Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

If y'all would like to support our channel and production company, feel free to donate to our Patreon or Ko-Fi. You can see our current videos on the TZ Longsword YouTube channel. Every bit helps!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Feder chat :

Okay I have probably spent way too much time doing online research and asking/annoying people at my club about what feder to buy first and I think I know but wanna run it by you all just to have an outside perspective. Please be harsh.

Conclusion : I’m an idiot noob who hasn’t figured out anything (I’m just getting with comfortable with schielhau for gently caress’s sake) so I should just get a bog standard regyenyei, maybe modify the hilt next time I get access to a lathe and just admit that I’m not going to be 100% happy with my first feder and this is me experimenting so I can buy a perfect second feder.

Also this is going way in advance, but is there a breakdown of the various tournaments? I might be vaguely interested long term and am curious. From a very cursory google, the only tournament here is something called Fecht Yeah! (great name), but it’s only open to women and LGBTQ minorities. Which is awesome and good but kind of useless to me except that I definitely want to go and cheer there, cause I am the straightest whitest most privileged being to ever live.

Feders: Make sure to ask around and try a bunch of different swords and buy the one that feels the best to you. If it feels good and you can afford it, go for it. Just be mindful of stiffness in the blade. A good all-arounder is the Regenyei feder, since it's on the low-end price wise and are built to last. For your size it might be a good fit.

I really like the Albion meyer, but again it's all about personal preference.

As for tournaments:

Long Island Point is happening next weekend, so I'm sure you can go and check that one out. The longsword tournament is sold out, but a bunch of people from your school are going.

There's also Fechtschule NY (FNY) which happens every summer in upstate NY, not too far from the city (maybe a 2 hour drive). It's a NYHFA-run tournament, so a bunch of people from your school go.

Longpoint is in March 2019, and takes place in Baltimore. It's the biggest tournament in the country. Bunch of us will be going there.

Fighty McFightface is a rookie tournament in Pennsylvania. The first one was this year, and I think they'll have another next year since it was so successful.

I'm sure there are others in the region, but these are the only ones I know of off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Feder chat :

Okay I have probably spent way too much time doing online research and asking/annoying people at my club about what feder to buy first and I think I know but wanna run it by you all just to have an outside perspective. Please be harsh.

Conclusion : I’m an idiot noob who hasn’t figured out anything (I’m just getting with comfortable with schielhau for gently caress’s sake) so I should just get a bog standard regyenyei, maybe modify the hilt next time I get access to a lathe and just admit that I’m not going to be 100% happy with my first feder and this is me experimenting so I can buy a perfect second feder.

Also this is going way in advance, but is there a breakdown of the various tournaments? I might be vaguely interested long term and am curious. From a very cursory google, the only tournament here is something called Fecht Yeah! (great name), but it’s only open to women and LGBTQ minorities. Which is awesome and good but kind of useless to me except that I definitely want to go and cheer there, cause I am the straightest whitest most privileged being to ever live.

There is NOTHING wrong with the Regenei's. I've had the standard for almost 10 years now and the ringed tournament version for 5 (this is my usual practice feder).

I'm not going to comment about Fecht Yeah! because its exclusionary. I UNDERSTAND why they are doing it, but disagree with it. A lot of good people do attend and some good instructors come to do their thing.

Longpoint is nearly sold out at this time for tournaments unless you have armour, want to cut and then do some longsword routines (I think even that may be sold out now too). But this is a great thing to attend even if you are not doing the tourneys. I will be teaching a few classes there again this year.

I also have my own event in August up in New Hampshire. TYPICALLY its an invite only event to keep it under 100 people. I have moved away from tourneys starting this past event and focused a lot on classes and having a good time with your HEMA friends. I think it went well. I brought 5 FULL kegs of cider and beer. At the end of the three day event, I had one half keg left... LOL and that doesn't include what other people brought for booze, the trips to the distillery and the local meadery either...

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 13, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this is relevant to our interests

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I had not heard of a Feder and looked up some info on it. Seems very interesting and from what I can gather was/is a two handed fencing sword but I’m not clear on something. Was it used to safely use longsword techniques when not intending to hurt someone or is it it’s own distinct thing with separate techniques from the longsword? Was it ever used for actual fighting or is it only historically a fencing sword?

