Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

its crazy how far we've come with consumer technology, like, i can play dark forces on my phone

still a pain in the rear end to print from a computer ????

To be fair, playing an FPS on a touchscreen can be described as being a pain in the rear end.

And printing is pretty deprecated at this point.

ded posted:

Ah that would work. I'm already using a Pi for pihole.

Ooh, since you mentioned it, that reminded me, I've been meaning to set up a Pi-Hole myself! One of these days....

Hadlock posted:

I don't think I've owned a printer since like 2007. When I needed copies of my resume I'd just email them to Kinko's and have them print a copy. Airlines take cell phones as boarding passes, Google maps mobile has been a thing for over a decade. Online photo printing is super cheap.

What are people using printers for in their homes these days? Serious question.

Basically this. We still have a nice printer in the house, a color laser, networked, duplexing, MFP (everything but GCP, basically,) from back during the fringes of when you'd seriously consider having a printer in the house mandatory, but it's mostly sitting there collecting dust. The last thing I used it for was printing a form for a rebate (which is getting me $50, so that's pretty great) but even then, almost everything like that that needs to be printed can be done at work. Aside from maybe another rebate, I can't remember the last thing that had to be printed.

Hadlock posted:

The last thing I printed, ever, was some race instructions for a outdoor race, and some maps to distribute to my crew. That was in like early June. Before that was a mail in rebate. Both were done at the office. Prior to that was a paper resume back in like June 2017. I can't possibly imagine dedicating a permanent spot in mind house for a thing I use twice a year, let alone pay for it, and wasting my time maintaining it and probably buying new ink due to it going stale from lack of use.

I agree, once my last printer dies it's not going to be replaced, there's just no reason to have one anymore as long as you can print somewhere else on the rare occasion where you'd want to. By the way, ink doesn't "go stale" because it's not food but it could certainly dry out, but toner doesn't have that problem. Not that any of that matters anymore, of course.

I had an HP LaserJet 4 Plus in my bedroom, a ~1993-vintage printer (received about 15 years ago) that still worked when I finally got rid of it at a computer recycling thing. The duplexer for it was my first purchase on eBay, but I just couldn't justify keeping it around anymore as I hadn't printed anything to it in years. It was a shame, those things were tanks and could probably last forever, but I really had no use for it.

Hadlock posted:

You can cut your hair at home by yourself with a flowbie but nobody does it, you pay for that service because it's a waste of your time and space in your house. I could make frozen margaritas or french fries at my house if I bought the machine for it, and use it twice a year but instead I pay a tiny bit extra for someone else to do it.

TL;DR printers are dumb and you should feel bad, and your flowbie haircut looks stupid.

I had to Google this, I had no loving idea what a "flowbee" was. :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got my c302CA today and I'm really enjoying it. I can see why maybe 16:10 might have been better and how 3:2 might have been better for tablet mode. I don't mind though, I'd much rather have the wider keyboard. Though it does feel weird that my new chromebook is behind my 3 year old chromebook in both both version and kernel.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I just did some quick math and the money I've saved cutting my own hair over the last 2 years paid for my c302.

Printers are not haircuts you galoot. It's not hard to give yourself a good fade, but it is hard to troubleshoot consumer grade printer drivers and networking.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

post ur haircut

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

3D print your haircut

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Where the hell are the new acer chrome books?! I want a 13 with the HD screen

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Today I learned the Pixelbook does not have a graceful way to handle when the battery is too dead to power up, like how a Mac or iPad will display a charging icon on-screen until there's enough juice to safely boot.

The Pixelbook just sits there and flashes the keyboard backlight erratically for a while. I assumed there was a hardware failure of some sort. In the time it took to open a chat session with support and get someone on the line, it had charged up enough to boot.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Today I learned the Pixelbook does not have a graceful way to handle when the battery is too dead to power up, like how a Mac or iPad will display a charging icon on-screen until there's enough juice to safely boot.

The Pixelbook just sits there and flashes the keyboard backlight erratically for a while. I assumed there was a hardware failure of some sort. In the time it took to open a chat session with support and get someone on the line, it had charged up enough to boot.

That applies to some other devices (phones, laptops, etc.) as well; some devices just need a charge before they'll start working at all, even if you're subsequently using them off mains power while they're simultaneously continuing to charge. The behavior might differ if you were to use a greater power supply (e.g. if it comes with a 60 W one, a separate 100 W supply might allow it to power up immediately.)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I find this a little surprising but it's nevertheless fortuitous: the Acer R13 will apparently be getting Linux app support (despite the ARM CPU, so packages will have to be compatible but otherwise it's good news.) This is of course on top of already having Android app support, so this is a pleasant surprise for a slightly-older CB that frankly I thought was overlooked (it's on my recommended list though!)

