Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Endless Mike posted:

don't quote tesla stymie

no do. i havent seen a good cobbing in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

lol B5 and C5 being your point of reference for audi automobiles explains a lot. yeah a 2018 model 3 is probably faster with a more reliable drivetrain than either of those.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

one of the main points of the model 3 was supposed to be its superior/easier maintenance due to being so much simpler than an ice car so i don't know why you're even harping on that point, kotex

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

flakeloaf posted:

sounds like a conductor problem

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

5 audi models*

tell me about your love for the E46. do you find that the subframe ripping away from the chassis is a fair and normal state for a car.

i like ur taste in cars too (i looked at an e46 m3 recently and would have bought it if the subframe had been replaced) its just that you are more forgiving with having to "wrench" them all the time than a normal user ought to be, which is really what this is all about, so

Kotex, you are getting me all exited for Posting today, Hot drat.

Heres a little bit of my philosophy on car ownership and the philosophy of the german market, specifically of that time.

First of all, these cars come with something ancient called an owners manual. In case of the BMW E46, it is 173 pages long. Page 109 to Page 157 discuss the Maintenance, Servicing and technical Data of the vehicle. When BMW designed the E46, they expected the owners to study this meticulously.

On Page 124 of the BMW E46 owners manual, there is a mentioning that additional service information can be found in the Service Booklet that coems with every car.

When we take a look at an E46 service Booklet, you find that there are indeed 3 options. Oil service, Inspection 1 and Inspection 2.

Because the Car has a Lifecycle Management Computer, the service booklet does not give discrete time and mileage info about inspections, you can be certain though to see Inpsection 1 coming up at least every 22000 Km or every 2 Years

Going into the service booklet we find the Individual steps taken for Inspection 1 on the pages 23-26. I would like to bring attention here to the Page 26 of the service booklet.

let me translate that for you

"Unterboden incl. aller sichtbaren Teile: Kontrolle auf Schäden, Dichtigkeit und Korrosion"

"underbody including all visibile parts : Control for Damage, Sealing and Corrosion"

this means that, according to the Service schedule the manufacturer intended, you should, at the latest, have your underbody checked for Corrosion every 24 months. From experience i can tell you the People at the service centerwill jump at the first sight of corrosion or even just lack of protetction with fire in their eyes because there hardly is a more lucrative work to bill than body work on a car. Even if that means they bill you 25€ for spraying Cavity protection or Wax on the underbody for 10 seconds. But this does the trick.

If the car is serviced according to its designated service schedule and the service is done in best interrest with the vehicle longevity, there is basically no rust problem on open undercarriage or sub frames. Hence forth the Problem is basically unknown in germany, the domestic market (and yes we also salt our roads). The only known issue is rust on the front Fenders, which is annoying but not remotely as hard to repair or replace.

Of course, when people neglect the quality and quantity of their cars service (doesnt have to be the owner, the shop can be just as neglecting - hence why i service and repair my vehicles myself to ensure the service quality) it is no wonder these hideous issues like rusted sub frames happen. But you cant fault the car for people not reading the instructions manual.

Or in short. You want the german premium experience, you have to adapt to the german premium experience or you will not have a good time.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

flakeloaf posted:

tesla koan: if you're stuck troubleshooting your car on the path, break it
Before the first Model 3 was announced, how much did you love the car?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

muckswirler posted:

lol B5 and C5 being your point of reference for audi automobiles explains a lot. yeah a 2018 model 3 is probably faster with a more reliable drivetrain than either of those.

I thought the c5 was a corvette

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i think kotex was more talking about the subframe tearing that is a problem on e46 cars in general. it's really not a problem unless you're tracking the car.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lightbulb Out posted:

i think kotex was more talking about the subframe tearing that is a problem on e46 cars in general. it's really not a problem unless you're tracking the car.

ahhh you mean these bad boys

Nr.2,4 in the picture

The "Tonnenlager" they are called. I bought Polyurethane ones for my E36 that i had. but the originals never wore out. i still have the assembly/disassembly tools laying around somewhere that i paid 70 DM for back in the old days.

a good call indeed, but its a necessary chassis complication to get into the required NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) Amplitudes without sacrificing wheel precision or feedback.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 19, 2018

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Combat Theory posted:

ahhh you mean these bad boys

Nr.2,4 in the picture

The "Tonnenlager" they are called. I bought Polyurethane ones for my E36 that i had. but the originals never wore out. i still have the assembly/disassembly tools laying around somewhere that i paid 70 DM for back in the old days.

