Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
For some reason I wasn't expecting this, but Kero Kero Bonito was loving amazing live. I saw them at Thalia Hall, and they totally killed it. They were loud and energetic, and the crowd was amazing. Lots of stuff from the new album, very rock-heavy stuff and it jammed. Plus, they played an insanely heavy version of Trampoline for the encore. I would def see them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Chvrches released a 5 song EP that is all acoustic/string quartet and it's very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJiMckc-EQc

boygenius did a tiny desk as well: https://www.npr.org/2018/11/15/668198418/boygenius-tiny-desk-concert

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 16, 2018

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've got potentially four concerts coming up in Chicago and Chvrches is one of them. I haven't seen them yet, bc I regrettably skipped a chance to go to a show last(?) year.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I should get tickets for the Young Fathers and Charly Bliss shows coming up.

Shows I decided to skip and later regretted:
Chvrches @Metro
Fever Ray @Metro
Tacocat @Empty Bottle (?)
Adam and the Ants doing Kings of the Wild Frontier @Vic
The Breeders doing Last Splash @Metro
Dizzy @IDR
The Courtneys @Schubas

Shows to which I went and later regretted:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've passed on Tacocat twice and I don't know why. I want to see them, but I just don't buy the ticket.

Don't skip Chvrches or Charly Bliss.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Charly Bliss owns you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't go.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

Shows I decided to skip and later regretted:
Chvrches @Metro
Fever Ray @Metro
Tacocat @Empty Bottle (?)
Adam and the Ants doing Kings of the Wild Frontier @Vic
The Breeders doing Last Splash @Metro
Dizzy @IDR
The Courtneys @Schubas

Goddamn, this is a brutal list, I'm so sorry, dude

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

DasNeonLicht posted:

TO BE FAIR it seems that I'm terrible at recognizing patterns of stupid behavior.

Also I had seen the Courtneys less than a year before at the same venue. And I'm seeing them again with Cloud Nothings at Thalia Hall in less than a month. And I promise to do better. I have been doing better. I can turn this around.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
https://www.npr.org/2018/11/15/668198418/boygenius-tiny-desk-concert

boygenius tiny desk concert. imo we're very lucky to be alive while julien baker is making music

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Saw Tacocat in St. Louis two years ago with what was a pretty small crowd. It's a great show. Charly Bliss has done shows near me twice but both times it was when I was gone for the season and I'm still mad about it.

Shows I've missed due to my stupid job:
Charly Bliss
The Coathangers
A Giant Dog (this one honestly hurts the most. They seem amazing live)
Caitlin Rose
Charly Bliss AGAIN

Shows I managed to see thanks to my stupid job:
A Fleetwood Mac cover band (didn't actually go)

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
So, I just discovered Desperate Journalist, and I strongly recommend them if you like The Organ (singer doing her best Katie Sketch impression here), The Smiths, The Cure, Gene or Savages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNwQTRLHTE8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMpvKbVs5rA

"Distance" is also another a beautiful track — maybe my favorite — beautiful melodic bass line, lyrics about travel and suburban ennui, and a 1-minute outro where the singer intones "I've lost you" over and over. :getin:

I can't believe how good they sound and why they aren't bigger? :confused:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DasNeonLicht posted:

I decided not to see Elliott Smith at the other stage at a festival so I wouldn’t lose my spot and then he killed himself like 4 months later

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Thom and the Heads posted:

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/15/668198418/boygenius-tiny-desk-concert

boygenius tiny desk concert. imo we're very lucky to be alive while julien baker is making music

I wholeheartedly had this same sentiment. Her and the whole Boygenius collab feel so special and I am so happy to be experiencing it. I don't know if more will come of them, but gently caress they are forever re shaping music.

As much as I've enjoyed crying all the time, I needed a break. The Coathangers are a fun garage rock group and I might so see them in a few months.

Anyone see Death from Above 1979 before? They are playing their old EP and more tomorrow night and I'm a maybe on it. I am a old curmudgeon though and don't like youths getting rowdy around me.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I decided not to see Elliott Smith at the other stage at a festival so I wouldn’t lose my spot and then he killed himself like 4 months later

Ok, well thats it you win

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slandible posted:

I don't know if more will come of them, but gently caress they are forever re shaping music.

Ok what? I mean they are decent and all but what are they doing to reshape music?

I feel like goons are flipping out extra hard over them (and Julien Baker) and I just don't get it.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Murdered bruh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Slandible posted:

Anyone see Death from Above 1979 before? They are playing their old EP and more tomorrow night and I'm a maybe on it. I am a old curmudgeon though and don't like youths getting rowdy around me.

I have but not since they started making new music and also I was a 19-year-old at Lollapalooza so I was okay with rowdy youths at the time. They're pretty fun.

BonoMan posted:

Ok what? I mean they are decent and all but what are they doing to reshape music?

I feel like goons are flipping out extra hard over them (and Julien Baker) and I just don't get it.

People in general flip out way too much about them. They're all cool people and they make good (but low key kind of boring) music but the folks who claim to weep openly every time Julien Baker sings a note need to chill.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
JB writes very good songs and only seems to be getting better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slandible posted:

Twice in the last few years. They rule live. If you ever listened to their studio stuff and wondered "How the hell are just 2 guys pulling this off?", their live shows give off that same vibe.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"How the hell are just 2 guys pulling this off?"

