Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

anybody here know if you can stick wemo mini plugs on a guest wifi network (vlan) and control them on google home minis on the main network? they're on the same router but i want to keep them isolated if possible. couldn't find any docs that mention doing this for google or wemo and i already had a hell of time getting the wemos paired to my mini on the same network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Acer Pilot posted:

anybody here know if you can stick wemo mini plugs on a guest wifi network (vlan) and control them on google home minis on the main network? they're on the same router but i want to keep them isolated if possible. couldn't find any docs that mention doing this for google or wemo and i already had a hell of time getting the wemos paired to my mini on the same network.

Maybe not. A lot of those need to be on the same broadcast domain to discover each other, and your guest network isn't going to be the same broadcast domain as your main network.

Looking at the Wemo skill for Google Home, there are several mentions of only seeing devices on the same subnet, so yeah, won't work. https://assistant.google.com/services/r/uid/0000000f321da4cc?hl=en-US

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Got a little frisky yesterday, threw together an ESP8266 into my alarm control panel.

Just have it set up for monitoring, and remote arming right now, don't really feel great putting my alarm code in the config to enable disarming.

Got all the status stuff into my Home Assistant server.

That's cool, how do you have it interfaced? Does the alarm have something like a RS232 or RS485 interface on it? Are you using something like esphomelib on the ESP?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Nullsmack posted:

That's cool, how do you have it interfaced? Does the alarm have something like a RS232 or RS485 interface on it? Are you using something like esphomelib on the ESP?

Interfacing on the keybus for the keypads. It's a DSC panel.

Here's the config I used: https://github.com/taligentx/dscKeybusInterface

I'm using the Home Assistant MQTT example with no changes other than my SSID and MQTT server information.

Also, I really need to put a power regulator inbetween the power from the alarm panel and the ESP. The on board regulator can technically handle it, but it's awfully hot. Should probably just throw together a 5 or 7v regulator with a couple caps and throw it between the power on the panel and my board.

mewse
May 2, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Interfacing on the keybus for the keypads. It's a DSC panel.

Here's the config I used: https://github.com/taligentx/dscKeybusInterface

I'm using the Home Assistant MQTT example with no changes other than my SSID and MQTT server information.

Also, I really need to put a power regulator inbetween the power from the alarm panel and the ESP. The on board regulator can technically handle it, but it's awfully hot. Should probably just throw together a 5 or 7v regulator with a couple caps and throw it between the power on the panel and my board.

Did you have to do a factory reset on the dsc panel when you took it over? I've got an old system installed in my house and I might have to call the alarm company to come reconfigure it

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Got a little frisky yesterday, threw together an ESP8266 into my alarm control panel.

Just have it set up for monitoring, and remote arming right now, don't really feel great putting my alarm code in the config to enable disarming.

Got all the status stuff into my Home Assistant server.

For those interested in integrating alarm stuff into HA, but where they have a panel like mine (Simon XTi) that doesn’t provide an easy way to interface with it, I went the other route and set up an RTL-SDR sniffer to grab the sensor radio traffic directly. (It’s at 319.5 MHz, not 433, or I’d have done it with an ESP and a cheap Chinese radio module instead.)

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

Did you have to do a factory reset on the dsc panel when you took it over? I've got an old system installed in my house and I might have to call the alarm company to come reconfigure it

Nope. Didn't change a thing, and I still have a monitoring company. I'm pretty sure if you've got the right kind of DSC panel, it'll just ride alongside the existing keypads, reading status signals and injecting what it needs. No panel configuration needed.

mewse
May 2, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Nope. Didn't change a thing, and I still have a monitoring company. I'm pretty sure if you've got the right kind of DSC panel, it'll just ride alongside the existing keypads, reading status signals and injecting what it needs. No panel configuration needed.

I just don't have any of the codes because my house was basically an estate sale, and I'm missing a door jam sensor on my front door. I might have to follow some janky internet directions to pretend I'm an alarm company installer and reset everything, or call the company that installed it.

I installed an Eyezon kit for self monitoring but I like your setup better.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

I just don't have any of the codes because my house was basically an estate sale, and I'm missing a door jam sensor on my front door. I might have to follow some janky internet directions to pretend I'm an alarm company installer and reset everything, or call the company that installed it.

I installed an Eyezon kit for self monitoring but I like your setup better.

Oh, well, if you've already got the Eyezon kit, you can integrate that directly into Home Assistant. Would allow you to get exactly the same readouts and commands that I've got set up.

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/envisalink/

mewse
May 2, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Oh, well, if you've already got the Eyezon kit, you can integrate that directly into Home Assistant. Would allow you to get exactly the same readouts and commands that I've got set up.

