Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I did the 36 month financing on the 2 XR’s I got with the trade in deal that was available earlier this month. I know the phones will be supported for that long and then some and it’s not like I can’t pay it off early if things don’t pan out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Statutory Ape posted:

tmobile is offering bogo lines of service to both new and existing customers, which is basically the only promo worth discussing rn. the $750 credit for a phone isnt bad if you have the appropriate phone to trade in

Is this the buy 2 lines get 1 free deal?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
How many people can even take advantage of the add new lines deal? What am I gonna just start asking my friends to join my phone plan so I can get a tablet?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

nimper posted:

Is this the buy 2 lines get 1 free deal?

Its buy 2 get 1 for new customers, buy 1 get 1 for existing

nerve posted:

How many people can even take advantage of the add new lines deal? What am I gonna just start asking my friends to join my phone plan so I can get a tablet?

limit 1 per account for this deal but it does stack w other free line promos *assuming you dont have to change your price plan to take advantage of this promo (because old ones will drop off)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
T-Mobiles credit check determines 24 or 36m financing. No one has any control over it.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

nerve posted:

Line isn't meant to be used. A lot of the time adding the line is cheaper than just putting the phone on the bill so that ends up being the smarter option. All T-Mobile promos involve adding lines because T-Mobile gives literally not one single poo poo about phones and will give them away all day, lines of service is what looks good to investors and on quarterly earnings reports. The promotions are meant to trap you in a line for three years during which you'll be forced to stay with TMO lest you suddenly have to pay for a $800 'free' phone all at once.

T-Mobile used to do rebate BOGOs but people abused that way too much so now we can't have nice things.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I was holding out hope they'd repeat the BF deal from two or three years ago when I got two free tablets (lovely LG, but whatever) and two free tablet lines to go with them. I still pay like $3/month in taxes for them combined. I need a line for my oldest son in the next year or so, wish I would've gone with 1 phone 1 tablet and threw the phone in the drawer.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

We did the deal for the XR. Bought a decent looking iPhone 6S on Craigslist for $150 and got bogo lines. We have Kickback and will use the paid line for business, so it will only be $10 a month. So over two years it’s a $750 phone for $390. If you need to upgrade, might as well.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

most of the decent sales are gone in lieu of basically beating the poo poo out of the other carriers on value already :shrug:

this cannot be emphasized enough if youre in the military or a veteran/over 55

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Speaking of which, does the bogo deal work on the Military plan? I have a hotspot laying around that I would not mind using in the car.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm reading on Slickdeals that if you add a line, get the rebate card, and cancel it in 2-3 months AND you have free lines from 2016 they will cancel those free ones first before the newly added paid line.

What if my 2 free lines are tablet lines. They won't cancel those I imagine for a new voice line?

Waiting to talk to a rep, they must be slammed. Want to know what my $/mo for my plan is to add a line.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pretty sure military is excluded from this line BOGO and I'm pretty sure it's voice line only.

The cancelation thing is getting stricter and stricter, I'll look at the verbiage exactly and report back before friday, since it is now late and I'm bed posting again

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Statutory Ape posted:

Pretty sure military is excluded from this line BOGO and I'm pretty sure it's voice line only.
Correct on both points

Statutory Ape posted:

The cancelation thing is getting stricter and stricter, I'll look at the verbiage exactly and report back before friday, since it is now late and I'm bed posting again
I could be wrong, but I think you can't have cancelled a line in the last 90 days to take advantage of any deals that require an ALL.

TraderStav posted:

I'm reading on Slickdeals that if you add a line, get the rebate card, and cancel it in 2-3 months AND you have free lines from 2016 they will cancel those free ones first before the newly added paid line.

What if my 2 free lines are tablet lines. They won't cancel those I imagine for a new voice line

I wanna say that the only way to lose those free lines is if you cancel any lines that you activated before those free lines, or if you change rate plans. I could be wrong though and don't quote me.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm having an issue where calls don't seem to be going through properly while I'm at my house (Seattle area). I can make a call from my phone and it mostly works aside from a 5-15 second delay (with no dial tone, so kinda awkward), calling myself from a landline goes straight to voicemail after a while. This is on 4G service, switching to 2G seems to make calls work as expected but switching is a pain in the rear end and I shouldn't have to do it.

My sister has been running into the same thing and talked to T-Mo support months ago who told her to switch to 2G when she's expecting calls until they fix something on their end but it clearly hasn't been fixed. Who should I be talking to (store rep, online support, phone support?) and what should I be telling them to get this resolved?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Definitely don't go into a store for that this weekend if you value your sanity.

