap to optical modules.

Composable flash systems ahoy!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Hyper m2+ 4x ex920 1tb in raid0

<700$ for 4tb and 10GBps perf

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lockback posted:

I've had 2 SATA cables die on me in the last 5 or 6 years and I haven't had any hard drive die on me since like 1999. I don't know what the deal is with SATA cables but they seem to want to die as a natural state.

They are definitely more poo poo than a simple cable has any right being.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
https://slickdeals.net/f/12318979-adata-su800-1tb-ssd-96-ac-free-shipping?src=frontpage

ronpaulitshappening.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The OP says the avoid ADATA though :thunk: