Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I know, right? If I didn't know that the show was made way ahead of time I'd say that was a nice tribute but as is it was just a coincidence with incredible timing.

It was surprisingly touching, yeah. I laughed my rear end off when I saw it, especially with Iris whiplashing back and forth between terror and excitement. Did anyone catch Ralph pulling the Elongated Man corkscrew cover pose too when he makes the final jump? That was a nice touch too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm ready for Ralph to get his own show now.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vietnamwees posted:

"Professor Stein?!" I thought he died in last years crossover?!

Maybe I just glossed over this but I thought they just exclaimed his name because they realized that Caitlyn's dad was at the same university and likely worked with him. Like, not that Stein was currently actively doing something, just that they made the connection.

The Lord Bude posted:

I hope we've seen the last of the Nora-Iris whiny family drama crap. That poo poo was seriously starting to drag the show down.

Eh, I feel like it is progressing at a drastically faster pace especially compared with secret drama from previous seasons. I can't even remember if there was more than just a sideways glance in the premiere, then we had 2 episodes where she goes from "seem a bit standoffish" to "is obviously outright annoyed" and then last episode she flat out confronts Iris, and this episode was all structured around Iris being a caring person who everyone but Nora trusted (and basically was telling Nora to ease up the whole time) and then she wins Nora's trust. You got like an episode and a half of full sulk at most, even if they play up the whole "I still have trouble trusting you" angle I don't think it's going to be dragged out too long, and has been a pretty well handled arc so far (especially compared to a ton of other CW hero show drama)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

discworld is all I read posted:

Wait....so that was the contortionist from the latest season of Channel Zero? Cause he did a great job in that too.

Yeah, he was the same guy who played Pretzel Jack.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that guy's having a good year

I wonder which production approached him to play a contortionist clown first

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

bring back old gbs posted:

I love that we live in a world where that’s a legitimate question to ponder.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, he was the same guy who played Pretzel Jack.

bring back old gbs posted:

Heyyy, guess who just showed up sans mask in that new youtube scifi show Origin

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Lord Bude posted:

I hope we've seen the last of the Nora-Iris whiny family drama crap. That poo poo was seriously starting to drag the show down.

As someone finding myself in a similar situation to barry and iris, i've found Nora's cartoonishly buffoonish, whiny, impetuous, generally childish behavior to be generally quite cathartic, and really quite a bit less exaggerated than you may think

Also Cecille was a motherfucking rockstar this week and made me cry. Grandparents are incredible. :unsmith:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

XboxPants posted:

Also Cecille is a motherfucking rockstar every week. Grandparents are incredible. :unsmith:

ftfy

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Cecile definitely was a stand-in for Papa Joe’s anecdotes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feenix posted:

Cecile definitely was a stand-in for Papa Joe’s anecdotes.

I'm glad that Danielle Nicolet was bumped up to main cast this year, she's definitely going to fill the hole left by Jesse Martin while he's off recovering.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"Barry, I'm a horrible mom in the future!"
"Iris, you don't have to be that person. You aren't that person. Choose a different path."
"It isn't that simple Barry!"
"Remember when I killed you in an alternate future, and then trying to stop that version of me from killing you in the present you shot me/him in the back?"
"Oh yeah. Good point."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

XboxPants posted:

As someone finding myself in a similar situation to barry and iris, i've found Nora's cartoonishly buffoonish, whiny, impetuous, generally childish behavior to be generally quite cathartic, and really quite a bit less exaggerated than you may think

Also Cecille was a motherfucking rockstar this week and made me cry. Grandparents are incredible. :unsmith:

You've been visited by your time travelling daughter?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

You've been visited by your time travelling daughter?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how they're letting Ralph do some of the grosser stuff that Elongated man does. I just need to see him stretch an eyeball to see around a corner.

And I know it was probably Spider-Man, but stretching herself is how Ms Marvel travels around.

One problem with the Dad hunt by Caitlin and friends is that he seemed to assume she'd know a guy that can see the past and future.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I like how they're letting Ralph do some of the grosser stuff that Elongated man does. I just need to see him stretch an eyeball to see around a corner.

And I know it was probably Spider-Man, but stretching herself is how Ms Marvel travels around.

One problem with the Dad hunt by Caitlin and friends is that he seemed to assume she'd know a guy that can see the past and future.

Lately I've tried to give Flash the same benefit of the doubt that I give Legends, because for shows that involve time travel this much, neither of them are capable of thinking 4-dimensionally, to an almost charming degree.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

Lately I've tried to give Flash the same benefit of the doubt that I give Legends, because for shows that involve time travel this much, neither of them are capable of thinking 4-dimensionally, to an almost charming degree.

Yea, I don't really have a problem with it, but its kinda glaring. Like if the messages could be revealed only by extreme cold or something, that would makes sense.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Barry Allen can sense a bullet about to plow through his spinal column and snatch it out of the way in time but getting clubbed on the back of the head? Out for the count.

It gave us Iris tossing herself off the building, which was badass. Doesn't change the fact that last season Barry had to have Ralph save him after he was hit with that anti-grav power but somehow this time he was able to race to the ground in a free fall, far enough away from the building that he couldn't just run down the side.

Speedforce.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Mortanis posted:

Barry Allen can sense a bullet about to plow through his spinal column and snatch it out of the way in time but getting clubbed on the back of the head? Out for the count.