Phone support is going to be your best bet. Is your sister on the same account as you two? Also what phone do y'all have

isndl
May 2, 2012
I don't mind waiting until next week or whatever if a store rep is a better choice. We don't get a lot of calls but it is annoying to realize you have voicemail from a call that never rang. Speaking of which, the voicemail notifications seem to be delayed sometimes but I'm not sure if that's related.

I have a Sharp Aquos S3 High Edition, she has I think a HTC U10, both purchased internationally. We're on the same account. I know the phones don't have complete band coverage but the phones report bars and high speed data works. :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

isndl posted:

I don't mind waiting until next week or whatever if a store rep is a better choice. We don't get a lot of calls but it is annoying to realize you have voicemail from a call that never rang. Speaking of which, the voicemail notifications seem to be delayed sometimes but I'm not sure if that's related.

I have a Sharp Aquos S3 High Edition, she has I think a HTC U10, both purchased internationally. We're on the same account. I know the phones don't have complete band coverage but the phones report bars and high speed data works. :shrug:

If neither of those phones are band 12 supported , which they probably aren't, 99.99% chance nobody at TMobile will trouble shoot for you besides telling you to get a phone that actually is compatible

Gsmarena will tell you if those phones have those bands or not. What you're describing is basically indicative of lack of band support, though when you said it was both of you I thought it was possible to be an account level problem but frankly most account level issues manifest themselves in no data/calls only not the inverse

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

E: https://i.imgur.com/4Ocf5xq.jpg TBH it doesn't look horrible but what I said about most reps probably telling you to gently caress off is true :shrug: emphasise it's an account wide problem would be my recommendation .

E: that was not E

E2: what type of plan are you on ? Is it a no credit check family account or a postpay? Family NCC/group prepay accounts have these types of issues constantly and they're always getting escalated to bellevue

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 23, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
Standard postpay One plan. I'll have to double check with my sister to make sure I have the correct details for her phone but my own phone has support for bands 2 4 5 12 of the ones listed in your pic, just not 66 or 71.

e: although looking more closely I have 1900mhz listed under 2G/3G and as band 39 under 4G, maybe that's the trick.

isndl fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 23, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

isndl posted:

Standard postpay One plan. I'll have to double check with my sister to make sure I have the correct details for her phone but my own phone has support for bands 2 4 5 12 of the ones listed in your pic, just not 66 or 71.

e: although looking more closely I have 1900mhz listed under 2G/3G and as band 39 under 4G, maybe that's the trick.

oh yeah i reached out to a colleague of mine actually and one of the things she suggested was that if you are using a wifi calling setting and its set to "ignore cellular" (in lieu of wifi) it could be causing this issue

still weird that its happening to both you and sister tho. the only other thing i can come up with is that if your e911 address isnt provisioned properly (you can change this through the web portal yourself iirc) and you're tryna use wifi calling there could be shenanigans happening w that.

its really tough with phones that arent either tmobile issue or like, iphones, basically, to diagnose these issues. dont worry about band 71 thats basically irrelevant to this conversation. but one thing you can do is probably get a tower analyzer app and it will tell you what towers are near you and what they're transmitting on

E: have you set the APN settings properly to t-mobiles?

https://imgur.com/a/D2dnn9x

those are mine and you can just transpose them slot for slot

both of you having hosed up APN settings because your phones are both not t-mo originals is a strong possibility. theyre supposed to get provisioned when the SIM is popped in but alas, ive seen this happen a ton.

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 23, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
My MMSC field was blank so I filled that in and the APN type was missing mms,xcap, but adding those and rebooting the phone hasn't fixed the calling issue. As far as I can tell this phone doesn't support WiFi calling so that shouldn't be an issue, there's no option for it anywhere in the settings and turning off WiFi before calling the phone didn't change anything.

I checked the BYOD T-Mobile data & APN settings and the info they have there matches the screenshot you posted, and the Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer states "Non-T-Mobile phones will work on T-Mobile's 3G / 4G if they support Band II (1900) and/or Band IV (1700/2100)" and I do have band 4 support for certain, so I dunno.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

download "Network Cell Info Lite" from android store i guess, itll tell you waht towers are in area transmitting on what frequencies. the phone(s) probably need to be reprovisioned to network

isndl
May 2, 2012
The tower I'm connected to is on band 4, there's a couple other towers nearby listed as band 4 and a couple towers even further away with band 12. If I drop down to 2G service I'm connected to a different tower than the first one (a bit further away) but it's also listed as band 4. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can tell. App does confirm no VoLTE or Wifi calling functionality, maybe TMo is trying to serve incoming calls via VoLTE?

