Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Thanks to all the discussion of all the different versions of the OT in here, I finally checked out 4K77. I've been a diehard fan of Harmy's Despecialized editions for a few years now, but I've been hearing buzz about 4K77 for a while.

I did a bunch of back to back comparisons between the latest version (2.7) of the Despecialized A New Hope and 4K77. 4K77 is undeniably sharper. I think I like the color grading of the Despecialized version more, but the picture seems kinda muddy in comparison to 4K77. I think 4K77 is the definitive way I'll be watching one of my all-time favorite movies from now on.

I absolutely love restorations like this. For a while I was watching my "faces" VHS collection and appreciating that I had that available to me, then I switched over to the Despecialized editions a few years ago and was blown away and appreciated that I had that available to me, and now 4K77 comes along and blows me away again.

It's like the recent Beatles albums that have been remixed by Giles Martin. I've been listening to the original versions of those albums literally since my first few years on this Earth, but those songs have never sounded better to me than they do now that these versions of them are available.

I appreciate the efforts of people like Giles Martin and Harmy and Team Negative so loving much because these things have been near and dear to my heart for as long as I can remember and somehow those folks are able to keep making decades-old material sound and look better and better all the time. It's like magic.

Harmy is doing new versions using the 4k stuff as a base now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vince MechMahon posted:

Harmy is doing new versions using the 4k stuff as a base now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

While I was doing comparisons between the two, I was wishing for the existence of a version of 4K77 with the coloring of Harmy's version.

That's fantastic to hear!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Disney is finally re-issuing Willow on 12/18.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Disney is finally re-issuing Willow on 12/18.

Someone at Disney has an incredible sense of humor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Still waiting for the blu Ray of the holiday special

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The only legit copy belonged to Carrie Fisher. She made getting it a condition of shooting some stuff for a DVD special features section. She claimed she liked to put it on at the end of parties when she wanted people to leave.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Boba Fett cartoon is an easter egg on one of the Blu-rays in The Complete Saga.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Casimir Radon posted:

The only legit copy belonged to Carrie Fisher. She made getting it a condition of shooting some stuff for a DVD special features section. She claimed she liked to put it on at the end of parties when she wanted people to leave.

She really was too good for this world.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

While I was doing comparisons between the two, I was wishing for the existence of a version of 4K77 with the coloring of Harmy's version.

That's fantastic to hear!

poo poo, then should I wait on buying a Despecialized set until after the 4K version is released?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Xenomrph posted:

poo poo, then should I wait on buying a Despecialized set until after the 4K version is released?

Buying?

I've watched the 4k grainy-as Star Wars and it's leagues above the bluray and quite a bit nicer than the despesh, haven't gotten around to watching Jedi yet.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Eureka are having a November sale: https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/news/eureka-november-sale

Having a tough time not grabbing Man With A Movie Camera and Double Indemnity. Also Lucky (with Harry Dean Stanton) because it doesn't appear to have had a local blu ray release, and also includes the Partly Fiction doco.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Looks like 2001 is delayed for a month.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I, Butthole posted:

Eureka are having a November sale: https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/news/eureka-november-sale

Having a tough time not grabbing Man With A Movie Camera and Double Indemnity. Also Lucky (with Harry Dean Stanton) because it doesn't appear to have had a local blu ray release, and also includes the Partly Fiction doco.

Sweet. Picked up Shane.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I, Butthole posted:

I don't normally order blu rays from over seas. Will these play in a standard player? Interested in Shane as well.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ineffiable posted:

I don't normally order blu rays from over seas. Will these play in a standard player? Interested in Shane as well.

Most (all?) of the MoC releases are Region B locked so no, it won't play on your US player.

But like I always mention when this comes up, you can grab a region free player for less than $150 from Amazon. Get a refurbished one and it's even cheaper. My region free player is the best thing I've ever purchased. And I own a house.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Looks like 2001 is delayed for a month.

So apparently the likely reason for the delay is a mistake in the transfer, where a particular scene transition uses a hard cut instead of a fade. While it's not an enormous flaw, I'm glad to see Warner rectifying the mistake, especially with such a loved/important film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

So apparently the likely reason for the delay is a mistake in the transfer, where a particular scene transition uses a hard cut instead of a fade. While it's not an enormous flaw, I'm glad to see Warner rectifying the mistake, especially with such a loved/important film.

