Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Man boogie fat... he so obese motherfucker can't even walk, why do people still give him the benefit of the doubt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I hope Ryan Reynolds dunks on him.

Don't think there is a hoop in the world large enough

Archer666 posted:

If t.a.t.u. almost had an anime,

Well....

PSw/G is the best anime, fite me :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SteelMentor posted:

God drat, the state of British pop music was loving dire in the late 90's/early 2000's. You had that small blip of hope with Britpop in the early nineties, then the next 2 half decades there was a million poo poo pop groups trying to ride on the coat-tails of S Club, Spice Girls and Steps, along with the glut of terrible, terrible novelty/comedy songs that the British public inexplicably loves.

Honestly things haven't got much better, the groups pumped out are still terrible but their handlers know to tone down the cheese and hire better song writers.

Hey, at least we got Gorillaz as a response to that nonsense.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 20, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, at least we got Gorillaz as a response to that nonsense.

to this day, demon days remains the greatest album ever recorded and i'll fight anyone that thinks otherwise

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

to this day, demon days remains the greatest album ever recorded and i'll fight anyone that thinks otherwise

Poppy released a new album recently and...

sorry dude

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Dom reviews the Grindelwald flick (well, Terrence the Ravenclaw does) and calls the film 'representation blue balls.'

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KayTee posted:

Poppy released a new album recently and...

sorry dude

is this a joke post, this is one of the worst things i have ever heard

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

The Dom reviews the Grindelwald flick (well, Terrence the Ravenclaw does) and calls the film 'representation blue balls.'

I saw this twitter thread being retweeted in my feed. Seemed like the production was just a very toxic environment.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

is this a joke post, this is one of the worst things i have ever heard

If thinking that helps you sleep then yeah, sure.

's a good album tho.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I read an article on Bustle regarding Leta Lestrange's role as "the tragic mulatto" archetype in the new Fantastic Beasts movie and hooo boy. Spoilers ahoy in that article, but if that's the level of tact Rowling was going with writing the screenplay I am going to stay away.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Is Poppy's music still coasting off being some hokey character thing, cause that song sucked real bad and that article is embarrassing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yardbomb posted:

Is Poppy's music still coasting off being some hokey character thing, cause that song sucked real bad and that article is embarrassing.

oh wait, this is THAT poppy? no fuckin wonder it sucks so goddamn hard.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yeah it is. you can tell the article is bad by how it doesn't distinguish between nu-metal and heavy metal, using both terms alternatively to refer to the same song. the song is also really bland and just basically a heavier version of existing song venus fly except with a metal-style guitar that it doesn't know how to use properly.

it seems like an attempt to ape baby metal without knowing why the metal part works.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Scrap the whole Fantastic Beasts plot-line you tried to have going and if you still want to make movies in the Harry Potter world because you need that cash, just make them about the characters we really want to see expanded on.

Like Neville's Grandmother.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Another modern one would be fun if only to see all the petty jabs at Corbynite stand-ins.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

forget hp, give me my So You Want to be a Wizard movie already

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jimbot posted:

Another modern one would be fun if only to see all the petty jabs at Corbynite stand-ins.

i'd love that just to see how she'd be able to make the made-up anti-semitism angle against corbyn work in a unuverse where she wrote the bankers as greedy hook-nosed goblins

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'd love that just to see how she'd be able to make the made-up anti-semitism angle against corbyn work in a unuverse where she wrote the bankers as greedy hook-nosed goblins
Something something everybody loves the Goblins and respects them so it's fine, something something but there are some weird proto-Goblins that Not-Corbyn hates for eating literal gold or w/e and this isn't true something something not-Corbyn wants to literally enslave the poor working class wizard and muggle something something a wizard did it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Scrap the whole Fantastic Beasts plot-line you tried to have going and if you still want to make movies in the Harry Potter world because you need that cash, just make them about the characters we really want to see expanded on.

Like Neville's Grandmother.

was the new one that bad? i kinda liked the first fantastic beasts and i am not much of potter fan(read all the books and liked them well enough when i was in junior high) going to see the new one tomarrow because my girlfriend loves the wizard stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

Bethesda have coasted off being The Mod Games forever now, it's poo poo yet people will still bend over backwards to an insane degree to defend them.

As someone who has no nostalgia or inherent love of Bethesda, but played Skyrim all the way through for the first time within the last month or two: Skyrim is good. Was the time one of the main story quests soft-locked because a cutscene couldn't complete properly acceptable? No. Was I pleased with a handful of other issues like that affecting certain sidequests? No. Is the Thieves Guild storyline still total trash? Absolutely. But beyond those issues I fell completely in love with the game to the point where I was genuinely considering installing Oblivion and playing the series backwards (instead I'm now mired in ESO for better or worse).

