Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think we're pretty much in a WWI style stalemate with grocers. The ones that were going to die have folded and now the remaining companies keep their same market share give or take a percentage point every year. If someone like ALDI enters a market they'll take a few points off every other chain rather than decimate one competitor's customer base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Randalls is starting to pull out of Houston as HEB makes its grand march across Texas. Dallas should be getting absorbed pretty soon as well.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Failson posted:

I have a bad feeling about Kroger, and all the regional grocers they've absorbed.

At least in my metro area, it's Kroger or Wal-Mart. They're both notorious for closing stores in distressed neighborhoods where there are no other food options, being poorly stocked, poorly staffed, and generally behaving like they know that people don't have a better option. It's a race for the bottom.

Yeah, I could shop at Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or the local mom and pop chain but they're worse on price and selection and I end up having to go to Kroger or Wal-Mart anyway.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

George H.W. oval office posted:

Randalls is starting to pull out of Houston as HEB makes its grand march across Texas. Dallas should be getting absorbed pretty soon as well.

All praise to HEB.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Here in California, some grocer named Haggen tried to expand into the state a couple years back by buying up like 150 different other grocery stores and rebranding them. It ended up being a huge disaster and they had to close all of them within the year. Supposedly they were given bad pricing data from the company they bought the stores from (Albertsons) and massively overpriced everything.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Henker posted:

Here in California, some grocer named Haggen tried to expand into the state a couple years back by buying up like 150 different other grocery stores and rebranding them. It ended up being a huge disaster and they had to close all of them within the year. Supposedly they were given bad pricing data from the company they bought the stores from (Albertsons) and massively overpriced everything.

Yeah, after the Safeway/Albertson's merger, they were told they had to sell (not close) X numbers of stores, so they sold poorly performing stores to Haggens and set them up hard to fail.

We have actually had several Frys (Kroger) store closures here in Tucson but it's almost all in areas where Walmart threw a store down either across the street of within a block or two. Kind of sucks because those Walmart stores are actually expensive compared to Frys.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Goober Peas posted:

At least in my metro area, it's Kroger or Wal-Mart. They're both notorious for closing stores in distressed neighborhoods where there are no other food options, being poorly stocked, poorly staffed, and generally behaving like they know that people don't have a better option. It's a race for the bottom.

Yeah, I could shop at Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or the local mom and pop chain but they're worse on price and selection and I end up having to go to Kroger or Wal-Mart anyway.

Kroger is good when it has any competition. Without it they might as well be Pigglywiggly or instert-your-own-lovely-regional-grocery-chain

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

A budget clothing chain went out of business here in Switzerland and got bought out by an Italian budget clothing chain. They took like 2 months doing up the big 4 story store near me and it closed almost exatcly a year later. The stated reason was 'we underestimated the rent.'

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Henker posted:

And now there's basically Safeway:barf: and various flavours of Raleys.

Safeway is usually terrible inside and they have huge employee turnover because there's too much work for the number of employees they have. Crunch time at major holidays or whatever is acceptable, but no one can give 110% every single day. Everything is good whenever they open a new store/remodel, but 4-6 months after that everything's hosed up again.

I know it's capitalism, but I think most people can feel whether a store is happy or sad, and companies need to realise that a few extra employees are worth the cost.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Safeway opened a handful of stores in a few parts of FL, and within a year Publix bought them out.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sprouts is like Whole Foods minus the prices. It’s rad. Great bulk section too

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

:yeah:

I get most of my groceries from Sprouts, Trader Joes, and the farmers market.

Sometimes you just need canned Ravioli, though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Crunch time at major holidays or whatever is acceptable,

:wrong:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Aldi's came in and the food beats walmart by a mile tbh, hell they drove the price of milk and eggs through the floor and the meat is miles better then walmart. Helps to that they pay people decent and it always seems nice and not dirty

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Kroger absolutely dominates my city, with some Food Lions peppering the area. And of course the Wal-Marts.

Wegmans keeps encroaching further and further south, but I don't think they can do the "buy up old stores" thing now that they have, in northern VA at least, the reputation for being so big you can practically see them from orbit like the Great Wall of China. You just can't squish a Wegmans into a dying Food Lion space, but lord knows how this upstate NYer would love to see them try. Kroger has their regional HQ here, though, and I wonder if that's why Wegmans has picked, for example, Charlottesville and VA Beach over Roanoke or Blacksburg.