Edit:

Verisimilidude posted:

If y'all would like to support our channel and production company, feel free to donate to our Patreon or Ko-Fi. You can see our current videos on the TZ Longsword YouTube channel. Every bit helps!.

Thanks for the link - looks like an awesome channel so I subbed and will be watching your videos tonight. Hopefully I can donate at some point in the future because I’d love to support it but I extended myself further than I expected buying this longsword and as a single dad who’s a musician money is tight. Definitely a good cause though so I’d like to throw some money your way at some point in support of that great content.

rio fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 13, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

rio posted:

I had not heard of a Feder and looked up some info on it. Seems very interesting and from what I can gather was/is a two handed fencing sword but I’m not clear on something. Was it used to safely use longsword techniques when not intending to hurt someone or is it it’s own distinct thing with separate techniques from the longsword? Was it ever used for actual fighting or is it only historically a fencing sword?

Feders are just a training tool for longswords, the historical examples were presumably used the same way we use them now-sparring with a bit more safety than a blunt longsword. As such the techniques are the same with the caveat that binds won't work quite right without an edge.

Now if you really want to look into it, I think there's a deep rabbit hole of nerds screaming at each other about Meyer and whether some of his stuff may be better suited for sporting duels with feders as opposed to mortal combat.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

P-Mack posted:

Feders are just a training tool for longswords, the historical examples were presumably used the same way we use them now-sparring with a bit more safety than a blunt longsword. As such the techniques are the same with the caveat that binds won't work quite right without an edge.

Now if you really want to look into it, I think there's a deep rabbit hole of nerds screaming at each other about Meyer and whether some of his stuff may be better suited for sporting duels with feders as opposed to mortal combat.

Well said.

Feder = feather sword.

And nothing binds properly without an edge. I've tried a bunch of stuff but nothing really lets you understand fühlen without a true edge.

I start my students with feders. Once they reach level two (I call them red shirts, you start with nothing, get a blue shirt after your 9 week intro class and 2 years later or so can go for your red shirt), you are required to do all but contact drills with blunted longswords, but you will also do paired drills with sharps. I cut down the tip so no accidental stabbies, but the blades are still pointy and sharp and the first time you do a binding drill with a sharp you KNOW. I cannot say it much better than that. You understand so much more about how a blade works and why blade to blade contact was vital when you can do it.

Almost all competitions use feders so we don't kill each other. Feders do hurt can break bones etc, but not like a blunted longsword can. Hell I can cut tatami with a blunted longsword (I use the Hanwei Practical Bastard Sword, which I call Bertha). If I do a standard zornhau, I'm going to break your collar bone if I hit you. A zorn-ort is going to dent your mask well and good. With a feder? Not so much. Thats not to say people don't break other people with feders... they do...

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Regenyei and Chlebowski are both popular at my school, because they are jack of all trades good, affordable, and durable.

I've never met anyone who bought their ideal feder first and just stuck with that exact type forever. Your abilities, preferences, and habits will likely lead you in different directions as your skills develop. I started out with a Pavel Moc and loved it for a while but now use a Chlebowski and prefer it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EvilMerlin posted:

Well said.

Feder = feather sword.

And nothing binds properly without an edge. I've tried a bunch of stuff but nothing really lets you understand fühlen without a true edge.

I start my students with feders. Once they reach level two (I call them red shirts, you start with nothing, get a blue shirt after your 9 week intro class and 2 years later or so can go for your red shirt), you are required to do all but contact drills with blunted longswords, but you will also do paired drills with sharps. I cut down the tip so no accidental stabbies, but the blades are still pointy and sharp and the first time you do a binding drill with a sharp you KNOW. I cannot say it much better than that. You understand so much more about how a blade works and why blade to blade contact was vital when you can do it.

Almost all competitions use feders so we don't kill each other. Feders do hurt can break bones etc, but not like a blunted longsword can. Hell I can cut tatami with a blunted longsword (I use the Hanwei Practical Bastard Sword, which I call Bertha). If I do a standard zornhau, I'm going to break your collar bone if I hit you. A zorn-ort is going to dent your mask well and good. With a feder? Not so much. Thats not to say people don't break other people with feders... they do...