The weird part to me is that I can totally call out fine, I just can't receive any. Got another call that went to voicemail without ringing today and I was able to dial voicemail to hear it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I switched to Tmobile today. Moved 3 lines from AT&T, got a "free" iphone Xr in the process. However, after switching, I saw this third line free deal, which I don't think I got. Should I contact support? Can they fix this?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

adorai posted:

I switched to Tmobile today. Moved 3 lines from AT&T, got a "free" iphone Xr in the process. However, after switching, I saw this third line free deal, which I don't think I got. Should I contact support? Can they fix this?

you got the deal, its automatically applied to new customers

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

you got the deal, its automatically applied to new customers

When I look at my account online, it is $120 for the first two lines and $25 for the third. Definitely does not look like it was free.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

adorai posted:

When I look at my account online, it is $120 for the first two lines and $25 for the third. Definitely does not look like it was free.

From the website FAQ at the bottom: https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans

the T-Mobile site posted:

When will my free line credit be applied?

In most cases, you'll see your free line credit on your first bill. If the credit is not applied on the first bill, two credits will appear on the second bill.

I don't think you're going to see a $0 line, you're probably going to see a $25 line and a separate $25 credit.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

adorai posted:

its absolutely going to be free

itll be a line item of $25 with a second one of -$25

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
That makes sense. It's not free, it's just a credit. Cool stuff. Sorry, I didn't even know it existed until I saw you dudes talking about it in thread, so i didn't even know what to look for.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

That level of confusion re: promotions and their pricing is something we're working to alleviate but it is considerably more difficult than you might imagine (probably, maybe you can imagine pretty good idfk)

isndl
May 2, 2012
Have to play with this DIGITS bullshit because the old web-based voicemail system is apparently gone with no warning. :sigh: No, I don't want to install another browser or enable location sharing just for your snowflake app.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Can someone help me with the iPhone XR deal? I’m a current customer and it says I qualify for 0 down and a $20.84 monthly payment “on approved credit”

What qualities as approved credit?
Is there any set up fees?
Can you make extra payments towards the device at any time?

Also, with the current offer I’m reading you have to add a line to get the device credit, right? Or is that an additional credit, and the phone trade in is another?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

savesthedayrocks posted:

Can someone help me with the iPhone XR deal? I’m a current customer and it says I qualify for 0 down and a $20.84 monthly payment “on approved credit”

What qualities as approved credit?
Is there any set up fees?
Can you make extra payments towards the device at any time?

Also, with the current offer I’m reading you have to add a line to get the device credit, right? Or is that an additional credit, and the phone trade in is another?

Approved credit usually means a credit check with one of the Big Three (TRW, Equifax, Experian). So if you have credit freezes at those places, you’ll need to find out which T-Mobile uses and lift the freeze temporarily.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Gotcha. Before I logged in it had choices for good or average so I assumed when I logged in they already had that info. Thanks for clearing that up.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Really antsy for tmo to support the iPhone esims, properly.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

incoherent posted:

Really antsy for tmo to support the iPhone esims, properly.

going to be awhile before this truly happens and even longer before both call center and store reps know how to work with them on a systemic basis- if the esim on apple watches is any indication

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

going to be awhile before this truly happens and even longer before both call center and store reps know how to work with them on a systemic basis- if the esim on apple watches is any indication

I didn’t know there was a problem. I activated my S3 last Feb (?) through the T-Mobile app with zero issues.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Proteus Jones posted:

I didn’t know there was a problem. I activated my S3 last Feb (?) through the T-Mobile app with zero issues.

I didn't mean with things like straight forward new-in-box activations

There's a lot of other stuff that people need to do that works like poo poo, unfortunately

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Yeah, it doesn't look like apple is particularly going the extra mile outside a KB article on the nuances of dual SIMs so it's going to be up to the carriers to get it working. I expect many pain points for all support levels in this brave new world.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

Yeah, it doesn't look like apple is particularly going the extra mile outside a KB article on the nuances of dual SIMs so it's going to be up to the carriers to get it working. I expect many pain points for all support levels in this brave new world.

This is correct. And there are two bigger issues:

1. It’s easier to activate a SIM, so any sales person is going to do that over eSIM for most people, since most people will still just get one number.

2. Customers aren’t aware of eSIM, so no one will be asking about it.

The people working in cell phones learn most tech issues by dealing with them daily. Most wont activate eSIM mostly because they won’t know how to because let’s face it, it’ll be super rare in the US for quite a bit.