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/envisalink/

I was completely unaware of this, thank you!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone have any experience with smart thermostats in an old apartment building? Definitely looks high-voltage, so Nest is out, but if anyone has any recommendations that have worked (Mysa says it'll work with high-voltage, but is dodgy in the entire "ah, but will it actually" when I go through the tests on the website).

(this assumes the building owners are cool with it, of course)

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

How good are those lorex 4K security cameras?

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
My ring spotlight cam keeps recording motion alerts that just show a black screen. Anyone know what the issue is?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's night.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Btw, just a heads up guys
https://slickdeals.net/f/12314917-150-for-2-ring-spotlight-cam-wired?v=1

Price mistake apparently? Supposed to be $150 for a ring spotlight cam, but add two to cart and it's still $150 (so $75 each). You might want to do store pickup and run in today, assuimng $75 per Ring Spotlight Cam is a good deal. Also works on battery powered ones:

Wired:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ring-Spotlight-Cam-Wired-Outdoor-Rectangle-Security-Camera-White-8SH1P7-WEN0/301575413
Probably works on Black kind of busy right now.

Wireless (Battery):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ring-Sp...-WEN0/302560455
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ring-Sp...-BEN0/302560459

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

BeAuMaN posted:

Btw, just a heads up guys
https://slickdeals.net/f/12314917-150-for-2-ring-spotlight-cam-wired?v=1

Price mistake apparently? Supposed to be $150 for a ring spotlight cam, but add two to cart and it's still $150 (so $75 each). You might want to do store pickup and run in today, assuimng $75 per Ring Spotlight Cam is a good deal. Also works on battery powered ones:

Wired:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ring-Spotlight-Cam-Wired-Outdoor-Rectangle-Security-Camera-White-8SH1P7-WEN0/301575413
Probably works on Black kind of busy right now.

Wireless (Battery):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ring-Sp...-WEN0/302560455
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ring-Sp...-BEN0/302560459

These any good? Can they interface with Insteon Hub?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'd really like some people who actually know about Cameras to comment. I just know Ring is usually in that area of "Pretty good hardware with a premium for easy setup and use interface", or so I recall mostly reading at some point in this thread. I do know historically this is a super low price, and the white wireless one is no longer doing normal shipping since I posted. (Well, Express Shipping for $35 now)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Also what features do you lose (if any) if you don't use their subscription service.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

TraderStav posted:

Also what features do you lose (if any) if you don't use their subscription service.

https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I assume if I'm a cheap rear end nerd there are other products out there that accomplish similar functions and I roll my own server to do the video storage and such?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TraderStav posted:

I assume if I'm a cheap rear end nerd there are other products out there that accomplish similar functions and I roll my own server to do the video storage and such?

You can get cameras for like $20-$30 and set up Blue Iris for like $50. Of course, no name cameras have that small chance of sending pictures to China...but hey, that's how we roll!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

TraderStav posted:

Yeah pretty much. This thread covers the hell out of that. I've read a lot of great advice for when I eventually want to try out doing a Blue Iris setup with some halfway decent cameras.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Now that's hilarious and terrifying.

I threw an order for pickup for two black ones. Will research later and if I change my mind return or resell them.

Pure impulse buy as I'm not in the market but could see a use for them. Curious to see how they interact with my Insteon/Alexa/Harmony set up. If at all.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

IUG posted:

That's night.

Assuming that you aren't joking, that's not what I'm talking about. Frequently (day or night) recorded video will just be a black screen with the ring watermark. Any ideas?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Huh got a shipping confirmation on the camera two pack. Nice to see "Total $399, discount of $249" on the receipt. I expected that to be cancelled 100%

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I ordered for store pickup since the one I wanted to order was OOS for shipping. They're actually called me by accident, saying that mine was okay and set aside but they were calling others to say they couldn't fulfill it. Glad it worked out for you dude :thumbsup:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BeAuMaN posted:

Yeah I ordered for store pickup since the one I wanted to order was OOS for shipping. They're actually called me by accident, saying that mine was okay and set aside but they were calling others to say they couldn't fulfill it. Glad it worked out for you dude :thumbsup:

Yeah it was a good deal but I spent 13 years in retail so I don't go anywhere near a B&M store this week, so not worth in store pickup. :D

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Medullah posted:

My sister's ex has been breaking into her house and wrecking stuff, but of course it's when no one is home and she can't prove it. My dad wants to pay for security cameras for her, what would you guys recommend for a not-so-technical person that's fairly easy to set up and monitor?