Paired drills with sharps make me nervous. What level of armoring do you require for them?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Regenyei and Chlebowski are both popular at my school, because they are jack of all trades good, affordable, and durable.

I've never met anyone who bought their ideal feder first and just stuck with that exact type forever. Your abilities, preferences, and habits will likely lead you in different directions as your skills develop. I started out with a Pavel Moc and loved it for a while but now use a Chlebowski and prefer it.

I like my Chlebowski but the delay on delivering my order was absurd so I can't really recommend.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Liquid Communism posted:

Paired drills with sharps make me nervous. What level of armoring do you require for them?

Same gear as full contact sparring. So a heavy jacket (like SPES or Neyman), gorget, mask with back of head protection, and good gloves.

The folks I let use sharps are doing so with me. And only me.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

P-Mack posted:

I like my Chlebowski but the delay on delivering my order was absurd so I can't really recommend.

Same. Not to mention from those at my school that have them, quality is very much a crap shoot. One is perfect, the other is... meh.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah I like the Albion Meyer a lot, but also the Darkhorse armory Workhorse is really good and borrowing a clubmate’s St James, it just feels really right in my hands.

But those are all waaaaay more expensive and I am but a PhD student making lovely numbers so going with something cheaper so I can train for a year and sock away the money and come up with a more informed opinion sounds good.

Also thanks for the video links and the tournament breakdown! Would totally go to Long Island Point but I’m getting on a plane to Japan then so... No.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i bought an expensive sword but i only bought one

it's worth it when i see reenactors with less expensive swords break their swords, it's not worth it when i realize trying to have only one sword that fits with everything you need is a fool's errand

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
For those who want to travel a little to attend an event the Helsinki Longsword Open 2019 has opened registration. Includes longsword, singlestick and cutting competitions, more informatio here:
http://ehms.fi/hlo-registration/
All weapons are provided by the event so no need to worry about transporting swords in a plane.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

EvilMerlin posted:

Same gear as full contact sparring. So a heavy jacket (like SPES or Neyman), gorget, mask with back of head protection, and good gloves.

The folks I let use sharps are doing so with me. And only me.

Some time ago I saw a youtube video from a school (I wanna say it was Roland Warzecha?) where they did sharp binding drills with no protection at all. The idea being that the usual gear wouldn't protect properly anyway, so they went without any so as not to end up with a false sense of security. I can't really judge whether that's reasonable or not, but my first reaction was certainly :stonk:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, I'd want steel, myself, out of a strong respect for both leverage and idiots.

Never know when someone new to swords is going to make that one big dumb mistake, usually out of pure nerves. At least with feders that usually doesn't mean permanent injuries.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Ataxerxes posted:

For those who want to travel a little to attend an event the Helsinki Longsword Open 2019 has opened registration. Includes longsword, singlestick and cutting competitions, more informatio here:
http://ehms.fi/hlo-registration/
All weapons are provided by the event so no need to worry about transporting swords in a plane.

I really want to go. The SO and I have several good friends in Finland... but I'm not much of a tourney type and its not exactly inexpensive to get over there.

I would LOVE to do some armour classes is Europe. I don't see a lot of European HEMA types in harness.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Perestroika posted:

Some time ago I saw a youtube video from a school (I wanna say it was Roland Warzecha?) where they did sharp binding drills with no protection at all. The idea being that the usual gear wouldn't protect properly anyway, so they went without any so as not to end up with a false sense of security. I can't really judge whether that's reasonable or not, but my first reaction was certainly :stonk:

That was probably the European folks that do MS I.33. Its some good stuff but yeah... I'm like what happens if an oops happens?

But this is the reason I only do sharps with people I know and trust.

I'll do sharps with most of the folks from NYHFA, Broken Plow, Jake Norwood's folks around VA and MD, and a few others I've done HEMA with for years.

Its really worth giving it a go when you have enough experience and feel comfortable with the person doing paired drills with.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

But the Black Horse feders are so sexy

gently caress.

Can we do a goon-fund to give me every feder?

gently caress.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Have a club mate who bought a black horse and almost immediately donated it to the club. It's relatively short, quite thin, and has very little flex to it.