Cocaine

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Eh, I get goons bandwagon, but this is some of the best music I've seen come around in years. So I'm going to gush about it.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
One thing I'm learning as I get to be old and boring is that ragging on things other people like is just the least productive thing we can do. The only thing I've ever accomplished from saying "I don't like this thing other people like" unsolicited is annoying the people who do like it.

I say this as a big Baker stan but the concept leaks out to other things. Feel like we just need to let each other live and enjoy what we enjoy

Baker, Bridgers, and Dacus rule apart and together

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ThatsMyBoye posted:

One thing I'm learning as I get to be old and boring is that ragging on things other people like is just the least productive thing we can do. The only thing I've ever accomplished from saying "I don't like this thing other people like" unsolicited is annoying the people who do like it.

I say this as a big Baker stan but the concept leaks out to other things. Feel like we just need to let each other live and enjoy what we enjoy

I think pointing out that they aren’t revolutionizing music and that people are a bit hyperbolic is different than the unprompted “I don’t like this!” style of music criticism.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think pointing out that they aren’t revolutionizing music and that people are a bit hyperbolic is different than the unprompted “I don’t like this!” style of music criticism.

Yeah that's where I'm coming from. I like both JB and boygenius. I'm definitely not trying to be all "your music is crap." Just wondering where this sort of explosive obsession has come from.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Slandible posted:

I saw them live a few years ago, and maybe it was the small space, but it was the loudest show I have ever been to. It was amazing, though. This was right after they released their first comeback album, and it made me like the album more.

On the other hand, the crowd was pretty rowdy. So, if this is not your thing, may not be the best. As someone who is old and likes to chill in the back now, I was not expecting a second mosh pit to open up at the back of the place during the encore.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I will also champion going to see DFA and agree the pit will get rowdy and it will be loud. It was awesome.

Everyone ragging on music is a combination of the Simpsons “keep on rocking forever” and “no it’s the children who are wrong” but I understand it completely because I am continually embarrassed by the new bands coming out of the emo revival scene.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Actually, annoying people is cool

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Good thing I've always been good at being uncool

Miya Folick, on the other hand,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4pixzY-kxs

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Good thing I've always been good at being uncool

Miya Folick, on the other hand,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4pixzY-kxs

Give it to Me popped up in my recommended playlist a while back and goddamn I can't get enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOpQYqNfdnc

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Charly Bliss owns you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't go.

I liked Charly Bliss a lot until my wife complained about the her vocals being too shrill/chipmunky, and now I can't unhear it.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
gently caress, now I feel bad for having missed Charly Bliss when they opened for Death Cab last month.

Though that Death Cab show was amazing, and we even got a Lauren Mayberry guest appearance out of it.

Also, boygenius isn't revolutionary in terms of their sound, but having seen them live two weeks ago, this tour is clearly the best time to see them (perhaps even the only time) and is going to present bragging rights to everybody who got to be in the audience for them.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

resident posted:

I liked Charly Bliss a lot until my wife complained about the her vocals being too shrill/chipmunky, and now I can't unhear it.

Part of the charm IMO.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Literally none of the current crop of guitar driven indie rock is "revolutionary in sound". It's all been done time and time again, that doesn't mean it's bad. But yeah it's all genre styling that's been done for decades at this point. I cannot think of one band in the indie scene right now that has heat and is pushing boundaries.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

T Bowl posted:

Literally none of the current crop of guitar driven indie rock is "revolutionary in sound". It's all been done time and time again, that doesn't mean it's bad. But yeah it's all genre styling that's been done for decades at this point. I cannot think of one band in the indie scene right now that has heat and is pushing boundaries.

Though it's nothing revolutionary, I think nothing quite sounds like Car Seat Headrest. It is definitely a product of various influences, though.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I love this unknown band and the vocalist reminds me of one of the Wild Beasts(rip) guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgX7DmH0EgE

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

T Bowl posted:

I love this unknown band and the vocalist reminds me of one of the Wild Beasts(rip) guys.

hmmm this appears to be extremely my poo poo, thank you for posting

i've spent this year getting further into 80s music and i'm now trying real hard to course correct and find actual current music that i like and can go see live (outside the context of depressing reunion tours), and i'm unsurprisingly getting into a lot of synthpop stuff. i find a lot of it is just "80s music but objectively shittier," though, and stuff like this still sounds new and exciting to me, so i appreciate you sharing it

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I got great recommendations in the punk thread for this, so asking here too. I didn't listen to much new music this year. What did I miss?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Schremp Howard posted:

I got great recommendations in the punk thread for this, so asking here too. I didn't listen to much new music this year. What did I miss?

Cocoa Sugar by Young Fathers is the album of the year.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Beelerzebub posted:

Though it's nothing revolutionary, I think nothing quite sounds like Car Seat Headrest. It is definitely a product of various influences, though.
I promise you that any indie band you can name sounds like at least one indie band from between 15 and 20 years ago.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The best indie rock record of the year is Low's "Double Negative" and it's not even an indie rock record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It definitely isn't indie and no one probably cares, but I'm a fan of the new Mumford & Sons album :unsmith: