Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I saved scummed my white Arabian dying after I accidentally punched someone in Saint Denis and the cop world portal opened and I couldn’t get out of the city because it’s hell.

I actually lost a hunting trip worth of poo poo I was there tonsell to the trapper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I have never spent more than 10 minutes in Saint Denis without getting a bounty.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did the mission where you have to steal horses and I had my horse almost calmed and hit the wrong button and punched my horse right in the mouth. Beautiful right cross. Kinda lost the good will I had developed with the horse, but on the plus side I felt like Mongo and laughed my rear end off. 10/10

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Deified Data posted:

Alright so I just wrapped up the epilogue and unless there's something more to it I'm considering a restart and just taking it slow the second time around.

Anything to do in New Austin besides the single (?) bounty in Tumbleweed? Any stranger missions for John? I agree with folks saying that New Austin largely feels wasted, especially in light of Rockstar's 100 hour work week controversy.

There seems to be a smattering of missions and stuff hidden around there. As mentioned, radiant quests, a bunch of animals down there required for 100% including 3 legendaries. Something going on with the Los Lobos gang or whatever they are called, including I believe taking up the mantle of sheriff in the town in the center. There is also the gang hideout, herbs, landscape. Not sure if that is everything, but thats what I saw doing the legendary animals down there.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
The game just refuses to remember I have Lancaster repeater and semi-auto shotgun saved via the gunsmith and have to set it every.single.time. And just straight out deleted the Lancaster I had, so I had to buy another one.

Bought a tarkanom, I die in an ambush outside Saint Denis and the horse is gone and replaced with a tennessee walker.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I can’t figure out what choosing a load out at the gunsmith is meant to do, Arthur never remembers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KingShiro posted:

Bought a tarkanom, I die in an ambush outside Saint Denis and the horse is gone and replaced with a tennessee walker.

That's how I lost my war horse.

Still the only bug that super pisses me off is the inability for the game to remember what weapons and ammo you want to carry when you get off your horse.

Also, for anyone wondering, in the quests where someone wants to race you, crossing the finish line on foot counts. After the third time I fell off my horse I just ran to the finish line because I had enough of a lead (it wasn't far) and it gave me credit. (The only reason I was able to fall that many times was because the first time I had a huge lead, lost it when I fell, got back ahead but fell again, this time blocking a narrow path so he had to stop and wait for me. )

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I did the mission where you have to steal horses and I had my horse almost calmed and hit the wrong button and punched my horse right in the mouth. Beautiful right cross. Kinda lost the good will I had developed with the horse, but on the plus side I felt like Mongo and laughed my rear end off. 10/10

The first time I accidentally punched my horse it was practically a spiritual experience.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

When you are getting robbed and you surrender the game shows a tooltip saying that if you press R2 in the right moment you will be able to react (and execute the person, I think). When exactly are you supposed to press it, though? The few times it happened I couldn't figure it out.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
When I did it, it was because I was thinking "I wonder if I can punch my horse in the face" because it had run me into so many trees. So I tried, and it worked, and it was a happy surprise.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

DrNutt posted:

The first time I accidentally punched my horse it was practically a spiritual experience.
I was trying to pull a gun from my horse, hit the wrong button, punched it, and the horse just gives this big old two-hoof kick right back and sends me flying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

When you are getting robbed and you surrender the game shows a tooltip saying that if you press R2 in the right moment you will be able to react (and execute the person, I think). When exactly are you supposed to press it, though? The few times it happened I couldn't figure it out.

A prompt should appear. I had it happen one time but I usually don't let robberies get that far before shooting them.

Something I thought was kind of weird about the story was how there were a couple of missions where the indicator shows you'll be talking to someone and then once you start the mission someone else shows up and that is actually what you'll be doing.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

muscles like this! posted:

Something I thought was kind of weird about the story was how there were a couple of missions where the indicator shows you'll be talking to someone and then once you start the mission someone else shows up and that is actually what you'll be doing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I just got to the mission where uncle totally interrupts Abigal. What a weird thing for them to do.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There are also a couple where you go to see them for the mission and they just tell you to go talk to someone else and then another mission dot appears.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chapter 6 i think this is the last time you talk to reverend isn’t it? I don’t remember ever seeing or hearing about him again after this scene

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ainsley McTree posted:

Chapter 6 i think this is the last time you talk to reverend isn’t it? I don’t remember ever seeing or hearing about him again after this scene

Someone references people have just up and abandoned the gang. Reverend Swanson for sure and I think Pearson and Mary Beth too?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Section Z posted:

Yeah, my few deaths by random happenstance cougar have been down to this sort of thing. "Well there's an obvious sudden red dot in the bushes. Choke down some tobbaco for max deadeye, hop off my panicing horse. Aim my rifle, and deadeye... aaand deadeye. aaand-I'm dead."

I finally got my perfect cougar pelt and was on my way back out of Annesburg when a stranger popped up excitedly talking to himself as he stalked something through the bushes. I followed after him and a giant loving bear came out of nowhere and his gun jammed. I pulled out my rifle thinking I could perhaps save him but the game refused to let me aim, so I figured it must be locked in that the guy has to die. But then he was killed and the bear came at me, it still wouldn't let me aim or use deadeye and the bear started trying to tear my head off. I was able to fight it off and FINALLY shoot it, but I was near death and about making GBS threads myself thinking I was going to lose that cougar pelt.

I have no idea if it was a scripted event where you are intended to be attacked by the bear or not, but man I would have been pissed if I'd lost that pelt.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

cage-free egghead posted:

I just got to the mission where uncle totally interrupts Abigal. What a weird thing for them to do.

It's different but I like it, makes the story progression feel more natural. Instead of Arthur reporting for an assignment from random quest-giver, you have characters go up to him with urgent need of help. But it'd be super annoying if they did that at random, like when you're trying to donate camp goods or are about to head out to go hunting, so instead they interrupt a cutscene that you wouldn't be watching if you weren't ready to go do a mission.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

I finally got my perfect cougar pelt and was on my way back out of Annesburg when a stranger popped up excitedly talking to himself as he stalked something through the bushes. I followed after him and a giant loving bear came out of nowhere and his gun jammed. I pulled out my rifle thinking I could perhaps save him but the game refused to let me aim, so I figured it must be locked in that the guy has to die. But then he was killed and the bear came at me, it still wouldn't let me aim or use deadeye and the bear started trying to tear my head off. I was able to fight it off and FINALLY shoot it, but I was near death and about making GBS threads myself thinking I was going to lose that cougar pelt.

I have no idea if it was a scripted event where you are intended to be attacked by the bear or not, but man I would have been pissed if I'd lost that pelt.
I managed to shoot that bear no problem with deadeye, but the hunter just ran off screaming. It was only a good pelt anyways.

But I also spent a long time slowly stalking after the guy rather than let him know I was there. So I guess I was far enough away to avoid the 'You want to TALK to the prisoners gutting cops like fish, right?' sort of antics and broke the event?

... As I was typing this, my horse carrying the last perfect wolf pelt I need for satchels on cinematic mode ran head first into wagon in a wide open road, because gently caress me for trying to use the features of a videogame right? Thankfully as a non large pelt, it was magnetically glued to my horses rear end and remained perfect so far as a peek into the inventory says-

Oh. My horse steered INTO the grass, TOWARDS a raiders vs cops standoff and got stuck against a stone barrier, rather than speed along the road and leave em in the dust (No I do no want to fight them in cimenatic mode. No I do NOT want to enter first person mode while facing away from them).

I've gone upstairs to get a drink, and other taking my life into my hands for 10 minutes at a time. But it's stopping to write this post all of two minutes away from camp the game decides to pull out all the stops at the finish line :v: God bless manual saves.

On a lighter note. There may be more prestegious trapper items. But I have a real soft spot for the Coyote Scout Jacket. Which is just "The scout jacket, but warmer"

EDIT: ULTIMATE INVENTORY SPACE IS NOW MINE!