It's definitely unique and the blade is extremely durable. Not everyone will like it's characteristics though.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Unzip and Attack posted:

Have a club mate who bought a black horse and almost immediately donated it to the club. It's relatively short, quite thin, and has very little flex to it.

It's definitely unique and the blade is extremely durable. Not everyone will like it's characteristics though.

The guy that makes them is also a CRAZY Russian.

Like totally insane.

They are decent blades, but I keep using other feders and keep coming back to my Regenyei. I just wish it had a wasp waisted hilt.

The only problem with Regenyei's now is that only one guy is importing them into the US, and he is a bit of a tool.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh, speaking of which, Castille Armory is doing a Cyber Monday sale. 10% off any of their production designs, including their very reasonable economy clamshell rapier/side ring dagger set.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh, speaking of which, Castille Armory is doing a Cyber Monday sale. 10% off any of their production designs, including their very reasonable economy clamshell rapier/side ring dagger set.
they've gotten a lot better since i saw them a few years ago

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

HEY GUNS posted:

they've gotten a lot better since i saw them a few years ago

Yeah I was convinced by the owner of Castille to give his feders a go when they were first offered. The one I handled was nice enough, but more importantly it was 225 bucks shipped.

So I told my students to pick them up. Five of them did.

All five didn't make it thru two weeks of classes. The steel in the "blade" was way too soft and they were just destroyed after two or three classes.

I was livid. So I called up Castille. And you know, they have loving AWESOME customer support. They wanted pictures and such which I was glad to send.

Within a week, five brand new feders were in my hands, with blades that were hardened properly.

I still use Castilles for my loaner feders for new folks.

My only real issue is the boxy as gently caress hilt with the kevlar sock over it. But that was easy enough for me to fix on my own.

I know they are more expensive now but I still like Castille and one of my buddies had them make him a longsword with three different blades, a feder, a rebated blade and a sharp blade with a very complex hilt. Its cooler than poo poo and really wasn't outrageous price wise.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
I've owned a few feders, Pavel Moc 53", and two Chlebowskis (one was his "blunt"), and sold them. Waiting on a customized Black Horse Blunt Training Sword: http://blackhorseblades.com/eisen-pferd-blunt-training-sword/ and an Albion Meyer.
Currently feder-less but using my wife's, which is from Atomic Celt, who is sadly no longer making them. I do have two blunt swords (Albion Liechtenauers) and the VB Technique Trainer as well.

I do REALLY like how Castilles feel but I am not a fan of them aesthetically.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Uziel posted:

I do REALLY like how Castilles feel but I am not a fan of them aesthetically.
i used to hate the way they looked but the economy rapier is not bad. one sixth the price of mine. but what i really need right now is a one-handed complex-hilted sword with a short, wide, heavy blade

edit: there's a picture of me wearing my sword in the hema thread and yall can see it's not long at all for fencing class but it's pretty long for fighting in the middle of a scrum of pikemen

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 19, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

i used to hate the way they looked but the economy rapier is not bad. one sixth the price of mine. but what i really need right now is a one-handed complex-hilted sword with a short, wide, heavy blade

edit: there's a picture of me wearing my sword in the hema thread and yall can see it's not long at all for fencing class but it's pretty long for fighting in the middle of a scrum of pikemen

I didn’t know there was a separate hema thread, is it in this subforum and I just missed it or somewhere else?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I've been really tempted by their basket hilts. I'd like something in a broadsword for SCA use that's roughly late-1500's, and the other option I've seen, Alchem's Mary Rose find based half basket isn't really my jam.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

rio posted:

I didn’t know there was a separate hema thread, is it in this subforum and I just missed it or somewhere else?
yeah it's in a/t, evilmerlin posted it

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Liquid Communism posted:

I've been really tempted by their basket hilts. I'd like something in a broadsword for SCA use that's roughly late-1500's, and the other option I've seen, Alchem's Mary Rose find based half basket isn't really my jam.

Yah basket hilts are just sexy... But I refuse to try to learn another sword until I am at least somewhat proficient with the longsword. And I've only been learning it for 10 years, and have a long way to go.

