Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Limitless: Were the side effects in the movie, or was that invented for the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
That new She-Ra and the Princesses of Power reboot just hit The Netflix today. I was never into He-Man or She-Ra back in the day, but I thought I'd check out an episode of this just because it made all the Old Men For Whomst This Is Not For so angry. Four episodes later I'm ready to die for this show. It's clever, and funny, and so very much the show that the world in 2018 needs. I love it so loving much.

E: Now nine episodes deep, and I cannot stress enough how funny this show is. I mean actual belly laughs on the reg. Ep 9 of this show, which is not a comedy, is one of the funniest comedy episodes I've ever seen. That whole episode in fact, with the action and the ending, is one of the top 5 episodes of anything ever made. Y'all need to watch the gently caress out of this show.

E: Finished it. God drat this show owns so loving hard.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 14, 2018

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Parkingtigers posted:

That new She-Ra and the Princesses of Power reboot just hit The Netflix today. I was never into He-Man or She-Ra back in the day, but I thought I'd check out an episode of this just because it made all the Old Men For Whomst This Is Not For so angry. Four episodes later I'm ready to die for this show. It's clever, and funny, and so very much the show that the world in 2018 needs. I love it so loving much.

E: Now nine episodes deep, and I cannot stress enough how funny this show is. I mean actual belly laughs on the reg. Ep 9 of this show, which is not a comedy, is one of the funniest comedy episodes I've ever seen. That whole episode in fact, with the action and the ending, is one of the top 5 episodes of anything ever made. Y'all need to watch the gently caress out of this show.

I felt like the finale was a bit abrupt with the character introductions, but god drat was this first season stellar. Makes me feel bad for disenchantment.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Disenchantment felt off the moment I noticed that, despite having a female lead, that 95% of the time she's surrounded by and only interacting with male characters. The Smurfette syndrome was too strong for me to look past that.

I already want to rewatch She-Ra. Could see what was coming in the finale (final ep spoilers) as the whole "every other good hero turns up just when you think all is lost" is cliché as hell, but I ALWAYS get a thrill from it when it happens. The added comedic hit of Sea Hawk and Mermista's little double act just made it a solid minute of rollercoaster emotions. Fear and sadness for heroes about to lose, the exhilaration of reinforcements turning up, the laughter of a great gag delivered perfectly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just finished the first episode of the new season of Patriot and god drat I’m glad this show is back

It's not great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah it’s awesome I liked it just as much as s1

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I just finished both seasons of The Sinner. Season 1 was great - really strong ensemble acting with a story that moved gracefully enough that a shocking twist wasn't necessary to buoy the show - but season 2 just felt messy and obvious, like the writers needed to painstakingly baby the audience through the show's themes.

Bill Pullman is good but I'm not sure how much mileage they're gonna be able to get from milking the overall concept at this rate.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's excessively padded for an 8 ep run, has a strange sitcom-y bit in the middle where all the memorable characters from season one are friends now and come back to hug and have a big party (including one guy I was sure was dead), and like season one it manages to feel like less than the sum of its parts (of which there were a lot less good ones than in season one) because a lot of things the characters anticipate/set out to accomplish never happen due to constant changes of plans/bad intelligence.

I also found the frequent use of blurred vision irritating.

B+ while watching, C when thinking back on it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Started Bosch the other night intending to just watch the first couple eps. Ended up watching through the 6th episode and going to bed around 2:30AM. Probably going to finish season 1 tonight. It's a really drat good show and I'm glad they keep getting more seasons since we've sort of run out of stuff to watch.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
About halfway through Narcos: Mexico, enjoying it a lot. We even get the return of Pablo Escobar!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Nah it’s awesome I liked it just as much as s1

Yeah having watched it over the week I honestly like it better than the first season. It was a lot more focused and while it did slow down in the middle I liked that it gave you more time with all the characters together. Kirtwood Smith should get an Emmy just for that group therapy scene alone. The delivery of his line” the last time I did coke was just now, as this guy was talking” was amazing.