For those unaware, the R13 is kind of Acer's super-sized version of Asus' original 10" Flip (it's closer to that than the 12" Flip is to either) and is a surprisingly good device for being in the $200-300 range. It is 13" though, which isn't particularly large for laptops in general but it's on the larger size for CBs, which seem to be hovering around 12".

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
How limiting is the ARM CPU really? I keep looking at it because of the price and deciding against it because of the CPU.

I want something in the 13-14" range with a 1080p screen and a non-poo poo CPU, preferably for under $400 (or ideally under $300 because I'm cheap). I feel like I haven't found the right one yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm really enjoying my C302a. Especially after finding out that alt and the brightness buttons changes the keyboard brightness.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

How limiting is the ARM CPU really? I keep looking at it because of the price and deciding against it because of the CPU.

I want something in the 13-14" range with a 1080p screen and a non-poo poo CPU, preferably for under $400 (or ideally under $300 because I'm cheap). I feel like I haven't found the right one yet.

It's not particularly limiting at all. Its performance is better than that of the low-end Intel CPUs and you're not going to be able to identify the CPU you're using anyway, it just works. The only limiting factor of it being ARM is potentially Linux software compatibility, and that's only a problem if there's something that doesn't already have an ARM package and you can't compile it from source. Installing Steam itself and most if not all of the games on it are a no-go, not that such a system would play AAA titles in the first place. On the other hand, Android app support should be better than on an Intel CB.

I think you'd like the Acer R13 if you want a device >13". I peeked at prices and it's definitely around the range I listed on eBay, BIN; if you can find the 64 GB storage version give it a shot. It's not the only ~14" CB, but it's IIRC the only convertible one and is still cheap.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm really enjoying my C302a. Especially after finding out that alt and the brightness buttons changes the keyboard brightness.

The models with backlit keyboards have always worked like that; more specifically though, they automatically adjust both the display and keyboard brightness together (i.e. when they dim upon inactivity) however once you manually adjust the keyboard it stays that way until you restart the system.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Got a couple CB deals for ya:

This is the Acer 14 for $250, the nice, faux-Macbook Air CB at a fraction of the cost, and this is the good version with the FHD display.

The Acer 15 Spin is a newer model, and for $420 you can blaze it errday. :420: It's large for a CB and especially for a convertible, but it's got a decent CPU and storage, plus a backlit keyboard. If you're looking for a semi-desktop-replacement CB, this wouldn't be terrible.

Oh also I hear Google Assistant is coming to most/all CBs for anyone who might actually care about that. :shrug:

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Atomizer posted:

Got a couple CB deals for ya:

This is the Acer 14 for $250, the nice, faux-Macbook Air CB at a fraction of the cost, and this is the good version with the FHD display.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromeb...r+chromebook+14

Amazon has it refurbished for 10 bucks cheaper. Does this have Android app support?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Crunkjuice posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromeb...r+chromebook+14

Amazon has it refurbished for 10 bucks cheaper. Does this have Android app support?

Yes, it currently has Android app support.

It should also be getting Linux app support, and you should be able to enable it in the beta or dev branches right now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My R11 on Canary now has Google Assistant :toot:

And it's only crashed twice today!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So I just spent a little bit playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Project Stream. It went pretty well, and it was cool to be able to seamlessly play a AAA game directly on my CB. I've used game streaming services before, and this was basically the same in terms of the experience: it really is almost like playing the game locally, with minimal latency and only occasional hiccups or pixellation (largely due to the mediocre wireless connection I'm on at the moment.) I had no idea what I was doing (I've never played any of the AC games) but that's another story.... :cheeky:

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's neat. I heard the future of PC gaming might be more buying a monitor and keyboard with minimal specs and renting out hardware to have stuff streamed to you in some server farm and it's neat to see that getting closer to it being how that works

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It really is almost ready for that. For anything other than super-twitchy multiplayer games you can probably get by with game streaming. It's been around for several years already; I played through Deus Ex Human Revolution entirely on OnLive (which launched in 2010,) a now-defunct service that was bought out by Sony. I guess the downside is that the current streaming services feel exactly like OnLive did (i.e. not perfect, very connection-dependent,) but like I said, the games are still very playable.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Some CBs for sale here including the HP 13 and Samsung Plus/Pro.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I was looking at getting the acer CB15-1HT-P39B, is this an ok choice? Looking for a large high res screen that is light, under 4 lbs. I will mainly use it to RDP into my desktop computer. How is MS RDP on the chromebook? I use the MS RDP android app on my phone and its fine but how well does it work on the chromebook? On windows RDP is seamless, its just like being on the remote computer, will it work the same on the chromebook? Anything else I should be aware of, will I miss my windows laptop and regret getting a chromebook?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

