Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think it was all the Showa era movies.

They’ll also have anything Sony has access to since they’re Criterion’s distributor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

They’ll also have anything Sony has access to since they’re Criterion’s distributor.

I want to live long enough to see Godzilla vs Biollante in the Criterion Collection

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want to live long enough to see Godzilla vs Biollante in the Criterion Collection

It's more deserving of a spot than Rosemary's Baby, prove me wrong

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Easy, Godzilla vs. Biollante doesn't have Mia Farrow.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Easy, Godzilla vs. Biollante doesn't have Mia Farrow.

Or John Cassavetes. Or demon rape. Yeah I like Rosemary's Baby a lot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
They don’t have KKvG, but that’s to be expected

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd pre-order that quicker than anything I've ever pre-ordered before.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

So, what's everyone expecting #1000 to be?

Space Jam.

The collected works of Coleman Francis.

Johnny Mnemonic, festering the Japanese cut.

Empire State Building by Andy Warhol.

House of 1000 Corpses.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Man The Princess Bride has hella grain and it looks fantastic.

Also the first time I've owned it on disc (only had a worn VHS copy before) and god, they did the Clergyman's subtitles properly.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 18, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

Empire State Building by Andy Warhol.

This would be worth it purely to hear the screams of Criterion completionists.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If they added a good full length audio commentary and priced it as a normal release, I'd buy Empire.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

This would be worth it purely to hear the screams of Criterion completionists.

I'd actually be interested in a set of Andy Warhol's films. What's amusing about films like Empire, Sleep, and Chelsea Girls is that they're perfect to play on a screen while you're doing something else. It's sort of like when you see video/film installations at museums. You're not meant to just sit there for hours.

For that matter, I hope we get more avant-garde stuff from them. Sets devoted to Norman McLaren, Len Lye, Maya Deren, Stan Vanderbeek, and Bruce Conner would be neat.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd actually be interested in a set of Andy Warhol's films. What's amusing about films like Empire, Sleep, and Chelsea Girls is that they're perfect to play on a screen while you're doing something else. It's sort of like when you see video/film installations at museums. You're not meant to just sit there for hours.

That’s how I treat the Brakhage set. I put on records and dip in and out as I’m grabbed. It’s probably my most played Blu-ray because of that.

Also the music that’s on vastly changes how each film feels, so even when I’m 100% focused in its a different experience every time.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So that’s where I recognized Gritty from.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Ingmar Bergman set is truly a thing of beauty.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Spatulater bro! posted:

The Ingmar Bergman set is truly a thing of beauty.

It really is. Mines damaged, but I’ll get around to that next week. I think I’m gonna go through everything chronologically!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Boywhiz88 posted:

It really is. Mines damaged, but I’ll get around to that next week. I think I’m gonna go through everything chronologically!

I'm thinking I'll do chronological too. But I'm interested in why Criterion chose the particular presentation order they did. They even organized it like a 5-part film festival.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Long shot guess, but perhaps Wim Wender's Until The End Of The World. As far as I can tell, in North America the 5 hour director's cut still hasn't been seen outside of theatres. And Wim is lowkey one of the most Criterion-iest filmmakers out there, and being able to put the stamp on 'We made the definitive version of his most ambitious project widely available' would be a major point of pride.

If they do ever get around to releasing it, I really hope they include a CD version of the soundtrack purely as a 90's relic/feelie.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Amazon Australia cancelled my Bergman order so now I guess I'll try my luck with B+N shipping internationally.

e: oh, it turns out Amazon Australia's price is now another $140AU more so I guess that explains why it's been cancelled because it's a piece of poo poo company! Also B+N aren't expecting stock until February for online purchases so gently caress it I guess.

Decided to go B+N for Andrei Rublev, Rebecca, Mishima, and Vol 2 of the Looney Tunes Platinum collection. That'll tide me over until the next time the Bergman set is cheap.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 21, 2018

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Bergman set is huge. The book is great. I will be doing their film fest programming, other than Fanny and Alexander for Christmas movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah it looks like Amazon (presumably all of them) hiked the price up as soon as the set sold out on B&N's website.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If they do ever get around to releasing it, I really hope they include a CD version of the soundtrack purely as a 90's relic/feelie.

I’ve tried to put together as much of the soundtrack as I could, the Nick Cave is fantastic.

https://youtu.be/qzp8I-naJOg

The only direction he gave the artists was make the music you see yourself making in 10 years. A bunch of them really went all out on it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Received my copy of Ingmar Bergman's Cinema today.

