Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

My way to post = right way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Playing History of Benalia twice in a row gives me satisfaction in a specific way that I haven't felt since like... mono-white humans in the the original Innistrad. Richard Garfield is a good designer and I'm glad he comes back to Magic every once in awhile.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bicyclops posted:

Playing History of Benalia twice in a row gives me satisfaction in a specific way that I haven't felt since like... mono-white humans in the the original Innistrad. Richard Garfield is a good designer and I'm glad he comes back to Magic every once in awhile.

What about Artifcat

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Wave posted:

Got it, I'll make sure I complain passive aggressively instead.

complain openly, that's what I do.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's kind of a shame that they did away with blocks entirely right after launching arena, because if they wanted a place for the sets that cycle out to live, maybe block constructed could finally have found a home.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Wave posted:

Unfortunately we need banefire the way the game is set up right now but I have to rank banefire lethals pretty low. So many silly decks and cards would just be better as banefire x2.

banefire is great for forcing that last few points of damage against control after they've stabilized

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bicyclops posted:

It's kind of a shame that they did away with blocks entirely right after launching arena, because if they wanted a place for the sets that cycle out to live, maybe block constructed could finally have found a home.

put Mirvlight constructed on Arena.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What are they gonna do when Ixalan/Dominaria/M19 rotate out

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No I'm saying there's a game that works really hard to undermine combos and promote aggro. If that's your preference then it seems available to download and install. Why download and install the game that supports multiple playstyles including 15 turn combo decks, and then complain about the ones that aren't your playstyle? It's a complete waste of time. Just let's not do tier lists of cool dudes play these decks and my deck archetypes > some stuff > your deck stuff it's really pointless.

There are as many valid ways to play and enjoy this game as there are players of it and lighthearted banter isn't an outlandish one.

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Player_type

Johnny/Mel is the only noble way through MtG. I insist.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are they gonna do when Ixalan/Dominaria/M19 rotate out

Fix the 5th card problem.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i just got a Mox Amber from a random card drop and it got my brain whirling about a crazy aggro deck with 4x amber, a bunch of tap lands, lanterns, and as many 1/2/3 CMC legendary creatures as you can stuff into your deck and flood the board with, there's all kinds of crazy effects on 'em, even at the 2 and 3 mana cost.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think when the old sets rotated out with GRN they just disappeared, though I'm sure when they announce whatever Arena Modern whatever they'll just turn them all back on and whatever you had will still be there.

Was there a wipe before open beta? I didn't play closed.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

ShriekingMarxist posted:

i just got a Mox Amber from a random card drop and it got my brain whirling about a crazy aggro deck with 4x amber, a bunch of tap lands, lanterns, and as many 1/2/3 CMC legendary creatures as you can stuff into your deck and flood the board with, there's all kinds of crazy effects on 'em, even at the 2 and 3 mana cost.

I've been playing esper legendaries a ton, lately. Lazav is lots of fun.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bicyclops posted:

My favourite white weenie feels from around that time is swinging face with Sublime Archangel and resolving all the exalted triggers for the like 2 months she was playable and dropping Silverblade Paladin on a fat Champion of the Parish.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

resistentialism posted:

I've been playing esper legendaries a ton, lately. Lazav is lots of fun.

Got a deck list?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

My favourite white weenie feel from around that time is swinging face with Sublime Archangel and resolving all the exalted triggers for the like 2 months she was playable and dropping Silverblade Paladin on a fat Champion of the Parish.

did y'all not live the dream during Theros and swing for 7 lifelink on turn 2 w/ Hopeful Eidolon and 2x Ethereal Armor? cuz god that was fun.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Huxley posted:

I think when the old sets rotated out with GRN they just disappeared, though I'm sure when they announce whatever Arena Modern whatever they'll just turn them all back on and whatever you had will still be there.

Was there a wipe before open beta? I didn't play closed.

Yeah, and it sucked, since they were much charitable with the wildcards

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

ShriekingMarxist posted:

Got a deck list?