I can't really speak for any of their other games or New Vegas though. Fallout 3 was my first proper exposure and it didn't click with me at the time. I played NV roughly up until I hit the titular city and got overwhelmed by the complexity of the inter-woven quest design combined with that being the point where the game starts sending you in every direction at once plus hemming and hawing about making sure I got the best outcome with Veronica because why wouldn't you. Frankly I'm wondering if for me personally a lot of it comes down to Skyrim's setting; trudging through ESO's version of Morrowind's swamps (and right on the heels of Skyrim's Morrowind DLC to boot) got tiresome...

It's also incredibly funny that goons paint Bethesda fans with the broadest of strokes while still, to this very day, frothing at the mouth about the New Vegas Metacritic thing. More than Obsidian ever did themselves and ~mysteriously~ never about the concept itself, which is/was allegedly a common industry-wide practice.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 21, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

John Murdoch posted:

still, to this very day, frothing at the mouth about the New Vegas Metacritic thing. More than Obsidian ever did themselves and ~mysteriously~ never about the concept itself, which is/was allegedly a common industry-wide practice.

It's good to be mad and stay mad about flagrant attacks on workers like that, without even mentioning the ridiculous timeframe they were put under to make the thing in the first place. Also most people do in fact care about it further than just that, because it's a fuckin garbage practice that's open to any number of manipulations to cheat workers, which we already know moneybags will gladly do any time the chance arises.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also nobody is defending the burning trash fire that is Fallout 76. It's just unsalvageably bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

It's good to be mad and stay mad about flagrant attacks on workers like that, without even mentioning the ridiculous timeframe they were put under to make the thing in the first place. Also most people do in fact care about it further than just that, because it's a fuckin garbage practice that's open to any number of manipulations to cheat workers, which we already know moneybags will gladly do any time the chance arises.

I agree! Too bad I only ever see it come up in the very specific context of goons posting the same exact angry diatribe about Mean Mr. Bethesda screwing over Poor Little Obsidian* for the 68,407th time.

*And as we all know, New Vegas was created by the insanely omni-talented duo of Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone and nobody else. Those two men are the only reason New Vegas was good and Bethesda was responsible for anything and everything bad about it.

It would be a lot cooler to see people talk about what they love about New Vegas, on its own terms, rather than defensively comparing it to Fallout 3 at every goddamn available opportunity and using it as a springboard to attack Bethesda. Especially when you'd think after two "bad" Elder Scrolls games and two "bad" Fallout games you'd figure out the pattern and stop giving a poo poo about the company that's clearly not interested in making the type of game you want!

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 21, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yes people are gonna talk about the most and fairly certain only known instance of the practice.

What are you mad about again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yes people are gonna talk about the most and fairly certain only known instance of the practice.

What are you mad about again.

Still not good at interpreting posts huh.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Probably the reason why Bethesda automatically gets a lot of negative blowback when people talk about New Vegas is because they kinda clearly took every step they could to make sure that Obsidian got hosed over, but hey-ho, that obviously didn't happen and Bethesda are a brilliant company

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Every time people talk about New Vegas, they talk about the things they love about it. Not how awesome ropekid is. I'm not sure where you are getting that idea.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

John Murdoch posted:

Still not good at interpreting posts huh.

If you wrote them better it would help.

But being snarky is more fun I guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Every time people talk about New Vegas, they talk about the things they love about it. Not how awesome ropekid is. I'm not sure where you are getting that idea.

I think this dude may just have some weird issues with Obsidian. That’s the on,y way that weirdly angry post out of nowhere can be explained

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Avellone has gone on record that they were not mistreated by Bethesda and a lot of the dumb things like the short timeframe were Feargus Uruqhart's ideas. While this would normally be taken with a grain of salt given how Chris and him have bad blood, Feargus himself has been saying the same thing for years in interviews.

Here's a twitter thread with some of his comments. https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisavellone/status/1057842236002463746

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 21, 2018

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Defunctland goes on vacation for 11 minutes

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The "Bethesda hosed over Obsidian" narrative is one thats told more by fans of the franchise than the people that actually work/ed at Obsidian.

I say "fans of the franchise" because the Bethesda games are big bag of shite compared to 1, 2 and NV.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also nobody is defending the burning trash fire that is Fallout 76. It's just unsalvageably bad.

yeah. i am a bethesda fanboy and they hosed up bad on this. what sucks is i heard the lore is actually pretty good but if they can't make the gameplay fun or run or quests, then gently caress that poo poo.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Speaking of anime, can someone recomend some good anime reviwers? Preferably ones that are more into slower paced stuff like Flying Witch, Holmes of Kyoto, The Anchient Magus Bride ect?