a good call indeed, but its a necessary chassis complication to get into the required NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) Amplitudes without sacrificing wheel precision or feedback.

nope, the bushings are fine - it literally tears the chassis where the subframe attaches to the car.

its an issue with track driven or really aggressively street driven e46s of all kinds. there's a variety of fixes but the good ones reinforce the area of the floor where the subframe attaches and reroutes the energy to the unibody "frame rails" in a better manner.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Wow i stand corrected. thanks, i never heard about that. Ill ask some friends at BMW about it because i can imagine they did something about that on the M3

E: well that was quick. Friend knew the issue, said it runs under Chassis inspection since the initial micro fractures will generate visible rust lines on an intact rust protection layer.

BMW gives material and process clearance for weld-on repair kits

also the issue will likely be prevented by tightening up the Tonnenlager situation since it limits the sub frames mobility.

aniways, thanks to you 2, that was an interresting topic

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 19, 2018

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I thought the c5 was a corvette

it's also the slightly larger platform that the A6 was built on from the late nineties to like 2005ish. the b5/c5 era engines are notorious for throwing timing belts and having oil sludge problems and starving the turbos and some electrical problems. namely the 1.8t and 2.7tt, but yeah those cars can be nice enough if you're willing to wrench. they kinda mark the end of the VAG reliability issues and most everything after them has been really good.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Combat Theory posted:

Wow i stand corrected. thanks, i never heard about that. Ill ask some friends at BMW about it because i can imagine they did something about that on the M3

they didn't. the m3's have the issue as well. i believe there's a bmw reinforcement kit but the aftermarket ones are better including the "vince brace"

i'll stick with my e30s

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lightbulb Out posted:

i'll stick with my e30s

they have gotten so incredibly expensive the last few years. wish i got one when they were still cheap. i have an e34 with a 24V 2.5L that is basically factory new condition... that one has gotten quite valuable i tell you

End of Car Derail.

:elongate:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i think the difference between the large manufacturers issues compared to teslas come down to the tesla issues being a lot more obvious and should have been noticed with any modicum of testing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

there is no iphone of cars, so the analogy doesnt work
porsche would like a word

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

i think the difference between the large manufacturers issues compared to teslas come down to the tesla issues being a lot more obvious and should have been noticed with any modicum of testing

probably a lot of institutional knowledge and a shitload of revenue to fund a testing program that would’ve caught a lot of the dumbest issues

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

porsche would like a word

umm i think you will find that porsche branded phones are specifically of the android variety, specifically the kawaii huawei mate 10

pleb

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know who you are but I've seen a number of your posts now about the German car industry and I like em

car fishmech

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Combat Theory posted:

developed in the notorious VW- Lopez era which spawned the worst build qualities in company history

oooh, would this include a 2004 beetle? because the wife owns one and it is such a tremendous piece of poo poo that i refuse to buy european cars any more

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

redleader posted:

car fishmech

carmech

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

redleader posted:

oooh, would this include a 2004 beetle? because the wife owns one and it is such a tremendous piece of poo poo that i refuse to buy european cars any more

it was probably made in mexico, if that helps

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Combat Theory posted:

they have gotten so incredibly expensive the last few years. wish i got one when they were still cheap. i have an e34 with a 24V 2.5L that is basically factory new condition... that one has gotten quite valuable i tell you

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2809820&goto=lastpost join us. im planning my retirement on my 3.5 e30s.

i recently met the guy who did the teardown of the tesla, munro associates, and got invited to their facility to check out the disassembled tesla. really looking forward to it next time i'm in detroit.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lightbulb Out posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2809820&goto=lastpost join us. im planning my retirement on my 3.5 e30s.

i recently met the guy who did the teardown of the tesla, munro associates, and got invited to their facility to check out the disassembled tesla. really looking forward to it next time i'm in detroit.

thanks, i made an introduction post

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

infernal machines posted:

l to the m to the a to the o.

that's some quality engineering there lou

homer-making-speed-holes-with-a-pickax.gif

john carmech, the rich tech nerd libertarian who's into cars and founded his own private aerospace company

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

redleader posted:

it was probably made in mexico, if that helps

yeah, what's the first three digits of the vin?

if it's '3VW' that's vw of mexico

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think they call them transformers now.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

l to the m to the a to the o.

that's some quality engineering there lou

:lol::lol::lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRsZ5pAOh4w

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

I think they call them transformers now.