Whenever I'd drive back home to NY, it seemed like every fourth semi was a Wegmans truck. C'mon, we're right on I-81, just keep driving a little further south!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sadly the closest sprouts where I live is terrible, which I hate because I moved away from one that was awesome

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also the Safeway and Kroger here recently ramped up the competition since Safeway rebranded a pretty awful Albertsons, and I guess Kroger just gave up recently because both stores surrounding it went to poo poo about the same time, while Safeway is still running enough employees. Im hoping by the time Safeway goes back to their baseline, the Sprouts will have recovered from whatever the gently caress management did to it

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Christmas and Thanksgiving are always going to be tough no matter how many coworkers you have.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Kroger absolutely dominates my city, with some Food Lions peppering the area. And of course the Wal-Marts.

Wegmans keeps encroaching further and further south, but I don't think they can do the "buy up old stores" thing now that they have, in northern VA at least, the reputation for being so big you can practically see them from orbit like the Great Wall of China. You just can't squish a Wegmans into a dying Food Lion space, but lord knows how this upstate NYer would love to see them try. Kroger has their regional HQ here, though, and I wonder if that's why Wegmans has picked, for example, Charlottesville and VA Beach over Roanoke or Blacksburg.

Whenever I'd drive back home to NY, it seemed like every fourth semi was a Wegmans truck. C'mon, we're right on I-81, just keep driving a little further south!

We're getting several in Raleigh!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
WinCo is my only hope.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm still amazed Winn Dixie and Piggly Wiggly survive.

Also Ingles, which always has AMERICAN OWNED displayed across the front because besides ALDI there's a rash of dirty foreigners selling us eggs.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Years ago before Albertsons closed, I did print work for a corp shill for Albertsons, and he proudly showed me their new idea of customer retention: LOYALTY CARDS. Keep in mind this was about a year after everyone else had them and people were sick of being offered new cards.

The two Sprouts closest to me have had iffy food. One was openly selling strawberries that were white with fungus (several containers, not just one off), and the other I bought some mixed baby greens from, but when I got the box home, I found the entire inside was rotten. When I called the store to see if I could come back to exchange it, the manager threw a shitfit that I had to come back TONIGHT and they'd have to verify all kinds of poo poo to insure I wasn't trying to scam them. Over $5 of produce. So never went back.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Queen Combat posted:

WinCo is my only hope.

Glory to the WinCo.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Years ago before Albertsons closed

Albertsons still exists tho. Or do you mean before it merged with Safeway?

Funny, both Albertsons and WinCo started/are headquartered in Boise. I grew up in the north so was surprised as heck when I saw both of them after moving to AZ, thinking everything about my home state was an embarrassment

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Queen Combat posted:

Funny, both Albertsons and WinCo started/are headquartered in Boise. I grew up in the north so was surprised as heck when I saw both of them after moving to AZ, thinking everything about my home state was an embarrassment

There's a few odd companies out of Boise.

Suck a Dick No Homo
Apr 22, 2008
This was the worst page in the history of the forums

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Suck a Dick No Homo posted:

This was the worst page in the history of the forums

Go post in D&D and I'm sure you can top yourself.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Queen Combat posted:

Albertson's is the dominant entity in that merger unfortunately. Making Safeway get rid of self checkout and 24 hour stores just doesn't make sense for the community but it's The Albertson's Way!!!!!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Every Albertsons I've been in (Idaho, Arizona) has self checkout. The one in my hometown got their self checkouts years before the local Walmart did, and it's a town of barely 30k people.

Of course, I haven't been in one in probably over a year.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Henker posted:

There was a Von's out in the ghetto part of Chula Vista that I shopped at all the time. It was more expensive then the other grocery stores in the area and because of that was virtually empty. It was nice going shopping and being one of maybe 3 people in the store. It got turned into a Haggen and they raised the prices to the point that the cost wasn't worth the convenience. I believe it last maybe 3 months before closing up.
Any rep from Haggen could've walked down that street and seen there was no way they could survive at that location. They did no research at all.