I wonder if (spoilers but not really ) if those were actual tiny penises or prosthetic tiny penises.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I really like Madmen but wow season 6 is a messy pile of crap. Here's hoping the final season will be a lot better.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Klaaz posted:

I really like Madmen but wow season 6 is a messy pile of crap. Here's hoping the final season will be a lot better.

Season 6 has The Crash. The Crash is perfect.

And, if anything, the show gets looser and looser as it goes on. Funnier too. I assume that's by design.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Finished The Tick and I enjoyed it. All the actors are excellent and it picks up nicely after a bit of a slow start. Thought it was going to be a little too dark from the pilot but it finds it's footing after a few eps. CGI was spotty at times but cartoony is ok for The Tick. Terror and The Lint were my fave actors, I thought they were nuanced yet large at the right times. Reminded me in feel and tone a little of Dirk Gently's Detective Agency, which isn't a bad thing for me as I liked that show too. It has the same off the wall yet played straight world with a neurotic sidekick to a well meaning but oddball hero. Hope they continue the series, unlike what ended up happening with Dirk Gently.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inspector 34 posted:

Started Bosch the other night ...

You'll be glad to know later seasons are equal in quality and the characters stay true while being slightly less cliche.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Parkingtigers posted:

I watched a couple of episodes with my kid and he seemed to dig it (but was already a fan of stuff like Steven Universe and Lumberjanes so that was probably a given). Seemed good, but not great to me (totally not the target audience though) but will keep watching and see where it goes. I have had a couple of laughs each episode. I think my one complaint was that the actually animation of combat/battles felt kind of stiff and uninspiring... which still puts it miles ahead of the original in that respect.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Caught up with the 100 and there was sure a lot of near-death this season. Are they loathe to kill off characters as much as they used to?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lycus posted:

Caught up with the 100 and there was sure a lot of near-death this season. Are they loathe to kill off characters as much as they used to?

I absolutely think the season was undermined by this, and badly. It's not just the thing you mentioned, it's like they're scared to commit to anything -- and while I get them being gunshy after how their third season was received, it's not a good look on their show about consequences.

The whole thing with the kid was another case of weaksauce ambivalence.

No way am I happy with where they ended the Octavia plotline. (With her breathing.)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I absolutely think the season was undermined by this, and badly. It's not just the thing you mentioned, it's like they're scared to commit to anything -- and while I get them being gunshy after how their third season was received, it's not a good look on their show about consequences.

The whole thing with the kid was another case of weaksauce ambivalence.

No way am I happy with where they ended the Octavia plotline. (With her breathing.)

I was momentarily blown away when I thought Bellamy had assassinated Octavia, but they quickly took it back.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lycus posted:

I was momentarily blown away when I thought Bellamy had assassinated Octavia, but they quickly took it back.

Some of the poo poo she pulled was horrific. She absolutely had that coming, and that was before she started using scorched earth tactics on her own people.

I thought that moment towards the end where Octavia had a "heroic last stand" was incredibly misjudged, on multiple levels. Complete misread of their audience, and just generally a complete wtf.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I have put off watching the second series of The Handmaid's Tale because, in my admiration of the female lead's performance, I had taken an interest in her and her other work and found out that she, oh irony, is a member of some cult of raving lunatics. Now I fear watching the show will have the same effect as watching Kevin Spacey movies: the moment that face appears on the screen I no longer see the character, but the actor, and I think of why I do instead of following the story. However, I happened to catch part of the first episode with a friend and realized the strong supporting cast and writing could make up for that distraction, so I am going to give it a shot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She was brought up in it so I give her a little more of a pass than someone who joined as an adult. Must be hard to unlearn a lifetime of brainwashing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its complicated. Like, yeah, she was raised in it and indoctrinated so you gotta assume some difficulty separating. But she's also a worldly adult who can't claim ignorance to the criticisms and testimonies against her church so she's as guilty as anyone else for ignoring them and backing Scientology against them. And like a lot of the horror stories say that the converts are kind of victims who get coerced and blackmailed into it too. So poo poo's all hosed up.