Lawsuits in disguise

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

1. bumper fills with water
2. bumper freezes in winter; explodes from ice
3. permanent structural damage; car is a total loss

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

Kotex, you are getting me all exited for Posting today, Hot drat.

Heres a little bit of my philosophy on car ownership and the philosophy of the german market, specifically of that time.

First of all, these cars come with something ancient called an owners manual. In case of the BMW E46, it is 173 pages long. Page 109 to Page 157 discuss the Maintenance, Servicing and technical Data of the vehicle. When BMW designed the E46, they expected the owners to study this meticulously.

On Page 124 of the BMW E46 owners manual, there is a mentioning that additional service information can be found in the Service Booklet that coems with every car.

When we take a look at an E46 service Booklet, you find that there are indeed 3 options. Oil service, Inspection 1 and Inspection 2.

Because the Car has a Lifecycle Management Computer, the service booklet does not give discrete time and mileage info about inspections, you can be certain though to see Inpsection 1 coming up at least every 22000 Km or every 2 Years

Going into the service booklet we find the Individual steps taken for Inspection 1 on the pages 23-26. I would like to bring attention here to the Page 26 of the service booklet.

let me translate that for you

"Unterboden incl. aller sichtbaren Teile: Kontrolle auf Schäden, Dichtigkeit und Korrosion"

"underbody including all visibile parts : Control for Damage, Sealing and Corrosion"

this means that, according to the Service schedule the manufacturer intended, you should, at the latest, have your underbody checked for Corrosion every 24 months. From experience i can tell you the People at the service centerwill jump at the first sight of corrosion or even just lack of protetction with fire in their eyes because there hardly is a more lucrative work to bill than body work on a car. Even if that means they bill you 25€ for spraying Cavity protection or Wax on the underbody for 10 seconds. But this does the trick.

If the car is serviced according to its designated service schedule and the service is done in best interrest with the vehicle longevity, there is basically no rust problem on open undercarriage or sub frames. Hence forth the Problem is basically unknown in germany, the domestic market (and yes we also salt our roads). The only known issue is rust on the front Fenders, which is annoying but not remotely as hard to repair or replace.

Of course, when people neglect the quality and quantity of their cars service (doesnt have to be the owner, the shop can be just as neglecting - hence why i service and repair my vehicles myself to ensure the service quality) it is no wonder these hideous issues like rusted sub frames happen. But you cant fault the car for people not reading the instructions manual.

Or in short. You want the german premium experience, you have to adapt to the german premium experience or you will not have a good time.

i paid a lot of money for my penis car i just want it to go vroom vroom without having to do all this bullshit!! ugh, germans!!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Rex-Goliath posted:

what's a good luxury car / good normal car?

i don't know poo poo about them and am interested

new model miata / old model miata

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shame Boy posted:

i paid a lot of money for my penis car i just want it to go vroom vroom without having to do all this bullshit!! ugh, germans!!

little red penis car

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Teslae are designed for bringing slush to forest fires.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

no do. i havent seen a good cobbing in a while.

man this thread got interesting for once

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

George posted:

Teslae are designed for bringing slush to forest fires.

or in lay speak "$420 per share, funding secured"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I drive a Nissan op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hell, same

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

So you didn't mention newer german cars in your "whats a good new car" answer Combat Theory, and I'm curious if thats because you don't think there are any being made in Germany today, or you don't feel at liberty to talk about it (completely understandable). At any rate I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the good/bad things happening in the industry, specifically in Germany.

I bought a GTI about a year ago and aside from the front seats being a little narrow on my legs its been fine. The idea that "an audi is a rebadged VW" is sort of a selling feature if you're buying the latter, and it was the styling and appointment of the cabin that really sold me on the GTI vs hot hatches from Ford, etc. Maybe its all cheap widow dressing but it worked on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ADINSX posted:

I bought a GTI about a year ago and aside from the front seats being a little narrow on my legs its been fine. The idea that "an audi is a rebadged VW" is sort of a selling feature if you're buying the latter, and it was the styling and appointment of the cabin that really sold me on the GTI vs hot hatches from Ford, etc. Maybe its all cheap widow dressing but it worked on me.

Well, to be fair, they largely are rebadged VWs, and I say that as an Audi nutcase. After the B3/B4 platform, VW forced Audi to begin using a shared platform for almost all their cars, at least chassis wise. Audi was allowed to use different paneling, interior, etc, but the engines and powertrain had to share common components with VWs.

The only Audis that Audi has full creative control over is S models.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 20, 2018