I was looking at getting the acer CB15-1HT-P39B, is this an ok choice? Looking for a large high res screen that is light, under 4 lbs. I will mainly use it to RDP into my desktop computer. How is MS RDP on the chromebook? I use the MS RDP android app on my phone and its fine but how well does it work on the chromebook? On windows RDP is seamless, its just like being on the remote computer, will it work the same on the chromebook? Anything else I should be aware of, will I miss my windows laptop and regret getting a chromebook?

That's the 3rd-gen Acer 15 (I have one from the 1st gen.) It's a solid choice; the only thing notable about it is it's one of the only CBs with a display that large, otherwise everything else on it is pretty standard. If you don't need that large a display, you can get a higher resolution on a smaller display (e.g. devices like the Samsung Pro with a 2400x1600 ~12" panel.)

I haven't used MS RDP; I use Chrome RD and it works perfectly, exactly as expected. I installed the MS RDP Android app and it runs on this CB, but I don't have any Windows PCs running the server to test out the actual connection, unfortunately. If the Android app works fine on your phone then I'd predict it works the same on any CB that can run Android apps.

You'll be satisfied with any CB you buy. They work exactly as expected (most stuff is in the browser and is OS-agnostic, but new CBs can now natively run Android and Linux desktop apps) and you won't miss your Windows laptop because if you need to run something from it you can just leave it running and remote into it! Game streaming is also becoming a thing (AC Odyssey is playable at the moment.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I also use chrome remote desktop and it's great.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

r0ck0 posted:

I will mainly use it to RDP into my desktop computer. How is MS RDP on the chromebook? I use the MS RDP android app on my phone and its fine but how well does it work on the chromebook? On windows RDP is seamless, its just like being on the remote computer, will it work the same on the chromebook? Anything else I should be aware of, will I miss my windows laptop and regret getting a chromebook?

I haven't tried the Microsoft Remote Desktop App on Android. I've found that many Android apps, even from reputable companies like Amazon and Roku, often don't work very well on my ChromeBook. Maybe the Microsoft Remote Desktop Android app works OK.

I use the Chrome Remote Desktop ChromeOS app. It works ok, but Alt+Backspace key combination does not create a 'delete' keypress, which is pretty annoying. I find it usually disconnects the session when the Chromebook goes to sleep, but you can just re-log back in.

By default, it works like VNC, where it doesn't create its own login session and e.g. when you move the pointer on your chromebook inside of your remote desktop session it moves the pointer on the desktop computer as well, but Chrome Remote Desktop can be re-configured so that it creates its own session like Windows RDP. This re-configuration wasn't really a well-documented feature though, the process was a little more involved than just ticking a box IIRC.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 10, 2018

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

silence_kit posted:

I use the Chrome Remote Desktop ChromeOS app. It works ok, but Alt+Backspace key combination does not create a 'delete' keypress, which is pretty annoying.

Delete is Search+Backspace, like Home is Search+Left and End is Search+Right, like in ChromeOS itself.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sterf posted:

Delete is Search+Backspace, like Home is Search+Left and End is Search+Right, like in ChromeOS itself.

Thanks! This works! 'Delete' in ChromeOS is mapped to Alt+Backspace as well, but I guess it isn't supported across all of the apps like your combo is.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pixelbook is $700 for Black Friday, thinking of getting one to replace my Windows 2-in-1. Is there any big drawback i should be aware of, other than the obvious lack of Windows apps? It seems like a pretty good all-around laptop at that price.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

No, everyone who has one seems to love it. The only consideration might be if you want a detachable model instead, but I'd recommend against that as having a good, functional keyboard built-in is in my opinion what makes CBs better than tablets. This is doubly significant given that the PB gets access to both Android apps and Linux software.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have nothing bad to say about our Pixelbooks except the price is a bit steep for what it does. With the current £300 off I might even say it starts to look like good value.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Pixelbook is $700 for Black Friday, thinking of getting one to replace my Windows 2-in-1. Is there any big drawback i should be aware of, other than the obvious lack of Windows apps? It seems like a pretty good all-around laptop at that price.

I got mine back in July, now I use it pretty much every single day.

I use it for art (bought the Pixelbook pen for $2 on Prime Day (which was also my birthday!) when it went on sale and I had a huge amount of Amazon credit.