This is an extremely what I happened to already have list, but:
3 Plains (RIX) 192
3 Danitha Capashen, Paragon (DAR) 12
2 Shalai, Voice of Plenty (DAR) 35
2 Lyra Dawnbringer (DAR) 26
3 Urza's Ruinous Blast (DAR) 39
3 Island (RIX) 193
4 Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage (DAR) 202
2 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria (DAR) GR6
2 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Primevals' Glorious Rebirth (DAR) 201
4 Lazav, the Multifarious (GRN) 184
2 Mox Amber (DAR) 224
2 Azor's Gateway (RIX) 176
2 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog (DAR) 234
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
3 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
2 Guildmages' Forum (GRN) 250
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Moment of Craving (RIX) 79
2 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
1 Yawgmoth's Vile Offering (DAR) 114
1 Arguel's Blood Fast (XLN) 90
2 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
1 Field of Ruin (XLN) 254

1 Settle the Wreckage (XLN) 34
3 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
1 Detection Tower (M19) 249
4 Duress (M19) 94
2 Golden Demise (RIX) 73
1 Arch of Orazca (RIX) 185
3 Negate (RIX) 44

Next up is putting more shalais in it. Lots of instant speed shalai gimmick plays. Raff is the star card because of the instant speed plays.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ShriekingMarxist posted:

did y'all not live the dream during Theros and swing for 7 lifelink on turn 2 w/ Hopeful Eidolon and 2x Ethereal Armor? cuz god that was fun.

I was too busy professing my Devotion to Blue.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
White weenies more like white... weenies.

When is mono black control going to come back? That's the archtype I miss most.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

I was too busy professing my Devotion to Blue.

oh god, the monoblue deck was so loving FUN

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ledgem posted:

Mono black is definetly off meta, but it has been pretty good for me this last week with all the aggro running around. I've been using a mono black list to grind 7 wins in Bo1 with great results. If Jeskai control rises in popularity due to the GP results then I don't know how viable it will remain.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ledgem posted:

If you want to see a thread tear itself apart just reprint Thoughtseize

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I missed Thoughtsieze. I'm sad that I missed Thoughtsieze, Rhystic Studies on Youtube has a great vid about it.

Thought Erasure is a fine alternative. I love having Surveil on this effect.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eej posted:

My favourite white weenie feels from around that time is swinging face with Sublime Archangel and resolving all the exalted triggers for the like 2 months she was playable and dropping Silverblade Paladin on a fat Champion of the Parish.

Champion of the Parish owned so hard.

I'm an insane person who built 110 block constructed decks on Tappedout and then played all of them against each other playing both sides, and it was more fun than any experience I had in either Modern or Standard.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

could i please please pllleeeeease get to play against something other than that god drat vampire deck every. single. god. drat. match.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda gotta vent a bit about the loving control decks. The amount of cheap cantrips and draw conditioning is at critical mass right now, so there's basically no way for a control deck to ever brick, miss a land drop, or any of the other pitfalls that befall every other type of deck. Since those pitfalls determine about 15-20% of matches more so than whatever the opponent is doing, or in conjunction with (mana screw, flooding, running out of gas) it's a huge amount of swing to eliminate from the "random" card game.

That considered, they just hit a "no turning back" point where you cannot win the game any longer, and depending on how awesome their draws/surveils/extra cards are, that point can be as early as turn 5, which is loving nuts. This is without playing a creature or doing anything except taking some damage and using spot removal or sweepers on whatever threats you've assembled. The black variant of control with Nikol Bolas also has hand disruption, which is a miserable experience on top of everything else.

Their tool chest is just way too loving deep, because all the cantrips, removals and disruptions have extra effects bolted onto them, the synergy is off the charts. If they've cleared your board, disrupted your hand, and dropped a planeswalker going into turn 6 and you draw a loving basic land, it's a concede, gg.

I hope to god the next set reprints Dreadbore and some other control/PW hate or I'm going to have to tap out for a set or two.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Prav posted:

could i please please pllleeeeease get to play against something other than that god drat vampire deck every. single. god. drat. match.

Pre-board your deck against it and presto, you'll never play against it again. :v:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
playing against 40% UR is really sucking the life out of me. i just auto concede once i see those two colors.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
UR drakes and phoenix variant are fair matches, since it's almost a combo deck and can be beaten pretty easily with the right boards. The poo poo assed ones are the jeskai and grixis ones that poo poo out planeswalkers, board sweepers, etc.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShriekingMarxist posted:

I kinda gotta vent a bit about the loving control decks. The amount of cheap cantrips and draw conditioning is at critical mass right now, so there's basically no way for a control deck to ever brick, miss a land drop, or any of the other pitfalls that befall every other type of deck. Since those pitfalls determine about 15-20% of matches more so than whatever the opponent is doing, or in conjunction with (mana screw, flooding, running out of gas) it's a huge amount of swing to eliminate from the "random" card game.