It gave us Iris tossing herself off the building, which was badass. Doesn't change the fact that last season Barry had to have Ralph save him after he was hit with that anti-grav power but somehow this time he was able to race to the ground in a free fall, far enough away from the building that he couldn't just run down the side.

Speedforce.

Yeah, didn't they say something about terminal velocity in a previous season? Like, he can't activate his goesfast in free fall?

Whatever, Speedforce be praised.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah, didn't they say something about terminal velocity in a previous season? Like, he can't activate his goesfast in free fall?

It was I think fighting Zoom in S2, iirc. Still, they only said he can't do something like fall faster once he hits terminal velocity, not that it stops him from using speed at all. I mean if you wanna bs it, he totally could've made a wind vortex with his spinny arms to cushion/stop their fall. Sure, we didn't see him do that at all, but it doesn't have to be strictly speedforce.gif in this particular instance.

Now if you want total bs restrictions, Legends featured Thawne saying the Speed Force just straight up doesn't work in zero gravity, no vibro-hands or anything.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 16, 2018

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

TwoPair posted:

... .

Now if you want total bs restrictions, Legends featured Thawne saying the Speed Force just straight up doesn't work in zero gravity, no vibro-hands or anything.

I just assumed he didn't want to use his speed somewhere he wouldn't have been able to flee Zoom.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TwoPair posted:

he totally could've made a wind vortex with his spinny arms to cushion/stop their fall. Sure, we didn't see him do that at all, but it doesn't have to be strictly speedforce.gif in this particular instance.

I'm not sure by what metric creating a wind vortex with your spinny arms doesn't count as speedforce.gif.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ApeHawk posted:

I" just assume his feet need to be touching something to activate his speed. Some sort of solid surface.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

I'm not sure by what metric creating a wind vortex with your spinny arms doesn't count as speedforce.gif.

Fair. I thought the jokey nature people in this thread generally use when referring to speedforce.gif was referring to the show inventing powers or just straight up not even trying to bs an explanation for how a thing Barry does works, whereas wind vortices have been an established thing speedsters can do for a while.

But I mean yeah like you said it's stupid regardless.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I" just assume his feet need to be touching something to activate his speed. Some sort of solid surface.

When you can phase through matter air is relatively solid.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mortanis posted:

Speedforce.

He can also get half way round the world in an instant, but in this episode took minutes to catchup with a guy on a 100cc motorcycle a few blocks away.
They have never been consistent with how fast he can go and what he can do with his speed.

Hopefully the Nora angst is done with.
I'm normally not bothered by US shows and movies casting people in their 30s as teenagers but Nora is really getting on my nerves.
She looks way older than the character they have written - the character is acting like a 14 year old, but they have implied she is older, but the characters treat her like she is 14

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could imagine Nora (wait there are currently 3 Nora's in the Arrowverse, Nora Darkh, Nora Allen the dead mom and Nora Allen the daughter from the future) acts like that because she was treated like a child by Iris, and because of that was emotionally stunted.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I really liked Rag Doll, he was a proper creepy villain. I'm glad they tied up the Nora/Iris drama. I thought that was one of the better episodes this season so far, tbh.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked Rag Doll’s aesthetic, but he was such a nothing character. I hope they delve a bit deeper if they bring him back.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

You know, the reason future Iris treated young Nora the way that she did (inhibitor chip and all) could be because of something that happens to Nora in the present, and Iris actually remembers future Nora traveling back to the past/present, and is doing something to prevent that horrible thing from happening

I hope that made sense.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

It was I think fighting Zoom in S2, iirc. Still, they only said he can't do something like fall faster once he hits terminal velocity, not that it stops him from using speed at all. I mean if you wanna bs it, he totally could've made a wind vortex with his spinny arms to cushion/stop their fall. Sure, we didn't see him do that at all, but it doesn't have to be strictly speedforce.gif in this particular instance.

I'd say you could definitely twist that as super speed still works in Zero-G but without practice under those conditions, it's basically like trying to accurately swing a chainsaw one handed and that's not gonna turn out well. So gently caress it.

Alternatively, he tried running in super speed and it didn't take (for obvious reasons) and just said gently caress it, it doesn't work.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Elseworld promo shots

http://www.ksitetv.com/supergirl/dc-tv-crossover-elseworlds-photos-are-here/187111/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh I wanna see Sisko go full on Tony Montana from the last act of Scarface. But I also want too see Braniac and regular Sisko work on a problem together.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Oh I wanna see Sisko go full on Tony Montana from the last act of Scarface. But I also want too see Braniac and regular Sisko work on a problem together.

Your spelling confused the poo poo out of me as Avery Brooks isn't in this show.

Cisco

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They were talking about the writer and performer of the Thong Song

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 20, 2018

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Guy A. Person posted:

They were talking about the writer and performer of the Thong Song

I believe you are referring to the “Thawne Song.”

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Your spelling confused the poo poo out of me as Avery Brooks isn't in this show.

Cisco

My phone kept autocorrecting Cisco to Sisko and I just gave up fighting it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cecile is the goddamn best.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Mr. Freeze shout-out. They’re really prepping for Elseworlds, aren’t they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Cecile is the goddamn best.

It's insane how quickly she became the best part of the show