I use it for gaming most Android games....a lot of them are clearly phone-based but sometimes, even those work fine.

The only issues I've had was it once didn't want to wake up from sleep, but a lot of the weird issues I have cropped up after the new ChromeOS 70 update. Also, I had an issue where the bottom half of the screen only worked with touch, NOT the pen. A reboot fixed it. Again, after ChromeOS 70. I think that update has been an issue for a few people on Reddit too.

Battery life is awesome on it. I turned off wifi when it's sleeping and it lasts a LONG loving time. I mean like...2-3 days. Well, 2 days for me since I use it all the time.

You can also use Linux apps but don't expect to game or anything with it because you have no audio or real GPU stuff from it. I mean I guess you can use like GIMP or something but...eh.

It's just a drat good laptop and I'm definitely Chrome OS for all my laptop needs. It's replaced the $1,000 Windows laptop I used to use for class and random poo poo.

At $700, it's worth picking up! Also, the keyboard is the best goddamn keyboard I have ever used. It just feels really, really good to type on and I wish I could use it on my Windows desktop.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 21, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Pixelbook remains my most used device as well and I have way too many devices (desktop gaming computer, XPS 15 9550, Surface Pro, Tab S3.)

I'm mulling over the Pixel Slate to replace the Pixelbook and Tab S3 combined. The keyboard situation isn't as ideal, but it should still offer better lapability than the Surface pro.

I'm probably going to distill all my stuff down to Phone, Chromebook, and Ultrabook with eGPU for gaming. I might even forgo that last one and just do a very small form factor PC to replace my gaming desktop. I'm rapidly running out of reasons for a portable Windows device.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah the high-end CBs (not just the PB) can be expensive but they're no more so than nice non-ChromeOS laptops (e.g. XPS 13.) The nice thing about CBs is that you can find a device at any price point and they all work the same.

For any weird hardware-related issues (e.g. touchscreen) try a hardware reset.

As far as the Slate is concerned, while I don't know what the weight distribution is like, just be aware that with detachables in general most of the weight ends up being in the tablet portion, since even if there's a battery in the keyboard part there still needs to be one in the tablet. This often makes them top-heavy, so they skew closer towards a tablet than an actual laptop. It largely comes down to your media consumption vs. creation ratio (i.e., your need for a good keyboard/touchpad,) but if I didn't already have enough CBs (e.g. CB Pixel 2015, HP 13) I'd go for the original PB over the Slate. That HP 360 or whatever and the powerful Acer/Asus/whatever convertible are also viable options.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's no battery in the Slate keyboard, it's a keyboard cover like the Surface or iPad.

The Slate is built like a tablet first, but with pogo pins for the keyboard cover. The Verge commented that it was perfectly balanced in the hand, you could actually balance it on your finger tip in the center of the back.

Because it's actually a keyboard cover though, there's no firm connection point to the device so using it on anything other than a table is a little more difficult.

By all accounts so far though, the use of the keys and the touchpad are nearly as good as the Pixelbook.

For me, the Slate may be better than my Pixelbook for my general use case, but I need to see some reviews first and hopefully handle one in Best Buy.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 21, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for a recommendation:

I have an old Surface Pro 4 that I got for writing sessions and digital art.
It's perfectly okay but it impossible to use on your lap in a traditional laptop style (no hinge, supported by a kickstand).

I'd like to replace it with a Chromebook. All I'm going to do with it is write stuff in Docs, do some illustration in Krita (if supported) and probably gently caress around on YouTube.

Flippable is key. Battery life and weight are important because I will travel with it. Doesn't need to be bigger than 15" and I'd like to stay around $500.

Thank you.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Asus Flip C302 is one of the best affordable convertible CBs. It's $400 new today (next 8 hours) but if you can find it cheaper used/refurb'd (e.g. eBay) go for it.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Atomizer posted:

The Asus Flip C302 is one of the best affordable convertible CBs. It's $400 new today (next 8 hours) but if you can find it cheaper used/refurb'd (e.g. eBay) go for it.

I just picked one of these up, and I'm super impressed so far. Coming from an old macbook air it's kind of a nice change. I didn't realize how much I would love having a touchscreen on my laptop.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

I just picked one of these up, and I'm super impressed so far. Coming from an old macbook air it's kind of a nice change. I didn't realize how much I would love having a touchscreen on my laptop.

I seriously forgot to add, "everyone who buys the C302 loves it."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love my C302A. If they ever allow it to run Linux, it will be even better

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Atomizer posted:

I seriously forgot to add, "everyone who buys the C302 loves it."

I can't tell, does it have a pen inside?
That's a big plus to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's no pen.