Kubrick would have a print recalled over less.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Review copies went out, so I wonder if any will be sold for being R@RE!!!

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I’ve got my Amazon pre-order sitting right here unwatched so I guess there are more out in the wild than just review copies.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Ineffiable posted:

Depends where you're from. Region B includes Australia and Europe, so that'd be fine; if you're in the US/Canada, you're Region A so you'd probably need a region-free player. They're a worthy investment.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Decided to go ahead and pick up a UHD player. Best Buy had an LG model for $200 that supports Dolby Vision, Hi-Res Audio, Wi-Fi, etc.

2001 is still the only 4K I own, but I wasn't prepared for how much of an uptick in quality it would get. :aaa:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to someone on the Blu-ray.com forums, it looks like Arrow is releasing Robocop, at least in the UK.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Isn’t the last one that came out pretty perfect?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Isn’t the last one that came out pretty perfect?

It was also approved by Paul Verhoeven.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It took me forever to find when it came out but it was worth it. And I even used that ticket for the remake to see it.

Which was good, because I really didn’t like it then but I’m cool with it now.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’m not sure what levels get access, but if you’re part of the My BBY program from Best Buy, there’s an early access thing going on with some of the movies in their Black Friday ad. I got John Wick 1+2, Hell or High Water, Halloween, Deadpool 1+2, and Ex Machina on 4K for $70 after taxes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Batman: The Animated Series is back in stock on amazon. It's a hundred dollars and is the one with the book and assorted trinkets.

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Complete-Animated-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B07FSRBWXK/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&amp&qid=&amp&sr=

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A Cure for Wellness is 3.99 on Amazon. Worth a blind buy at that price?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twilight Time sale:
https://www.twilighttimemovies.com
https://www.screenarchives.com

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Spatulater bro! posted:

It’s on HBO if you’ve got HBO Go

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yup. The last third is bananas.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spatulater bro! posted:

Absolutely. One of my favorite movies of last year and the kind of movie that doesn't really get made anymore. I don't think many people saw it but it's a loving gorgeous head trip that deserved to have a wider audience than it did.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's a gorgeous movie, but man it turned to ridiculous schlock in that last leg.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive is releasing their first volume of the classic Famous Studios Popeye cartoons from new 4K scans from the negatives.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pffft I won’t watch Popeye cartoons in anything less than 16K.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

It's a gorgeous movie, but man it turned to ridiculous schlock in that last leg.

I think that actually makes it. It's constant eye candy for like 2 hours but then at the end it also delivers on what you've been expecting given the not so subtle hints. It's a great combination.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Xenomrph posted:

Pffft I won’t watch Popeye cartoons in anything less than 16K.

The Fleischer Studios Popeye shorts have awesome animation, I'd love to see them in HD. I'm not too familiar with the Famous Studios releases though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

roffels posted:

The Fleischer Studios Popeye shorts have awesome animation, I'd love to see them in HD. I'm not too familiar with the Famous Studios releases though.

Even with the Fleischers, the budgets went down by the early 40s - there's a clear difference from the last year or two of their cartoons compared to their prime from the 30s. However, I find the Famous cartoons to have their own perks. The first few years of Famous cartoons are really good - often as good as the best Fleischers.

It sounds like this is Warner's last attempt to try animation through Warner Archive unless it's a success, though. Their 5-disc Porky Pig B&W set from last year apparently only broke even, though I think they're consistently having unrealistic expectations. They'd sell twice or triple the amount of sets if they simply partnered with someone like Criterion or Shout! Factory. Or just work with Kino Lorber considering they've had no issues releasing close to a dozen volumes of DePatie-Freleng Pink Panther, Inspector, and Dogfather cartoons.

Also, they announced the Hammer Horror of Dracula (bare-bones, but will use the BFI 4K restoration with apparently new color timing) and a restored The Sea Hawk.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 21, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Absolutely. One of my favorite movies of last year and the kind of movie that doesn't really get made anymore. I don't think many people saw it but it's a loving gorgeous head trip that deserved to have a wider audience than it did.

Oh my god, I totally thought they were talking about that Anthony Hopkins movie The Road to Wellville about the founder of Kelloggs and his crusade against masturbation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Pre-orders for 2001 are available via Best Buy again. I want that Steelbook bad.