But like, half of Hollywood are apparently sex monsters so "separating the art from the artist" is becoming a bit of an essential these days. Like there's still lines and degrees and I might never get around to watching House of Cards or Master of None or Chinatown. And I still don't wanna actually give money to it. But like... abuser adjacent on a streaming service I already have? I might get around to Handmaid's Tale before my Hulu sub runs out next month.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 20, 2018

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Her beliefs aside, it is an extremely well written, acted and produced show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Movies and television are collaborative efforts that involve thousands of people and creative input from multiple sources, everything you watch has some rear end in a top hat involved with it. Hollywood has been a moral cesspool since the beginning because people will literally do anything to be famous.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Her beliefs aside, it is an extremely well written, acted and produced show.

It really is. The worst thing I can think of saying about it, production wise, is that it displays an at times horrible taste in music for certain scenes, which would be much more powerful and poignant without it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

wormil posted:

Movies and television are collaborative efforts that involve thousands of people and creative input from multiple sources, everything you watch has some rear end in a top hat involved with it. Hollywood has been a moral cesspool since the beginning because people will literally do anything to be famous.

Its still not like "wrong" for someone to feel some discomfort if one of the most recognizable "above the line" members of a production carries a negative with them vs worrying that a couple of the "below the line" crew are probably terrible people in some way just by basic numbers.

That's just your line to draw personally. You gotta decide what you're good with.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I didn't say feels are wrong, just pointing out that singling out a movie because of one person is very subjective. We've seen how many assholes have been outed in the last two years. Chances are every movie or TV show we love has some major rear end in a top hat involved prominently, whether an actor, producer, writer, or director.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply you were criticizing it. Just felt like "its cool to feel uncomfortable watching something with an rear end in a top hat" belongs with "everything you watch probably has some rear end in a top hat somewhere."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imagine being a soundtrack composer or costume designer or whatever and doing the best work of your life on an episode of a TV show that becomes universally reviled because one of the stars turned out to be an awful sex fiend.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Its still not like "wrong" for someone to feel some discomfort if one of the most recognizable "above the line" members of a production carries a negative with them vs worrying that a couple of the "below the line" crew are probably terrible people in some way just by basic numbers.

I think in the case of Handmaid's Tale, it was a little annoying for a lot of people that you have this programme which is warning against an oppressive society and oppressive structures and Elisabeth Moss used her acceptance speech at the Emmys a couple of years ago to expound on the same message and was widely praised for doing so, but within about a week she was asked if she felt there was any similarity between Gilead and Scientology and got a little hostile with her response to the question.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Recently binged

Condor
7.5/10

Pretty good above average CIA vs middle-eastern terrorists show. A lot better than Jack Ryan or at least what I was able to stomach of Jack Ryan. Really not much to say here. It's pretty solid, but didn't strike me as really great.

Homecoming
8/10

While I appreciated the cinematography, it did, at times, feel somewhat masturbatory. It also did feel a bit slow. And also I was expecting a more sinister resolution. However, I think that in a strange way this worked to it's benefit. The biggest takeaway I got from this show was the classic "banality of evil".

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 20, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Last Kingdom: It's so frustrating how often Uthred fucks things up by being such a massive hothead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you on the third season?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Nah. Good?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm thinking about subbing to Netflix again to watch it. But I honestly can't remember much from season 2 except that I think he mellowed out a little.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Irish guy Finan continues to be the best character on the show.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Just finished Castlevania Season 2 and maybe I was expecting a total defeat of the enemies and a more happier ending for Alucard but I guess this sets up a potential season 3?

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Narcos Mexico (season 4). Probably a little less into it than the first 3 seasons, but it's still great TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Damnation - Netflix. A preacher and his wife try to foment social change in Depression-era America.

I’m only a few episodes in but i *really* like this show. It has that same kinda “dusty dying Old West” feel that Red Dead Redemption has, and Christopher Heyerdahl is killing it as the town sheriff (really the whole cast does a good job).

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 21, 2018