I tried Anime Abandon, and we have very different tastes. More like Mother's Basement?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair I’m not sure what Obsidian would gain by saying Bethesda hosed them over.

They are a small studio and crushing their relationship with a bigger one is insane mistreatment or not.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Donoteat01 doing a City Skylines video on Public Housing (Part 1 of 2!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqJbE1bvdgo

Part ONE is an hour long. Learn to trim FFS

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i am a bethesda fanboy and they hosed up bad on this. what sucks is i heard the lore is actually pretty good but if they can't make the gameplay fun or run or quests, then gently caress that poo poo.

The fact that one of the big enemies is (seemingly, I haven't seen any in-depth model skeleton comparisons it just looks so got-drat the same) a reskinned Skyrim dragon is just...

It's not bad, that they reused something like that games reuse assets all the time hell most if not all entertainment and artistic mediums reuse things from their own previous works whether intentional or not.

It's just so very...interesting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The fact that one of the big enemies is (seemingly, I haven't seen any in-depth model skeleton comparisons it just looks so got-drat the same) a reskinned Skyrim dragon is just...

It's not bad, that they reused something like that games reuse assets all the time hell most if not all entertainment and artistic mediums reuse things from their own previous works whether intentional or not.

It's just so very...interesting.

yeah its dumb. i genuinly like the back story of the region in the game and its interesting to be this early in the timeline and i don't even hate the idea of the scourged and scourched beasts but it doesn't feel very fallout like and fallout is pretty malleable when it comes to its lore and weird poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Obsidian got screwed over by a combination of the timetable Bethesda offered them, plus Obsidian's upper management being dumb enough to agree to those stipulations. Avellone has said that the fault in Obsidian lies at the top, and that the actual dev team is really talented and can do great work when they aren't operating under insane time constraints.
New Vegas being released the way it was came as a result of a schedule that was clearly inadequate, Obsidian working with an engine they weren't fully familiar with, and Bethesda's abysmal quality assurance (one of the agreements in the 18 month dev cycle was that Bethesda would help do bugfixes for Obsidian due to their experience with gamebryo, and we all know how good Bethesda is at bugfixes).

If Obsidian had negotiated for a longer dev cycle and knew the engine better so they didn't need to rely on Bethesda to help with bugfixes, I'm sure the game would have turned out better. The isometric games that Obsidian has made in the past few years are mostly bug free because they took the time to polish everything up.

The Microsoft acquisition is interesting though because the studio was picked up following a one two punch of bad luck. First was how an XBone exclusive Obsidian was working on was suddenly canceled, and second was Pillars of Eternity 2 underperforming sales wise. From what I've heard, Microsoft had cancelled the XBone exclusive because Obsidian and Microsoft had very different ideas on how the game was envisioned. It was being developed at a time when game engines were transitioning and the expectations that Microsoft had were unrealistic for Obsidian to achieve, so the game was canned after years of conceptual development. It completely hosed over Obsidian financially. This makes the conspiracy theorist in me wonder if this was a long term plan to put Obsidian at a disadvantage and then sweep them up so they can get their exclusives library growing.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair I’m not sure what Obsidian would gain by saying Bethesda hosed them over.

They are a small studio and crushing their relationship with a bigger one is insane mistreatment or not.

Avellone is long since gone from Obsidian, so what would he gain from continuing to kiss Bethesda's rear end this far out. Also it's not like Bethesda did QA for every one of Obsidian's notoriously buggy games (Alpha Protocol forex). I'd sooner believe the allegations in that rambling mess of a post by ""Chris Avellone"" (with the main thrust of "Obsidian is/was badly managed") than the ridiculously embellished tall tale of how Bethesda, jealous of the clearly superior writing of New Vegas, did everything they could to sabotage the QA process to deny them those precious bonuses. And poor Obsidian, so glued to the corporate teat that they can't speak out about this mistreatment and are even so brainwashed that they've repeatedly said they'd jump at the chance to work on another Fallout game.

I've got nothing against Obsidian in the slightest. What gets my hackles up is how often the mere mention of Fallout in any way, shape, or form devolves into exact same 10 minutes hate against Bethesda without fail. Always the metacritic bonuses, always about how New Vegas is objectively better than Fallout 3.

Jimbot posted:

I genuinely fail to remember seeing a single post - outside specific Fallout/NV threads maybe - that didn't either A) poo poo on Fallout 3 or 4 first and foremost or B) praise New Vegas but only by pointing out how much better it is than those trash garbage Bethesda games. There was also definitely a period where goons circlejerked themselves silly about parts of the game, assuming they must have been written by Chris Avellone or personally touched by J.Sawyer only to then have him show up and explain who was actually responsible for those sections.

(TBH I wouldn't be surprised if there was some overlap with people who still tie themselves in knots over Dragon Age 2.)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 21, 2018