Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Main Paineframe posted:

are most front-end devs unemployed or something?

technically, because their time is worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

leper khan posted:

hot take: the gdb protocol is good

it’s not though, it’s terrible

everything supports it though so everybody needs to support it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MononcQc posted:

I try to always debug my stuff with mechanisms that are available to run on a production system so that way I'm:

a. training to be better at debugging poo poo in prod during an incident
b. finding spots where my system is not debuggable/observable enough early on

I don't use a standard debugger unless that debugger would be safe to use in prod, but usually breakpoints are not prod-safe and a lot of debuggers run on that so I tend to avoid them a bunch unless I really can't.

only people working on servers need to care about this though

people writing software for end users don’t have to worry about it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

that's literally you guys and the microsoft guys, nowadays

and the company i worked at until a few weeks ago altho despite being boring edutech some of our customers insisted on putting computers with our software inside a fuckin faraday cage so it had to be shrinkwrap-style

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Flat Daddy posted:

on the react website its like "don't use this unless you need it, and even then only use it where it's needed." on the redux website it says "you sure as gently caress don't need this.... but just in case here you go".
and now web developers have made it so\ redux is the de facto way to make, like, the page transition when you click a link lol

uh, the web browser itself makes a transition when a user clicks a link

why would there need to be JavaScript involved in that at all

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

because the new thing is to pretend that browsers are electron with weird constraints

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

eschaton posted:

you must be new here

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

because the new thing is to pretend that browsers are electron with weird constraints

Electron is haraam

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

eschaton posted:

because javascript is the future, maaaaaaan

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
cant wait for browsers disable scrolling by default and just expect people to implement it in javascript

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
INFINITE SCROLLING

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
gently caress infinite scroll and gently caress sites that implement their own smooth scrolling when every mobile device already does that and it's so annoying on desktop browsers that I already turned it off gently caress you site

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

web developers who reinvent any kind of browser-supplied UI control should be stabbed in the nuts

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

web developers who break the back button should be sewn in a sack and tossed in the loving sea.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
My favorite feature of infinite scrolling is when you visit another page and then try and hit the back or forward button, it doesn't even have the courtesy of remembering the loving spot on the page you were at.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

most terrible site I’ve seen so far had one page and a huge JavaScript that waited on the user clicking. depending on what text your cursor was over when you click decided how the page changed.

there were no buttons so back sent you back usually to the blank page your browser opens with

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

hailthefish posted:

web developers who break the back button should be sewn in a sack and tossed in the loving sea.

oracles poo poo stack of peoplesoft related piss break the back button so badly I want to scream

nothing is a link, it's all Javascript functions, the url never changes, lord help you if you hit the back button out of habit, you're all the way back to the first page

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

eschaton posted:

Yeah that's fair. I guess what I'm saying is that if you're working on server software, operators are some of your users as well and so you should get used to their workflow the same way understanding the end users' is important as well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cjs: diagraming in TikZ

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

code:

<column>
<rawdata>
<richhtml>![CDATA[ no] ]</richhtml>
</rawdata>
<displaydata>![CDATA[ 1234567] ]</displaydata>
</column>

what the actual gently caress

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:rip:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
just learned about functional css/atomic css

holy poo poo, it is absolutely the worst css-related idea I've ever heard

though now that I think about it, I can't think of any good css-related ideas

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

the one where you make someone deal with the css

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

like the core idea of css (separate appearance markup from actual content, set once and apply everywhere) is good, it's just everything about actually using it is lovely

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

code:
<column>
<rawdata>
<richhtml>![CDATA[ no] ]</richhtml>
</rawdata>
<displaydata>![CDATA[ 1234567] ]</displaydata>
</column>
what the actual gently caress

xml ladies and gentlemen

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The best CSS-related idea I've ever heard is BEM, whose core concept is "avoid, at all costs, the cascade".

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ctps: just found out that a "clever" algorithm i wrote in 2016 has been producing subtly incorrect results all along and i don't know how to fix it

the good news is nobody else has noticed yet!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how much functionality depends on the mistakes?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i don't think anything is going to be relying on the incorrect behavior, if that's what you mean. fixing it might lead to a few inconsistencies in existing data but once it's fixed i can detect those and they won't be hard to resolve if any of them even matter

just ... ugh. it's a graph thing. gonna have to break out the pencil and paper and reason about it like some kind of caveman

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Doom Mathematic posted:

The best CSS-related idea I've ever heard is BEM, whose core concept is "avoid, at all costs, the cascade".

this is even better https://adamwathan.me/css-utility-classes-and-separation-of-concerns/

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
the whole notion that css and html are "different concerns" is just insane to me
this whole idea of BEM and everything around it is manual busywork that finally (seems to be) addressed by web components

interested to see how "the frontend community" will mess up those, though

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

akadajet posted:

xml ladies and gentlemen

displaydata and rawdata are supposed to be representing the same data point :negative:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lol

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

ctps: loving around with protocol buffers and gRPC for some special one off nonsense poo poo I'll have to do at work, it seems pretty neat

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Sagacity posted:

the whole notion that css and html are "different concerns" is just insane to me
Back when this was a big big point, a bunch of designers/integrators got together to work on the CSS Zen Garden: http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/ -- it's a website where people would submit designs that were all done purely in CSS, over the same underlying HTML. They have over 200 designs that all look relatively different.

It didn't necessarily age the best in terms of style, but back in the mid-2000s, it was a pretty cool demo of the ideals of separating presentation (CSS) from the semantics of the data itself (HTML). And all of that poo poo worked on most browsers in a day where IE6 and IE7 were very common still.

The ideal of separating them suffered a whole lot more when JS became a much bigger deal, and then you had one thing trying to eat at the structure and presentation and interaction of the work, so now you use React and embed everything in JS.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 22, 2018

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
the css zen garden always seemed more like a 'party trick' to me then something actually useful

i mean, i think they also wanted to argue that css and html were 'separate concerns', but then in order for it to work you'd have to author your html in a VERY SPECIFIC WAY to make it work with the css: the structure of your html is dictated by the limitations of css, so they are not separate at all

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
css and html being separate makes sense if your divs and spans represent hypertext documents where the semantics are straightforward and the styling is purely an aesthetic matter.

the separation makes much less sense when your html elements are being abused to simulate the widgets of a proper desktop gui toolkit.

i.e. css = good for data, bad for code

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

akadajet posted:

xml ladies and gentlemen

Better than json. The data is still garbage but at least I KNOW I can parse it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Soricidus posted:

css and html being separate makes sense if your divs and spans represent hypertext documents where the semantics are straightforward and the styling is purely an aesthetic matter.

the separation makes much less sense when your html elements are being abused to simulate the widgets of a proper desktop gui toolkit.

i.e. css = good for data, bad for code

if your HTML doesn’t represent hypertext documents where the semantics are straightforward and the styling is purely an aesthetic matter, then what you’re doing should not involve HTML, you should write a native app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

eschaton posted:

if your HTML doesn’t represent hypertext documents where the semantics are straightforward and the styling is purely an aesthetic matter, then what you’re doing should not involve HTML, you should write a native app

:hai: