Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tias posted:

So the parliament of world religions was just held in Toronto, and I'm happy to say Heathens Against Hate (of which my blót guild is a signatory) came and held a baller lecture on inclusive heathenry!

This lady knows what's up:

That's Diane Paxton! I met her at Sirius Rising in 2015 and she seemed pretty rad.

I was at the Parliament as a performer in the Egyptian ritual play and it was a hella good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

hegel grimoire trip report number 3: the lesser key of solomon.

this is very influential. crowley read it, the chaos magicians from the 70s read it (and turned it into BULLSHIT, but i digress :argh:), and what nobody says is that it teaches you how to summon infernal spirits (usually evil), spirits of the air (good or evil), and angels of the planets, hours, and zodiac (good)...who will teach you the kinds of things you learn in college. Astronomy, liberal arts, rhetoric, ethics, medicine, law.

is this just the world's most arduous correspondence course? online courses exist now! you do not have to summon a spirit with the body of a wolf, the wings of a griffin, the tail of a snake, and the head of a human being, who speaks one third truth and two thirds lies, to appear within your magic circle and then teach you engineering!

http://www.esotericarchives.com/solomon/lemegeton.htm#contents

also it's here that sigils start being sigils of the spirit you're summoning, rather than a symbol of God that you show to the spirit you're summoning in order to intimidate it.

edit: you can also summon your guardian angel into a crystal, so you can look at it

I know a guy who's doing a re-work of Ars Notoria with the actual artwork, which is pretty amazing.

All the goetes I know are pretty hardcore and here I am just having done two experiments with Drawing Spirits Into Crystals. Sachiel is a total bro, yo.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mad Hamish posted:

two experiments with Drawing Spirits Into Crystals.
so what's it for, for you? so you can stare at them?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

so what's it for, for you? so you can stare at them?

Generally speaking, with conjurations you're either asking them to give you information or do favours of some sort for you.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

this is very influential. crowley read it, the chaos magicians from the 70s read it (and turned it into BULLSHIT, but i digress :argh:), and what nobody says is that it teaches you how to summon infernal spirits (usually evil), spirits of the air (good or evil), and angels of the planets, hours, and zodiac (good)...who will teach you the kinds of things you learn in college. Astronomy, liberal arts, rhetoric, ethics, medicine, law.

is this just the world's most arduous correspondence course? online courses exist now! you do not have to summon a spirit with the body of a wolf, the wings of a griffin, the tail of a snake, and the head of a human being, who speaks one third truth and two thirds lies, to appear within your magic circle and then teach you engineering!

also it's here that sigils start being sigils of the spirit you're summoning, rather than a symbol of God that you show to the spirit you're summoning in order to intimidate it.

edit: you can also summon your guardian angel into a crystal, so you can look at it

I mean it beats taking out student loans.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Freudian posted:

I mean it beats taking out student loans.

abaddon university, one-on-one instruction from qualified professionals in the privacy of your own summoning circle

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GUNS posted:

When I was a senior in high school we had to do a research project and being a weirdo into weird things I chose the Lesser Key of Solomon and my teacher totally ran with it and helped me learn how to research that kind of literature. She was the best, I purposely sat directly in front of her desk in class because she had a habit of talking poo poo and naming names when she was grading.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HEY GUNS posted:

from reddit today:

A very succinct answer to the earlier issue of "why do so many self-identified 'religious people' care so deeply about LGBT issues that don't affect them in any way."

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Mad Hamish posted:

I know a guy who's doing a re-work of Ars Notoria with the actual artwork, which is pretty amazing.

All the goetes I know are pretty hardcore and here I am just having done two experiments with Drawing Spirits Into Crystals. Sachiel is a total bro, yo.

I’m interested in hearing more about what you mean by hardcore. From my perspective, which is extremely limited, drawing spirits seems pretty hardcore. If you’re not supposed to tell, no worries.

My favorite part of this thread is hearing from so many different spiritualities. Feels like travel.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m Catholic by blood and my god has my upbringing reinforced my beliefs. The amount
of poo poo I’ve got from these loving Protestants denigrating my faith is something I will never reconcile.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It’s gotten to the point where I genuinely hate Protestants

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sponges posted:

As a Protestant, I'd like to be the first to welcome you to the thread. :cheers:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

sponges posted:

those drat prots :doom:

one of my best friends in undergrad would unironically rant about the prots and I would gently point out that this is a Lutheran college lol

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 22, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sponges posted:

Got tired of looking in the mirror, eh?

https://i.imgur.com/mBGOjWG.mp4

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mad Hamish posted:

That's Diane Paxton! I met her at Sirius Rising in 2015 and she seemed pretty rad.

I was at the Parliament as a performer in the Egyptian ritual play and it was a hella good time.

She's hella cool! I can't say I've met her, but she's definitely a radical heathen :v:

The picture is of her leading a sumbel/symbel to the ancestors at the parliament the 2nd of November.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

sponges posted:

I’m Catholic by blood and my god has my upbringing reinforced my beliefs. The amount
of poo poo I’ve got from these loving Protestants denigrating my faith is something I will never reconcile.
gently caress whoever said that to you

welcome to silly hats thread

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

qualified professionals
would you take ethics from this man

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'd chat with the person who drew that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PT6A posted:

A very succinct answer to the earlier issue of "why do so many self-identified 'religious people' care so deeply about LGBT issues that don't affect them in any way."
this is why it's called warfare, because calling yourself the first of sinners at church may be easy but actually meaning it and doing something about it is very difficult

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 22, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caufman posted:

I'd chat with the person who drew that.

The STEMLords Of Hell

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news...-20181122179737

Did Tias write this?

Mr Enderby fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 22, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

I would if I had thought of it!

I frolic too little, now that I think about it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
too cold to frolic atm

Tias
May 25, 2008

/weedy southernsay

I only close my window when there's snow on my feet.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
fuuuuuck

i get under the blankets in sept and i don't come out till april

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GUNS posted:

fuuuuuck

i get under the blankets in sept and i don't come out till april

I used to love the cold but it seems like with each passing year my tolerance to cold gets smaller and smaller. Snow silence is still Best Silence, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I on the other hand have opened the sliding glass doors to the porch to let that 65 degree air in, relishing the two or three weeks of the year when it's this cold where I am. :v:

https://i.imgur.com/JNUBUaH.mp4

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I love cold weather, and wish England got colder in winter. It snowed quite heavily in London last year, and late at night I wrapped myself in my big overcoat, put a bottle of rum in my pocket, and jumped the chained gates of a nearby park.

I found a bench sheltered by a ceder, and sat staring through fast-falling snow surrounded by a vibrating silence. After what felt like maybe ten minutes, I glanced at my watch, and saw that about an hour and a half had slipped by. That was one of the times in my life when I really experienced a taste of the numinous. Obviously the rum might have been a factor.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
You could pray to a saint, but the really famous ones probably have a huge backlog. Getting on one of those lists is like getting seats at the latest famous restaurant. So instead, you could pray to some dude.

(one of the Orthodox versions of this is that if st Phanourios grants your prayer you have to bake a cake and pray for his mom)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 22, 2018

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I’m interested in hearing more about what you mean by hardcore. From my perspective, which is extremely limited, drawing spirits seems pretty hardcore. If you’re not supposed to tell, no worries.

My favorite part of this thread is hearing from so many different spiritualities. Feels like travel.

Oh, they just go whole hog into it. Brazen vessel, belt of lionskin, all the lamens and stuff, Strong Opinions on Mathers VS. Peterson VS. Skinner, the whole thing. It's very cool and impressive and honestly I think it's just way too much work.

This isn't something I can't talk about because it's secret, I don't think I should talk as though I'm an expert because it's just not something I do. Goetia is hard work and I'm lazy. Wicca is way more my speed. There's much less ritual fasting and abstinence, most of the time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

sponges posted:

I'm surprised, from the same sort of background, I ended up being extremely leery of Catholics. The worst I ever got out of a mainline Protestant was aggressively friendly handshakes and a surfeit of hot dish.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 22, 2018

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

As always, I think it really depends where you are. I’ve heard pastors not so subtly imply Catholicism will put you in hell, because you know, works. Most people I know now are interested in Ecumenicism.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Most of the churches around here still unironically pass out chick tracts

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

It’s hard for me to knock tracts too much because one converted my father in the 70’s. He was hitchhiking, likely high, and frightened the woman who picked him up in her limo. She kicked him out, gave him a tract, and he was somehow converted.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Religion thread, I come seeking an answer to something that's been on my mind off and on over the years but I really want to ask somebody this who actually has a working knowledge of theology, philosophy, all that good stuff I try to study but y dumb brain and attention span keeps me from learning properly.

Is suffering more powerful than happiness?

I have a hypothetical in mind to try and get my meaning across. There are ten starving people and I can give food to nine of them. For whatever reason, I just have nothing left for the tenth person. Now, I've done good according to my ideas of good. The world is a better place for those nine people no longer suffering. But I can't feel any accomplishment because of that tenth person. One out of ten and yet their plight is so much more powerful than the contentment of the other nine. Even if you could wave a wand and make most every human being on Earth happy, could we enjoy the happiness knowing that others are still in misery?

Just been in a bit of a nihilistic "what is it all for" streak lately. I don't think I want to be but alternatives are hard.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I have not studied those good things. But I look at it like - I can make the world better, but I can't make it all the way better. That would take everyone. I'm not that important.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HopperUK posted:

I have not studied those good things. But I look at it like - I can make the world better, but I can't make it all the way better. That would take everyone. I'm not that important.

Same. The fact that I can't solve all the world's problems doesn't stop me from solving the ones I can. It's a collective effort - we all do what we can and try to fill the gaps left by others. We try to emulate God while being painfully aware that we're not God and can't do it all.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
everyone in this thread is from the upper midwest

speaking of, as a mod can you unprobate Luthah Mahtin? he's probed for an insane # of hours which has to be some kind of mistake

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
He asked for it from FAU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

everyone in this thread is from the upper midwest

Speak for yourself, I'm from the Deep South (my mom's side of the family is from Illinois, though), Florida born and raised. My dad's side of the family first came to Florida when it was a Spanish territory - they were Danish Catholics who felt pressured to flee Denmark for their faith, according to the family legend.

https://i.imgur.com/Ssp9Ffl.mp4