I looked up their wiki and apparently Haggen purchased 146 Safeway and Albertson's stores they legally had to sell as part of an anti-monopoly requirement of the Safeway/Albertson's merger. Once Haggen failed and closed all the shittier stores, Albertson's bought them and regained control of all the highest preforming stores they were forced to sell. But I guess :capitalism:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently David’s Bridal filed for Chapter 11 today

This is to wipeout takeover debt, not to disappear like Alfred Angelo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ElwoodCuse posted:

This is to wipeout takeover debt, not to disappear like Alfred Angelo
Countdown to 50 articles accusing Millennials of destroying the wedding industry

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Kroger is from Cincinnati, so they're everywhere around here. There appear to be two classes of Kroger, the baseline Kroger really is the baseline grocery store in the area, the fancy Krogers aren't terribly different, but they do have a better deli section and nice cheeses out the rear end. It seems like they gave up on the Marketplace line because Walmart really has the non-grocery on lock.

Walmart is always the bottom of the barrel food wise, produce is anemic, meats are only good if you are having a ground beef emergency.

Aldi is the best for anything generic. I like meats and fruits from Aldi because they're smaller portions, and as a single person I don't need a shitload. Aldi has the best frozen and take n bake pizzas

Meijer's produce is king, when I first went into one I thought that they were painting their peppers, but apparently they just have an excellent supply chain. Their meat is also generally of better quality and they're the only grocery chain in the area that still cuts their own meat.

Surprisingly there are actually a couple other chains nearby, but they're out of my way so I can't comment on them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also Ingles, which always has AMERICAN OWNED displayed across the front because besides ALDI there's a rash of dirty foreigners selling us eggs.

They ain't fooling me! Heck, they can't even spell "English" in English!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
ALDI, Walmart, and Target all get their meat cut/packaged in a central location and shipped out to the stores. My wife hates that and mocks me mercilessly if I buy ground beef from ALDI.

So depends on how you like your meat. She likes her's handled in the store (insert innuendo here).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My friends do you remember the tale of Fresh 'n Easy stores?

UK grocer tries to expand into U.S. by offering fresh baked bread and store brand take n go foods (good poo poo like shepherd's pie and other goodies) but forgot to adjust to U.S. tastes (we hate watercress salad) and include U.S. brands. They failed terribly after a labor dispute and all closed.

Shame, since they regularly had a Clearance section of all the fresh food that was getting close to sell date. The rows of mashed potatoes after Thanksgiving was a sight to behold.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Seconding the shoutout on Wegmans, I miss being near one. I Worked at Wegmans for 8ish years during high school and college, and it was a really good place to work part time. I never worked full time, but they seemed like a company that actually cared about their employees.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Countdown to 50 articles accusing Millennials of destroying the wedding industry
Countdown over.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Krispy Wafer posted:

My wife hates that and mocks me mercilessly if I buy ground beef from ALDI.

I love Trader Joe's meat which is probably the same. Having an exact pound is good for recipes, and I assume they irradiate it or something which gives it a decent shelf life.

FilthyImp posted:

My friends do you remember the tale of Fresh 'n Easy stores?

Fresh and easy was amazing while it lasted. And they had these good rhubarb tarts.

Duckman2008 posted:

Seconding the shoutout on Wegmans, I miss being near one.

My wife grew up in the same neighborhood where one of the Wegmans lived. Their local store is unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

LuLaRoe is facing mounting debt, layoffs, and an exodus of top sellers, and sources say the $2.3 billion legging empire could be imploding

quote:

• LuLaRoe is a multilevel-marketing company that generated $2.3 billion in sales in 2017. It made its name producing limited quantities of brightly patterned clothing and selling it, sight unseen, to "consultants." These consultants turn around and sell the clothes direct to consumer, often to friends and family at house parties and over social media.

• Some consultants have made $80,000 a month, but over the past 18 months tens of thousands of sellers have left the company. That includes one-third of LuLaRoe's top performers, who have exited since July, according to data reviewed by Business Insider.

• Some who left say they've been waiting months for refund checks. "We are barely scraping by," said former LuLaRoe seller Merilisse Beyelia. She claims LuLaRoe owes her $7,000 and that she's struggling to afford diapers for her disabled children.

• LuLaRoe said in a filing that it laid off 127 people from one of its two distribution centers in June. And some sources claim the company is overdue on payments to suppliers.

• LuLaRoe founder DeAnne Stidham insists publicly in Instagram videos that everything is fine. She urges sellers to trust her and to buy more goods, according to several hours of recordings viewed by Business Insider as recently as late October.