That considered, they just hit a "no turning back" point where you cannot win the game any longer, and depending on how awesome their draws/surveils/extra cards are, that point can be as early as turn 5, which is loving nuts. This is without playing a creature or doing anything except taking some damage and using spot removal or sweepers on whatever threats you've assembled. The black variant of control with Nikol Bolas also has hand disruption, which is a miserable experience on top of everything else.

Their tool chest is just way too loving deep, because all the cantrips, removals and disruptions have extra effects bolted onto them, the synergy is off the charts. If they've cleared your board, disrupted your hand, and dropped a planeswalker going into turn 6 and you draw a loving basic land, it's a concede, gg.

I hope to god the next set reprints Dreadbore and some other control/PW hate or I'm going to have to tap out for a set or two.

Nah, bro, it's cool. Blue always has everything it needs to dominate, but god forbid if Black gets Hymn because it's "unfun", unlike playing against blue, where the 97 counterspells and draw spells in Standard at any given time is fine.

Edit: "Oh, red finally gets a good creature? Let's ban it!" *WotC continues jerking off over blue*

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ShriekingMarxist posted:

You can literally lose the game before turn 5 against non control decks. Not like 'oh the games over eventually', but your life is at zero.

Edit: lol you set off the hymn and strip mine apologist again.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Randaconda posted:

Nah, bro, it's cool. Blue always has everything it needs to dominate, but god forbid if Black gets Hymn because it's "unfun", unlike playing against blue, where the 97 counterspells and draw spells in Standard at any given time is fine.

Edit: "Oh, red finally gets a good creature? Let's ban it!" *WotC continues jerking off over blue*

Is this post from 1999

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You can literally lose the game before turn 5 against non control decks. Not like 'oh the games over eventually', but your life is at zero.

Edit: lol you set off the hymn and strip mine apologist again.

yeah when i played my white weenie deck is was racking off turn 4-5 wins a lot

hymn to tourach, essence scatter, what's the difference?

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Mono black is definetly off meta, but it has been pretty good for me this last week with all the aggro running around. I've been using a mono black list to grind 7 wins in Bo1 with great results. If Jeskai control rises in popularity due to the GP results then I don't know how viable it will remain.

I’d like to see what you are running!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I just don't get the sense that control is unstoppable because of draw smoothing, when I can do turn two thought Erasure into turn 3 disinformation campaign into turn four I'm dead because white did 16 damage

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
if you're playing Thought Erasure into Disinformation Campaign then you're playing a much slower control deck that will get wrecked by agro easily, but probably wins against other control decks so you've picked what you want to win against and lost because of it. Moment of Craving or something else that slows down agro means the match against agro is more favorable, but then you have dead cards against control so make your choice.

The whole reason people are playing all these 'win on turn 4' decks (which is less common than you think because these decks are completely reliant on the draw) is because control is so strong that anything past turn 6 is a game over. If I lose the coin flip against a good control deck that's usually a sign I need to concede right now and save fifteen minutes because, as noted, with all their cantrips and draw it's basically impossible to not have an answer unless the agro player just draws perfectly against you.

I don't actually like having to play red agro, but I don't have a loving choice because every other deck I would play would lose as soon as I queued. Unless you prefer I play mono blue tempo or white weenie.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 21, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I agree that Jeskai is the actual deck that's dictating the meta. Dimir/Grixis Thought Erasure decks are irritating when they actually get thought erasures with an otherwise interactive hand but you'll find out how rare that is especially in 3 faction.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if control is really so ridonkulously op just play control for easy 7-win runs and get all the wildcards you'll need for when the next set drops

in the meantime, all of us over here in the real world are enjoying having an actually good metagame with a wide variety of viable aggro, midrange and control decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The two viable midrange decks are drakes and golgari. I understand that this is a better standard meta than most and I don't really have complaints, but it's more or less a five deck meta (Drakes, Jeskai Control, Golgari Mid, Mono red, and weiners... mono blue is real but i've only queued into it once). If that's not good enough for someone, standard MTG probably won't work out for them long-term.

You can still get away with running other decks well enough especially in Bo1, that's where MTG's land variance comes in so I expect I'll always be happy.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 21, 2018