This is the finest box set produced in the history of home video.

Also worth noting that B&N has already sold out online. I went to a store today to pick up Some Like It Hot and they only had one copy in-store.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 22, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

It truly is, with no hyperbole.

I'm going through the films chronologically. I watched Crisis last night. Solid, but clearly the product of a first-time director.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah it looks like Amazon (presumably all of them) hiked the price up as soon as the set sold out on B&N's website.

Amazon Australia dropped the price again, so I re-ordered to give it a gamble. Not sure if it's a part of their Black Friday thing or not, but hey.

e: aaaaaand cancelled with the price gone up again. gently caress this, I'll wait until next year, or until Amazon US decide to finally ship to Australia again without the fuckery.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 23, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wait, they were gonna make you pay a higher price after you ordered it at a lower price?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wait, they were gonna make you pay a higher price after you ordered it at a lower price?

No, the order just cancelled. I've sent an email to support asking WTF, but Amazon have just announced that the US site is going to start shipping out to Australia again in the near futureish. Because it's an Amazon US product, I wonder if they're gonna make me try and order it through the US store front and ship it direct rather than from their US warehouse to AU warehouse and then to me.

Amazon Australia is pretty terrible with overseas items, and a lot of the storefront is just AliExpress style cables and stuff through third party sellers. It hasn't been a good launch here, and now they're backpedalling further by allowing us to use the international stores again.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

drat straight. I started out with Hour of the Wolf to wallow in some of Nykvist's finest work (also, I hadn't watched it since 2005). The scene where Sydow times a minute is horrifying.

Speaking of Bergman, some guy in a classic film Facebook group posted this and I had to go lie down for an hour...

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I pre-ordered the Bergman set, and it shipped yesterday. Living in Canada, I haven't ordered from B&N since our dollar was close to par, so my memory is that their shipping takes a few months. However, they are shipping with UPS, and it claims that I will receive it on Monday. I am HIGHLY doubtful this will happen, but it would be a nice surprise.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Steen71 posted:

drat straight. I started out with Hour of the Wolf to wallow in some of Nykvist's finest work (also, I hadn't watched it since 2005). The scene where Sydow times a minute is horrifying.

Speaking of Bergman, some guy in a classic film Facebook group posted this and I had to go lie down for an hour...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Picked up The Tree of Life and Rushmore today! I had no idea about the poster in the Rushmore box, it’s very cute

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Ingmar Bergman's Cinema is already OOP - sold out on B&N, Amazon, and even Criterion.com

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Ingmar Bergman's Cinema is already OOP - sold out on B&N, Amazon, and even Criterion.com

The second printing is coming in February (just in time for the flash sale).

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Err, I don't get it. :confused:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Well, you should, because that's an amazing deal.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Well, you should, because that's an amazing deal.

While it uses the 2006 remasters of 2001, The Shining, and Eyes Wide Shut (which is also the uncensored version)... Barry Lyndon was never upgraded after the 2001 DVD that's 1.66:1 letterboxed instead of 16x9 enhanced.

Also, the Criterion of Barry Lyndon is an absolute must-have, along with the new 4K remaster of 2001. Criterion's DVD is the only version that's 16x9-enhanced, though you're going to want the Blu-ray. And Warner's 4K UHD (and remastered Blu) is outstanding.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ok who bought the last Bergman set at the Burbank B&N before I could get it? Show yourself.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I had the only copy on hold for a couple of days at my BN and I bought it yesterday. The person working there said its a good thing I did, because she had been getting calls and people coming in wanting it and they were getting pissed when she wouldn't sell it to them.

And yes, it's a beautiful release.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Steen71 posted:

Err, I don't get it. :confused:

The joke, at least when I worked in a video store, was that all 4 movies came on a single DVD, or 2 at most, which meant they LOOKED. LIKE. rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The joke, at least when I worked in a video store, was that all 4 movies came on a single DVD, or 2 at most, which meant they LOOKED. LIKE. rear end.

:aaa:

This reminds me of one of the very first DVDs I ever bought, sometime in the late 90s. It was some samurai movie from the 60s that I'd been dying to get hold of, which had never gotten a VHS release in Europe. Get it home, pop it in the player... and it's painfully obvious that it's a 3rd generation VHS that has been transferred to DVD. This was unfortunately not too uncommon in the early days of the medium.

I got my money back.