Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

no, encouraging people to hire you for the dead technologies you know is career suicide

lots of people still migrating off legacy unix

lots of greybeard hiring managers who just want to know you're one of the tribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

jit bull transpile posted:

any job is better for ciaphas than what's going on now. he should maximize his opportunity to get anything. who gives a gently caress if its with legacy systems?
the decision's up to him, but he should give a gently caress because there is a point at which nobody will forgive you for having a resume full of forgotten tech

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
except the people who haven't forgotten it, and they need to hire someone to fix their broken poo poo, and you're one of the very few people who has the experience to do it

cobol programmers won't find work at startups in the valley but they can still make bank at... banks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
cobol programmers are mostly fresh grads, in my experience

it's hard to find senior people who actively want to work on cobol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
re: solaris, I got past the phone screen for my current job because the hiring manager and i spent an hour shooting the poo poo about the ~*~ good old days ~*~ of legacy unix

don't underestimate that kind of poo poo

telling dumbass war stories is valuable even if the skills are pretty dated

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I got my job from posting mumps war stories in yospos. people don't even need to know the ancient tech you're using, you just need to know it well enough to be perceived as some type of witch or warlock

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

I got my job from posting mumps war stories in yospos. people don't even need to know the ancient tech you're using, you just need to know it well enough to be perceived as some type of witch or warlock

lol you're making GBS threads me

aapl reached out because of your posts?

I mean, they were good posts, but, poo poo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

what kind of job is it

I’m open to options that lead in the technical direction I’m looking to go, which is web app development in the Bay Area, despite a lack of spring butt experience that comes from working in legacy-bound companies that were willing to pay me. If anyone wants to talk I’ll buy platinum and pm.

If it works I might ban myself and if not you’ll have the ultimate “shut up gazpacho” line

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 21, 2018

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I learned ada and mumps in college

the ada guy taught the weed out CS course (In ada obviously) and really liked trains to the point where he did a project course once every two years where you used ada to control model trains

the mumps guy used it in a databases course and he was a huge conservative douche from chesapeake

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well, an anonymous goon on a team with an opening reached out to me. actually eschaton did too but I didn't have the swift knowledge his group wanted.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

what kind of job is it

large datums

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Recruiters from palantir and Facebook reached out to me this week. I guess they're scouring for potential h1bs?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i want to be happy for you though it is a struggle

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

i want to be happy for you though it is a struggle

i like it a lot and im learning a lot about modern java as i go. i get to be something of a firefighter which has always been one of my strongest skills and I get to work with tech I've never touched before between the big data stuff, java (i write lambdas like a champ now holy poo poo), protobuf , etc. I'm not really worried about what it "looks like" to the next job because right now I'm happy at this one and if I need a new job the apple on the resume should be enough to get it at least to a human reader.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

send your resume out as a .tiff of your LaTeX

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I got a job from asking for it on Twitter to the owner, and they had read blog posts of mine which they liked

I got a job from helping people on IRC a few times and they decided to hire me instead of just asking questions

I got a job from having someone review some writing I did and them liking it enough to offer me a job

I got a job from giving a talk on a topic a CEO really really liked at an event they organized

Tech is not objective, tech is not meritocratic, and you always get hired faster by knowing someone on the inside than any other avenue possible.

In some cases you might even be able to bypass interview processes altogether because someone vouched for you very hard (though that might be a red flag, you want to interview them as well). But really, knowing people online and having demonstrated some level of knowledge can work real good. I know I've also personally reached out to a few goons over the years when the profile and job opening seemed to be a good fit, and at least one was interested, hired, and I even got a commission on it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qhat posted:

Recruiters from palantir and Facebook reached out to me this week. I guess they're scouring for potential h1bs?

palantir is satan tho

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Roughly half of my jobs were via referrals and the interviews were either skipped or a formality.

MononcQc posted:

In some cases you might even be able to bypass interview processes altogether because someone vouched for you very hard (though that might be a red flag, you want to interview them as well).

Agreed, if there is no formal interview you still want to ask your questions about the company before accepting any offers!

