Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

we're really leaning toward going whole hog and moving to Canada, Denmark, Germany, etc.

Careful about Canada, we're in the middle of a conservative whiplash right now there's a whole crop of SoCons coming up that, while generally not as awful as Trump, are still pretty awful.

I've heard good things about Denmark though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ChickenWing posted:

Bad news on that front.

quote:

the DPP has pushed debate, particularly on issues of integration and immigration, to the right – including making the country’s unusual and already controversial “ghetto” policy even harsher. Denmark is the only western democracy to mark out official “ghettos” – the word is virtually identical in Danish to English, with similar connotations – where residents are subject to different rules from the rest of the country, simply by dint of their address. The first “ghetto lists” were drawn up nearly a decade ago. But in recent months the government has pushed through policies that demand far more extreme intervention in their residents’ lives.

Laws passed in March require children to spend a minimum of 25 hours a week in state-approved Danish language childcare from the age of one. Proposed new laws, expected to come before parliament in the autumn, could include extra jail time for “ghetto” residents when they are convicted of a crime, or stricter sentences for crimes committed inside the ghetto areas.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/12/denmark-official-ghettos-cultural-assimilation-country-once-tolerant

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Careful about Canada, we're in the middle of a conservative whiplash right now there's a whole crop of SoCons coming up that, while generally not as awful as Trump, are still pretty awful.

Yeah, Ford is an idiot, but he's (at the moment) only a provincial PM, that still backpedals from idiotic ideas his party puts forward when the public hears them (like this new gender identity proposal). The biggest issue with Canada is that on Nov 20th 2018 I will have -16C tomorrow night. It's the middle of autumn for crying out loud. Autumn. Does Canada know what that word means? Obviously not since we got snow and ice a week ago after 2 weeks of rain and lovely "fall" weather.

And I'm sure that 2019 will be just like 2018 with a blizzard in the middle of April. I'd take Florida mosquitoes and alligators over this.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I’m somewhat going the other direction in a sense. Considering Singapore even though I’m terrible with heat but I like my food and don’t mind an authoritative regime if I get something out of it and life is good for the most part (which I really am not going to get in the US not the wife).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

I’m somewhat going the other direction in a sense. Considering Singapore even though I’m terrible with heat but I like my food and don’t mind an authoritative regime if I get something out of it and life is good for the most part (which I really am not going to get in the US not the wife).

How easy/hard is to get a work permit/residency there?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Easier than a lot of countries but it’ll be biased for those with college / graduate degrees and those with more experience. Oh, and you’d need to get sponsorship from a rather large company in all probability like with most countries. There’s a self-assessment form at https://services.mom.gov.sg/sat/satcontroller

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

as long as you're from one of the good countries, i.e. the west, you'll be fine

and by fine i mean you won't suffer racism

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Boiled Water posted:

as long as you're from one of the good countries, i.e. the west, you'll be fine

and by fine i mean you won't suffer racism

... much.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
World's swinging right. Seems like the best you can do is find somewhere that's swinging less.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

redleader posted:

World's swinging right. Seems like the best you can do is find somewhere that's swinging less.

You could, of course, try to improve wherever you find yourself to be living, but I can see how "gently caress you, got mine, I'm out" might be a lazier policy.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

That works fine right up until the point where you have dependents in the crosshairs

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

For fun, I want to (try to) build a program that can generate stories.

Does anyone know of any good resources on artificial intelligence | machine learning | natural language programming?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ither posted:

Does anyone know of any good resources on artificial intelligence | machine learning | natural language programming?

IIRC there's some good discussion in the YOSPoS thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764241

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
poo poo our server dev just logged time spent on a Jira task.
I need to nip this in the bud and come down hard against this.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Gildiss posted:

poo poo our server dev just logged time spent on a Jira task.
I need to nip this in the bud and come down hard against this.

What do you mean by this?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slimy Hog posted:

What do you mean by this?

He marked that he spent 30 minutes working on a task in the Jira story for it.

This could have been at the request of our bumbling CEO.

So I will have to ask the reason why at the dev meeting tomorrow. And kick back hard against these dumbass measurements that only lead to binding delivery date agreements based entirely on flimsy guesses.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
We track time spent in all of our tickets. We capture estimated time overall, estimated time remaining and time completed. They say it isn't used for nefarious things, but our dev manager has a serious hard-on for metrics.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Gildiss posted:

He marked that he spent 30 minutes working on a task in the Jira story for it.

This could have been at the request of our bumbling CEO.

So I will have to ask the reason why at the dev meeting tomorrow. And kick back hard against these dumbass measurements that only lead to binding delivery date agreements based entirely on flimsy guesses.

Ahh, I see! I thought you were mad about a dev counting time spent writing tickets as "work" and I was about to ask why you thought people should be working for free.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

So long as you speak fluent English, nobody cares. Despite the noise about the veil ban, Denmark - just like the rest of the Nordics - is still hilariously liberal compared to the rest of Europe (and the world, really).

Plus, from the perspective of someone wanting to immigrate, they have one of the simplest processes for folks who earn decent wages such as developers - since so long as you have a job waiting for you that pays around 60k USD annually, you pretty much automatically get a visa.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ither posted:

Look up "National Novel Generating Month" or "NaNoGenMo"

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

redleader posted:

I mean, for what it's worth, California isn't. At least within the political party construct.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Steve French posted:

I mean, for what it's worth, California isn't. At least within the political party construct.