Wyzecam. Cheap ($20) and no monthly subs. 12 seconds cloud clips, or add a micros sd card for continuous recording

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Replaced a carrier Cor thermostat with an ecobee 4 with 2 room sensors and I’m super happy with it. It’s perfectly accurate and the room sensors help keep the temp I want. The thermostat is on a wall close to the kitchen so it’s a degree or two warmer over there.

Pretty neat piece of kit. The built in Alexa works well too. I recommend it if anyone needs a new thermostat

Also setup a smart things hub and a few Zwave switches to control my Xmas lights. Technology is grand

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

skipdogg posted:

Replaced a carrier Cor thermostat with an ecobee 4 with 2 room sensors and I’m super happy with it. It’s perfectly accurate and the room sensors help keep the temp I want. The thermostat is on a wall close to the kitchen so it’s a degree or two warmer over there.

Pretty neat piece of kit. The built in Alexa works well too. I recommend it if anyone needs a new thermostat

Also setup a smart things hub and a few Zwave switches to control my Xmas lights. Technology is grand

Nice. I was hell bent on getting that same one but found a great deal on a Nest. Just got it installed and it's pretty neat. Curious to see how it adjusts.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

What is the best device to do presence detection for individual rooms, such that I can walk into a room and have the lights come on in < 0.5 seconds? Home Assistant is my hub, with a mix of Hue and Z-wave devices, as well as assorted lights and switches.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

porkface posted:

What is the best device to do presence detection for individual rooms, such that I can walk into a room and have the lights come on in < 0.5 seconds? Home Assistant is my hub, with a mix of Hue and Z-wave devices, as well as assorted lights and switches.

I'd do strategically placed z-wave motion detectors.

You'll have to play around with Home Assistant automations and placement to make sure that you don't have lights going off on you if you're, for example, sitting on the couch watching TV. Of course, that's also if you want to automate turning the lights off when no motion is detected. A bit simpler to just have the motion turn the lights on.

Might also want to look at motion sensors with light sensors built in, or separate light sensors, if you don't want the lights coming on when there's plenty of natural light in the room. There are multi-sensors that do motion, temp, humidity, light and more all in one sensor.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

n0tqu1tesane posted:

external IR illuminator

Does anyone have a recommendation for one?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Heners_UK posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for one?

I bought this one at it’s plenty good. Really lit up the night vision area I pointed it to very well.

CMVision IR110-114 LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZX1M88?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

porkface posted:

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'd do strategically placed z-wave motion detectors.

I agree with this, but I also wanted to mention another option if you're nerdy enough and want to save a lot of money. You can build your own wifi motion sensors for $10-15 bucks that also do humidity, temperature, and lux. An equivalent zwave sensor is like 50 bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpjfVc-9IrQ

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
If I'm open to cloud or local as far as a hub goes, what's considered the current best that I should be looking for this cyber Monday? I don't see many sales or anything, but was curious what the hive mind likes now. Would like to have Zwave plus support for some leviton lights.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dalrain posted:

If I'm open to cloud or local as far as a hub goes, what's considered the current best that I should be looking for this cyber Monday? I don't see many sales or anything, but was curious what the hive mind likes now. Would like to have Zwave plus support for some leviton lights.

If you're at all technically capable, a Raspberry Pi with a zwave stick running Home Assistant is what I'd go with.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I just went with a Samsung SmartThings hub for now. Hubitat looked neat as an alternative though it seems young. I don't want to mess with a roll your own system, and I have a few Samsung appliances already so I just went with it.

That plus Alexa and I'm having a blast automating stuff around the house. Nothing major or fancy, just a few routines and schedules. My wife is on board with it too which is cool.

With as many Wifi options are out there, I debated even going down the Zwave path at all, and I'm recommending a cousin who just wants a few light switches automated to skip it and just get WeMo or TPLink wifi switches instead.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

skipdogg posted:

I just went with a Samsung SmartThings hub for now. Hubitat looked neat as an alternative though it seems young. I don't want to mess with a roll your own system, and I have a few Samsung appliances already so I just went with it.

That plus Alexa and I'm having a blast automating stuff around the house. Nothing major or fancy, just a few routines and schedules. My wife is on board with it too which is cool.

With as many Wifi options are out there, I debated even going down the Zwave path at all, and I'm recommending a cousin who just wants a few light switches automated to skip it and just get WeMo or TPLink wifi switches instead.

I like how easy wifi options are, but...

They're kind of a bitch in a bad-for-your-network-and-your-neighbors-networks kinda way. On top of the usual problems with adding more congestion to the RF spectrum, they're really going to gently caress you over when you want to upgrade to an 802.11ax router. When legacy devices communicate they prevent 802.11ax clients from actually using 802.11ax.

This is why generally speaking I try to keep wifi for only mobile devices like phones and laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Sounds like 802.11ax is a failure waiting to happen.