Time to buy 99 candy!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 20, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I killed that bear before he reached the stranger, but I guess he had a heart attack because he died anyway. understandable I guess

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can do all the old stranger missions with john but I'm not sure he has any specific to himself. also any you didn't finish as arthur will be restarted as john. like I'd helped out the mr black and mr white a couple times before the epilogue, but with john I had to take down their bounty posters again. also make sure to visit mary-beth, tilly, and pearson if you haven't

You can also visit Rain's Fall in Annesburg. If you interacted with specific strangers repeatedly, like Charlotte, be sure to visit them as well. If you donated to the construction of the homeless vet's shelter in St. Denis, John has a comment there too.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm ready to end the game but someone gave me a recipe and I literally cannot find a single ginseng. I have followed three guides. I've been to cucumber Forest, Diablo ridge. Nowhere. Ginseng doesn't exist. Not even the one the god-damned npc explicitly said he put in my saddlebags to make this very recipe. I'm incensed.

Wish I didn't get bit by all them snakes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Krinkle posted:

I'm ready to end the game but someone gave me a recipe and I literally cannot find a single ginseng. I have followed three guides. I've been to cucumber Forest, Diablo ridge. Nowhere. Ginseng doesn't exist. Not even the one the god-damned npc explicitly said he put in my saddlebags to make this very recipe. I'm incensed.

Wish I didn't get bit by all them snakes.

jesus I'm literally rolling in ginseng, both the regular and alaskan varieties. But I still can't find a fourth berry. :negative:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Huckleberrys are in the area where the jaguars are. Swamp berry. Wintergreen berries up in the cougar mountains.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Veteran stranger spoilers

Hamish! Oh no! Did I gently caress up or is his dying scripted?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Krinkle posted:

Huckleberrys are in the area where the jaguars are. Swamp berry. Wintergreen berries up in the cougar mountains.

I'm pretty shocked you haven't found a bunch of Alaskan ginseng up where the Wintergreen berries are.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

DrNutt posted:

jesus I'm literally rolling in ginseng, both the regular and alaskan varieties. But I still can't find a fourth berry. :negative:

Blackberries are the one I had the hardest time finding. I eventually found them all over Hawk's Eye Creek, west of Strawberry.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Veteran stranger spoilers

Hamish! Oh no! Did I gently caress up or is his dying scripted?

It has to be scripted I put 10 bullets in that boar's head before it happened

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

dudeness posted:

It has to be scripted I put 10 bullets in that boar's head before it happened

he died for me too, I don’t think he can be saved

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Charles, I let it slide when you talked poo poo about the Tricorn hat along with half the camp.

But you leave my Coyote Scout Jacket alone :argh: It's literally a regular scout jacket with some fur lining the collar for extra warmth, come oooon.

I guess people are programmed to sometimes talk poo poo about trapper gear in general no matter what it looks like? Though odd for Charles given he is mister 'Teach you to hunt'.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There sure is a lot of warm clothing for a game where the majority of it takes place in hot climate.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Section Z posted:

Charles, I let it slide when you talked poo poo about the Tricorn hat along with half the camp.

But you leave my Coyote Scout Jacket alone :argh: It's literally a regular scout jacket with some fur lining the collar for extra warmth, come oooon.

I guess people are programmed to sometimes talk poo poo about trapper gear in general no matter what it looks like? Though odd for Charles given he is mister 'Teach you to hunt'.

“My people use every part of the Buffalo, it is sacred”

*wears clothes made out of hunted animals*

“You dork. You moron. You loving imbecile”

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

There sure is a lot of warm clothing for a game where the majority of it takes place in hot climate.

I wear the legendary wolf jacket all the time heat penalty be damned. It’s not like the game is hard.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Can there please be two stages of investigating a mystery dead body because sometimes it starts a quest, sometimes they have a letter, and sometimes you get a huge non negotiable hit to honor that immediately overwrites the autosave. I didn't need thirty cents. I needed a mystery to solve.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I wore my legendary buffalo hat into the general store in Strawberry and the loving lawmen opened fire

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Hobo Clown posted:

I wore my legendary buffalo hat into the general store in Strawberry and the loving lawmen opened fire

Wanted for fashion crimes.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I ran into him randomly and he explained himself.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Hobo Clown posted:

Lost it irl at this image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

“My people use every part of the Buffalo, it is sacred”

*wears clothes made out of hunted animals*

“You dork. You moron. You loving imbecile”

"My people use every part of the Buffalo"

*Leaves a giant corpse behind after just taking the pelt and the horns.*