Instead it is literally on fire.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Our scrum master has created this whiteboard that's essentially an analogue version of JIRA all because the product owner is too lazy to look at JIRA. We're expected to move post-its representing stories and sub-tasks around the whiteboard to reflect their status. It's so dumb.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Our scrum master has created this whiteboard that's essentially an analogue version of JIRA all because the product owner is too lazy to look at JIRA. We're expected to move post-its representing stories and sub-tasks around the whiteboard to reflect their status. It's so dumb.

Why would anyone want to use Jira when post-its are so much easier?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

poemdexter posted:

Why would anyone want to use Jira when post-its are so much easier?

Exactly. Pus, with JIRA people could be looking at their tasks while not even in the office and could be getting wrong ideas such as "working from home". Better nip that in the bud.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Volguus posted:

Exactly. Pus, with JIRA people could be looking at their tasks while not even in the office and could be getting wrong ideas such as "working from home". Better nip that in the bud.

Lol like I would ever open my work laptop at home.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why not leave it on your desk, then?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Tired: lol if you work from home

Wired: lol if you work

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

rt4 posted:

Why not leave it on your desk, then?

Because I don’t want my boss knowing that I don’t open my laptop when I go home.

toadoftoadhall
Feb 27, 2015
Sole full-time developer working on a large-ish project. It has no tests, policies for testing, policies for using git. How can I start adding these to the project? I'm junior. On a previous project we used Gitlab, and gitlab-ci for testing. This project is hosted on a box with a plain ssh://git server. I could put gitlab on the box, but it would just be for its built-in testing features, which I feel isn't a good reason to install gitlab. I'm not hooked into any large, successful open-source project where I can see examples of software done the right way. Where do I begin?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Install Gitlab for its testing features and also benefit from protecting the master branch and forcing merge requests and a review process. Also, why isn't this repo on the Gitlab server you used earlier? Just put all of your projects on one big Gitlab and save yourself a bunch of confusion.

toadoftoadhall
Feb 27, 2015

rt4 posted:

Install Gitlab for its testing features and also benefit from protecting the master branch and forcing merge requests and a review process. Also, why isn't this repo on the Gitlab server you used earlier? Just put all of your projects on one big Gitlab and save yourself a bunch of confusion.

Previous company. To satisfy my curiosity, what are some alternatives for my use case? Stuff like jenkins, bamboo?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tests are probably your first priority, although you'll need to explain to whoever is paying you that this isn't extraneous fluff and whoever comes next needs to NOT turn this stuff off just because they think it slows them down.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

toadoftoadhall posted:

Previous company. To satisfy my curiosity, what are some alternatives for my use case? Stuff like jenkins, bamboo?
You could use Gitea and then Jenkins or Drone for CI.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You should also make sure that this company has some concept of "backups". Git makes this super easy but they have to actually do it, make sure they are.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
If there are no organizational impediments (security concerns, whatever), don't host your own source control/CI. Use one of the many cloud services out there. I like Azure DevOps / VSTS, but I'm biased. There are plenty of other options.

Hosting your own is fine if you absolutely have to (and there are lots of reasons why -- some good, some bad). But for a small shop where you're the only person? You are going to be wasting time on maintenance/upgrades, and god help you if any of the stuff you set up becomes business critical (protip: it will) and has an outage (protip: it will).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

If there are no organizational impediments (security concerns, whatever), don't host your own source control/CI. Use one of the many cloud services out there. I like Azure DevOps / VSTS, but I'm biased. There are plenty of other options.

Hosting your own is fine if you absolutely have to (and there are lots of reasons why -- some good, some bad). But for a small shop where you're the only person? You are going to be wasting time on maintenance/upgrades, and god help you if any of the stuff you set up becomes business critical (protip: it will) and has an outage (protip: it will).

For a small shop it still may not be worth the cost, especially if all you need is a git endpoint and a "set it and forget it" Jenkins server. Remember, it's one developer, they may not be able to justify a thousand or two extra bucks to do what they can do "for free"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

For a small shop it still may not be worth the cost, especially if all you need is a git endpoint and a "set it and forget it" Jenkins server. Remember, it's one developer, they may not be able to justify a thousand or two extra bucks to do what they can do "for free"

The example I gave is free for 5 users and has 30 hours of free builds per month.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 24, 2018

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Volmarias posted:

Tests are probably your first priority, although you'll need to explain to whoever is paying you that this isn't extraneous fluff and whoever comes next needs to NOT turn this stuff off just because they think it slows them down.

To piggy back off this; you probably won't be able to justify (or necessarily want to) go back and write tests for any existing code. Instead you make sure that tests are being written for any new code OR for any changes to existing code. You make sure this happens by trying to build out a "code-review" culture. I'm not super familar with GitLab, but if it's like GitHub, you make it so that people can't just force code onto the build branch, instead they have to make a branch, go through the code-review (which should include you at some point saying "it looks like these functions aren't covered by tests, you should add those") and then not merging the code to the build branch until it satisfies those conditions. If there are any other folks who are committing code to repo (even if it's just occasionally) see if you can get them to buy into your idea. Try the younger ones first. It's a lot harder for mangers to steamroll two engineers than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

GitHub protected branches are easy. Coveralls.io has a checkbox to fail the PR if coverage goes down. There are 350,000 cloud build services that will build your PRs automatically. If your workplace is anything like mine, getting approval to spend $30 a month on this stuff would take more time than setting all of it up.