I think that's my major frustration with HEMA right now, is a lot of the schools teach you like five different sword styles, and don't spend enough time on the core components of the sword and such.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I hear you. My prior history comes from SCA heavy, and that has rather influenced me in wanting to learn the basket hilted sword, because the movements and tactics are familiar.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Liquid Communism posted:

I hear you. My prior history comes from SCA heavy, and that has rather influenced me in wanting to learn the basket hilted sword, because the movements and tactics are familiar.

Funny thing is, thats how I got my start in HEMA.

Did SCA heavy since Pennsic XX. Did a bunch of fighting in lovely carpet armour and such and slowly started actually learning about armour and swords. By Pennsic XXX I was in a full plate harness, and having a blast. But once I got my AoA, politics started creeping in and I found my way out of the SCA and accidentally ran into folks doing HEMA. Haven't looked back since.

Been to two Pennsics since I started in HEMA, and I was there to teach HEMA and harness fighting. Had a good time but was glad I was only there for a few days.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In case any of y'all ever happen to organize an event, it's real nice to gauge interest among your officials at, well, some point. I would like to take a 1-day, out of state event, but that's the same weekend as Junior Olympic Qualifiers, which only two refs in the entire division are qualified to run. The out of state event pays better, but the qualifier literally will not count if the other ref or I are not present. I already know which event I'll be working if both need me.

In more general Olympic fencing news, several proposals have been passed around in preparation for the FIE Congress in Paris next month. This include silly things like removing the off-target in foil and allowing the fleche attack in sabre. From what I've read, the fleche rule change might have some legs, and the executive committee is pushing to have the rule tested at several satellite events over the course of 2 seasons.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

removing the off-target in foil
Beg your pardon? :what:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

EvilMerlin posted:

Funny thing is, thats how I got my start in HEMA.

Did SCA heavy since Pennsic XX. Did a bunch of fighting in lovely carpet armour and such and slowly started actually learning about armour and swords. By Pennsic XXX I was in a full plate harness, and having a blast. But once I got my AoA, politics started creeping in and I found my way out of the SCA and accidentally ran into folks doing HEMA. Haven't looked back since.

Been to two Pennsics since I started in HEMA, and I was there to teach HEMA and harness fighting. Had a good time but was glad I was only there for a few days.

What up carpet armor buddy. My first suit was hideous tan/brown shag. Worked pretty well, actually, for the couple months until I got around to building some brig.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Liquid Communism posted:

What up carpet armor buddy. My first suit was hideous tan/brown shag. Worked pretty well, actually, for the couple months until I got around to building some brig.

I went with a set of homemade leather backed Type I coat of plates (from Battle of Visby). And a loving MASSIVE tank of a flat top barrel helm...

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

HEY GUNS posted:

Can you link to the HEMA thread?

e: I should finish reading the thread before I post.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

Beg your pardon? :what:

It'd make the weapon more appealing to spectators. Of course, this turning the weapon into bad, slow epee was not considered.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

EvilMerlin posted:

I went with a set of homemade leather backed Type I coat of plates (from Battle of Visby). And a loving MASSIVE tank of a flat top barrel helm...

Canvas-backed Type 3 (vertical instead of horizontal plates) for me, but same. I ditched the loaner barrel helm for a bascinet though, as I got tired of getting rung like a bell. :v:

Eventually made 'stealth' brig that closed on both sides instead of the back and had shoulders strapped like a Japanese Do, and threw a tunic over.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Liquid Communism posted:

Canvas-backed Type 3 (vertical instead of horizontal plates) for me, but same. I ditched the loaner barrel helm for a bascinet though, as I got tired of getting rung like a bell. :v:

Eventually made 'stealth' brig that closed on both sides instead of the back and had shoulders strapped like a Japanese Do, and threw a tunic over.

Yeah that was one of the first things I swapped out. I had Adam at White Mountain Armoury (long gone) make me one of the first kettle helms he ever made for SCA fighting.

I fought in this with a corrizina for a while

Then updated to a better 9 piece breastplate and better leg and arms:

I'm on the right. Didn't have time to attach my aventail here before this demo:

Then into a Al Tadesca harness (milanese made, gothic style)

and finally into this (I'm on the left)