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Welp it looks like my turkey day vacay just got turned into interview prep. Wasn't expecting anything over the holidays but I've touched base (possibly space docked) with one of the BIG 5 and an investment firm. It also looks like I can get a referral to another big company via my roommate's uncle.

in b4 nintendo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

my therapist offered to help rewrite my resume yesterday

i still haven't decided what to make of that offer, but my first reaction literally being "... that bad, huh" is probably a sign of necessity i guess

did have a phone screening thanks to a goon here, but it fell through long ago shortly afterward. still not sure why, but that could be bad memory

wish i'd networked in college instead of pursuing an education (lol)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

wish i'd networked in college instead of pursuing an education (lol)
:same:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I'm extremely bad at networking too :(

In addition to making it hard to job hunt it makes it hard to hire more people.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Yeah my resume was trash too, and I've been editing it multiple times a day for the past 2 weeks, and it's finally something i scan kinda look at and not barf. You should take up the offer, and if you haven't already, maybe have a goon(s) give it a once over.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh man i wasn’t sure before so i wasn’t going to say anything but now that i know this is the case: big thanks to you guys for buying out and blackholeing our only real competition on the market :tipshat:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

oh man i wasn’t sure before so i wasn’t going to say anything but now that i know this is the case: big thanks to you guys for buying out and blackholeing our only real competition on the market :tipshat:

I was personally responsible

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

elite_garbage_man posted:

Welp it looks like my turkey day vacay just got turned into interview prep. Wasn't expecting anything over the holidays but I've touched base (possibly space docked) with one of the BIG 5 and an investment firm. It also looks like I can get a referral to another big company via my roommate's uncle.

in b4 nintendo
do nintendo and sony count as "the games industry"?

if so don't work there

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I was personally responsible

my stock options thank you

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

my stock options thank you

look at this chump not even getting rsus 👸🏽

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Rex-Goliath posted:

was your comp FoundationDB?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

We're hiring right now and the applicants have been so goddamn bad so far. Two completely unqualified people like one not even in tech, and then one dude who's entire resume attachment was a PDF saying he's definitely qualified and btw is this job work from home? Jesus

Anyway if you want to work on kubernetes and golang remotely for fat stacks pm me. I'm 0/3 on referrals so far so lmao.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

We're hiring right now and the applicants have been so goddamn bad so far. Two completely unqualified people like one not even in tech, and then one dude who's entire resume attachment was a PDF saying he's definitely qualified and btw is this job work from home? Jesus

Anyway if you want to work on kubernetes and golang remotely for fat stacks pm me. I'm 0/3 on referrals so far so lmao.

is your company palantir

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
tempting but ... golang

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

on second thought i don't think i want to work with anyone who has read my posting and is still willing to consider hiring me

One-Man-Bucket
Jan 6, 2004
The banjo is the superior instrument

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

remote as in not-usa?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

is japan or the eu a possibility?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

its the same one ive posted before, youre welcome to look it over too if you like

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_Ic--nK8b8XKzsfg22mbjxmCks5Vf4YG

minor differences from the real one but aesthetic only (desaturated the color and like one point of header font size)

disclaimer: my resume-fu comes from japan, so it may be different in format

first of all, list most recent thing as first item - make sure the topmost items contain the stuff and tech you are working on, slip in buzzwords to make it seem more awesome than it is

on my resume every job item is formatted basically like this:

Month 2018 - Present: software engineer, ACME corp (company website URL). Location, Country.
Responsibilities:
+ poo poo I did day to day
+ more poo poo I did day to day
+ at least 4-5 items here ranging from "app I coded" to "took part in designing and developing BIG THING" (even if you just attended meetings)
Keywords: every little bit of technology you laid your hands on during this job that matters to computer touching (Docker, C#, WPF, XAML, etc.). (This part probably helps buzzword recruiters and systems that just look for keywords)

another thought but i recall you said you have 10 years of experience - and the resume also mentions you went through different roles (comp scientist I to III).. so if i compare my resume which sort of has the same format and i have a similar number of years worked - why not split the positions up so you make it look like you worked for 3 different companies (sort of)

like this:
comp sci iii:
- amazing stuff you did
comp sci ii:
- amazing stuff you did back then
comp sci i:
- amazing stuff you did in ancient history

i think this makes it look visually more impressive and shows that you have gone through a career progression, although professional CV readers here will probably disagree

also have you considered starting a little github where you post project euler solutions just so you can add a link to the CV? I have had people request github links in interview processes (with positive results)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

GenJoe posted:

was your comp FoundationDB?

very good!

they weren’t exactly *direct* competition as they were key-value but they were the only other guys offering ACID

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

is your company palantir

God no

Yeah anywhere in world though probably it will be lovely if you're 12 hours away from North America

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

k just asking cause I had a call with them recently and that was their pitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I want to work remotely with rust